Server hardware - OS2

This is a discussion on Server hardware - OS2 ; Need a new server to run OS/2 Warp Server. Does anyone run Warp Server on any current IBM server or any other well known brand? Suggestions are welcome. Thks, Peter...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Server hardware

  1. Server hardware

    Need a new server to run OS/2 Warp Server.
    Does anyone run Warp Server on any current IBM server
    or any other well known brand?
    Suggestions are welcome.
    Thks, Peter

  2. Re: Server hardware

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 19:53:35 UTC, PJ wrote:

    > Need a new server to run OS/2 Warp Server.
    > Does anyone run Warp Server on any current IBM server
    > or any other well known brand?


    I'm using an IBM Server 206m. This is a 3.2GHz P4 with 512MB of memory.
    Also has a CDROM drive and a diskette drive (fitted afterwards).

    This model range comes with SCSI (well, SAS) options; AVOID. The Adaptec
    chip is completely unsupported. More details...

    Basic motherboard supports 4 SATA connectors. Uses an Intel controller
    chip, well supported by the Dani driver. CDROM is on a standard ATAPI
    connection. Disks fit into plastic slides (best to buy these from IBM
    Spares, then fit your own disks); four bays. In standard configuration,
    disks are cabled directly.

    There are PCI slots, also a PCI-E x1 and a x8. Onboard ATI 7000 graphics
    supported by SNAP. Onboard 10/100/1000 Ethernet via a Broadcom chip, but
    only a basic NDIS driver available; I intend changing to a better card.

    There are hot swap and simple swap options. There is also an option for
    two extra PCI-X slots on a daughterboard. I got the hot swap, PCI-X
    option, which supports SAS and SATA.

    What I didn't realise is that the SAS/SATA models support *both* SAS and
    SATA via the unsupported Adaptec chip! So although I only wanted SATA, I
    couldn't use it. Solution was to remove the little 'grand-daughter'
    board with the Adaptec chip, and use the onboard SATA (removing the
    SAS/SATA backplane from the hot swap bays). In retrospect, should have
    bought a cheaper model, and bought the PCI-X extension as a spare part.

    Which is what I did when I bought a second one!

    Have had this nearly a year now, and it's been good. And I got 3 years'
    on-site warranty. As usual, the machine is a dream to work on.

    --
    Bob Eager



  3. Re: Server hardware

    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 19:53:35 UTC, PJ wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Need a new server to run OS/2 Warp Server.
    >>Does anyone run Warp Server on any current IBM server
    >>or any other well known brand?

    >
    >
    > I'm using an IBM Server 206m. This is a 3.2GHz P4 with 512MB of memory.
    > Also has a CDROM drive and a diskette drive (fitted afterwards).
    >
    > This model range comes with SCSI (well, SAS) options; AVOID. The Adaptec
    > chip is completely unsupported. More details...
    >

    Is this the 8485-ECG model?
    Peter

  4. Re: Server hardware

    One dealer claims he has a IBM xSeries 226 available, specs below.
    Would appreciate comments.
    Thks, Peter

    xSeries 226 Express Seller Model

    Model Name: 8648ECG
    Part Number: 8648ECG

    Architecture
    Orientations allowed: Vertical
    Slots x bays total (free): 6(6) x 9(7)
    Form factor: Tower
    Hot Swap Bays - Standard: 6/6
    Cooling System:

    Processor
    SMP processors std: 1
    SMP processors max 2
    BIOS type: Flash
    Processor (CPU): Intel Xeon Processor with Hyper-Threading
    Technology, EM64T
    Processor internal clock speed: 3.00GHz
    Front Side Bus: 800MHz
    Processor manufacturer: Intel
    Internal L2 Cache Size: 2MB

    Memory
    Memory (RAM) std/max: 512MB / 12GB
    Optional RAM configuration: 256:512:1024:2048MB DIMMs (should be
    installed in pairs)
    RAM slots total: 6 DIMM
    RAM slots available: 5 DIMM
    RAM speed supported: 400MHz
    RAM type: PC2-3200 DDR2 SDRAM

    Hard Disk
    Number of installed hard disks:
    Hard disk size1: GB
    Hard disk controller: Integrated Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI
    Hard disk type:
    Max hard disk capacity: 1.8TB

    Graphics Subsystem
    Video RAM std/max: 16MB/16MB
    Description: ATI RADEON 7000M
    Graphics Data Width: 32-bit
    Video RAM Type: DDR SDRAM
    Resolution (max) with Standard Video RAM: 1024x768 16777216 colors
    Max resolution (with max video RAM): 1024x768 16777216 colors
    Max colors (with std video RAM): 16777216
    Graphics Bus Interface: PCI 2.2

    Optical device
    Floppy diskette size: 3.5" 1.44MB
    Optical device type: CD-ROM
    Optical device speed: 48X Max
    Device interface: EIDE
    Average transfer rate: --
    Average access time: 80ms
    Transport: Front tray loading

    Communications
    Network interface: Gigabit Ethernet
    Network speed: 1000Mbps,100Mbps,10Mbps

    Power Management
    Heat emissions: --
    Sound emissions: 61dB
    Power: 530W
    Power supply type: 100-127V and 200-240V auto-sensing

    Weight & Dimentions
    Weight: 25.8Kg
    Height: 467.4mm
    Width: 165mm
    Depth: 660mm

    Security
    Security features: Keyboardless and displayless operation
    Selectable boot
    U-Bolt anchoring feature
    Mechanical locks
    Power-on password

    Limited warranty
    Type of service: Onsite Repair
    Warranty period: One year parts and labour

    Expansion Options
    Plug and play support:
    SMP Capable:
    Parallel port type:
    Ports: Mouse
    Keyboard
    RJ-45
    Video
    Parallel
    2 Serial
    2 USB 2.0 (back)
    2 USB 2.0 (front)

  5. Re: Server hardware

    Well, did some more digging at ibm.com and found that OS/2 in fact is
    supported on xSeries 226.
    Still I'd appreciate comments though.
    Peter


    PJ wrote:
    > One dealer claims he has a IBM xSeries 226 available, specs below.
    > Would appreciate comments.
    > Thks, Peter
    >
    > xSeries 226 Express Seller Model
    >
    > Model Name: 8648ECG
    > Part Number: 8648ECG
    >
    > Architecture
    > Orientations allowed: Vertical
    > Slots x bays total (free): 6(6) x 9(7)
    > Form factor: Tower
    > Hot Swap Bays - Standard: 6/6
    > Cooling System:
    >
    > Processor
    > SMP processors std: 1
    > SMP processors max 2
    > BIOS type: Flash
    > Processor (CPU): Intel Xeon Processor with Hyper-Threading
    > Technology, EM64T
    > Processor internal clock speed: 3.00GHz
    > Front Side Bus: 800MHz
    > Processor manufacturer: Intel
    > Internal L2 Cache Size: 2MB
    >
    > Memory
    > Memory (RAM) std/max: 512MB / 12GB
    > Optional RAM configuration: 256:512:1024:2048MB DIMMs (should be
    > installed in pairs)
    > RAM slots total: 6 DIMM
    > RAM slots available: 5 DIMM
    > RAM speed supported: 400MHz
    > RAM type: PC2-3200 DDR2 SDRAM
    >
    > Hard Disk
    > Number of installed hard disks:
    > Hard disk size1: GB
    > Hard disk controller: Integrated Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI
    > Hard disk type:
    > Max hard disk capacity: 1.8TB
    >
    > Graphics Subsystem
    > Video RAM std/max: 16MB/16MB
    > Description: ATI RADEON 7000M
    > Graphics Data Width: 32-bit
    > Video RAM Type: DDR SDRAM
    > Resolution (max) with Standard Video RAM: 1024x768 16777216 colors
    > Max resolution (with max video RAM): 1024x768 16777216 colors
    > Max colors (with std video RAM): 16777216
    > Graphics Bus Interface: PCI 2.2
    >
    > Optical device
    > Floppy diskette size: 3.5" 1.44MB
    > Optical device type: CD-ROM
    > Optical device speed: 48X Max
    > Device interface: EIDE
    > Average transfer rate: --
    > Average access time: 80ms
    > Transport: Front tray loading
    >
    > Communications
    > Network interface: Gigabit Ethernet
    > Network speed: 1000Mbps,100Mbps,10Mbps
    >
    > Power Management
    > Heat emissions: --
    > Sound emissions: 61dB
    > Power: 530W
    > Power supply type: 100-127V and 200-240V auto-sensing
    >
    > Weight & Dimentions
    > Weight: 25.8Kg
    > Height: 467.4mm
    > Width: 165mm
    > Depth: 660mm
    >
    > Security
    > Security features: Keyboardless and displayless operation
    > Selectable boot
    > U-Bolt anchoring feature
    > Mechanical locks
    > Power-on password
    >
    > Limited warranty
    > Type of service: Onsite Repair
    > Warranty period: One year parts and labour
    >
    > Expansion Options
    > Plug and play support:
    > SMP Capable:
    > Parallel port type:
    > Ports: Mouse
    > Keyboard
    > RJ-45
    > Video
    > Parallel
    > 2 Serial
    > 2 USB 2.0 (back)
    > 2 USB 2.0 (front)


  6. Re: Server hardware

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 19:10:15 UTC, PJ wrote:

    > Hard disk controller: Integrated Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI


    Check that this is supported.

    > Description: ATI RADEON 7000M


    This is fine if you have SNAP.

    > Network interface: Gigabit Ethernet
    > Network speed: 1000Mbps,100Mbps,10Mbps


    What chip? Still, can always add a card.

    --
    Bob Eager



  7. Re: Server hardware

    SNAP is OK, also I found a driver for both Ultra320 SCSI
    and the NIC, which is from Broadcom. Don't know chip no., but IBM's
    site states it supports the xSeries 226.
    I think I'll place an order for it, and will report the result when
    "known". Have no experience with SCSI, so that can be fun.....
    Peter


    Bob Eager wrote:
    > On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 19:10:15 UTC, PJ wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Hard disk controller: Integrated Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI

    >
    >
    > Check that this is supported.
    >
    >
    >>Description: ATI RADEON 7000M

    >
    >
    > This is fine if you have SNAP.
    >
    >
    >>Network interface: Gigabit Ethernet
    >>Network speed: 1000Mbps,100Mbps,10Mbps

    >
    >
    > What chip? Still, can always add a card.
    >


  8. Re: Server hardware

    On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 23:00:31 UTC, PJ wrote:

    > SNAP is OK, also I found a driver for both Ultra320 SCSI
    > and the NIC, which is from Broadcom. Don't know chip no., but IBM's
    > site states it supports the xSeries 226.
    > I think I'll place an order for it, and will report the result when
    > "known". Have no experience with SCSI, so that can be fun.....


    The Broadcom driver is a basic NDIS one, and is apparently a bit lacking
    in sophistication. Having said that, I've been using it for a year...

    Be sure to get all the IBM firmware and diagnostics updates, as well as
    drivers, off their site. The manuals may also have been updated (e.g.
    for an earlier machine they documented previously un-documented (but
    highly useful) jumper settings.
    --
    Bob Eager



+ Reply to Thread