Quad Core & Memory - OS2

This is a discussion on Quad Core & Memory - OS2 ; Hi/2 I sucessfully update to a QuadCore OS/2 MCP sees all 4 core an uses it. I also update Memory to 6GB OS/2 sees only 3 GB. But no problem so far. -- Regards Stefan...

  1. Quad Core & Memory

    --
    Regards Stefan

  2. Re: Quad Core & Memory

    On 07/02/07 02:14 pm Stefan Knodt wrote:

    > I sucessfully update to a QuadCore
    > OS/2 MCP sees all 4 core an uses it.

    That's interesting, because I couldn't get both cores of an AMD
    dual-core machine active using the standard OS2APIC.PSD driver, but it
    works with Pasha's ACPI.PSD driver. Perhaps it's partly an Intel vs. AMD
    thing.

    > I also update Memory to 6GB
    > OS/2 sees only 3 GB.
    > But no problem so far.

    Perhaps you have run into the situation reported for Windows as well:
    although a motherboard may accept 4GB of RAM, under Windows only 3.0GB
    or perhaps 3.5GB will be seen.

    Perce

  3. Re: Quad Core & Memory

    Stefan Knodt wrote:
    > Hi/2
    >
    > I sucessfully update to a QuadCore
    > OS/2 MCP sees all 4 core an uses it.
    >

    > I also update Memory to 6GB
    > OS/2 sees only 3 GB.
    > But no problem so far.

    What motherboard are you using? What are you using for sound, lan, and
    video. TIA.

  4. Re: Quad Core & Memory

    Bob Stan wrote:
    >> I sucessfully update to a QuadCore
    >> OS/2 MCP sees all 4 core an uses it.
    >>
    >> I also update Memory to 6GB
    >> OS/2 sees only 3 GB.
    >>

    > What motherboard are you using? What are you using for sound, lan, and
    > video. TIA.

    Asus P5W64 WS Professional

    working onboard Components / driver;
    ICH7 SATA / Danis506
    Marvell 88E8001 PCI Gigabit / patched driver from Hobbes
    ADI 1988B Audio / current Hidef Uniaud

    not working onboard components
    Marvell 88E8052 PCI-e Lan,
    Marvell 88SE6145 SATA(Raid)
    Firewire

    Video:
    some ATI X550 PCI-e driven by Snap3.1.8

    Remarks:
    Using standard os2apic.psd
    Sound is a little to loud and the mixer does not work

  5. Re: Quad Core & Memory

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > On 07/02/07 02:14 pm Stefan Knodt wrote:
    >> I also update Memory to 6GB
    >> OS/2 sees only 3 GB.
    >> But no problem so far.

    > Perhaps you have run into the situation reported for Windows as well:
    > although a motherboard may accept 4GB of RAM, under Windows only 3.0GB
    > or perhaps 3.5GB will be seen.

    3 - 3.5 GB is the maximum for a 32-bit os without pae.

  6. Re: Quad Core & Memory

    Stefan Knodt wrote:
    > Asus P5W64 WS Professional
    >
    > working onboard Components / driver;
    > ICH7 SATA / Danis506
    > Marvell 88E8001 PCI Gigabit / patched driver from Hobbes
    > ADI 1988B Audio / current Hidef Uniaud
    >
    > not working onboard components
    > Marvell 88E8052 PCI-e Lan,

    Are you sure the Yukon NDIS driver can't be made to work?

    > Marvell 88SE6145 SATA(Raid)

    This is a cheap SATA+PATA controller without RAID capabilities on its
    own. The PATA portion is supported by DaniS506.

    Ciao,
    Dani

  7. Re: Quad Core & Memory

    Stefan Knodt wrote:
    > Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    >
    >>On 07/02/07 02:14 pm Stefan Knodt wrote:
    >>
    >>>I also update Memory to 6GB
    >>>OS/2 sees only 3 GB.
    >>>But no problem so far.

    >>Perhaps you have run into the situation reported for Windows as well:
    >>although a motherboard may accept 4GB of RAM, under Windows only 3.0GB
    >>or perhaps 3.5GB will be seen.

    > 3 - 3.5 GB is the maximum for a 32-bit os without pae.

    Stefan,

    "pae" ??

    TIA
    Rich W.

  8. Re: Quad Core & Memory

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 15:16:58 +0000, Rich Wonneberger wrote:

    > Stefan Knodt wrote:
    >> Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    >>>Perhaps you have run into the situation reported for Windows as well:
    >>>although a motherboard may accept 4GB of RAM, under Windows only 3.0GB
    >>>or perhaps 3.5GB will be seen.

    >> 3 - 3.5 GB is the maximum for a 32-bit os without pae.
    >>

    > Stefan,
    >
    > "pae" ??
    >
    > TIA
    > Rich W.

    Fire up Google and throw in the search term: 'pae kernel'

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  9. Re: Quad Core & Memory

    On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:48:54 -0400, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    >On 07/02/07 02:14 pm Stefan Knodt wrote:
    >
    >> I sucessfully update to a QuadCore
    >> OS/2 MCP sees all 4 core an uses it.

    >That's interesting, because I couldn't get both cores of an AMD
    >dual-core machine active using the standard OS2APIC.PSD driver, but it
    >works with Pasha's ACPI.PSD driver. Perhaps it's partly an Intel vs. AMD
    >thing.
    >
    >> I also update Memory to 6GB
    >> OS/2 sees only 3 GB.
    >> But no problem so far.

    >Perhaps you have run into the situation reported for Windows as well:
    >although a motherboard may accept 4GB of RAM, under Windows only 3.0GB
    >or perhaps 3.5GB will be seen.

    Exactly the same problem here with WinXP. Only3GB seen.

    Cheers
    Frank

+ Reply to Thread