Removing carriage returns - OS2

This is a discussion on Removing carriage returns - OS2 ; Greetings. I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted for a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way across the line. Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page ...

  1. Removing carriage returns

    Greetings.

    I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted for
    a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way across the
    line.

    Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap, thus
    auto-adjusting to the path width?

    Thank-you

    _____
    - = B e n D r a g o n = - ____

    ____ B_DragonKNOT@KNOTsf-w.net
    _____
    **Puzzled? Undo the "Knot"(s) to reveal the E-Mail address.

  2. Re: Removing carriage returns

    Ben Dragon writes:

    > I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted for
    > a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way across the
    > line.
    >
    > Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap, thus

    It's a rather simple program to read a text file and remove all the
    carriage return and line feed characters. However, if you want to
    preserve them at the end of paragraphs, for example, then you need
    more sophisticated logic.

  3. Re: Removing carriage returns

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > Ben Dragon writes:
    >

    >>I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted for
    >>a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way across the
    >>line.
    >>
    >>Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap, thus

    > It's a rather simple program to read a text file and remove all the
    > carriage return and line feed characters. However, if you want to
    > preserve them at the end of paragraphs, for example, then you need
    > more sophisticated logic.

    Usually carriage returns in the middle of a line is to permit
    overprinting or alignment of columns. Removing them may create other
    problems.

    The ASCII control code for a carriage return is (decimal)'13'.

    The ASCII control code for a Line Feed is (decimal) '10'

    You can use OS/S enhanced editor search & replace function to edit the
    files. Open the Enhanced editor (from an os/2 window the editor is
    invoked by entering "epm" without the quotes.

    Open the file to be edited. I would suggest that you immediately use
    the "save as" function to change the name of the working file and
    preserve the original file in case of problems.

    Click on the "search function" icon. To enter a control code such as
    decimal '13', hold down the [alt] key and use the numeric keypad to
    enter '013' (without the quote). When you release the [alt] key a
    musical note should appear in the 'search for" window. Tab to the
    "replace" window and enter a single space.

    You can then use the find and replace funtions to find all instances of
    the carriage return and replace them with spaces.

    When completed, you may have to then manually reinsert "end of paragraph
    codes to force double line spacing between paragraphs.

    --
    Jack Wise

    Secretary, Oak Wood Lodge No. 1444, AF & AM, The Woodlands, TX
    (www.txmason.com) ( Lodge E-Mail: oakwood1444@hal-pc.org )

    PM, Jacques DeMolay Lodge No. 1390, AF & AM, Houston, TX
    ( www.jd1390.org/jdmlodge.htm )

    TEXAS red wine: renowned for its smoky-mesquite-bbq & jalapeno
    overtones, the perfect foil for a meal of tacos and refried beans...

  4. Re: Removing carriage returns

    Ben Dragon wrote:

    > I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted for
    > a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way across the
    > line.
    >
    > Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap, thus
    > auto-adjusting to the path width?

    Some word processors import text files offering the options to read them
    "as is," as "DOS text" files retaining the newlines, or as "generic
    [Windows] text" which removes the in-paragraph newlines but keeps the
    paragraphs separated.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  5. Re: Removing carriage returns

    Jack Wise writes:

    >> Ben Dragon wrote:

    >>> I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted for
    >>> a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way across the
    >>> line.
    >>>
    >>> Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap, thus

    >> It's a rather simple program to read a text file and remove all the
    >> carriage return and line feed characters. However, if you want to
    >> preserve them at the end of paragraphs, for example, then you need
    >> more sophisticated logic.

    > Usually carriage returns in the middle of a line is to permit
    > overprinting or alignment of columns. Removing them may create other
    > problems.

    I'll leave that for the original poster to decide.

  6. Re: Removing carriage returns

    In article
    B_Dragon@self-wrighting.net "Ben Dragon" writes:

    > I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted for
    > a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way across the
    > line.
    >
    > Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap, thus
    > auto-adjusting to the path width?

    I suspect this suggestion will ignored completely as usual. FWIW
    here goes...

    Way back, I produced an ASCII toolkit, called XTABS (for historic
    reasons). Being a DOS app, it will require an OS/2 VDOS session.
    One of its (many) functions is to recognise paragraphs and remove
    all CR/LF/CRLF/LFCR codes at line-ends except at para end: see /p
    command.

    Paras are defined as starting after any blank line or at any line
    that starts with an indent. That may not be perfect but has done
    a bang-up job on huge ASCII files I've thrown at it.

    ISTR I put a copy on the Demon FTP site. Try directory
    ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/dos/apps/utils/
    then look for a ZIP file beginning XTABS.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  7. Re: Removing carriage returns

    On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:33:15 UTC, "Ben Dragon"
    wrote:

    > I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted for
    > a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way across the
    > line.
    >
    > Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap, thus
    > auto-adjusting to the path width?

    I'd like to clarify what I think you are saying. You have a file, from
    which you want to remove all carriage return/line feeds EXCEPT at the
    end of paragraphs (i.e. leave those that are adjacent multiples of
    CR-LF).

    Or, are you saying that you want to remove every alternate CR-LF?

    The first is really trivial using a macro processor such as ML/I, and
    three short lines of macros. I can post the instructions here (ML/I
    takes less than a minute to download and install, being a single
    executable file).

    --
    Bob Eager

  8. Re: Removing carriage returns

    On 02.07.07 18:33, Ben Dragon wrote:

    > I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted
    > for a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way
    > across the line.
    >
    > Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap,
    > thus auto-adjusting to the path width?

    Larry Margolis had written an EPM macro for preparing a text
    containing lineends for loading into a word processor: WORDPROC.E. It
    can be found somewhere in an 10 years old thread on c.o.o.apps. The
    recent CVS version of NEPMD has that file included. If you want me to
    mail it to you or need other help, let me know. (You have a valid
    email address from me.)

    The macro works well and you can also do the reverse thing wis EPM,
    of course.

    --
    Andreas Schnellbacher

  9. Re: Removing carriage returns

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 06:35:12 UTC, "Bob Eager" wrote:

    > On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:33:15 UTC, "Ben Dragon"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted for
    > > a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way across the
    > > line.
    > >
    > > Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap, thus
    > > auto-adjusting to the path width?

    > I'd like to clarify what I think you are saying. You have a file, from
    > which you want to remove all carriage return/line feeds EXCEPT at the
    > end of paragraphs (i.e. leave those that are adjacent multiples of
    > CR-LF).
    >
    > Or, are you saying that you want to remove every alternate CR-LF?
    >
    > The first is really trivial using a macro processor such as ML/I, and
    > three short lines of macros. I can post the instructions here (ML/I
    > takes less than a minute to download and install, being a single
    > executable file).

    Essentially, I just want to auto line wrap, (Ctl-W in most text
    editors), to be able to work.

    Right now, on some particular old documents I have, a carriage return
    forces a premature line shortening.

    It would take me forever to remove them manually as some of these
    documents are very long.

    Also, I _do_ want to retain paragraphs.

    I do _not_ want every alternate CR-LF removed.

    Thanks for replying, Bob.

    _____
    - = B e n D r a g o n = - ____

    ____ B_DragonKNOT@KNOTsf-w.net
    _____
    **Puzzled? Undo the "Knot"(s) to reveal the E-Mail address.

  10. Re: Removing carriage returns

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 00:17:24 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    Stephenson) wrote:

    > I suspect this suggestion will ignored completely as usual. FWIW
    > here goes...

    Not by me.

    > Way back, I produced an ASCII toolkit, called XTABS (for historic
    > reasons). Being a DOS app, it will require an OS/2 VDOS session.
    > One of its (many) functions is to recognise paragraphs and remove
    > all CR/LF/CRLF/LFCR codes at line-ends except at para end: see /p
    > command.
    >
    > Paras are defined as starting after any blank line or at any line
    > that starts with an indent. That may not be perfect but has done
    > a bang-up job on huge ASCII files I've thrown at it.
    >
    > ISTR I put a copy on the Demon FTP site. Try directory
    > ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/dos/apps/utils/
    > then look for a ZIP file beginning XTABS.

    Greetings, Andrew.

    I'll give that a try.

    Thanks.

    BTW, the URL that you gave me is password protected. 8\

    _____
    - = B e n D r a g o n = - ____

    ____ B_DragonKNOT@KNOTsf-w.net
    _____
    **Puzzled? Undo the "Knot"(s) to reveal the E-Mail address.

  11. Re: Removing carriage returns

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 17:29:31 UTC, Andreas Schnellbacher
    wrote:

    > On 02.07.07 18:33, Ben Dragon wrote:
    >
    > > I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted
    > > for a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way
    > > across the line.
    > >
    > > Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap,
    > > thus auto-adjusting to the path width?

    > Larry Margolis had written an EPM macro for preparing a text
    > containing lineends for loading into a word processor: WORDPROC.E. It
    > can be found somewhere in an 10 years old thread on c.o.o.apps. The
    > recent CVS version of NEPMD has that file included. If you want me to
    > mail it to you or need other help, let me know. (You have a valid
    > email address from me.)
    >
    > The macro works well and you can also do the reverse thing wis EPM,
    > of course.

    Greetings again, Andreas.

    I'd like that.

    Check your E-mail.

    8)

    _____
    - = B e n D r a g o n = - ____

    ____ B_DragonKNOT@KNOTsf-w.net
    _____
    **Puzzled? Undo the "Knot"(s) to reveal the E-Mail address.

  12. Re: Removing carriage returns

    In article
    B_Dragon@self-wrighting.net "Ben Dragon" writes:

    > On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 00:17:24 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    > Stephenson) wrote:
    >
    > > I suspect this suggestion will ignored completely as usual. FWIW
    > > here goes...

    > Not by me.

    Thank you, sir. You are (well, seem to be ) a gentleman.

    > > Way back, I produced an ASCII toolkit, called XTABS (for historic
    > > reasons). Being a DOS app, it will require an OS/2 VDOS session.
    > > One of its (many) functions is to recognise paragraphs and remove
    > > all CR/LF/CRLF/LFCR codes at line-ends except at para end: see /p
    > > command.
    > >
    > > Paras are defined as starting after any blank line or at any line
    > > that starts with an indent. That may not be perfect but has done
    > > a bang-up job on huge ASCII files I've thrown at it.
    > >
    > > ISTR I put a copy on the Demon FTP site. Try directory
    > > ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/dos/apps/utils/
    > > then look for a ZIP file beginning XTABS.

    > Greetings, Andrew.
    >
    > I'll give that a try.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > BTW, the URL that you gave me is password protected. 8\

    (Baffled.) But only mildly, last time I checked. Try the usual
    "Anonymous" login procedure. The site prompts you for entries.

    You may have to approach it using OS/2's FTP app. In the below,
    quotes delimit example commands and should not actually be used.

    * Run the dialler and connect to Net via your ISP.

    * Go to an OS/2 command line and enter (mind the gap):
    ftp ftp.demon.co.uk

    * You should be challenged by Demon's FTP server for ID.

    * Navigate using "cd " to the directory. Eg:
    cd /pub/ibmpc/dos/apps/utils

    * Optionally, check for file in the directory with "ls" (or IIRC
    "dir").

    * Switch to "binary".

    * "get "

    * Once you have the file, "quit".

    (If that was me teaching Granny how to suck eggs, my apologies.
    It felt quicker to write it all out in one psting. If anyone's
    spotted a mistake, please comment. How many people use FTP
    these days, that way, I wonder?)
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  13. Re: Removing carriage returns

    Sir:

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:

    >> BTW, the URL that you gave me is password protected. 8\

    > (Baffled.) But only mildly, last time I checked. Try the usual
    > "Anonymous" login procedure. The site prompts you for entries.
    >
    > You may have to approach it using OS/2's FTP app. In the below,
    > quotes delimit example commands and should not actually be used.
    >
    > * Run the dialler and connect to Net via your ISP.
    >
    > * Go to an OS/2 command line and enter (mind the gap):
    > ftp ftp.demon.co.uk
    >
    > * You should be challenged by Demon's FTP server for ID.
    >
    > * Navigate using "cd " to the directory. Eg:
    > cd /pub/ibmpc/dos/apps/utils
    >
    > * Optionally, check for file in the directory with "ls" (or IIRC
    > "dir").
    >
    > * Switch to "binary".
    >
    > * "get "
    >
    > * Once you have the file, "quit".
    >
    > (If that was me teaching Granny how to suck eggs, my apologies.
    > It felt quicker to write it all out in one psting. If anyone's
    > spotted a mistake, please comment. How many people use FTP
    > these days, that way, I wonder?)

    Thanks, SeaMonkey fetched the directory with no problem here.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  14. Re: Removing carriage returns

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 21:04:11 UTC, "Ben Dragon"
    wrote:

    > On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 06:35:12 UTC, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:33:15 UTC, "Ben Dragon"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted for
    > > > a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way across the
    > > > line.
    > > >
    > > > Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap, thus
    > > > auto-adjusting to the path width?

    > > I'd like to clarify what I think you are saying. You have a file, from
    > > which you want to remove all carriage return/line feeds EXCEPT at the
    > > end of paragraphs (i.e. leave those that are adjacent multiples of
    > > CR-LF).
    > >
    > > Or, are you saying that you want to remove every alternate CR-LF?
    > >
    > > The first is really trivial using a macro processor such as ML/I, and
    > > three short lines of macros. I can post the instructions here (ML/I
    > > takes less than a minute to download and install, being a single
    > > executable file).

    > Essentially, I just want to auto line wrap, (Ctl-W in most text
    > editors), to be able to work.
    >
    > Right now, on some particular old documents I have, a carriage return
    > forces a premature line shortening.
    >
    > It would take me forever to remove them manually as some of these
    > documents are very long.
    >
    > Also, I _do_ want to retain paragraphs.
    >
    > I do _not_ want every alternate CR-LF removed.

    You need to define what determines the end of a paragraph, then, as in
    the first scenario I asked about. Is it a pair of CRLFs, or what? If so,
    that's really trivial, as I said. Just convert single CRLF to a space
    (unless preceded or followed by one), and leave multiple adjacent ones
    alone. Would that be an accurate description of the problem?
    --
    Bob Eager

  15. Re: Removing carriage returns

    On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 22:38:47 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    Stephenson) wrote:

    > > BTW, the URL that you gave me is password protected. 8\

    > (Baffled.) But only mildly, last time I checked. Try the usual
    > "Anonymous" login procedure. The site prompts you for entries.
    >
    > You may have to approach it using OS/2's FTP app. In the below,
    > quotes delimit example commands and should not actually be used.
    >
    > * Run the dialler and connect to Net via your ISP.
    >
    > * Go to an OS/2 command line and enter (mind the gap):
    > ftp ftp.demon.co.uk
    >
    > * You should be challenged by Demon's FTP server for ID.
    >
    > * Navigate using "cd " to the directory. Eg:
    > cd /pub/ibmpc/dos/apps/utils
    >
    > * Optionally, check for file in the directory with "ls" (or IIRC
    > "dir").
    >
    > * Switch to "binary".
    >
    > * "get "
    >
    > * Once you have the file, "quit".
    >
    > (If that was me teaching Granny how to suck eggs, my apologies.
    > It felt quicker to write it all out in one psting. If anyone's
    > spotted a mistake, please comment. How many people use FTP
    > these days, that way, I wonder?)

    Worked OK this time.

    I'll give it a try.

    Tnx.

    _____
    - = B e n D r a g o n = - ____

    ____ B_DragonKNOT@KNOTsf-w.net
    _____
    **Puzzled? Undo the "Knot"(s) to reveal the E-Mail address.

  16. Re: Removing carriage returns

    In article
    B_Dragon@self-wrighting.net "Ben Dragon" writes:

    > Worked OK this time.

    Splendid.

    > I'll give it a try.

    Life keeps on getting better. :-)
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  17. Re: Removing carriage returns

    wrote:

    > Essentially, I just want to auto line wrap, (Ctl-W in most text
    > editors), to be able to work.

    Use NEPMD.

    Step one: set the marins you likes for the document.
    Step 2: use the reflow function to get the whole document reflowd to
    the marins you've set.
    done.

    You can download the most current version for free from

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  18. Re: Removing carriage returns

    In , on
    07/02/2007
    at 04:33 PM, "Ben Dragon"
    said:

    >I have a number of rather large text files that have been formatted
    >for a low resolution, so they all have carriage returns half way
    >across the line.

    ITYM CRLF, not just CR.

    >Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap,
    >thus auto-adjusting to the path width?

    Change '0A0D' to space except where you want a new line. Or use the
    wrap function of a word processor, then save as text.

    >Is there anyway that I can remove those so the page can auto-wrap,
    >thus auto-adjusting to the path width?

    I'm not sure what you mean by that last.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

+ Reply to Thread