Apple's New iPhone - WOW! - OS2

This is a discussion on Apple's New iPhone - WOW! - OS2 ; Ok guys, I'm not here to gloat just here to report on my love of all things Apple. Stood in line at the Downtown SF Apple store for four very fun-filled hours waiting to get my hands on an 8gig ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

  1. Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    Ok guys, I'm not here to gloat just here to report on my love of all
    things Apple.

    Stood in line at the Downtown SF Apple store for four very fun-filled
    hours waiting to get my hands on an 8gig iPhone. During all my years as
    an OS/2 user I never found the OS/2 community as inviting and fun as I
    do the Mac community. Really, the Mac folks are a cut above everything
    else.

    Although in line for four hours the time went by quickly because Apple
    and their employees made it fun. There were at least 1,000 people
    waiting and the line went around the block. That's right - it started
    at the door and went around all four streets returning and passing those
    of us standing in line. There were clowns, jugglers, singers, dancers
    and cheerleaders who got us all to do the hokey pokey, to sing and do
    the 'wave' as though we were at a Giants baseball game. There were six
    different Mac sites streaming real-time video just on the Downtown
    store. About twenty Apple employees would come out of the Apple store
    every half hour and run around the entire block screaming, hollering and
    pulling little red wagons of bottled water and bags of pretzels, chips
    and trail mix and handing them out for free. They thanked everyone in
    line profusely for waiting. There was a round of applause and a lot of
    hoots and hollering everything they appeared.

    And when the doors of Apple opened at 6PM to sell the iPhone we were
    ushered us in with precision and courtesy in groups of twenty to
    different cash register counters. Apple employees with hand-held
    tablets quickly went down the lines and took our orders, swiped our
    credit cards and handed us a receipt that we presented at the cash
    register. An iPhone box was swiped for serial number, placed in a black
    gift bag and an email was dispatched to your email address with all the
    activation information needed. We were in and out of the store within
    ten minutes. And when we walked out the crowds went wild, Apple
    employees danced like crazy people and everyone clapped! People were
    actually hugging each other - it was that enthusiastic!

    Geez, don't you wish the OS/2 community was that committed?
    That was just the buying process. The iPhone product is so amazing it
    is very hard to make you see how great it is. The iPod portion is
    better than any iPod Apple sells today. The video portion plays in HD
    in landscape mode large enough for my grandparents to sit and watch it.
    We have so much free WiFi everywhere that the 'Net portion (web
    browsing using the built in full featured browser, Safari, and sending
    and receiving email using the virtual keyboard) is unbelievable. I
    thought the keyboard might be a hunt and peck kind of thing but you
    quickly utilize two thumbs and Apple has wisely included an ability to
    second guess the words you type so you only have to type two-three
    letters and it smart guesses what you want. The camera is so very cool
    that you snap snap snap everywhere you go, hit send and up pops the
    email composer with the picture visible so you can email it off to
    everyone instantly. You can sit around and watch the funniest or most
    amazing YouTube videos in full landscape mode.

    And it is so beautifully made. There are so many features I don't want
    to bore you to death with them. All I can say is that it is well worth
    the price and if you can get one, do it. It is much smaller than I
    thought it would be, very thin and it is all touch screen. Unlike an MS
    operating system, OSX is so totally solid and powerful you will never
    see a system freeze or application problem. It is just as fast and
    powerful as you see in all the commercials. It is exactly what Apple
    claims it to be.

    Is it an iPod killer? Yeah. I know my 80Gig iPod will go into a drawer
    and I'll probably pass it along to some deserving soul who loves to
    listen to music.

    BTW, the iPhone syncs with all my other Mac machines - from the Mac Pro
    to the BlackBook. If I add a new address to the iPhone it automatically
    updates in both the BlackBook and Mac Pro. Add a date in the calendar
    and it is on the computers.

    Although I hated leaving OS/2 I chose the best when I went with OSX. It
    is an absolutely amazing operating system. Leopard, coming this Fall,
    is what Vista would like to be but will never be because of MS.

    Hope you all are doing fine and continuing your support of OS/2. If you
    want to expand your horizons then turn to Apple and the Mac. My advice
    and assistance with buying a Mac or using OSX is always just an email
    away so don't hesitate to ask. I am still a very helpful guy. :-)

    Tim... OS2Guy at Mac.com

  2. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    :
    :Stood in line at the Downtown SF Apple store for four very fun-filled
    :hours waiting to get my hands on an 8gig iPhone. During all my years as
    :an OS/2 user I never found the OS/2 community as inviting and fun as I
    :do the Mac community. Really, the Mac folks are a cut above everything
    :else.

    yay for you!

  3. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:31:00 -0700 in comp.os.os2.misc,
    The OS/2 Guy spake unto us, saying:

    > Ok guys, I'm not here to gloat just here to report on my love of all
    > things Apple.

    Heh. :-)

    > Geez, don't you wish the OS/2 community was that committed?

    It's easy to be a committed fan when the company producing the software
    you like continues to be committed to that software.

    It's harder to be a committed fan when a company abandons a product.

    You've taken the easy way out, Tim. More power to you, of course, but
    it's not really much to brag about.

    Using a Mac is too easy to be fun. :-)

    > Hope you all are doing fine and continuing your support of OS/2. If you
    > want to expand your horizons then turn to Apple and the Mac.

    Hey, I used a Mac for 10 years while working at NWA (first a Mac IIci
    running MacOS 7 and then a nice PowerMac tower running MacOS 9) and I
    loved it, and I still have my old IIci around here somewhere, but I'm
    probably not moving that direction soon. Too spendy.

    Someday I'll get another one, though. They *are* nice machines...

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  4. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    In article
    dink@yadda.com "dinkmeister" quotes a troll:

    > On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:31:00 -0700, The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    > :Stood in line at the Downtown SF Apple store for four very fun-filled
    > :hours waiting to get my hands on an 8gig iPhone. [...]

    Mug. OTOH, it's the early-adopter fashion victims who pay for
    the debugging. Maybe I shouldn't complain if Timmie's found a
    niche usefulness in polishing the bling. :-)
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  5. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    On 07/01/07 12:31 am The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > Ok guys, I'm not here to gloat just here to report on my love of all
    > things Apple.

    Sounds like new-convert euphoric gloating to me, just like
    what's-his-name in Japan when he decided that Linux was better than OS/2.

    The piece on BBC World News a few days ago about the imminent release of
    the iPhone was interesting: it's old technology, and they'll have to
    develop an updated model for Europe. (Of course many things in the USA
    are old technology. Business section of the paper reported the other day
    that avg. Internet connection speed in the USA is 1.9Mb/sec. [so many
    people still on dial-up, and the fastest cable system I know of is
    15Mb/sec.], compared with 40Mb/sec. or so in Japan and Korea, which have
    fiber everywhere. No doubt it's a combination of "We've always done it
    this way" and major resistance to a national policy on almost anything
    you name.)

    Our son now has his 2.2GHz MacBook Pro, and it certainly is cool. He
    hasn't let me use it for more than half an hour or so, so I haven't yet
    been able to decide whether it's also good value for money, but I
    suspect not.

    Perce

  6. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 17:28:41 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > On 07/01/07 12:31 am © The OS/2 Guy © wrote:
    >
    > > Ok guys, I'm not here to gloat just here to report on my love of all
    > > things Apple.

    > Sounds like new-convert euphoric gloating to me, just like
    > what's-his-name in Japan when he decided that Linux was better than OS/2.

    I call this the "Initial Infatuation Syndrome".

    --snip--

    > No doubt it's a combination of "We've always done it
    > this way" and major resistance to a national policy on almost anything
    > you name.)

    The size of the US and the scale of the infrastructure that needs
    changing might have something to do with this too.

    Pete

    --

  7. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 14:46:22 -0400, Pete wrote
    (in article ):

    >> No doubt it's a combination of "We've always done it
    >> this way" and major resistance to a national policy on almost anything
    >> you name.)

    > The size of the US and the scale of the infrastructure that needs changing
    > might have something to do with this too.

    Right on. There's so much investment in the old technology that people are
    slow to change. Look at how long it's taking to convert to HDTV. I'm one of
    the laggards; I won't be ready to junk all my TV sets and buy HDTVs anytime
    soon.

    The USA has so many wide open spaces that it's going to be many years before
    fiber reaches all of West Virginia, Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska, if it ever
    does, which it probably won't. It's so much easier in densely populated
    countries like Korea and Japan to bring fiber almost everywhere that the
    comparison is laughable.

    --
    John Varela
    Trade NEW lamps for OLD for email.

  8. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    John Varela wrote:
    > On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 14:46:22 -0400, Pete wrote
    > (in article ):
    >

    >>>No doubt it's a combination of "We've always done it
    >>>this way" and major resistance to a national policy on almost anything
    >>>you name.)

    >>The size of the US and the scale of the infrastructure that needs changing
    >>might have something to do with this too.

    > Right on. There's so much investment in the old technology that people are
    > slow to change. Look at how long it's taking to convert to HDTV. I'm one of
    > the laggards; I won't be ready to junk all my TV sets and buy HDTVs anytime
    > soon.
    >
    > The USA has so many wide open spaces that it's going to be many years before
    > fiber reaches all of West Virginia, Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska, if it ever
    > does, which it probably won't. It's so much easier in densely populated
    > countries like Korea and Japan to bring fiber almost everywhere that the
    > comparison is laughable.

    Yes, but given that most people change their mobile phones every 18
    months or so, should allow the infrastructure in *that* industry to be
    changed fairly quickly - if the will were there.

    I agree about the density argument though. We have a similar problem
    here in France.

    Stuart

  9. [OT] Fiber telephone lines (was: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!)

    On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 19:41:58 UTC, John Varela
    wrote:

    > The USA has so many wide open spaces that it's going to be many years before
    > fiber reaches all of West Virginia, Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska, if it ever
    > does, which it probably won't....

    Years, yes, but I think copper phone lines will eventually disappear
    altogether.

    > ... It's so much easier in densely populated
    > countries like Korea and Japan to bring fiber almost everywhere that the
    > comparison is laughable.

    Are you sure? I would think that there is a significant cost in making
    all the individual fiber connections to each and every customer,
    independent of how far apart they are. As you probably know, Verizon is
    presently spending $23 thousand million to set up their "FiOS" (for
    broadband Internet as well as TV) into homes in parts of the USA.

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Change "NOSPAM@" to "systematics@" in my e-mail address)

  10. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Ok guys, I'm not here to gloat just here to report on my love of all
    > things Apple.

    Shouldn't you do that in an Apple news group instead of one for OS/2?

    I seem to remember some pretty hot flames directed at folks who talked
    about things that were "not real os/2" in this NG by someone calling
    themself The OS/2 Guy....

  11. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    On Sun, 01 Jul 2007 13:28:41 -0400, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    > Sounds like new-convert euphoric gloating to me, just like
    > what's-his-name in Japan when he decided that Linux was better than
    > OS/2.

    I take it you're referring to me. There's a big difference between being
    'better' and being 'better suited to one's needs' Linux offers me
    everything I need. When OS/2 has the apps, especially in the multimedia
    area, I'll consider reinstalling it. Some things I need are OpenOffice,
    VLC, Totem, Rhythmbox, Xine, RealPlayer 10, Gjiten, multimedia plugins to
    play Mpeg, AVI and a lot more. I also need to have an English system but
    be able to input Japanese, simply by selecting it from a menu or a key
    combination. I also expect to pay the same as I pay for these things on
    Linux, especially the OSS stuff.

    Thoroughly enjoying my 100Mb up/down fibre connection too.

    As for the topic at hand, I have no need for an iPhone or any kind of
    cellphone. I've been mobile free since May and hardly miss it, even
    though handsets are free (OK, 1 yen) and monthly price plans are dropping
    all the time.

    Wayne
    --
    Registered Linux user #375994
    http://www.geocities.jp/rondonko/

  12. Re: [OT] Fiber telephone lines (was: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!)

    On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 16:29:29 -0400, Fred Blau wrote
    (in article ):

    > On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 19:41:58 UTC, John Varela
    > wrote:
    >

    >> The USA has so many wide open spaces that it's going to be many years
    >> before
    >> fiber reaches all of West Virginia, Montana, Wyoming, and Alaska, if it
    >> ever
    >> does, which it probably won't....

    > Years, yes, but I think copper phone lines will eventually disappear
    > altogether.

    Maybe, given enough time. Don't forget we still have a lot of small, rural,
    independent phone companies with limited capital, which may never convert.

    >> ... It's so much easier in densely populated
    >> countries like Korea and Japan to bring fiber almost everywhere that the
    >> comparison is laughable.

    > Are you sure? I would think that there is a significant cost in making
    > all the individual fiber connections to each and every customer,
    > independent of how far apart they are.

    True, but it makes a difference that their distances are measured in tens,
    not hundreds, of miles.

    > As you probably know, Verizon is
    > presently spending $23 thousand million to set up their "FiOS" (for
    > broadband Internet as well as TV) into homes in parts of the USA.

    I was an early adapter to FiOS. Fairfax County, VA, was one of the first
    places to get FiOS. Our house is too far from the central office for DSL and
    the local cable company sucks, so I signed up for FiOS the day it was made
    available. I got the slower 5 MBS down/2 MBS up service and it's more than
    adequate for everything I do.

    --
    John Varela
    Trade NEW lamps for OLD for email.

  13. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 22:07:18 -0400, Jeff Estep wrote
    (in article ):

    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >> Ok guys, I'm not here to gloat just here to report on my love of all
    >> things Apple.
    >>

    > Shouldn't you do that in an Apple news group instead of one for OS/2?
    >
    > I seem to remember some pretty hot flames directed at folks who talked
    > about things that were "not real os/2" in this NG by someone calling
    > themself The OS/2 Guy....

    Ignore him. He's an Apple shill.

    --
    John Varela
    Trade NEW lamps for OLD for email.

  14. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:24:17 UTC, John Varela
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 22:07:18 -0400, Jeff Estep wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    > > © The OS/2 Guy © wrote:
    > >> Ok guys, I'm not here to gloat just here to report on my love of all
    > >> things Apple.
    > >>

    > > Shouldn't you do that in an Apple news group instead of one for OS/2?
    > >
    > > I seem to remember some pretty hot flames directed at folks who talked
    > > about things that were "not real os/2" in this NG by someone calling
    > > themself The OS/2 Guy....

    > Ignore him. He's an Apple shill.

    I have this Razr v3, which is quite nice. What I would like to do is
    turn off messaging and web browsing; fix things so these options aren't
    available at all (already turned off the camera button). All I want is a
    PHONE, not something which will also do the dishes and give the cat a
    bath, er I mean dog. If I want to listen to music, I have this Nex mp3
    player which uses unencrypted CF cards (all I have to do is mount the
    card and copy the files via WPS dnd). Not fancy, nor will it wash the
    dog either, but it does the job quite nicely, including when using a
    tape adapter in my truck's stereo player.

    Matbe he's a shill for a battery manufacturer or the power company which
    sells you the electricity to recharge the battery in the thing.

    Pete

    --

  15. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW! [FUD4]

    What does that have to do with OS/2 Larry?

    After OSX Leopard now IPhone, What's next Larry?
    May I propose a little marketing for the Barber & Beauty Salon "Good
    Vibrations"? or "Bob's Donuts Pastries"

  16. Re: [OT] Fiber telephone lines (was: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!)

    On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:22:11 UTC, John Varela
    wrote:

    > I was an early adapter to FiOS. Fairfax County, VA, was one of the first
    > places to get FiOS. Our house is too far from the central office for DSL and
    > the local cable company sucks, so I signed up for FiOS the day it was made
    > available. I got the slower 5 MBS down/2 MBS up service and it's more than
    > adequate for everything I do.

    I am fortunately close enough to a central office to be able to use DSL.
    But I am eagerly awaiting the day when FiOS becomes available here, so
    that I can kiss Comcast cable TV goodbye. That day is in the
    indeterminate future, as Verizon only tells me whether the service is
    presently available or not, with no estimates or hints about future
    availability.

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Change "NOSPAM@" to "systematics@" in my e-mail address)

  17. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    In article
    khadhargo@sbc...nospam.-.global.net "Pete" writes:

    > Matbe [maybe?] he's [Timmie the Troll] a shill for a battery
    > manufacturer or the power company which sells you the
    > electricity to recharge the battery in the thing.

    He is, at best, a strange individual with an even stranger set of
    values. For him, it appears, success consists in spending money,
    as if it were going out of fashion, on every gimmick he can find.
    We know this because, periodically, he comes here to update us on
    how gullible he has been. Seemingly, he has not yet twigged that
    people in this and related NGs are more impressed by what someone
    achieves with the hardware/software they own (or have access to).
    However, we knew from long ago that he's an ill-informed egotist,
    so his claims on achievements are also, erm, unreliable. That he
    has other failings is also a fact; but not one to spend a load of
    time on right now. There, Google is your friend, though not his.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  18. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    On 07/04/07 06:10 pm The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > Whether you want to admit it or not, more of you have moved to OSX and
    > Mac machines then any of us ever dreamed. Sometimes when I look down my
    > list of email contacts I'm surprised by how many names were once
    > subscribed to Warp City and the Warp City Gossip page - and those same
    > people are still turning to me for advice, guidance and what may be
    > coming down the road in the future for the Mac user.

    Yes, but at least some of the OS/2 / eCS users who are trying out the
    Mac have *not* abandoned OS/2 / eCS. I see them posting in on-line
    venues devoted to both.

    Perce

  19. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 21:31:00 -0700, The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    :> We have so much free WiFi everywhere that the 'Net portion (web
    :> browsing using the built in full featured browser, Safari, and sending
    :> and receiving email using the virtual keyboard) is unbelievable.

    lucky you. I tried out the iPhone at a Manhattan AT&T store. Over the
    cellular network, the connection is sooo slooooow as to make the browser
    unusable. also, Safari has been crippled on the iPhone, in that it does not
    do javascript, which puts way to many web sites out of reach.

    Those were two deal breakers for me.

    :>
    :> Is it an iPod killer? Yeah. I know my 80Gig iPod will go into a drawer
    :> and I'll probably pass it along to some deserving soul who loves to
    :> listen to music.
    :>

    The iPhone is the first iPod that does NOT allow setting aside part of the
    drive as a plain data storage medium. I use an iPod shuffle to carry
    critical backup data between sites. Can't do that with an iPhone.

    Also, one can boot off an iPod disk attached to a Mac, very good for
    traveling. Can't do that off an iPhone, either.

    Another deal breaker for me.

    So, if you want to send that 80Gb iPod my way, let me know. I'll even send
    you a SASE.

    :>
    :> And it is so beautifully made.

    No doubt about that. It is stunningly beautiful.

    Peter

    */------------------------------------------------------
    Peter Wadsack
    ------------------------------------------------------*/

  20. Re: Apple's New iPhone - WOW!

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > On 07/04/07 06:10 pm The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> Whether you want to admit it or not, more of you have moved to OSX and
    >> Mac machines then any of us ever dreamed. Sometimes when I look down
    >> my list of email contacts I'm surprised by how many names were once
    >> subscribed to Warp City and the Warp City Gossip page - and those same
    >> people are still turning to me for advice, guidance and what may be
    >> coming down the road in the future for the Mac user.

    > Yes, but at least some of the OS/2 / eCS users who are trying out the
    > Mac have *not* abandoned OS/2 / eCS. I see them posting in on-line
    > venues devoted to both.
    >
    > Perce

    Hey Perce... hope all is well with you. I haven't abandoned OS/2 at
    all, I simply don't use it. I have it installed under Parallels (as you
    can see here: http://www.os2guy.com/os2screenshot.jpg ) expecting to
    use some of the "OS/2 only" apps I used to enjoy. I found those same
    apps available for OSX or apps that were equivalent so OS/2 hasn't been
    fired up in Parallels since beta testing with the folks at Parallels.

    Once you move to OSX there is really no reason to look back at OS/2 and
    that's the one statement that seems to be said by most new OSX users.

    Tim...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast