Apple's New iPhone - WOW! - OS2

This is a discussion on Apple's New iPhone - WOW! - OS2 ; Hello World, You-know-who: > > How sad that you are so restricted financially that you have to settle > > for used outdated cell technology. My heart goes out to you. "Have to" and "Want to" are different things. On ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 58 of 58

  1. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    On Aug 3, 5:33 am, Dave Yeo wrote:
    > Huh? I barely use the cell phone and wanted something simple which is
    > what this thread is now talking about. They don't sell simple phones
    > anymore so my solution was a used one.

    When I was applying for jobs, prior to moving to .uk, I wanted a UK
    phone number for the recruiters to call. So I got a bare-bones Sagem
    phone with a pay-as-you-go option, for about GBP 35. (USD 45 or
    thereabouts). I've spent more on top-ups than on the phone (roaming
    access can be a bastard). It can do WAP, but I've mostly ignored that.
    Come on! Web pages on a 20x10 screen? That was about three years ago.
    Haven't seen fit to replace it yet.

    Now of course I have a company phone - standard issue Nokia.
    Similarly, no fancy stuff. Most impresssed with its battery life. This
    charge has been going for about a week now, and it's only halfway
    down. Blackberries have recently been sighted in the company, but I
    think I can survive without one. Why would I want to read email or
    webpages on a tiny little screen, when I have a perfectly good laptop
    or desktop with me more or less all the time?

    I think you can still get a simple phone if you want to, but they are
    not much less expensive than the all singing, all dancing, MP3-
    playing, camera-equipped jobbies. This, I think is mostly because the
    little device is generally thought of as a freebie that comes with
    your outrageously expensive subscription. So getting one for ten
    quid^Wbucks is a good deal. Wish I'd thought of eBay before getting
    one of my own.

    Cheers,
    Menno

  2. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    In article <1186133472.868202.53640@b79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>
    flexor@wanadoo.nl " Menno" writes:

    > I think you can still get a simple phone if you want to, but
    > they are not much less expensive than the all singing, all
    > dancing, MP3- playing, camera-equipped jobbies. [...]

    Of course one can still get basic phones; anyone who claims not
    is just not in touch with reality. Okay, market details change
    but they're there. Frex in July 2006 I signed up with T-Mobile
    in LA, buying a basic Nokia for about $70, almost a throw-away.
    I wanted it for trading spoken words, nothing fancier, and then
    in the USA only. Recently, AIUI, a big UK mobile phone company
    (Verizon IIRC; but check) has announced a stripped-down service
    with an appropriate phone for folks who can't be fagged to deal
    with cameras, music, viruses or spam. (I know: what desperate,
    strange, financially disadvantaged creatures, creeps will say.)

    (BTW, the exchange rate GBpound-->USdollar is now close to 2.)
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  3. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    in 228162 20070803 132720 ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) wrote:

    >(BTW, the exchange rate GBpound-->USdollar is now close to 2.)

    Been over 2 for last 6 weeks - currently 2.04

  4. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 15:15:31 UTC, Bob Martin
    wrote:

    > in 228162 20070803 132720 ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) wrote:
    >
    > >(BTW, the exchange rate GBpound-->USdollar is now close to 2.)

    > Been over 2 for last 6 weeks - currently 2.04

    Yup...just paid 3 years' Dr Dobbs subscription at a bargain rate!
    --
    Bob Eager

  5. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    In article
    bob.martin@excite.com "Bob Martin" writes:

    > in 228162 20070803 132720 ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    > Stephenson) wrote:
    >
    > >(BTW, the exchange rate GBpound-->USdollar is now close to 2.)

    > Been over 2 for last 6 weeks - currently 2.04

    I kept it vague because the actual rate varies so fast. Frex, at
    the time I saw your reply, it was more like 2.03... Must say, it
    would now help me if it fell back somewhat, say to 1.90 -- but my
    circumstances, I realise, are not everyone's. And the rate turns
    on who you are and what you are doing. Eg, not all of us receive
    interbank wholesale rates, just manky high street bank and credit
    card rates. ;-) AIUI They expect the rate to stay up for a while
    yet.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  6. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    I dunno, you guys just aren't "getting it" when it comes to the
    iPhone.

    The iPhone is actually a small hand held computer and something the
    cell phone wishes it could be. The fact that you can use the iPhone
    as a cell phone is simply one of many features it offers. You can
    send and receive all of your email from a variety of email accounts.
    You can write and send email and SMS messages. You have a full blown
    working browser that will allow you to visit any web page or Google
    newsgroup you want no matter where you are or what you are doing. Do
    you understand that? Does it sink in at all?

    You have a great many desktop icons (applications) and you can assign
    many more. You have an silent snapping camera that takes excellent
    pictures in portrait or landscape mode - and you can instantly send
    those photos to anyone with an email address. Are you invested in
    stocks? You can add your entire portfolio to the stocks icon and
    receive real time updates as they happen. Same with weather and you
    can monitor the weather in hundreds of locations all around the
    world. You have a note pad to take notes by the minute, hour, day,
    week, month... You have a calendar to schedule meetings and receive
    real-time alerts prior to those appointments to ensure you meet them
    on time.

    You have access -including driving instructions - to Google Maps so no
    matter where you are you can view your location by satellite or street
    map and find your way to your destination. There is a multifunctional
    world clock and a fine calculator. You have a full photo gallery of
    pictures you have taken or care to import and show to others in
    landscape or portfolio mode.

    You have Apple's best and most amazing video/music iPod offered to
    date. Most of you, I'm sure, have never heard the beauty of music on
    an iPod much less watched a video and granted, the standard iPod's
    video screen is small but not the iPhone video which displays in
    landscape mode, wide screen, high-definition and is so amazing that
    when I'm watching a movie or TV show most people around me peer over
    my shoulder and comment "that's so beautiful - it is so clear, how do
    they do that?"

    But why would you want to watch a movie on an iPhone? To fill that
    time you would necessarily lose when forced to wait - like riding
    Metro to work, while on an airplane and the movie they are offering
    sucks and you've got "The Simpsons, The Movie" at your fingertips,
    during a lunch hour when you just want to escape the busy world around
    you - the video moments are endless. I find myself looking forward to
    or grabbing the time to watch the latest episode of "Man vs
    Wild" (have you seen this series? This Aussie gets dropped via
    helicopter into a hazardous hostile place with only a flint and small
    knife and has to make his way to civilization facing unbelievable
    obstacles. Example: To keep warm in the frozen artic he climbs into
    the body of a dead elk; during a desert episode he literally drinks
    his own urine to stave off dehydration; he will eat poisonous
    tarantulas by pinching off their poisonous heads so he doesn't die -
    sometimes it is so gross you can't believe anyone would do it but the
    information he provides is vital if you found yourself in such a
    hostile environment.).

    And the music - oh my G... it is so amazing.

    Now let's talk about the "phone" portion of the iPhone. Here's why it
    is different and beyond the standard flip-phone. For one, with the
    earbuds in place you do not have to talk into the iPhone itself at
    all. You see all those people leaning to the right, their hand
    holding a flip phone to their head and jabbering loudly making sure
    every passerby knows they are on the phone. So you've got the iPhone
    and you're listening to music or watching a movie and your wife
    calls. The music/video fades quickly and you get a soft two-sound
    beep. A pinch of the miniscule microphone, which sits on the cord of
    the earbuds exactly at mouth level, answers the call for you. You
    don't have to hold an apparatus to your face, you just talk. And you
    can whisper. The caller hears you just fine and you hear the caller
    in stereo - not one ear but in both ears. So now when you see someone
    with what looks to be an iPod with white earbuds walking down the
    street talking you can be assured he is sane and talking into the
    microphone of the iPhone. And I'm sure you've seen those cell phone
    users holding their cord up so the microphone is at mouth level. You
    don't have to do that at all with the iPhone's earbud microphone. You
    just talk.

    But wearing the earbuds all the time just to take calls is not always
    kosher. So you use the Apple BlueTooth headset which is so tiny and
    powerful that you simply touch the sweet spot on the headset and you
    can hear and talk to the incoming caller. The tiny headset rides
    against your upper jaw bone and the microphone embedded in the headset
    is so sensitive that the caller hears you perfectly, even when
    outdoors.

    And, of course, you can use the iPhone in the traditional way, holding
    the actual iPhone against your ear and talking into the thing just as
    you would any other cell phone. The difference here is, the iPhone's
    display, when touched against your head/cheek, dims - pull it away and
    it brightens.

    Battery life. If you used all the features of the iPhone all day long
    - that is, took and made calls, listened to music, watched videos,
    sent emails and text messages, monitored web sites, checked the
    weather, your stocks, fed and took care of your iCat (a virtual pet
    game) and wrote notes and calendar entries from the moment you got up
    in the morning, your iPhone would operate for at least seven full
    hours, generally nine hours. That's a full business day. To recharge
    you simply use any iPod to computer connection or the iPhone dock and
    you're back in business with a fully charged battery in 15 minutes.
    Ever try that with a cell phone?

    If you use the iPhone for just watching videos then you can do so for
    16 hours. That means you could fly to Hawaii and back from SF 5 times
    before having to recharge. For just music you can listen for a full
    48 hours. You'll be able to sit in standby mode for 256 hours -
    longer then any cell phone on the market today. The battery has a
    shelf life of seven years. There is a great outcry by Apple's
    detractors over the fact that Apple charges $80 for a battery
    replacement. Bottom line here - if you still own your iPhone in seven
    years (when the battery finally gives out) then $80 for a new battery
    is entirely justifiable. OTOH, add up the cost of the battery
    replacements you have to buy for your Nokia and you'll far exceed $80
    over a seven year period. (Duh...)

    Did we talk about the virtual keyboard which every other cell phone
    manufacturer is whining about? They are whining because they didn't
    come up with it themselves, instead, their cell phones must include
    the unsightly tiny little push buttons that so many teens become
    experts at using their tiny two thumbs. The iPhone virtual keyboard
    is nearly a standard keyboard layout but it teaches itself to work
    with you the more you use it. If you address your message to
    "Rumplestiltskin" it will figure this out quickly and by the time you
    insert the Ru the word Rumplestiltskin will pop to screen. And yes,
    you can two thumb it. When you touch the key the letter is magnified
    so you know exactly what key you have pressed. If you misspell, it
    corrects that misspelling for you. So in reality, the iPhone virtual
    keyboard is not only a more advanced keyboard then the standard cell
    phone (or Blackberry or Treo) but it is intuitive and faster.

    Now for those of you who say "All I need is a $5 Nokia from
    Goodwill.." then best of luck to you. Hopefully you can get your
    kid's wagon and plop your old desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse and
    a set of speakers in it and when you need to send off a quick message,
    check a Google map for direction, look to see how much you've lost in
    the stock market, or listen to music you can find some electricity
    somewhere and plug that monstrosity in.

    But for me and for millions of other cell phone users, the iPhone has
    changed the cell phone industry and pushed all those Nokias, Motorolas
    and Sonys over and onto their backs. Their little legs are twitching
    and fighting to flip over and they just can't do it.

    Do you get it now?

    Tim...

  7. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    >>> Now I really feel sorry for you but I am oh so very glad I live in
    >>> America where we have some semblence of freedom.

    >> You do realize that cell phones are just as locked down in the States as
    >> Canada don't you?

    > What I realize is that Canada has but one phone company and should the
    > citizens there want to use the iPhone they will have to pay enormous
    > monthly fees for unlimited internet access and cell phone use compared
    > to what I pay for unlimited iPhone internet access and cell phone use
    > through my American service provider.

    Perhaps you should research better, there are 3 phone providers where I
    live. Was 4 until recently when the smaller GMS provider was bought out
    by the bigger one.
    Dave

  8. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    On Thu, 02 Aug 2007 22:04:02 -0700, The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    :Tim...
    :
    :Tim...

    http://dink.org/timmy!.jpg

  9. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    In <1186184379.940277.98010@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>, on 08/03/2007
    at 04:39 PM, The OS/2 Guy said:

    >I dunno, you guys just aren't "getting it" when it comes to the iPhone.

    We get it. We just don't *need it. And you don't seem to get that.

> [...]

    >keyboard then the standard cell phone (or Blackberry or Treo) but it is
    >intuitive and faster.

    >Now for those of you who say "All I need is a $5 Nokia from
    >Goodwill.." then best of luck to you. Hopefully you can get your kid's
    >wagon and plop your old desktop, monitor, keyboard and mouse and a set of
    >speakers in it and when you need to send off a quick message, check a
    >Google map for direction, look to see how much you've lost in the stock
    >market, or listen to music you can find some electricity somewhere and
    >plug that monstrosity in.

    >But for me and for millions of other cell phone users, the iPhone has
    >changed the cell phone industry and pushed all those Nokias, Motorolas
    >and Sonys over and onto their backs. Their little legs are twitching and
    >fighting to flip over and they just can't do it.

  10. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 10:47:56 GMT, eolrtdue@nospam.net
    wrote:

    > In <1186184379.940277.98010@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>, on 08/03/2007
    > at 04:39 PM, The OS/2 Guy said:
    >
    >>I dunno, you guys just aren't "getting it" when it comes to the iPhone.

    > We get it. We just don't *need it. And you don't seem to get that.

    Well you certainly don't get it you moron. Quoting the troll's enire post
    which we are not interested in just to add one line. Use your ****ing brain
    next time, or preferably don't bother. Don't feed the troll.

  11. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    On Aug 4, 7:56 am, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > Well you certainly don't get it you moron. Quoting the troll's enire post
    > which we are not interested in just to add one line. Use your ****ing brain
    > next time, or preferably don't bother. Don't feed the troll.

    LOL! Dance puppet, dance. With wing-nuts like this no one should be
    surprised why the OS/2 community has but a handful of bitter petty
    whiners left.

    [ Apparently a private message was beyond The Rat's comprehension. ]
    If you're going to belittle each other then do so privately. At least
    there you can toss around all the profanity you want and not appear
    publicly for what you really are: an efffing idyit. :-)

    Tim...

  12. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    In , on 08/04/2007
    at 02:56 PM, Paul Ratcliffe said:

    >On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 10:47:56 GMT, eolrtdue@nospam.net
    > wrote:

    >> In <1186184379.940277.98010@e9g2000prf.googlegroups.co m>, on 08/03/2007
    >> at 04:39 PM, The OS/2 Guy said:
    >>
    >>>I dunno, you guys just aren't "getting it" when it comes to the iPhone.

    >> We get it. We just don't *need it. And you don't seem to get that.

    >Well you certainly don't get it you moron. Quoting the troll's enire post
    >which we are not interested in just to add one line. Use your ****ing
    >brain next time, or preferably don't bother. Don't feed the troll.

    Up grade your service to broadband and you won't notice it.

  13. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    On Sat, 4 Aug 2007 21:53:45 UTC, oerldteu@nospam.net wrote:

    > In , on 08/04/2007
    > at 02:56 PM, Paul Ratcliffe said:
    >
    > >On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 10:47:56 GMT, eolrtdue@nospam.net
    > > wrote:

    > >> We get it. We just don't *need it. And you don't seem to get that.

    > >Well you certainly don't get it you moron. Quoting the troll's enire post
    > >which we are not interested in just to add one line. Use your ****ing
    > >brain next time, or preferably don't bother. Don't feed the troll.

    > Up grade your service to broadband and you won't notice it.

    Which bit of 'don't feed the troll' did you fail to understand?
    --
    Bob Eager

  14. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    On Sat, 04 Aug 2007 21:53:45 GMT, oerldteu@nospam.net
    wrote:

    >>> We get it. We just don't *need it. And you don't seem to get that.

    >>Well you certainly don't get it you moron. Quoting the troll's enire post
    >>which we are not interested in just to add one line. Use your ****ing
    >>brain next time, or preferably don't bother. Don't feed the troll.

    > Up grade your service to broadband and you won't notice it.

    That is so spectacularly NOT the point you cretin.

    How presumptious of you to assume I'm not on broadand. Why don't you toddle
    off to a Windoze group? You seem like you don't belong here.

  15. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    Stop the whining adn grow up.

    In , on 08/05/2007
    at 12:45 AM, Paul Ratcliffe said:

    >>>Well you certainly don't get it you moron. Quoting the troll's enire post
    >>>which we are not interested in just to add one line. Use your ****ing
    >>>brain next time, or preferably don't bother. Don't feed the troll.

    >> Up grade your service to broadband and you won't notice it.

    >That is so spectacularly NOT the point you cretin.

    >How presumptious of you to assume I'm not on broadand. Why don't you
    >toddle off to a Windoze group? You seem like you don't belong here.

  16. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    On Aug 4, 5:45 pm, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > How presumptious of you to assume I'm not on broadand. Why don't you toddle
    > off to a Windoze group? You seem like you don't belong here.

    LOL! Snipe! Snipe! Snipe!

    More, please. You haven't made a big enough fool of yourself yet.

    Tim...

  17. Re: Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    On Aug 5, 4:55 am, The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > On Aug 4, 5:45 pm, Paul Ratcliffe
    > wrote:
    >
    > > How presumptious of you to assume I'm not on broadand. Why don't you toddle
    > > off to a Windoze group? You seem like you don't belong here.

    > LOL! Snipe! Snipe! Snipe!
    >
    > More, please. You haven't made a big enough fool of yourself yet.
    >
    > Tim...

    More: Google FAQ + OS2Guy

    KdG

  18. Re: [FUD4] Cell phone unneccesary nonsense

    On Sun, 5 Aug 2007 10:10:14 UTC, "K. Melland"
    wrote:

    -> On Aug 5, 4:55 am,  The OS/2 Guy  wrote:
    -> > On Aug 4, 5:45 pm, Paul Ratcliffe
    -> > wrote:
    -> >
    -> > > How presumptious of you to assume I'm not on broadand. Why don't you toddle
    -> > > off to a Windoze group? You seem like you don't belong here.
    -> >
    -> > LOL! Snipe! Snipe! Snipe!
    -> >
    -> > More, please. You haven't made a big enough fool of yourself yet.
    -> >
    -> > Tim...
    ->
    ->