ViewSonic LCD VX922 - OS2

This is a discussion on ViewSonic LCD VX922 - OS2 ; I have purchased a Viewsonic VX922 LCD monitor. It looks good, Snap recognized it, and my Matrox G450 has no problem runing 1280x1024. Question - I still use a Dos Word Processor (Multimate) in an MDos full screen. Opening it ...

  1. ViewSonic LCD VX922

    I have purchased a Viewsonic VX922 LCD monitor. It looks good, Snap
    recognized it, and my Matrox G450 has no problem runing 1280x1024.

    Question - I still use a Dos Word Processor (Multimate) in an MDos full
    screen. Opening it with the Viewsonic, the text is too far to the left (a
    few letters at the start of each sentence are offscreen.) Is there a way
    to adjust the display of just that program, and others that may also show
    the same problem when I get to them?

    Thank you,

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  2. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    In <4680080b$1$nynaurff$mr2ice@newsgroups.comcast.net>, nobody@junk.min.net writes:
    >I have purchased a Viewsonic VX922 LCD monitor. It looks good, Snap
    >recognized it, and my Matrox G450 has no problem runing 1280x1024.
    >
    >Question - I still use a Dos Word Processor (Multimate) in an MDos full
    >screen. Opening it with the Viewsonic, the text is too far to the left (a
    >few letters at the start of each sentence are offscreen.) Is there a way
    >to adjust the display of just that program, and others that may also show
    >the same problem when I get to them?

    My HP LCD screen had the same feature with the boot up text. The screen died in
    childhood and the replacement did not show the left alignment feature.

  3. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    In article <4680080b$1$nynaurff$mr2ice@newsgroups.comcast.net>
    nobody@junk.min.net writes:

    > I have purchased a Viewsonic VX922 LCD monitor. It looks good, Snap
    > recognized it, and my Matrox G450 has no problem runing 1280x1024.
    >
    > Question - I still use a Dos Word Processor (Multimate) in an MDos full
    > screen. Opening it with the Viewsonic, the text is too far to the left (a
    > few letters at the start of each sentence are offscreen.) Is there a way
    > to adjust the display of just that program, and others that may also show
    > the same problem when I get to them?

    If your LCD is anything like mine, there will be a menuing system
    on it (probably accessed via a button on the LCD unit) which lets
    you set up parameters for each display mode -- could be that your
    VDOS sessions (what you called "MDos", I believe) use a parameter
    set other than those used by the main OS/2 session. Mine does.

    Or maybe Multimate needs to be told about the display? WordStar,
    which I use, does when giving its version of a "preview".
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  4. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    In <1182801015snz@deltrak.demon.co.uk>, on 06/25/07
    at 07:50 PM, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) said:

    >> I have purchased a Viewsonic VX922 LCD monitor. It looks good, Snap
    >> recognized it, and my Matrox G450 has no problem runing 1280x1024.
    >>
    >> Question - I still use a Dos Word Processor (Multimate) in an MDos full
    >> screen. Opening it with the Viewsonic, the text is too far to the left (a
    >> few letters at the start of each sentence are offscreen.) Is there a way
    >> to adjust the display of just that program, and others that may also show
    >> the same problem when I get to them?

    >If your LCD is anything like mine, there will be a menuing system on it
    >(probably accessed via a button on the LCD unit) which lets you set up
    >parameters for each display mode -- could be that your VDOS sessions
    >(what you called "MDos", I believe) use a parameter set other than those
    >used by the main OS/2 session. Mine does.

    There is a menuing system - I'll see if it has such parameters.

    >Or maybe Multimate needs to be told about the display? WordStar, which I
    >use, does when giving its version of a "preview".

    Multimate doesn't seem to have a way to be told about the display.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  5. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:17:19 UTC, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    > I have purchased a Viewsonic VX922 LCD monitor. It looks good, Snap
    > recognized it, and my Matrox G450 has no problem runing 1280x1024.
    >
    > Question - I still use a Dos Word Processor (Multimate) in an MDos full
    > screen. Opening it with the Viewsonic, the text is too far to the left (a
    > few letters at the start of each sentence are offscreen.) Is there a way
    > to adjust the display of just that program, and others that may also show
    > the same problem when I get to them?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >

    > Alan

    I have a menu system on my HP - vp17. It has an "Auto" feature which
    lets the LCD set the screen. I started with the same trouble on
    Regular DOS, but when I booted DOS, I pressed the "Auto" button to let
    the LCD set itself. This corrected the left off screen letters. It
    also corred it in OS/2's full screen VDOS sessions. See if you have a
    menu selection that lets the LCD set itself. The have it set itself
    in each of the resolutions you plan to use (DOS would be 640 x 480

    Hope this helps
    Paul

    --

  6. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    In , on 06/26/07
    at 03:31 AM, "PaulRS" said:

    >> Question - I still use a Dos Word Processor (Multimate) in an MDos full
    >> screen. Opening it with the Viewsonic, the text is too far to the left (a
    >> few letters at the start of each sentence are offscreen.) Is there a way
    >> to adjust the display of just that program, and others that may also show
    >> the same problem when I get to them?

    >I have a menu system on my HP - vp17. It has an "Auto" feature which
    >lets the LCD set the screen. I started with the same trouble on Regular
    >DOS, but when I booted DOS, I pressed the "Auto" button to let the LCD
    >set itself. This corrected the left off screen letters. It also corred
    >it in OS/2's full screen VDOS sessions. See if you have a menu selection
    >that lets the LCD set itself. The have it set itself in each of the
    >resolutions you plan to use (DOS would be 640 x 480

    Thank you, the monitor does have an "Auto" feature - that seems to have
    fixed Multimate. So I need to do that with everything? For example,
    after every reboot, Seamonkey opens too wide for the screen (right side is
    off screen - the X and minimize buttons. I have to use alt-F7 and locked
    left mouse button to resize.) The screen is set to 1280x1024, 60 Hz, and
    the desktop is fine.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  7. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:36:40 UTC, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    > In , on 06/26/07
    > at 03:31 AM, "PaulRS" said:
    >
    > >> Question - I still use a Dos Word Processor (Multimate) in an MDos full
    > >> screen. Opening it with the Viewsonic, the text is too far to the left (a
    > >> few letters at the start of each sentence are offscreen.) Is there a way
    > >> to adjust the display of just that program, and others that may also show
    > >> the same problem when I get to them?

    > >I have a menu system on my HP - vp17. It has an "Auto" feature which
    > >lets the LCD set the screen. I started with the same trouble on Regular
    > >DOS, but when I booted DOS, I pressed the "Auto" button to let the LCD
    > >set itself. This corrected the left off screen letters. It also corred
    > >it in OS/2's full screen VDOS sessions. See if you have a menu selection
    > >that lets the LCD set itself. The have it set itself in each of the
    > >resolutions you plan to use (DOS would be 640 x 480

    > Thank you, the monitor does have an "Auto" feature - that seems to have
    > fixed Multimate. So I need to do that with everything? For example,
    > after every reboot, Seamonkey opens too wide for the screen (right side is
    > off screen - the X and minimize buttons. I have to use alt-F7 and locked
    > left mouse button to resize.) The screen is set to 1280x1024, 60 Hz, and
    > the desktop is fine.
    >

    > Alan

    If the Desktop is fine then the problem is Sea Monkey. Reduce it with
    the Reduce/Full size box. Then set it to the size you want. If it is
    Full Size and off screen, this is because of the change in Resolution
    from your earlier monitor to the new one. Grabe the title bar with
    the mouse and move it over in reduced mode - Play with it. You should
    be alble move it in reduced size all over the screen and adjust the
    browser size.

    On the other point. My HP -vp17 sets optium centering, etc. when Aut
    is pressed FOR EACH RESOLUTION used. DOS is 640 x 480 (Auto sets it)
    OS2 is 1280 x 1024 but auto set my refresh rate to 75Hz. I also use
    Linux and Win2000 on the same LCD - Win 2000 (another box) is set to
    1024 x 768 so I can put it in a window on my OS/2 desktop with
    RealVNC setup. (When directly on the monitor is is not the best
    because not using the LCD's optium resolution. However on the OS/2
    desltop window (1280 x 1024) it appears great.
    Paul

    --

  8. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    In , on 06/27/07
    at 03:36 AM, "PaulRS" said:

    >If the Desktop is fine then the problem is Sea Monkey. Reduce it with
    >the Reduce/Full size box. Then set it to the size you want. If it is
    >Full Size and off screen, this is because of the change in Resolution
    >from your earlier monitor to the new one. Grabe the title bar with the
    >mouse and move it over in reduced mode - Play with it. You should be
    >alble move it in reduced size all over the screen and adjust the browser
    >size.

    This worked. Thanks.

    >On the other point. My HP -vp17 sets optium centering, etc. when Aut is
    >pressed FOR EACH RESOLUTION used. DOS is 640 x 480 (Auto sets it) OS2
    >is 1280 x 1024 but auto set my refresh rate to 75Hz. I also use Linux

    When Snap first recognized the new monitor, it set refresh rate at 75 Hz.
    I changed it to 60 Hz, as that's the recommended setting according to the
    monitor documentation. Whould I be better at 75?

    >and Win2000 on the same LCD - Win 2000 (another box) is set to 1024 x
    >768 so I can put it in a window on my OS/2 desktop with RealVNC setup.
    >(When directly on the monitor is is not the best because not using the
    >LCD's optium resolution. However on the OS/2 desltop window (1280 x
    >1024) it appears great.

    One of these days, I'll manage to get Ubuntu installed and try to play
    with it.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  9. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:38:22 UTC, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    > In , on 06/27/07
    > at 03:36 AM, "PaulRS" said:
    >

    > >If the Desktop is fine then the problem is Sea Monkey. Reduce it with
    > >the Reduce/Full size box. Then set it to the size you want. If it is
    > >Full Size and off screen, this is because of the change in Resolution
    > >from your earlier monitor to the new one. Grabe the title bar with the
    > >mouse and move it over in reduced mode - Play with it. You should be
    > >alble move it in reduced size all over the screen and adjust the browser
    > >size.

    > This worked. Thanks.
    >
    > >On the other point. My HP -vp17 sets optium centering, etc. when Aut is
    > >pressed FOR EACH RESOLUTION used. DOS is 640 x 480 (Auto sets it) OS2
    > >is 1280 x 1024 but auto set my refresh rate to 75Hz. I also use Linux

    > When Snap first recognized the new monitor, it set refresh rate at 75 Hz.
    > I changed it to 60 Hz, as that's the recommended setting according to the
    > monitor documentation. Whould I be better at 75?

    I initially did the same thing with my monitor, but then I thought
    things looked better at 75Hz (and the monitor specs supported a
    maximum of 75Hz) so I changed it back to what SNAP set it (75Hz). I
    have read several comments in this newsgroup on the meaninglessness of
    that figure (60Hz-75Hz) with LCD monitors as these are specs for CRT
    monitors --- so I am not really sure of anything here. That is why I
    let SNAP "call it!" as it was designed to be 'plug and play' in video.
    Paul

    --

  10. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    In article <4682af9c$1$nynaurff$mr2ice@newsgroups.comcast.net>
    nobody@junk.min.net writes:

    > When Snap first recognized the new monitor, it set refresh rate
    > at 75 Hz. I changed it to 60 Hz, as that's the recommended
    > setting according to the monitor documentation. Whould I be
    > better at 75?

    I tried that with my LCD monitor (the one in my response to you,
    way back) and it freaked out: crazy hashes of lines and colours.
    So I put it back. 60Hz is fast enough. 25Hz would be, unless a
    few strange genes have snuck into your eyes' ancestry.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  11. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    PaulRS wrote:

    > On the other point. My HP -vp17 sets optium centering, etc. when Aut
    > is pressed FOR EACH RESOLUTION used. DOS is 640 x 480 (Auto sets it)
    > OS2 is 1280 x 1024 but auto set my refresh rate to 75Hz. I also use
    > Linux and Win2000 on the same LCD - Win 2000 (another box) is set to
    > 1024 x 768 so I can put it in a window on my OS/2 desktop with
    > RealVNC setup. (When directly on the monitor is is not the best
    > because not using the LCD's optium resolution. However on the OS/2
    > desltop window (1280 x 1024) it appears great.
    > Paul

    I tried using VNC to a Windows box. I found that this:

    http://www.elusiva.com/opensource/
    ( the Java Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) Client)
    works much better for me. The performance seems
    to be better, and the redraws don't get out of synch.

    Bob Plyler IBM 3890/XP Development
    (not an official IBM spokesperson)

  12. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    In <1182978756snz@deltrak.demon.co.uk>, on 06/27/07
    at 09:12 PM, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) said:

    >> When Snap first recognized the new monitor, it set refresh rate
    >> at 75 Hz. I changed it to 60 Hz, as that's the recommended
    >> setting according to the monitor documentation. Whould I be
    >> better at 75?

    >I tried that with my LCD monitor (the one in my response to you, way
    >back) and it freaked out: crazy hashes of lines and colours. So I put it
    >back. 60Hz is fast enough. 25Hz would be, unless a few strange genes
    >have snuck into your eyes' ancestry. --

    As long as the monitor display fits in the screen, I'm happy. Right now, the monitor is at 75 Hz, and seems happy, but it can easily be returned to 60 Hz without even a reboot, thanks to Snap.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  13. Re: ViewSonic LCD VX922

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > In <1182978756snz@deltrak.demon.co.uk>, on 06/27/07
    > at 09:12 PM, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew Stephenson) said:
    >
    >>> When Snap first recognized the new monitor, it set refresh rate
    >>> at 75 Hz. I changed it to 60 Hz, as that's the recommended
    >>> setting according to the monitor documentation. Whould I be
    >>> better at 75?

    >> I tried that with my LCD monitor (the one in my response to you, way
    >> back) and it freaked out: crazy hashes of lines and colours. So I put it
    >> back. 60Hz is fast enough. 25Hz would be, unless a few strange genes
    >> have snuck into your eyes' ancestry. --

    > As long as the monitor display fits in the screen, I'm happy. Right now, the monitor is at 75 Hz, and seems happy, but it can easily be returned to 60 Hz without even a reboot, thanks to Snap.
    >

    > Alan

    Did you realize that LCD monitors do not use the Refresh Rate? Only
    CRT's have a settable Refresh Rate.

+ Reply to Thread