[New] oo - a WPS commandline tool - OS2

This is a discussion on [New] oo - a WPS commandline tool - OS2 ; I'm pleased to announce the release of 'oo', a WPS commandline tool. You can use 'oo' at the commandline or in scripts to: open, locate, and list WPS objects, assign setup strings, popup their menus, get info, even "drop" files ...

  1. [New] oo - a WPS commandline tool

    I'm pleased to announce the release of 'oo', a WPS commandline tool.

    You can use 'oo' at the commandline or in scripts to: open, locate,
    and list WPS objects, assign setup strings, popup their menus, get
    info, even "drop" files on program objects.

    Beside being more powerful than REXX functions like SysSetObjectData,
    'oo' is also more versatile: it can accept the path to any kind of
    object, not just files or folders (eg program objects, shadows, etc).

    You can get 'oo' from:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-search?key=oo100.zip
    or
    http://e-vertise.com/misc/oo100.zip

    'oo' is freeware and is released under the Mozilla Public license.
    Refer to 'oo.txt' for a comprehensive description of its features;
    run it without any parameters for a concise help screen.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rich AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Cameraderie v1.5
    Rich Walsh | an organizer & downloader for your digital camera
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/misc/camera15.zip

  2. Re: [New] oo - a WPS commandline tool

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:25:07 UTC, "Rich Walsh" wrote:

    > You can use 'oo' at the commandline or in scripts to: open, locate,
    > and list WPS objects, assign setup strings, popup their menus, get
    > info, even "drop" files on program objects.
    >
    > Beside being more powerful than REXX functions like SysSetObjectData,
    > 'oo' is also more versatile: it can accept the path to any kind of
    > object, not just files or folders (eg program objects, shadows, etc).

    That is pretty cool, and also more understandable to non-REXX people
    like me. Thanks! Could you add stripping of a trailing / or \ from
    paths? Otherwise stuff like
    oo /i Programs\
    give
    "invalid or malformed path"
    --
    Greetings, | My From: address is valid as is the version without "spam"
    Peter. | I try to find real messages among the spam once a week

  3. Re: [New] oo - a WPS commandline tool

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:13:10 UTC, "Peter Weilbacher" wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:25:07 UTC, "Rich Walsh" wrote:
    >
    > > You can use 'oo' at the commandline or in scripts to: open, locate,
    > > and list WPS objects, assign setup strings, popup their menus, get
    > > info, even "drop" files on program objects.
    > >
    > > Beside being more powerful than REXX functions like SysSetObjectData,
    > > 'oo' is also more versatile: it can accept the path to any kind of
    > > object, not just files or folders (eg program objects, shadows, etc).

    > That is pretty cool, and also more understandable to non-REXX people
    > like me. Thanks! Could you add stripping of a trailing / or \ from
    > paths? Otherwise stuff like
    > oo /i Programs\
    > give
    > "invalid or malformed path"

    Sure. I was planning on releasing a new version in a week or two, so
    I'll add this. Personally, I like oo because I don't have to write a
    script to do something trivial, like make a non-deletable object
    deletable. E.g. oo /a "c:\desktop\Some Object" NODELETE=NO

    FYI... one of the new features will be a "delete object" function
    that (optionally) should be able to delete almost anything.

    --
    == == almost usable email address: rich AT e-vertise.com == ==

    | Cameraderie v1.5
    Rich Walsh | an organizer & downloader for your digital camera
    Ft Myers, FL | http://e-vertise.com/misc/camera15.zip

  4. Re: [New] oo - a WPS commandline tool

    On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:25:07 UTC, "Rich Walsh" wrote:

    > I'm pleased to announce the release of 'oo', a WPS commandline tool.

    Will there also be a release of rws 0.80?

    Ciao, Harald

    --

    This OS/2 system's uptime is at least 5 days 05:39 hours and 51 seconds

  5. Re: [New] oo - a WPS commandline tool

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 20:13:19 UTC, "Rich Walsh"
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:13:10 UTC, "Peter Weilbacher" wrote:
    > > On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:25:07 UTC, "Rich Walsh" wrote:
    > >
    > > > You can use 'oo' at the commandline or in scripts to: open, locate,
    > > > and list WPS objects, assign setup strings, popup their menus, get
    > > > info, even "drop" files on program objects.
    > > >
    > > > Beside being more powerful than REXX functions like SysSetObjectData,
    > > > 'oo' is also more versatile: it can accept the path to any kind of
    > > > object, not just files or folders (eg program objects, shadows, etc).

    > > That is pretty cool, and also more understandable to non-REXX people
    > > like me. Thanks! Could you add stripping of a trailing / or \ from
    > > paths? Otherwise stuff like
    > > oo /i Programs\
    > > give
    > > "invalid or malformed path"

    > Sure. I was planning on releasing a new version in a week or two, so
    > I'll add this. Personally, I like oo because I don't have to write a
    > script to do something trivial, like make a non-deletable object
    > deletable. E.g. oo /a "c:\desktop\Some Object" NODELETE=NO
    >
    > FYI... one of the new features will be a "delete object" function
    > that (optionally) should be able to delete almost anything.

    If you are considering new features, one I'd like to see is a "Query
    setup string" feature.

    Thanks!

    --

    John Small

    (remove the z's for email address)

  6. Re: [New] oo - a WPS commandline tool

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:56:58 -0000, John Small wrote:

    >> Sure. I was planning on releasing a new version in a week or two, so
    >> I'll add this. Personally, I like oo because I don't have to write a
    >> script to do something trivial, like make a non-deletable object
    >> deletable. E.g. oo /a "c:\desktop\Some Object" NODELETE=NO
    >>
    >> FYI... one of the new features will be a "delete object" function
    >> that (optionally) should be able to delete almost anything.

    > If you are considering new features, one I'd like to see is a "Query
    > setup string" feature.

    There is no underlying support in the WPS for such a thing, so it would be
    a big job to reverse engineer all the instance data settings for every
    object type. Some of this has already been done in XWP using the WRITEREXXSETUP
    setup string command.

  7. Re: [New] oo - a WPS commandline tool

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:09:01 UTC, Paul Ratcliffe
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:56:58 -0000, John Small wrote:
    >
    > >> Sure. I was planning on releasing a new version in a week or two, so
    > >> I'll add this. Personally, I like oo because I don't have to write a
    > >> script to do something trivial, like make a non-deletable object
    > >> deletable. E.g. oo /a "c:\desktop\Some Object" NODELETE=NO
    > >>
    > >> FYI... one of the new features will be a "delete object" function
    > >> that (optionally) should be able to delete almost anything.

    > > If you are considering new features, one I'd like to see is a "Query
    > > setup string" feature.

    > There is no underlying support in the WPS for such a thing, so it would be
    > a big job to reverse engineer all the instance data settings for every
    > object type. Some of this has already been done in XWP using the WRITEREXXSETUP
    > setup string command.

    Henk Kelder's WPTOOL also does this. I was just hoping the OO could do
    the same with a smaller "footprint".

    --

    John Small

    (remove the z's for email address)