17" laptop - OS2

This is a discussion on 17" laptop - OS2 ; hey all.. I'm trolling for some opinion on a 17" laptop I may gets. what are you using for a 17" laptop? what made you that model? AMD or Intel?...

  1. 17" laptop

    hey all..

    I'm trolling for some opinion on a 17" laptop I may gets.

    what are you using for a 17" laptop? what made you that model? AMD or
    Intel?

  2. Re: 17" laptop

    Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    > hey all..
    >
    > I'm trolling for some opinion on a 17" laptop I may gets.
    >
    > what are you using for a 17" laptop? what made you that model? AMD or
    > Intel?

    Hope you plan on parking it on a desk for the most part... As a
    engineering road warrior who's carried a laptop since they were first
    invented (and before - can you say Osborn?) I gotta tell you big laptops
    are pain in the... back. Too bulky and heavy to live with everyday! I
    know several sales reps who have come to the same conclusion and turned
    in their wide-screens for standard 14.1" laptops

    Cheers!

  3. Re: 17" laptop

    Richard Budd wrote:

    > Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    >
    >> hey all..
    >>
    >> I'm trolling for some opinion on a 17" laptop I may gets.
    >>
    >> what are you using for a 17" laptop? what made you that model? AMD
    >> or Intel?
    >>

    > Hope you plan on parking it on a desk for the most part... As a
    > engineering road warrior who's carried a laptop since they were first
    > invented (and before - can you say Osborn?) I gotta tell you big
    > laptops are pain in the... back. Too bulky and heavy to live with
    > everyday! I know several sales reps who have come to the same
    > conclusion and turned in their wide-screens for standard 14.1" laptops
    >
    > Cheers!

    I take it that a 15" laptop might be better?

  4. Re: 17" laptop

    On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:26:27 UTC, Dilbert Firestorm
    wrote:

    -> Richard Budd wrote:
    ->
    -> > Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    -> >
    -> >> hey all..
    -> >>
[...]

    It's a personal choice thing but I find a light-weight 15" with a
    UXGA(1600x1200) screen to be very usable and a good compromise. I'd
    love a 17" but I think it would just be too heavy. My previous Intel
    P4 laptop was a 15.4" with just a 1024x786 display. It was both
    heavy, had the limited display and would work well as a room heater as
    well.

    I'm really happy with my IBM T42p now. Its relatively light weight yet
    a decent screen size/resolution. In fact I busted the motherboard
    because I kept picking it up with one hand which flexed the
    motherboard (turned out this was a known problem with these T42s and
    IBM replaced the motherboard under warranty).

    Its several years old now so not sure what good the info is to you but
    this IBM T42p is an Intel Pentium Centrino Mobile 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, ATI
    Radeon Mobility M10 NT (RV350-WS)(256MB) which works with SNAP,Intel
    82801DB/DBL AC'97 Audio Controller (ICH4/ICH4-L A1 step) which mostly
    works (no Midi and at times sound just cuts out until reboot) with the
    latest Uniaud driver), An Intel 2200bg wireless NIC which works with
    some tweaking of the BIOS (turn off speedstep) with the Genmac 2.0
    driver, an Intel Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile) which works with
    the Intel 1000/Pro driver. PCMCIA is a TI PCI4520 PC card CardBus
    Controller. Haven't actually used that in a long time but I'm pretty
    sure the IBM2SS14.SYS driver works with this. USB 2.0 works with the
    latest USB drivers available with eCS, at least for my Epson Photo 820
    printer and the Flash card reader and flash drives I have tried s well
    as my HP7940c scanner with the latest Tame/2. Power off works with
    ACPI, but suspend does not, but at one time it did work but I think
    that was with APM. Neither the builtin modem or bluetooth work of
    course. besides the display one of my requirement was a trackpoint
    which this has (as well as one of those stupid touchpads which I
    turned off). I don't think any current models of laptops still have
    the trackpoint. :-(

    My kids have 15.4" Apple Macbook Pros which are really nice as well,
    but no OS/2-eCS. Just Mac OSX. But everything works on them. Its a
    beautiful machine but I like the UXGA display on my T42p better and
    you can't get that on a MBP that I'm aware of. Even the 17" MBP only
    has a 1680x1050 display.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  5. Re: 17" laptop

    Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    > Richard Budd wrote:
    >
    >> Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    >>
    >>> hey all..
    >>>
    >>> I'm trolling for some opinion on a 17" laptop I may gets.
    >>>
    >>> what are you using for a 17" laptop? what made you that model? AMD
    >>> or Intel?
    >>>

    >> Hope you plan on parking it on a desk for the most part... As a
    >> engineering road warrior who's carried a laptop since they were first
    >> invented (and before - can you say Osborn?) I gotta tell you big
    >> laptops are pain in the... back. Too bulky and heavy to live with
    >> everyday! I know several sales reps who have come to the same
    >> conclusion and turned in their wide-screens for standard 14.1" laptops
    >>
    >> Cheers!

    > I take it that a 15" laptop might be better?

    I agree with Mark, somewhere around 15" is as big as I'd get. Again, for
    me it's strictly a portability issue. Carry around a folded in half copy
    of the WSJ or similar sized and thick newspaper for a day or so to get
    an idea of the bulk factor...

    Something to be careful of with hi-rez screens (above 1024x768) is how
    OS/2 handles running at non-native screen rez to get larger icons &
    other objects- it can get pretty ugly. My girlfriends T30 uses 1280x1024
    which of course gives the best display but even with Large Icons ON, my
    old eyes can't work that tiny anymore W2k handles the scaling great
    but OS/2 with the SNAP ATI driver never quite gets it right ;(

    Cheers!

  6. Re: 17" laptop

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 07:26:27 UTC, Dilbert Firestorm
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> Richard Budd wrote:
    > ->
    > -> > Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    > -> >
    > huge snip

    > course. besides the display one of my requirement was a trackpoint
    > which this has (as well as one of those stupid touchpads which I
    > turned off). I don't think any current models of laptops still have
    > the trackpoint. :-(
    >
    > My kids have 15.4" Apple Macbook Pros which are really nice as well,
    > but no OS/2-eCS. Just Mac OSX. But everything works on them. Its a
    > beautiful machine but I like the UXGA display on my T42p better and
    > you can't get that on a MBP that I'm aware of. Even the 17" MBP only
    > has a 1680x1050 display.
    >
    > Mark

    !!! Damn sorry to here they got rid of the TP! I despise touch pads (and
    mice - is use Logitech trackballs..). The Track Point is the fastest,
    easiest, most accurate and most intuitive way to navigate around.

    Another point for ThinkPad's - they have service manuals and are a
    breeze to work on. Go to Lenovo's ThinkPad site and do a search for your
    model's service manual. I got one for my T23 & me girlfriends T30.
    They're free and in PDf format, clear as a bell to follow & use.

    I recently replaced the heat-sink/fan assy on my 5-year old T23 and it
    took all of maybe a 1/2 hour. Batteries out, HD out & ultra-bay device
    out, back shell off, top shell followed by keyboard & hinge covers &
    finally the heat-sink/fan assy. Piece of cake! Everything is screwed
    together with metal reinforced threads so ya can't strip plastic ones,
    no 'Press or pry in x manner and locations until you hear scary popping
    noises'...

    Cheers!

  7. Re: 17" laptop

    In <0WSei.26453$YL5.7379@newssvr29.news.prodigy.net>, on 06/22/2007
    at 04:38 PM, Richard Budd said:

    >Hope you plan on parking it on a desk for the most part... As a
    >engineering road warrior who's carried a laptop since they were first
    > invented (and before - can you say Osborn?) I gotta tell you big
    >laptops are pain in the... back. Too bulky and heavy to live with
    >everyday! I

    Ever carry a PortaComm? 20 KG or so. If I could get a laptop with a
    full size keyboard[1] and a large display, I wouldn't mind the extra
    weight.

    [1] Without a touchpad in front.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

+ Reply to Thread