How Do I Connect To Internet - OS2

This is a discussion on How Do I Connect To Internet - OS2 ; I have OS/2 Warp 4 installed and I want to access the Internet through a router. Can anyone give me any info on how to configure OS/2? The router acts as a DHCP server so the IP address can change. ...

  1. How Do I Connect To Internet

    I have OS/2 Warp 4 installed and I want to access the Internet through a
    router. Can anyone give me any info on how to configure OS/2? The router
    acts as a DHCP server so the IP address can change. Thanks.

  2. Re: How Do I Connect To Internet

    Sir:

    gregoryhouse4@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have OS/2 Warp 4 installed and I want to access the Internet through a
    > router. Can anyone give me any info on how to configure OS/2? The router
    > acts as a DHCP server so the IP address can change. Thanks.

    If I may assume a little, you need to have a working LAN connection, eg.
    your NIC must pass the install as reported in \IBMCOM\Lantran.log. If
    that is okay, then you need to open the TCPIP configuration(local) tool
    found in the System Setup folder (the little red toolbox icon). There
    on the Routing tab you set the first LAN interface(0) for enable &
    automatic setup and click upon the loopback tab at bottom of the list
    box to open the loopback page and click upon the enable check box, &
    manually and enter 127.0.0.1. On the Host Names tab page enter the name
    that you wish to call this computer by, and in the Local Domain Name
    enter some name that please you to call your LAN. Now click upon the X
    on the upper right corner to close and click upon OK to save the data.
    You have configured your machine. A reboot may be needed to get a
    lease. Congrats, and I hope you can find the last updates for your
    machine. may have them.
    PS. Please add to config.sys this:SET hostid=localhost
    Some obscure bug trips people from time to time and this fixes
    (bypasses) it.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: How Do I Connect To Internet

    On Fri, 30 May 2008 19:02:17 UTC, gregoryhouse4@gmail.com wrote:

    > I have OS/2 Warp 4 installed and I want to access the Internet through a
    > router. Can anyone give me any info on how to configure OS/2? The router
    > acts as a DHCP server so the IP address can change. Thanks.

    I have never had much luck getting warp4 to use DHCP properly. It
    *might* work, if you get ALL of the latest updates installed, but you
    will, probably, have better luck by assigning a static address. Just
    figure out what address range the router assigns, then make warp4
    close, but outside, of that range, and it should work. For instance,
    if the router assigns addresses in the range:
    192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.40 make warp 4 use a static address of
    192.168.1.5

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 2.0 RC2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  4. Re: How Do I Connect To Internet

    On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:47:18 UTC, "Doug Bissett"
    wrote:

    > > I have OS/2 Warp 4 installed and I want to access the Internet through a
    > > router. Can anyone give me any info on how to configure OS/2? The
    > > router acts as a DHCP server so the IP address can change. Thanks.

    > I have never had much luck getting warp4 to use DHCP properly. It
    > *might* work, if you get ALL of the latest updates installed, but you
    > will, probably, have better luck by assigning a static address.

    ISTR that out of the box there was a some kind of problem with the DHCP
    support, where it wouldn't work properly in some environments. I don't
    remember any details, though.

    With the latest 16-bit MPTS and TCP/IP fixes, it should work OK though.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    Fukushima, Japan

    Please take off hat when replying.

  5. Re: How Do I Connect To Internet

    On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 14:05:02 UTC "Alex Taylor"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:47:18 UTC, "Doug Bissett"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > > I have OS/2 Warp 4 installed and I want to access the Internet through a
    > > > router. Can anyone give me any info on how to configure OS/2? The
    > > > router acts as a DHCP server so the IP address can change. Thanks.

    > > I have never had much luck getting warp4 to use DHCP properly. It
    > > *might* work, if you get ALL of the latest updates installed, but you
    > > will, probably, have better luck by assigning a static address.

    > ISTR that out of the box there was a some kind of problem with the DHCP
    > support, where it wouldn't work properly in some environments. I don't
    > remember any details, though.
    >
    > With the latest 16-bit MPTS and TCP/IP fixes, it should work OK though.

    Yes, with MPTS WR_8423 and tcpip fix for dhcp, both still available
    from IBM:

    ftp://service.boulder.ibm.com
    /ps/products/mpts/fixes
    /ps/products/tcpip/fixes/v4.0os2/latest/dhcpclient

    8423 is a full MPTS package. You need the fixtool 141, which is in
    8425.

    CU/2
    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de