Browser Help - OS2

This is a discussion on Browser Help - OS2 ; Hi I am still using IBM WEB BROWSER and want to move to a newer, more secure browser. I went to the warpzilla site and would like some information. What is the differences between: SeaMonkey Firefox Thunderbird I searched and ...

  1. Browser Help

    Hi
    I am still using IBM WEB BROWSER and want to move to a newer, more
    secure browser. I went to the warpzilla site and would like some
    information.
    What is the differences between:
    SeaMonkey
    Firefox
    Thunderbird

    I searched and did not readily find an explaination of features,
    differences, etc. ALSO, what is recommended and why?
    Thanks,
    Paul
    --

  2. Re: Browser Help

    PaulRS wrote:
    > Hi
    > I am still using IBM WEB BROWSER and want to move to a newer, more
    > secure browser. I went to the warpzilla site and would like some
    > information.
    > What is the differences between:
    > SeaMonkey
    > Firefox
    > Thunderbird
    >
    > I searched and did not readily find an explaination of features,
    > differences, etc. ALSO, what is recommended and why?
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    I just explained this to a friend over the weekend so I appreciate that
    there are still many who don't understand the differences.

    SeaMonkey is a suite. It combines a web browser and email client
    together with chat and a web page creation tool.

    Firefox is a web browser only that can be extended by various add-ons.

    Thunderbird is an email client.

    Since you are using IBM Web Browser, the natural upgrade for you would
    be to SeaMonkey. OS2/eCS users have some challenges integrating Firefox
    and Thunderbird although there is a program that will help with that.
    Personally I use eSeaMonkey which is Peter Weilbacher's enhanced version
    of the suite. Have a look here: http://pmw-warpzilla.sourceforge.net/
    If you have not done so already, I would highly recommend using the
    SET MOZILLA_HOME statement in config.sys to make your transition easier.

  3. Re: Browser Help

    Brendan McCullough wrote:
    > PaulRS wrote:
    >> Hi
    >> I am still using IBM WEB BROWSER and want to move to a newer, more
    >> secure browser. I went to the warpzilla site and would like some
    >> information.
    >> What is the differences between:
    >> SeaMonkey
    >> Firefox
    >> Thunderbird
    >>
    >> I searched and did not readily find an explaination of features,
    >> differences, etc. ALSO, what is recommended and why?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Paul

    > I just explained this to a friend over the weekend so I appreciate that
    > there are still many who don't understand the differences.
    >
    > SeaMonkey is a suite. It combines a web browser and email client
    > together with chat and a web page creation tool.
    >
    > Firefox is a web browser only that can be extended by various add-ons.
    >
    > Thunderbird is an email client.
    >
    > Since you are using IBM Web Browser, the natural upgrade for you would
    > be to SeaMonkey. OS2/eCS users have some challenges integrating Firefox
    > and Thunderbird although there is a program that will help with that.
    > Personally I use eSeaMonkey which is Peter Weilbacher's enhanced version
    > of the suite. Have a look here: http://pmw-warpzilla.sourceforge.net/
    > If you have not done so already, I would highly recommend using the SET
    > MOZILLA_HOME statement in config.sys to make your transition easier.

    The first few versions of IWB automatically added 'SET MOZILLA_HOME =
    x:\OS2WEB to config.sys but I don't think the last couple of versions
    did that so the OP may or may not have that in config.sys.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  4. Re: Browser Help

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:16:33 UTC, Brendan McCullough
    wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > I am still using IBM WEB BROWSER and want to move to a newer, more
    > > secure browser. I went to the warpzilla site and would like some
    > > information.
    > > What is the differences between:
    > > SeaMonkey
    > > Firefox
    > > Thunderbird
    > >
    > > I searched and did not readily find an explaination of features,
    > > differences, etc. ALSO, what is recommended and why?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Paul

    > I just explained this to a friend over the weekend so I appreciate that
    > there are still many who don't understand the differences.
    >
    > SeaMonkey is a suite. It combines a web browser and email client
    > together with chat and a web page creation tool.
    >
    > Firefox is a web browser only that can be extended by various add-ons.
    >
    > Thunderbird is an email client.
    >
    > Since you are using IBM Web Browser, the natural upgrade for you would
    > be to SeaMonkey. OS2/eCS users have some challenges integrating Firefox
    > and Thunderbird although there is a program that will help with that.
    > Personally I use eSeaMonkey which is Peter Weilbacher's enhanced version
    > of the suite. Have a look here: http://pmw-warpzilla.sourceforge.net/
    > If you have not done so already, I would highly recommend using the
    > SET MOZILLA_HOME statement in config.sys to make your transition easier.

    One further question: Can I setup SeaMonkey into a new directory and
    keep the IBM Web Browser (/OS2WEB directory) or do I have to uninstall
    first?

    --

  5. Re: Browser Help

    PaulRS wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:16:33 UTC, Brendan McCullough
    > wrote:
    >
    >> PaulRS wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> I am still using IBM WEB BROWSER and want to move to a newer, more
    >>> secure browser. I went to the warpzilla site and would like some
    >>> information.
    >>> What is the differences between:
    >>> SeaMonkey
    >>> Firefox
    >>> Thunderbird
    >>>
    >>> I searched and did not readily find an explaination of features,
    >>> differences, etc. ALSO, what is recommended and why?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Paul

    >> I just explained this to a friend over the weekend so I appreciate that
    >> there are still many who don't understand the differences.
    >>
    >> SeaMonkey is a suite. It combines a web browser and email client
    >> together with chat and a web page creation tool.
    >>
    >> Firefox is a web browser only that can be extended by various add-ons.
    >>
    >> Thunderbird is an email client.
    >>
    >> Since you are using IBM Web Browser, the natural upgrade for you would
    >> be to SeaMonkey. OS2/eCS users have some challenges integrating Firefox
    >> and Thunderbird although there is a program that will help with that.
    >> Personally I use eSeaMonkey which is Peter Weilbacher's enhanced version
    >> of the suite. Have a look here: http://pmw-warpzilla.sourceforge.net/
    >> If you have not done so already, I would highly recommend using the
    >> SET MOZILLA_HOME statement in config.sys to make your transition easier.

    > One further question: Can I setup SeaMonkey into a new directory and
    > keep the IBM Web Browser (/OS2WEB directory) or do I have to uninstall
    > first?

    SeaMonkey requires that you remove the LIBPATH reference to 'browser' in
    config.sys, so I don't think you can run them concurrently. There is no
    need to remove it the /OS2WEB directory altogether though.

  6. Re: Browser Help

    Sir:

    PaulRS wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 17:16:33 UTC, Brendan McCullough
    > wrote:
    >
    >> PaulRS wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> I am still using IBM WEB BROWSER and want to move to a newer, more
    >>> secure browser. I went to the warpzilla site and would like some
    >>> information.
    >>> What is the differences between:
    >>> SeaMonkey
    >>> Firefox
    >>> Thunderbird
    >>>
    >>> I searched and did not readily find an explaination of features,
    >>> differences, etc. ALSO, what is recommended and why?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Paul

    >> I just explained this to a friend over the weekend so I appreciate that
    >> there are still many who don't understand the differences.
    >>
    >> SeaMonkey is a suite. It combines a web browser and email client
    >> together with chat and a web page creation tool.
    >>
    >> Firefox is a web browser only that can be extended by various add-ons.
    >>
    >> Thunderbird is an email client.
    >>
    >> Since you are using IBM Web Browser, the natural upgrade for you would
    >> be to SeaMonkey. OS2/eCS users have some challenges integrating Firefox
    >> and Thunderbird although there is a program that will help with that.
    >> Personally I use eSeaMonkey which is Peter Weilbacher's enhanced version
    >> of the suite. Have a look here: http://pmw-warpzilla.sourceforge.net/
    >> If you have not done so already, I would highly recommend using the
    >> SET MOZILLA_HOME statement in config.sys to make your transition easier.

    > One further question: Can I setup SeaMonkey into a new directory and
    > keep the IBM Web Browser (/OS2WEB directory) or do I have to uninstall
    > first?

    Set up SeaMonkey in a folder called SeaMonkey. Keep IWB. Don't try to
    run both at the same time until you've read and configured both as per
    instructions on the Warpzilla web page.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!