File aharing in eCs - OS2

This is a discussion on File aharing in eCs - OS2 ; Hi all. I installed eComstation 1.2 and would like to access the shared folders my XP and windows 2000 boxes over my local Lan. The network card works on the eCs machine as I'm able to browse the Internet without ...

  1. File aharing in eCs

    Hi all. I installed eComstation 1.2 and would like to access the
    shared folders my XP and windows 2000 boxes over my local Lan. The
    network card works on the eCs machine as I'm able to browse the
    Internet without any problem.

    I used the default full installation of eCs. The shared folders on
    the other 2 Microsoft machines are correct as I'm able to access the
    win2k from the XP and vise versa.

    Is there any guide as what I have to do, step by step, to allow eCs to
    see shared folders of other machines on the LAN?

    I clicked on Local Network > Lan Logon. and it came with an error
    message that the network is not available! But perhaps I'm clicking
    on the wrong icon. What is the "My network places" OS/2 equivalent?

    I'm totally new to eCs and OS/2, therefore, I would require a step by
    step instruction on how to accomplish it.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: File aharing in eCs

    Phil M wrote:
    > Hi all. I installed eComstation 1.2 and would like to access the
    > shared folders my XP and windows 2000 boxes over my local Lan. The
    > network card works on the eCs machine as I'm able to browse the
    > Internet without any problem.
    >
    > I used the default full installation of eCs. The shared folders on
    > the other 2 Microsoft machines are correct as I'm able to access the
    > win2k from the XP and vise versa.
    >
    > Is there any guide as what I have to do, step by step, to allow eCs to
    > see shared folders of other machines on the LAN?
    >
    > I clicked on Local Network > Lan Logon. and it came with an error
    > message that the network is not available! But perhaps I'm clicking
    > on the wrong icon. What is the "My network places" OS/2 equivalent?
    >
    > I'm totally new to eCs and OS/2, therefore, I would require a step by
    > step instruction on how to accomplish it.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Try this first, it's very simple ;-)!
    http://www.baywarp.org/features/mixednet.pdf

  3. Re: File aharing in eCs

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 21:36:18 -0400, Phil M wrote:
    > Hi all. I installed eComstation 1.2 and would like to access the
    > shared folders my XP and windows 2000 boxes over my local Lan. The
    > network card works on the eCs machine as I'm able to browse the
    > Internet without any problem.
    >
    > I used the default full installation of eCs. The shared folders on
    > the other 2 Microsoft machines are correct as I'm able to access the
    > win2k from the XP and vise versa.
    >
    > Is there any guide as what I have to do, step by step, to allow eCs to
    > see shared folders of other machines on the LAN?
    >
    > I clicked on Local Network > Lan Logon. and it came with an error
    > message that the network is not available! But perhaps I'm clicking
    > on the wrong icon. What is the "My network places" OS/2 equivalent?

    First of all, you need to make sure the "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" protocol is
    installed (it should be, if you used the default eCS installation)*.
    You can check this by opening "Local System" -> "System Setup" ->
    "Network" -> "Adapters and Protocols". Choose "Configure MPTS", then
    select "LAN Adapters and Protocols" and click "Configure". Make sure the
    bottom-most window shows "IBM OS/2 NETBIOS over TCP/IP" under your network
    adapter. If everything looks OK, choose "Cancel", "Cancel", "Close".

    Next, check the LAPS logfile for error messages. The file is
    \IBMCOM\LANTRAN.LOG; you might want to post the contents here.

    Next, make sure the workstation service (called the "Requester") is
    started. From a command prompt, enter "NET START REQ" and see what it
    says. (It may say the requester is already running, in which case it
    should be OK.)

    Now try logging on using the "LAN Login (Workstation)" object. This is
    the correct logon type for peer-to-peer LANs. (Do not use the "(Domain)"
    logon icon, which is for server-based LAN Domains which are common in
    corporate networks, but that you are quite unlikely to have.)

    If the logon was successful, go to a command line and try running "NET
    VIEW". If everything is OK, you should see the name(s) of your Windows
    box(es). In that case, try "NET VIEW \\foo" where "foo" is the name of
    your Windows box.

    If all of the above works, you can go into the "Sharing and Connecting"
    object in the "Local Network" folder, and use the GUI to set up persistent
    connections to various resources on the Windows box(es).

    If it doesn't work, report back here with a description of what step
    didn't work, and we can try and work it out from there.

    * (Before somebody interjects - yes, I know it's possible to do with plain
    NetBIOS, but that's more effort, and I'm concentrating on simple and
    straightforward instructions.)

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  4. Re: File aharing in eCs

    First you need to make sure that your workgroup name is the same on all
    machines. In the English versions of XP, and 2000 it is by default
    "workgroup". When installing eCS you need to make sure that you used this
    name when defining the network. In the post instalation you can set your
    user name and login which must be known on the XP/2000 system, i.e. the same
    name you use to login in on those systems anbd the same password.
    You should also use the icon "LAN Logon (workgroup)" in the local network
    folder.

    Make sure that you have selected

    "Automatically start nertwork services on bootup",
    "Allow your computer to be seen by others in the network",
    "Allow sharing of resources in a peer network"

    in the post installation under the TAB Network userID.

    Post installation can be accessed by going to

    Local system-> Install/Remove->Post-installation tasks

    There is more informatin in the eCS 1.2 manual (p 26+) concerning networking
    and connecting to Windows machines

    Hope this helps

    Keith

    When running the post installation
    "Phil M" wrote in message
    newsa39735blrmaeqleb4aslri824dv9jl379@4ax.com...
    > Hi all. I installed eComstation 1.2 and would like to access the
    > shared folders my XP and windows 2000 boxes over my local Lan. The
    > network card works on the eCs machine as I'm able to browse the
    > Internet without any problem.
    >
    > I used the default full installation of eCs. The shared folders on
    > the other 2 Microsoft machines are correct as I'm able to access the
    > win2k from the XP and vise versa.
    >
    > Is there any guide as what I have to do, step by step, to allow eCs to
    > see shared folders of other machines on the LAN?
    >
    > I clicked on Local Network > Lan Logon. and it came with an error
    > message that the network is not available! But perhaps I'm clicking
    > on the wrong icon. What is the "My network places" OS/2 equivalent?
    >
    > I'm totally new to eCs and OS/2, therefore, I would require a step by
    > step instruction on how to accomplish it.
    >
    > Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread