Uninstalling a soundcard - OS2

This is a discussion on Uninstalling a soundcard - OS2 ; I have decided to remove the SBLive soundcard, use instead the onboard soundcard of the Intel D915GAV motherboard. The onboard card is not supported in OS/2, so I'll be hearing sound only in Linux, where it is supported. I've removed ...

  1. Uninstalling a soundcard

    I have decided to remove the SBLive soundcard, use instead the onboard
    soundcard of the Intel D915GAV motherboard. The onboard card is not
    supported in OS/2, so I'll be hearing sound only in Linux, where it is
    supported.

    I've removed the two UNIAUD drivers from CONFIG.SYS; that file now
    contains no mention of SBLIVE. But during the boot process several
    lines about SBLive still appear, including one that complains that
    such a card can't be found.

    Where do I have to remove mention of SBLive in order to banish this
    phantom?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  2. Re: Uninstalling a soundcard

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > I have decided to remove the SBLive soundcard, use instead the onboard
    > soundcard of the Intel D915GAV motherboard. The onboard card is not
    > supported in OS/2, so I'll be hearing sound only in Linux, where it is
    > supported.
    >
    > I've removed the two UNIAUD drivers from CONFIG.SYS; that file now
    > contains no mention of SBLIVE. But during the boot process several
    > lines about SBLive still appear, including one that complains that
    > such a card can't be found.
    >
    > Where do I have to remove mention of SBLive in order to banish this
    > phantom?

    Maybe the trick is to Uninstall the soundcard rather than butchering the
    config.sys manually :-)

    I suggest a run of Soundcard driver install (minstall) and select a
    value of 0 for the soundcard you wanted to remove ie identical to
    installing the soundcard but by selecting 0 it forces the uninstall and,
    hopefully, cleans up various ini files as well as the config.sys file.

    Regards

    Pete

  3. Re: Uninstalling a soundcard

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 13:02:57 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:
    > Hi Stan
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > I have decided to remove the SBLive soundcard, use instead the onboard
    > > soundcard of the Intel D915GAV motherboard. The onboard card is not
    > > supported in OS/2, so I'll be hearing sound only in Linux, where it is
    > > supported.
    > >
    > > I've removed the two UNIAUD drivers from CONFIG.SYS; that file now
    > > contains no mention of SBLIVE. But during the boot process several
    > > lines about SBLive still appear, including one that complains that
    > > such a card can't be found.
    > >
    > > Where do I have to remove mention of SBLive in order to banish this
    > > phantom?
    > >

    > Maybe the trick is to Uninstall the soundcard rather than butchering the
    > config.sys manually :-)
    >

    > I suggest a run of Soundcard driver install (minstall) and select a
    > value of 0 for the soundcard you wanted to remove ie identical to
    > installing the soundcard but by selecting 0 it forces the uninstall and,
    > hopefully, cleans up various ini files as well as the config.sys file.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Pete

    That does ring a bell -- it's been a long time. And that does have an
    effect: the two lines prefixed with "rem" now start with "REM rem".
    Thanks.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on