LCD Monitors - OS2

This is a discussion on LCD Monitors - OS2 ; I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find any in the LCD type. What should I look for in an LCD monitor? What ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

  1. LCD Monitors

    I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    any in the LCD type.

    What should I look for in an LCD monitor?

    What are the potiential problems?

    Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.

    OS/2 4.52, Scitech Snap 3.07 Professional

    Paul
    --

  2. Re: LCD Monitors

    Sir:

    PaulRS wrote:
    > I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    > Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    > any in the LCD type.
    >
    > What should I look for in an LCD monitor?
    >
    > What are the potiential problems?
    >
    > Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.
    >
    > OS/2 4.52, Scitech Snap 3.07 Professional

    I am using a Samsung SyncMaster 940sw. It auto synchronizes with what
    ever signal that arrives from the card, resizing where need be. I
    picked a resolution that was the closes to the LCD panel and set the
    refresh rate as low as it could go with my old S3 video card. I
    understand that one can create a custom resolution, but I not done so.
    So I do have some pixaliation of bitmap images as they are resized.
    Other than that, the image is sharp and bright. It took all of a day to
    get use to the flat screen (it looked curved). It cost about $200 last
    Christmas from Fry's.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: LCD Monitors

    PaulRS wrote:
    > I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    > Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    > any in the LCD type.
    >
    > What should I look for in an LCD monitor?
    >
    > What are the potiential problems?
    >
    > Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.
    >
    > OS/2 4.52, Scitech Snap 3.07 Professional
    >
    > Paul

    I have a Dell LCD monitor, E193FP (this is a 19" monitor, and not a wide
    screen unit), with an ATI Radeon 300 Series card, running at 1280 x
    1024. SciTech sure knew about that combo, nearly 2.5 years ago.

    If you look at:
    http://www.scitechsoft.com/chiplist/..._chiplist.html

    I think you will see that there are a lot of chipsets supported under
    OS/2. This is the big deal, because if the chipset is supported by
    SciTech, and the chipset can drive the monitor (nearly a certainty if
    you bought an off the shelf PC), you should be in business.

  4. Re: LCD Monitors

    hi,
    I am running a Gateway FPD2275W at 1680x1050 with sciteck drivers.
    everything looks great.

    Ken

    PaulRS wrote:
    > I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    > Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    > any in the LCD type.
    >
    > What should I look for in an LCD monitor?
    >
    > What are the potiential problems?
    >
    > Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.
    >
    > OS/2 4.52, Scitech Snap 3.07 Professional
    >
    > Paul

  5. Re: LCD Monitors

    PaulRS wrote:
    > I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    > Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    > any in the LCD type.

    SNAP pretty much adheres to whatever the video adapter's VESA BIOS tells
    it. For instance, if it says its digital port cannot do 1600x1200, you are
    SOL, even if the adapter can indeed provide that resolution for that port.
    You'll have to look at the detailed specs for the video adapter to find
    out what SNAP can provide.

    > What should I look for in an LCD monitor?

    - Contrast ratio: at least 600:1, preferably more.
    - Response time: at least 10mSec
    - A refresh rate of 60 Hz is typical. A faster refresh would only matter
    for fast moving videos or games.

    > What are the potiential problems?

    To get the best results you must use the monitor's native resolution. If
    it is 1280x1024, use that. Any other choice looks lousy.

    > Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.

    We have Viewsonic vp2030 (20", 1600x1200) monitors here. They are
    excellent. They auto adjust perfectly. It is true plug-n-play.
    The only downside is that we have to use the analog port to get the
    optimum resolution since that was not available on the digital port. ATI
    Radeon 9550.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  6. Re: LCD Monitors

    The only potential problem that has not yet been mentioned is that if the
    LCD monitor ONLY SUPPORTS 60Hz you will have problems when installing eCS -
    at least with version 1.2 and the current beta.

    The problem is that when the installation switches to the GUI the default
    resolution used is higher than 60Hz which
    means you will see nothing and cannot finish the installation. It is
    possible - by temporarily using another monitor - to finish the installation
    and then in the moniotor properties set the refresh rate to 60Hz.

    Keith

    "PaulRS" wrote in message
    > I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    > Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    > any in the LCD type.
    >
    > What should I look for in an LCD monitor?
    >
    > What are the potiential problems?
    >
    > Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.
    >
    > OS/2 4.52, Scitech Snap 3.07 Professional
    >
    > Paul
    > --

  7. Re: LCD Monitors

    On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:13:50 UTC, "Keith Merrington"
    opined:
    > The only potential problem that has not yet been mentioned is that if the
    > LCD monitor ONLY SUPPORTS 60Hz you will have problems when installing eCS -
    > at least with version 1.2 and the current beta.
    >
    > The problem is that when the installation switches to the GUI the default
    > resolution used is higher than 60Hz which
    > means you will see nothing and cannot finish the installation. It is
    > possible - by temporarily using another monitor - to finish the installation
    > and then in the moniotor properties set the refresh rate to 60Hz.
    >
    > Keith

    I wonder if that is related to a problem I encountered when I tried to
    install eCS v1.2.

    My monitor is LG1750SQ. The installation proceeded normally until the
    end, and presented me with a 640X480 screen. In the Screen object, the
    monitor was correctly identified, and other resolutions and refresh
    rates were listed, but no attempt to choose any other combination was
    successful.

    eCS v1.1 has never had a similar problem (1280x1024x16M with 70Hz
    refresh). But v1.2 also refused to accept my mouse, a PS/2 Kensington
    trackball (not exotic, and well established in the market) using only
    the default mouse driver. My impression was that v1.2 is programmed to
    be just too finicky and restrictive. I am still using v1.1, installed
    on the same hardware.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  8. Re: LCD Monitors

    Hi Paul

    PaulRS wrote:
    > I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    > Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    > any in the LCD type.
    >
    > What should I look for in an LCD monitor?
    >
    > What are the potiential problems?
    >
    > Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.
    >
    > OS/2 4.52, Scitech Snap 3.07 Professional
    >
    > Paul

    I could not resist a nice looking Dell FP1707 LCD being sold at under
    half price on ebay a few months ago. A few weeks later I even got a
    matching Soundbar (speaker bar that clips under the monitor) for it at a
    good price. All brand new and still packaged :-)

    The monitor works at 1280x1024 @ 60Hz in Digital input mode - have not
    tried Analogue input to date.

    SNAP(318 build 505) recognised the monitor, through the DVI connection,
    on bootup and it works fine.

    Regards

    Pete

  9. Re: LCD Monitors

    Sir:

    Jim Moe wrote:

    > - Contrast ratio: at least 600:1, preferably more.
    > - Response time: at least 10mSec
    > - A refresh rate of 60 Hz is typical. A faster refresh would only matter
    > for fast moving videos or games.

    I'd agree with the first two recommendations, but the third is not
    needed if using digital and unnecessary to be greater than 60 Hz if
    analog, as your eyes cannot detect faster movement than what 60 Hz can
    display and there is no phosphorous elements to illuminate (and no
    flicker caused by the painting cycle which is used as an excuse to sell
    to you higher vertical rates for tube monitors). BTW, response time and
    vertical refresh rate are two names for the same measurement in LCDs
    (how fast the Liquid Crystal elements can change their filtering
    properties).

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  10. Re: LCD Monitors

    In , on 06/11/07
    at 11:20 AM, "Stan Goodman" said:

    >eCS v1.1 has never had a similar problem (1280x1024x16M with 70Hz
    >refresh). But v1.2 also refused to accept my mouse, a PS/2 Kensington
    >trackball (not exotic, and well established in the market) using only
    >the default mouse driver. My impression was that v1.2 is programmed to be
    >just too finicky and restrictive. I am still using v1.1, installed on
    >the same hardware.

    My 1.2R had no problem with the Expert Mouse. I use the Kensington Expert
    Mouse OS/2 driver, which hasn't been updated since 1996. I asked
    Kensington Tech Support about updating it to support USB, and their answer
    was no. Maybe someone associated with eCS can update the driver.
    Filename is 0S2_422.ZIP, and it isn't on Hobbes (it is on my board, and
    likely can be found elsewhere by a search.)

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  11. Re: LCD Monitors

    William L. Hartzell writes:

    > BTW, response time and
    > vertical refresh rate are two names for the same measurement in LCDs
    > (how fast the Liquid Crystal elements can change their filtering
    > properties).

    Huh? LCDs are designed to work with a vertical refresh of 60 Hz.
    Meanwhile, the response times have been getting lower and lower,
    down to 6 ms in recent panels. Does that imply a vertical refresh
    of over 160 Hz? No.

  12. Re: LCD Monitors

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >> - A refresh rate of 60 Hz is typical. A faster refresh would only matter
    >> for fast moving videos or games.

    > [...] BTW, response time and
    > vertical refresh rate are two names for the same measurement in LCDs
    > (how fast the Liquid Crystal elements can change their filtering
    > properties).

    No, they are not.
    - Response time is how fast an LCD element can change state.
    - Refresh rate is how fast the screen is repainted.

    With CRTs 60 Hz was too slow because of flicker; the phosphor response
    time is quite fast and the light output had time to decay before being
    refreshed. With LCDs it is not a problem because the output is steady
    state, i.e., there is no decay of light output, thus no flicker. It is
    possible to stop a LCD refresh altogether and still see output.
    Up until now 60 Hz has been the limit for LCDs because the response time
    was too slow for anything faster. At 60 Hz a minimum response time of 18.3
    milliseconds is required. Now it is possible, though not generally
    offered, to provide faster refresh rates for LCDs.
    As I mentioned, it's a rare need for anything faster than a 60 Hz
    refresh rate.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  13. Re: LCD Monitors

    Sir:

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell writes:
    >
    >> BTW, response time and
    >> vertical refresh rate are two names for the same measurement in LCDs
    >> (how fast the Liquid Crystal elements can change their filtering
    >> properties).

    > Huh? LCDs are designed to work with a vertical refresh of 60 Hz.
    > Meanwhile, the response times have been getting lower and lower,
    > down to 6 ms in recent panels. Does that imply a vertical refresh
    > of over 160 Hz? No.

    Does not frequency and cycle time have a inverse relationship? Is this
    not a direct analog to refresh time and vertical refresh rate?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  14. Re: LCD Monitors

    On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:18:44 GMT, PaulRS wrote:

    >I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    >Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    >any in the LCD type.
    >
    >What should I look for in an LCD monitor?
    >
    >What are the potiential problems?
    >
    >Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.
    >
    >OS/2 4.52, Scitech Snap 3.07 Professional
    >
    >Paul
    >--

    I am using a Thinkvision (IBM/Lenevo) L201p at 1600x1200 (Native resolution)
    on a kvm switch. Three machines share well, 1 Linux RH-EL4, 1 OS/2 4.52,
    and 1 OS/2 4.00 +fp?. The newest display adapter on the OS/2 4.52 machine is
    a Gforce fx5500 (analog through the kva) using the Scitech Pro (registered)
    display driver. The display is a little pricy but I like it. The monitor
    does have a digital input but that would circumvent my kva switch so I am not
    using it yet.

    Regards,
    Bart

  15. Re: LCD Monitors

    In , "PaulRS" writes:
    >I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    >Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    >any in the LCD type.
    >
    >What should I look for in an LCD monitor?
    >
    >What are the potiential problems?
    >
    >Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.
    >
    >OS/2 4.52, Scitech Snap 3.07 Professional

    I use a HP f2105 (21 inch) with your system .

    I used the Scitech provided utility to create a custom 16:9 resolution and it
    looks good. The wide screen is excellent for reading PDF files.

    My original purchase suffered infant mortality, and after a year there are a few
    faulty pixels which don't bother me.

  16. Re: LCD Monitors

    William L. Hartzell writes:

    >>> BTW, response time and
    >>> vertical refresh rate are two names for the same measurement in LCDs
    >>> (how fast the Liquid Crystal elements can change their filtering
    >>> properties).

    >> Huh? LCDs are designed to work with a vertical refresh of 60 Hz.
    >> Meanwhile, the response times have been getting lower and lower,
    >> down to 6 ms in recent panels. Does that imply a vertical refresh
    >> of over 160 Hz? No.

    > Does not frequency and cycle time have a inverse relationship?

    The frequency and the time between successive repaintings of the
    screen do, in fact, have an inverse relationship. A refresh rate
    of 60 Hz means that the screen gets repainted every 16.7 milliseconds.
    But that's not the same as the response time of the panel.

    > Is this
    > not a direct analog to refresh time and vertical refresh rate?

    Refresh time and response time are not the same thing. Suppose you
    can flip a light switch off and on ten times a second. The refresh
    rate would be 10 Hz, and the refresh time would be a tenth of a
    second. But suppose the light bulb generates light almost
    instantaneously after the electricity is turned on. The response
    time of the bulb might be measured in microseconds. Quite different
    from the refresh time.

  17. Re: LCD Monitors

    PaulRS wrote:
    > I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    > Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    > any in the LCD type.
    >
    > What should I look for in an LCD monitor?
    >
    > What are the potiential problems?
    >
    > Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.
    >
    > OS/2 4.52, Scitech Snap 3.07 Professional
    >
    > Paul

    I use a HP VS17 LCD on a KVM switch for 3 computers. Available at some
    WalMart's. Got mine at Staples. Works fine with ECS 2.0 beta, Linux and
    Windows XP games etc.

  18. Re: LCD Monitors

    On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 19:10:01 UTC, JBilbro wrote:

    > PaulRS wrote:
    > > I am thinking of moving to an LCD monitor. I have the Scitech Snap
    > > Graphics software. I have searched the monitors list and can't find
    > > any in the LCD type.
    > >
    > > What should I look for in an LCD monitor?
    > >
    > > What are the potiential problems?
    > >
    > > Any recommendations of LCD monitors being used that work fine.
    > >
    > > OS/2 4.52, Scitech Snap 3.07 Professional
    > >
    > > Paul

    > I use a HP VS17 LCD on a KVM switch for 3 computers. Available at some
    > WalMart's. Got mine at Staples. Works fine with ECS 2.0 beta, Linux and
    > Windows XP games etc.

    Thanks to all who gave me input on this as I knew very little about
    LCD's outside of notebook displays. I determined that with the
    Scitech Drivers - many brands are working fine for you Warpers. I did
    what the above responder - WalMart! I picked up an entry level
    HP-vp17 (17 inch - it fits well in my bookcase desk) and fine that it
    works wonderfully with my 3 computers on a KVM (vga) switch (OS/2,
    SuSE Linus 9.3, & Win2000). The Monitor also came with DVI and cables
    for both input types. I could use DVI with my dual output card, but I
    want to sweitch between the three computers. It also works well ith
    my real VNC setup to put all computers in windows on the OS/2 desktop
    - I just reduce resolutions on the Linux & Win2000 boxes so the
    windows are smaller. I am VERY SATISIFIED with my purchase and thank
    all who responded.
    Paul
    --

  19. Re: LCD Monitors

    Sir:

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:

    >>> Huh? LCDs are designed to work with a vertical refresh of 60 Hz.
    >>> Meanwhile, the response times have been getting lower and lower,
    >>> down to 6 ms in recent panels. Does that imply a vertical refresh
    >>> of over 160 Hz? No.

    >> Does not frequency and cycle time have a inverse relationship?

    > The frequency and the time between successive repaintings of the
    > screen do, in fact, have an inverse relationship. A refresh rate
    > of 60 Hz means that the screen gets repainted every 16.7 milliseconds.
    > But that's not the same as the response time of the panel.
    >
    >> Is this
    >> not a direct analog to refresh time and vertical refresh rate?

    > Refresh time and response time are not the same thing. Suppose you
    > can flip a light switch off and on ten times a second. The refresh
    > rate would be 10 Hz, and the refresh time would be a tenth of a
    > second. But suppose the light bulb generates light almost
    > instantaneously after the electricity is turned on. The response
    > time of the bulb might be measured in microseconds. Quite different
    > from the refresh time.

    Since the human eye cannot see events that happen faster than about 20
    ms, then you are saying that response time greater than 20 ms in LCD are
    just a marketing ploy to get us to purchase more expensive panels?
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  20. Re: LCD Monitors

    William L. Hartzell writes:

    >>> Does not frequency and cycle time have a inverse relationship?

    >> The frequency and the time between successive repaintings of the
    >> screen do, in fact, have an inverse relationship. A refresh rate
    >> of 60 Hz means that the screen gets repainted every 16.7 milliseconds.
    >> But that's not the same as the response time of the panel.

    >>> Is this
    >>> not a direct analog to refresh time and vertical refresh rate?

    >> Refresh time and response time are not the same thing. Suppose you
    >> can flip a light switch off and on ten times a second. The refresh
    >> rate would be 10 Hz, and the refresh time would be a tenth of a
    >> second. But suppose the light bulb generates light almost
    >> instantaneously after the electricity is turned on. The response
    >> time of the bulb might be measured in microseconds. Quite different
    >> from the refresh time.

    > Since the human eye cannot see events that happen faster than about 20
    > ms, then you are saying that response time greater than 20 ms in LCD are
    > just a marketing ploy to get us to purchase more expensive panels?

    Are you suggesting that if a laser was pulsed for 19 ms, the human eye
    would not be able to see the pulse at all?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast