LCD Monitors - OS2

This is a discussion on LCD Monitors - OS2 ; Sir: tholen@antispam.ham wrote: > William L. Hartzell writes: > >>>>>> BTW, response time and >>>>>> vertical refresh rate are two names for the same measurement in LCDs >>>>>> (how fast the Liquid Crystal elements can change their filtering >>>>>> properties). ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

  1. Re: LCD Monitors

    Sir:

    tholen@antispam.ham wrote:

    >>> The frequency and the time between successive repaintings of the
    >>> screen do, in fact, have an inverse relationship. A refresh rate
    >>> of 60 Hz means that the screen gets repainted every 16.7 milliseconds.
    >>> But that's not the same as the response time of the panel.

    >>> Refresh time and response time are not the same thing. Suppose you
    >>> can flip a light switch off and on ten times a second. The refresh
    >>> rate would be 10 Hz, and the refresh time would be a tenth of a
    >>> second. But suppose the light bulb generates light almost
    >>> instantaneously after the electricity is turned on. The response
    >>> time of the bulb might be measured in microseconds. Quite different
    >>> from the refresh time.

    >> Since the human eye cannot see events that happen faster than about 20
    >> ms, then you are saying that response time greater than 20 ms in LCD are
    >> just a marketing ploy to get us to purchase more expensive panels?

    > Are you suggesting that if a laser was pulsed for 19 ms, the human eye
    > would not be able to see the pulse at all?

    Unless if the laser destroyed or damaged the eye, then it should ignore
    the pulse (assumes that the pulse is in the frequency range -bandpass-
    that can pass into the eye). You are getting into the realm of
    subliminal stuff with data that close to the threshold.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  2. Re: LCD Monitors

    William L. Hartzell writes:

    >>> Since the human eye cannot see events that happen faster than about 20
    >>> ms, then you are saying that response time greater than 20 ms in LCD are
    >>> just a marketing ploy to get us to purchase more expensive panels?

    >> Are you suggesting that if a laser was pulsed for 19 ms, the human eye
    >> would not be able to see the pulse at all?

    > Unless if the laser destroyed or damaged the eye, then it should ignore
    > the pulse (assumes that the pulse is in the frequency range -bandpass-
    > that can pass into the eye). You are getting into the realm of
    > subliminal stuff with data that close to the threshold.

    But the human does see the subliminal message. That's why it has an
    effect. If it had no effect, there would be no reason to use them.

  3. Re: LCD Monitors

    I'm looking to finally get an LCD monitor (recommendations welcomed - a
    friend has suggested Viewsonic 19 inch.) CRT uses too much electricity.
    My question - can a Matrox G450 and Snap driver handle the 1280x1024?

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  4. Re: LCD Monitors

    Alan writes:

    > I'm looking to finally get an LCD monitor (recommendations welcomed - a
    > friend has suggested Viewsonic 19 inch.)

    I'm using a Samsung 20 inch with 1600x1200 native resolution. A
    discontinued model that I got as a closeout for a lot less than
    current models of the same size and resolution.

    > CRT uses too much electricity.

    Not necessarily. There are some LCD panels that are rather power
    hungry. Compare the specifications if you're interested in saving
    power.

    > My question - can a Matrox G450 and Snap driver handle the 1280x1024?

    Yes. I was running 1280x1024 on the G450 prior to upgrading to
    1600x1200. I've got the 32 MB G450, but I'm also running a dual
    monitor configuration.

  5. Re: LCD Monitors

    In article <4675a1b7$2$nynaurff$mr2ice@newsgroups.comcast.net>
    nobody@junk.min.net writes:

    > My question - can a Matrox G450 and Snap driver handle the
    > 1280x1024?

    On a 4:3 screen, it offers me 1280x960, so am guessing a 16:9
    would offer 1280x1024. That's on a 15PX-TA "brand-X" LCD and
    a G450 card, running SNAP Build 446 from 2004 under eCS-1.2.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  6. Re: LCD Monitors

    In <4675a5d9$0$16546$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>, on 06/17/07
    at 09:21 PM, tholen@antispam.ham said:

    >I'm using a Samsung 20 inch with 1600x1200 native resolution. A
    >discontinued model that I got as a closeout for a lot less than current
    >models of the same size and resolution.

    That's always good.

    >> CRT uses too much electricity.

    >Not necessarily. There are some LCD panels that are rather power hungry.
    >Compare the specifications if you're interested in saving power.

    I'll check. I turn off my CRT (Samsung SyncMaster 750s) at night. I want
    to set up APM in ecS as well - I've never used it before.

    >> My question - can a Matrox G450 and Snap driver handle the 1280x1024?

    >Yes. I was running 1280x1024 on the G450 prior to upgrading to
    >1600x1200. I've got the 32 MB G450, but I'm also running a dual monitor
    >configuration.

    I have the same card, but only run one monitor. For me, that's plenty.
    :-)

    Thank you,