Backup partition on DVD disk - OS2

This is a discussion on Backup partition on DVD disk - OS2 ; The boot partition of my eCS v1.1 contains about 1GB of files; Applications are on a partition of which about 1.5GB are occupied. I want to back these up on DVD disks. Especially with the applications partition, I want to ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

  1. Backup partition on DVD disk

    The boot partition of my eCS v1.1 contains about 1GB of files;
    Applications are on a partition of which about 1.5GB are occupied. I
    want to back these up on DVD disks. Especially with the applications
    partition, I want to be able in the future to access files
    individually.

    As I understand it, simply burning the disks with the partitions as
    they are would lose the EAs, so I tried to make ZIP archives. This
    failed with an error message complaining of insufficient resources. I
    am not sure what resources are exhausted: BUFFERS is set to 90; the
    system has 2GB of RAM; no other applications were running when I tried
    to ZIP.

    What is the way out of this trap?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  2. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 21:04:20 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > As I understand it, simply burning the disks with the partitions as
    > they are would lose the EAs

    You could always make EA copies using EAUTIL, although quite tedious
    without a small REXX script.

    > so I tried to make ZIP archives. This
    > failed with an error message complaining of insufficient resources.

    This happened to me with a particular version of ZIP; make sure you have
    an up to date one (mine is 2.31, which works even if it isn't the
    latest!

    > I am not sure what resources are exhausted: BUFFERS is set to 90;

    Pretty irrelevant.

    > the
    > system has 2GB of RAM; no other applications were running when I tried
    > to ZIP.

    It's an internal ZIP problem, I think.

    --
    Bob Eager

  3. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > The boot partition of my eCS v1.1 contains about 1GB of files;
    > Applications are on a partition of which about 1.5GB are occupied. I
    > want to back these up on DVD disks. Especially with the applications
    > partition, I want to be able in the future to access files
    > individually.
    >
    > As I understand it, simply burning the disks with the partitions as
    > they are would lose the EAs, so I tried to make ZIP archives. This
    > failed with an error message complaining of insufficient resources. I
    > am not sure what resources are exhausted: BUFFERS is set to 90; the
    > system has 2GB of RAM; no other applications were running when I tried
    > to ZIP.
    >
    > What is the way out of this trap?

    Just coming at this from a slightly different angle: You could UDF
    format a DVD+/-RW/RAM (rewriteable) disc and use xcopy to simply copy
    all files required.

    You may need to be booted from CD or floppy though to avoid any locked
    file problems.

    Regards

    Pete

  4. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:04:20 -0400, Stan Goodman wrote
    (in article ):

    > As I understand it, simply burning the disks with the partitions as they are
    > would lose the EAs, so I tried to make ZIP archives. This failed with an
    > error message complaining of insufficient resources.

    ZIP needs work space on the source drive to construct the compacted file.
    Are you sure you have enough work space?

    --
    John Varela
    Trade NEW lamps for OLD for email.

  5. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:03:56 UTC, John Varela
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:04:20 -0400, Stan Goodman wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    > > As I understand it, simply burning the disks with the partitions as they are
    > > would lose the EAs, so I tried to make ZIP archives. This failed with an
    > > error message complaining of insufficient resources.

    > ZIP needs work space on the source drive to construct the compacted file.

    Or on some other drive, using the -b option.

    --
    Bob Eager

  6. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 22:39:21 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:
    > Hi Stan
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > The boot partition of my eCS v1.1 contains about 1GB of files;
    > > Applications are on a partition of which about 1.5GB are occupied. I
    > > want to back these up on DVD disks. Especially with the applications
    > > partition, I want to be able in the future to access files
    > > individually.
    > >
    > > As I understand it, simply burning the disks with the partitions as
    > > they are would lose the EAs, so I tried to make ZIP archives. This
    > > failed with an error message complaining of insufficient resources. I
    > > am not sure what resources are exhausted: BUFFERS is set to 90; the
    > > system has 2GB of RAM; no other applications were running when I tried
    > > to ZIP.
    > >
    > > What is the way out of this trap?
    > >

    > Just coming at this from a slightly different angle: You could UDF
    > format a DVD+/-RW/RAM (rewriteable) disc and use xcopy to simply copy
    > all files required.

    I need to find out how to do that.

    > You may need to be booted from CD or floppy though to avoid any locked
    > file problems.

    I'm doing this from a maintenance partition.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  7. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:03:56 UTC, John Varela
    opined:
    > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:04:20 -0400, Stan Goodman wrote
    > (in article ):
    >
    > > As I understand it, simply burning the disks with the partitions as they are
    > > would lose the EAs, so I tried to make ZIP archives. This failed with an
    > > error message complaining of insufficient resources.

    > ZIP needs work space on the source drive to construct the compacted file.
    > Are you sure you have enough work space?

    I've seen that it must need some scratch space, because it seems to be
    cogitating before it actually starts doing its thing. Probably it
    would want something of the same order of size as the files it has to
    archive, and it hasn't got that much. I think what I need to try first
    is to make a really large partition for it to work in. That may well
    be the whole problem.

    Thanks to all for the help...

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  8. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:24:33 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    opined:
    > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:03:56 UTC, John Varela
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:04:20 -0400, Stan Goodman wrote
    > > (in article ):
    > >
    > > > As I understand it, simply burning the disks with the partitions as they are
    > > > would lose the EAs, so I tried to make ZIP archives. This failed with an
    > > > error message complaining of insufficient resources.

    > > ZIP needs work space on the source drive to construct the compacted file.

    > Or on some other drive, using the -b option.

    Maybe you could expand on that a bit. What the "?" screen says is "-b
    path", which is not of much help. I am calling explicit paths to both
    the partition to be archived and to the new ZIP file, but one does't
    need an option to do that; what path does "-b" specify?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  9. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 07:18:50 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:24:33 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    > opined:
    > > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:03:56 UTC, John Varela
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:04:20 -0400, Stan Goodman wrote
    > > > (in article ):

    > > > ZIP needs work space on the source drive to construct the compacted file.

    > > Or on some other drive, using the -b option.

    > Maybe you could expand on that a bit. What the "?" screen says is "-b
    > path", which is not of much help. I am calling explicit paths to both
    > the partition to be archived and to the new ZIP file, but one does't
    > need an option to do that; what path does "-b" specify?

    The temporary workfile directory. ZIP builds a new zipfile in a
    temporary file, then moves it over the old one when complete. With -b,
    one specifies a path where the temporary file can be stored, which can
    be on a different disk. If there is enough space on the disk, it won't
    matter.

    This is all in the documentation, which says rather more than the help
    screen.

    In your case, I think it's more likely that you need a newer version of
    ZIP.

    --
    Bob Eager

  10. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 07:58:01 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    opined:
    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 07:18:50 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:24:33 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    > > opined:

    > > > Or on some other drive, using the -b option.

    > > Maybe you could expand on that a bit. What the "?" screen says is "-b
    > > path", which is not of much help. I am calling explicit paths to both
    > > the partition to be archived and to the new ZIP file, but one does't
    > > need an option to do that; what path does "-b" specify?

    > The temporary workfile directory. ZIP builds a new zipfile in a
    > temporary file, then moves it over the old one when complete. With -b,
    > one specifies a path where the temporary file can be stored, which can
    > be on a different disk. If there is enough space on the disk, it won't
    > matter.
    >
    > This is all in the documentation, which says rather more than the help
    > screen.
    >
    > In your case, I think it's more likely that you need a newer version of
    > ZIP.

    Actually, I am using ZIP v2.32, dtd 19June2006, which is probably as
    new as they come. I think I need to provide more space for the
    temporary file. Given your explanation, it makes a lot of sense.

    Thanks.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  11. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 22:39:21 UTC, Peter Brown
    > opined:
    >> Hi Stan
    >>
    >> Stan Goodman wrote:
    >>> The boot partition of my eCS v1.1 contains about 1GB of files;
    >>> Applications are on a partition of which about 1.5GB are occupied. I
    >>> want to back these up on DVD disks. Especially with the applications
    >>> partition, I want to be able in the future to access files
    >>> individually.
    >>>
    >>> As I understand it, simply burning the disks with the partitions as
    >>> they are would lose the EAs, so I tried to make ZIP archives. This
    >>> failed with an error message complaining of insufficient resources. I
    >>> am not sure what resources are exhausted: BUFFERS is set to 90; the
    >>> system has 2GB of RAM; no other applications were running when I tried
    >>> to ZIP.
    >>>
    >>> What is the way out of this trap?
    >>>

    >> Just coming at this from a slightly different angle: You could UDF
    >> format a DVD+/-RW/RAM (rewriteable) disc and use xcopy to simply copy
    >> all files required.

    > I need to find out how to do that.

    Before starting you may want to check that you have reasonably current
    IBM IDE, Danis IDE and UDF packages installed. You could use eCSMT to
    check and update if necessary.

    Insert ReWriteable disc into burner - you probably know how to do that
    bit :-)

    Presuming it needs formatting:-

    Format [burner_drive_letter]: /fs:udf /L

    After a slight wait you should have a disc that you can treat as a large
    (4Gb) removable floppy.

    The above applies to CDRW as well as DVD+/-RW/RAM.

    To copy the contents of several small drives you may want to create some
    folders using those drive letters eg

    md [burner_drive_letter]:\C

    md [burner_drive_letter]:\D

    Then use xcopy eg

    xcopy C:\* [burner_drive_letter]:\C\ /s /e /v /h /t /r

    Obviously [burner_drive_letter]: represents whatever the burner drive
    letter is on your system.

    >> You may need to be booted from CD or floppy though to avoid any locked
    >> file problems.

    > I'm doing this from a maintenance partition.

    There should not be any problem with locked files then - unless you also
    try to xcopy that partition.

    I usually use a Bootable CD, see
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/bootAble/index.html
    as my "maintenance partition" - saves on usable hard disk space.

    Hope the above is of Help

    Pete

    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Pete

  12. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    In , on 06/03/2007
    at 10:39 PM, Peter Brown said:

    >You may need to be booted from CD or floppy though to avoid any
    >locked file problems.

    Another reason to do clean installs with the old installs kept as
    backup. That way you can use the old install as a recovery system.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  13. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:55:53 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > To copy the contents of several small drives you may want to create some
    > folders using those drive letters eg

    This is especially important if you aim to keep lots of small files on the disk.
    It appears that directory access in UDF on OS/2 is very very slow. Directories
    with more than 100-200 files in them get progressively slower to access.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  14. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:55:53 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:
    > Hi Stan
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 22:39:21 UTC, Peter Brown
    > > opined:
    > >> Hi Stan

    > >> Just coming at this from a slightly different angle: You could UDF
    > >> format a DVD+/-RW/RAM (rewriteable) disc and use xcopy to simply copy
    > >> all files required.

    > > I need to find out how to do that.
    > >

    > Before starting you may want to check that you have reasonably current
    > IBM IDE, Danis IDE and UDF packages installed. You could use eCSMT to
    > check and update if necessary.
    >

    > Insert ReWriteable disc into burner - you probably know how to do that
    > bit :-)

    :-/

    > Presuming it needs formatting:-
    >

    > Format [burner_drive_letter]: /fs:udf /L

    That is the bit I didn't know. Thank you.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  15. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:24:33 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    opined:
    > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:03:56 UTC, John Varela
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:04:20 -0400, Stan Goodman wrote
    > > (in article ):
    > >
    > > > As I understand it, simply burning the disks with the partitions as they are
    > > > would lose the EAs, so I tried to make ZIP archives. This failed with an
    > > > error message complaining of insufficient resources.

    > > ZIP needs work space on the source drive to construct the compacted file.

    > Or on some other drive, using the -b option.

    ZIP appears not to be an option. Now, with a very large partition to
    work with, ZIP causes the CPU to bang the pin and just sit there at
    100%.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  16. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:36:23 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:24:33 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    > opined:
    > > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:03:56 UTC, John Varela
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 17:04:20 -0400, Stan Goodman wrote
    > > > (in article ):

    > > > ZIP needs work space on the source drive to construct the compacted file.

    > > Or on some other drive, using the -b option.

    > ZIP appears not to be an option. Now, with a very large partition to
    > work with, ZIP causes the CPU to bang the pin and just sit there at
    > 100%.

    I just zipped a very large volume....here's the end of an unzip -v ...

    -------- ------- --- -------
    2342771843 1419697447 39% 52108
    files

    So, mine was well in excess of 2GB. I used ZIP 2.31, no special
    CONFIG.SYS settings.

    ZIP does go CPU-bound at first while it builds a file list, although
    that will be proportional to the number of files/directories it has to
    traverse. As you can see, I had over 50000 and it took only a few
    seconds to build the list.

    My command:

    zip -S -r -g -9 f-drive f:\

    The flags are all in the documentation.

    --
    Bob Eager

  17. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:06:24 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    opined:
    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 20:36:23 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:24:33 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    > > opined:

    > > > Or on some other drive, using the -b option.

    > > ZIP appears not to be an option. Now, with a very large partition to
    > > work with, ZIP causes the CPU to bang the pin and just sit there at
    > > 100%.

    > I just zipped a very large volume....here's the end of an unzip -v ...
    >
    > -------- ------- --- -------
    > 2342771843 1419697447 39% 52108
    > files
    >
    > So, mine was well in excess of 2GB. I used ZIP 2.31, no special
    > CONFIG.SYS settings.
    >
    > ZIP does go CPU-bound at first while it builds a file list, although
    > that will be proportional to the number of files/directories it has to
    > traverse. As you can see, I had over 50000 and it took only a few
    > seconds to build the list.
    >
    > My command:
    >
    > zip -S -r -g -9 f-drive f:\
    >
    > The flags are all in the documentation.

    My volume is a bit smaller than that, 1.5GB, with about 24000 files.
    The 100% condition persisted for a half hour before I gave up. I used
    the same options/switches, except the "g", which is unnecessary for a
    new archive.

    The other volume, about 1GB in size, went in pretty much the same way
    as yours, which makes it sound like the first didn't have enough
    space, but the target directory was new, completely empty, and 5GB in
    size. Does it need to be bigger than that?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  18. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:32:20 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > > ZIP does go CPU-bound at first while it builds a file list, although
    > > that will be proportional to the number of files/directories it has to
    > > traverse. As you can see, I had over 50000 and it took only a few
    > > seconds to build the list.
    > >
    > > My command:
    > >
    > > zip -S -r -g -9 f-drive f:\
    > >
    > > The flags are all in the documentation.

    > My volume is a bit smaller than that, 1.5GB, with about 24000 files.
    > The 100% condition persisted for a half hour before I gave up. I used
    > the same options/switches, except the "g", which is unnecessary for a
    > new archive.
    >
    > The other volume, about 1GB in size, went in pretty much the same way
    > as yours, which makes it sound like the first didn't have enough
    > space, but the target directory was new, completely empty, and 5GB in
    > size. Does it need to be bigger than that?

    Shouldn't have thought so. May be worth using '-g' just to avoid
    creation of the temporary file (perhaps).

    --
    Bob Eager

  19. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 17:36:44 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 13:55:53 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, Peter Brown
    > wrote:
    >
    > > To copy the contents of several small drives you may want to create some
    > > folders using those drive letters eg

    > This is especially important if you aim to keep lots of small files on the disk.
    > It appears that directory access in UDF on OS/2 is very very slow. Directories
    > with more than 100-200 files in them get progressively slower to access.

    It also seems, that the directory is written, for every new file that
    is added, which means that the area where the directory is stored,
    wears out very quickly. I find that UDF works fine for very large
    files, such as ZIP files, or other backup type files, where the
    directory only gets written a few tims, but putting a few thousand
    small files onto a UDF CD, or DVD, wlll bring the directory area to
    end of life, long before you expect that. The result is, that you can
    take a new disk, write about 3000 files to it, and then you won't be
    able to read that disk, because the directory area has been written
    enough times to wear it out. YMMV.

    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  20. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:53:18 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    opined:
    > On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:32:20 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > > ZIP does go CPU-bound at first while it builds a file list, although
    > > > that will be proportional to the number of files/directories it has to
    > > > traverse. As you can see, I had over 50000 and it took only a few
    > > > seconds to build the list.
    > > >
    > > > My command:
    > > >
    > > > zip -S -r -g -9 f-drive f:\
    > > >
    > > > The flags are all in the documentation.

    > > My volume is a bit smaller than that, 1.5GB, with about 24000 files.
    > > The 100% condition persisted for a half hour before I gave up. I used
    > > the same options/switches, except the "g", which is unnecessary for a
    > > new archive.
    > >
    > > The other volume, about 1GB in size, went in pretty much the same way
    > > as yours, which makes it sound like the first didn't have enough
    > > space, but the target directory was new, completely empty, and 5GB in
    > > size. Does it need to be bigger than that?

    > Shouldn't have thought so. May be worth using '-g' just to avoid
    > creation of the temporary file (perhaps).

    Apparently we have been barking up the wrong shin with respect to the
    1.5GB partition, which seems to have other complaints.

    This is a JFS partition, like all the others except the boot
    partition. At boot time it claims to be clean. Now I have tried to
    examine its content using the graphic that is part of the SmartBar
    utility (Logical Disks); starts to assemble information for the graph,
    then stalls, and I have to close SmartBar in order to continue.

    I ran CHKDSK /f for this partition, and it tells me that the partition
    is dirty, although marked clean. Other partitions are able to form and
    display the SmartBar graphic showing their content, and do not admit
    to CHKDSK that they are dirty. I assume that all this is connected
    with the inability of ZIP to do its thing for this particular
    partition.

    Is there a tool that can diagnose and repair such problems in a JFS
    partition?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on