Backup partition on DVD disk - OS2

This is a discussion on Backup partition on DVD disk - OS2 ; Sir: Stan Goodman wrote: > The suggestion of replacing the JFS line in config.sys with > "IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+D" didn't produce any joy. > I have found the source of the problem, but haven't solved it. > > There is ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 56 of 56

  1. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    Sir:

    Stan Goodman wrote:

    > The suggestion of replacing the JFS line in config.sys with
    > "IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+D" didn't produce any joy.
    > I have found the source of the problem, but haven't solved it.
    >
    > There is a small directory in the partition that contains an
    > impossible filename consisting of all non-alphanumeric characters --
    > Greek letters, double angle brackets, and such. I have been unable to
    > delete it.
    >
    > I have removed all the legitimate files in this directory to afresh
    > directory, and tried to delete the directory containing only the
    > corrupt file, but that is impossible. It is also impossible to delete
    > the directory from a Linux boot.
    >
    > The only course I have thought of would be to backup the "real"
    > content of the partition, and then to delete the partition. But I
    > wonder if what looks like a bad filename may actually represent
    > physical corruption in the HD surface that may show up at a later
    > date. Is this likely?
    >
    > What's the recommended procedure in this situation?

    David recommendation to copy everything off the drive and reformat the
    drive is the only way to get rid of directories or files that have
    impossible to edit names (due to some previous code page usage or
    whatever). I got one such directory on another system right now, that I
    am ignoring for the moment.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  2. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    Peter Brown wrote:

    > It does not resolve EA problems either... :-(
    >
    > I just had to manually copy 95 image files to find out which 1 was had
    > corrupt EAs causing a problem. Opening the directory caused a system
    > hang when using the Desktop. No problem when accessing the directory
    > from a command line though.

    How does one fix ea for a directory? The directory opens and one get
    the 'No object found' error, even when I knows that there are files
    within it. I used the command line to move (copy-delete) out these
    files and ignore that directory. One can still change the name of the
    directory, so the ordinary attributes are okay.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  3. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 02:11:43 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:
    > Hi Stan
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:15:36 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > > opined:
    > >> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 07:58:01 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    > >> opined:

    > >> Actually, I am using ZIP v2.32, dtd 19June2006, which is probably as
    > >> new as they come. I think I need to provide more space for the
    > >> temporary file. Given your explanation, it makes a lot of sense.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks.

    > > The suggestion of replacing the JFS line in config.sys with
    > > "IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+D" didn't produce any joy.
    > > I have found the source of the problem, but haven't solved it.
    > >

    > It does not resolve EA problems either... :-(
    >
    > I just had to manually copy 95 image files to find out which 1 was had
    > corrupt EAs causing a problem. Opening the directory caused a system
    > hang when using the Desktop. No problem when accessing the directory
    > from a command line though.
    >

    > > There is a small directory in the partition that contains an
    > > impossible filename consisting of all non-alphanumeric characters --
    > > Greek letters, double angle brackets, and such. I have been unable to
    > > delete it.
    > >
    > > I have removed all the legitimate files in this directory to afresh
    > > directory, and tried to delete the directory containing only the
    > > corrupt file, but that is impossible. It is also impossible to delete
    > > the directory from a Linux boot.
    > >
    > > The only course I have thought of would be to backup the "real"
    > > content of the partition, and then to delete the partition. But I
    > > wonder if what looks like a bad filename may actually represent
    > > physical corruption in the HD surface that may show up at a later
    > > date. Is this likely?
    > >
    > > What's the recommended procedure in this situation?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Stan Goodman
    > > Qiryat Tiv'on
    > > Israel
    > >

    > The above looks like a codepage problem. Been using any different
    > codepages recently?

    No. Sometimes years go by without a change in codepage.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  4. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 02:15:08 UTC, "William L. Hartzell"
    opined:
    > Sir:
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    >
    > > The suggestion of replacing the JFS line in config.sys with
    > > "IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+D" didn't produce any joy.
    > > I have found the source of the problem, but haven't solved it.
    > >
    > > There is a small directory in the partition that contains an
    > > impossible filename consisting of all non-alphanumeric characters --
    > > Greek letters, double angle brackets, and such. I have been unable to
    > > delete it.
    > >
    > > I have removed all the legitimate files in this directory to afresh
    > > directory, and tried to delete the directory containing only the
    > > corrupt file, but that is impossible. It is also impossible to delete
    > > the directory from a Linux boot.
    > >
    > > The only course I have thought of would be to backup the "real"
    > > content of the partition, and then to delete the partition. But I
    > > wonder if what looks like a bad filename may actually represent
    > > physical corruption in the HD surface that may show up at a later
    > > date. Is this likely?
    > >
    > > What's the recommended procedure in this situation?
    > >

    > David recommendation to copy everything off the drive and reformat the
    > drive is the only way to get rid of directories or files that have
    > impossible to edit names (due to some previous code page usage or
    > whatever). I got one such directory on another system right now, that I
    > am ignoring for the moment.

    That's essentially what I said in my previous post. In fact, doing
    that for a different reason (I want to rearrange the partitions on the
    HD) is what exposed the problem in the first place. I want to delete
    the partition anyway, after I move the content elsewhere, rather than
    just reformat it. But saving the content as-is is not a solution,
    because the screwed-up file will still be there; I need to save
    everything but the offending file. I'll work with an icon view of the
    partition, so I can select the files and directories in large groups,
    and copy them to a new location.

    The bad file seems to be a crosslink with another partition. I see
    this when I click on the partition in Smartbar (to see the graphical
    representation of what is there and what occupies how much its space.
    To generate the graphic, the utility checks each file, and the
    filenames whiz by in the titlebar. The whizzing stops in the directory
    that contains the bad filename, and what appears is a reference to
    partition E: (the problem partition is D. A crosslink, no? But E:
    seems to be intact: unlike D:, it can be ZIPped and copied, and the
    Smartbar graphic doesn't get stuck.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  5. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    Stan Goodman writes:

    > I want to delete
    > the partition anyway, after I move the content elsewhere, rather than
    > just reformat it. But saving the content as-is is not a solution,
    > because the screwed-up file will still be there; I need to save
    > everything but the offending file. I'll work with an icon view of the
    > partition, so I can select the files and directories in large groups,
    > and copy them to a new location.

    I would probably use the DIR command with output redirected to a file
    to generate a complete list of fully qualified filenames, then use a
    text editor to remove the one offending file from the list, duplicate
    the filenames with the drive letter altered, insert the COPY command
    at the beginning of each lines, and then let 'er rip. Assumes the
    redirected output was put in a file with a .CMD extension so that it
    would be executed as a batch file.

  6. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    I had this problem before. Here are some posted solutions:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....hread/thread/a
    d4e0608764a7e52/5f1bb322be5cd69b%235f1bb322be5cd69b

    Try this first:

    If you find you have an undeletable object, this trick sometimes (but
    not always) works.

    1. Insert a floppy disk in a floppy drive.
    2. Open the Drives object.
    3. Drag the undeletable object to the floppy drive object. Make
    sure that you are moving the object (you can ensure this by holding
    the Shift key while dragging).
    4. Format the floppy disk.

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:48:31 UTC, tholen@antispam.ham wrote:

    > Stan Goodman writes:
    >
    > > I want to delete
    > > the partition anyway, after I move the content elsewhere, rather than
    > > just reformat it. But saving the content as-is is not a solution,
    > > because the screwed-up file will still be there; I need to save
    > > everything but the offending file. I'll work with an icon view of the
    > > partition, so I can select the files and directories in large groups,
    > > and copy them to a new location.

    > I would probably use the DIR command with output redirected to a file
    > to generate a complete list of fully qualified filenames, then use a
    > text editor to remove the one offending file from the list, duplicate
    > the filenames with the drive letter altered, insert the COPY command
    > at the beginning of each lines, and then let 'er rip. Assumes the
    > redirected output was put in a file with a .CMD extension so that it
    > would be executed as a batch file.

    --

  7. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:32:09 UTC, "sXwamp"
    opined:
    > I had this problem before. Here are some posted solutions:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....hread/thread/a
    > d4e0608764a7e52/5f1bb322be5cd69b%235f1bb322be5cd69b
    >
    > Try this first:
    >
    > If you find you have an undeletable object, this trick sometimes (but
    > not always) works.
    >
    > 1. Insert a floppy disk in a floppy drive.
    > 2. Open the Drives object.
    > 3. Drag the undeletable object to the floppy drive object. Make
    > sure that you are moving the object (you can ensure this by holding
    > the Shift key while dragging).
    > 4. Format the floppy disk.

    Thanks much for the thought, but I already know it won't work. I tried
    to drag (_definitely_ Move) the undeletable object from one directory
    to another. The result was a new object in the target location, but
    the same-old-same-old in the source directory. I'll destroy the
    partition at the next full moon; I realize that I may have to impale
    it first on a shaft of holly or shoot a silver bullet through it, and
    I am prepared to hire an exorcist to assist me.

    I'll look at the URL you sent. Thanks.

    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:48:31 UTC, tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    >
    > > Stan Goodman writes:
    > >
    > > > I want to delete
    > > > the partition anyway, after I move the content elsewhere, rather than
    > > > just reformat it. But saving the content as-is is not a solution,
    > > > because the screwed-up file will still be there; I need to save
    > > > everything but the offending file. I'll work with an icon view of the
    > > > partition, so I can select the files and directories in large groups,
    > > > and copy them to a new location.

    > > I would probably use the DIR command with output redirected to a file
    > > to generate a complete list of fully qualified filenames, then use a
    > > text editor to remove the one offending file from the list, duplicate
    > > the filenames with the drive letter altered, insert the COPY command
    > > at the beginning of each lines, and then let 'er rip. Assumes the
    > > redirected output was put in a file with a .CMD extension so that it
    > > would be executed as a batch file.

    I don't know that this is better than the drag-and-drop. It's easy
    enough, with the icon view, to select all the objects from the top
    down to, but not including, the defective object, dragging the
    selected objects to the target, then to repeat the exercise from below
    the bad file down to the bottom. There are no hidden or system files
    in the partition (this is the application partition).

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  8. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 19:14:14 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    > On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 18:58:47 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Bob Eager"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:44:27 UTC, "sXwamp"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > Since you posted the serial numbers, let me repeat my URL for all three
    > > components so that they appear in one archived post:
    > >
    > > http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/oldsoft.html#CDS

    > Are these the latest versions or are there patches for them to go on top. I seem
    > to have found (yet another) blindingly obvious cosmetic bug where it
    > miscalculates the throughput of a backup by a factor of 2 if you enable a
    > compare cycle within a backup. So many versions and they never quite got it
    > right!! Still, at least this one can display backup totals that exceed 4GB which
    > is more than my old 3.10c could do.

    I was keeping a close eye out for patches when this was actually being
    supported, and I never saw any...!

    --
    Bob Eager

  9. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    William L. Hartzell wrote:

    > How does one fix ea for a directory? The directory opens and one get
    > the 'No object found' error, even when I knows that there are files
    > within it. I used the command line to move (copy-delete) out these
    > files and ignore that directory. One can still change the name of the
    > directory, so the ordinary attributes are okay.

    As far as I can tell most directories don't need any EA's and only acquire them
    when they are opened by the workplace shell.

    If the directory x:\y\z seems to have corrupted EA's, you could try

    EAUTIL x:\y\z g:\wherever\z.eas /s

    Now z has no EA's, but they are saved in z.eas so you can put them back if need
    be with

    EAUTIL x:\y\z g:\wherever\z.eas /j

    Once the EA's have been removed opening the directory will recreate them
    automatically and presumably uncorrupted.

    Note that although the description of EAUTIL says that it splits or joins EA's
    only for datafiles, it also works for directories.

    Needless to say, be sure you are backed up before messing around; but I don't
    need to tell you that. YMMV.

  10. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    Sir:

    James J. Weinkam wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>

    >> How does one fix ea for a directory? The directory opens and one get
    >> the 'No object found' error, even when I knows that there are files
    >> within it. I used the command line to move (copy-delete) out these
    >> files and ignore that directory. One can still change the name of the
    >> directory, so the ordinary attributes are okay.

    > As far as I can tell most directories don't need any EA's and only
    > acquire them when they are opened by the workplace shell.
    >
    > If the directory x:\y\z seems to have corrupted EA's, you could try
    >
    > EAUTIL x:\y\z g:\wherever\z.eas /s
    >
    > Now z has no EA's, but they are saved in z.eas so you can put them back
    > if need be with
    >
    > EAUTIL x:\y\z g:\wherever\z.eas /j
    >
    > Once the EA's have been removed opening the directory will recreate them
    > automatically and presumably uncorrupted.
    >
    > Note that although the description of EAUTIL says that it splits or
    > joins EA's only for datafiles, it also works for directories.
    >
    > Needless to say, be sure you are backed up before messing around; but I
    > don't need to tell you that. YMMV.

    Will try this immediately!
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  11. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    Sir:

    James J. Weinkam wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>

    >> How does one fix ea for a directory? The directory opens and one get
    >> the 'No object found' error, even when I knows that there are files
    >> within it. I used the command line to move (copy-delete) out these
    >> files and ignore that directory. One can still change the name of the
    >> directory, so the ordinary attributes are okay.

    > As far as I can tell most directories don't need any EA's and only
    > acquire them when they are opened by the workplace shell.
    >
    > If the directory x:\y\z seems to have corrupted EA's, you could try
    >
    > EAUTIL x:\y\z g:\wherever\z.eas /s
    >
    > Now z has no EA's, but they are saved in z.eas so you can put them back
    > if need be with
    >
    > EAUTIL x:\y\z g:\wherever\z.eas /j
    >
    > Once the EA's have been removed opening the directory will recreate them
    > automatically and presumably uncorrupted.
    >
    > Note that although the description of EAUTIL says that it splits or
    > joins EA's only for datafiles, it also works for directories.
    >
    > Needless to say, be sure you are backed up before messing around; but I
    > don't need to tell you that. YMMV.

    Alas, I get 'the system cannot find the path specified' ...\broken.
    Broken is the bad directory.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  12. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    William L. Hartzell wrote:
    > Sir:
    >
    > James J. Weinkam wrote:
    >> William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >>>

    >>> How does one fix ea for a directory? The directory opens and one get
    >>> the 'No object found' error, even when I knows that there are files
    >>> within it. I used the command line to move (copy-delete) out these
    >>> files and ignore that directory. One can still change the name of
    >>> the directory, so the ordinary attributes are okay.

    >> As far as I can tell most directories don't need any EA's and only
    >> acquire them when they are opened by the workplace shell.
    >>
    >> If the directory x:\y\z seems to have corrupted EA's, you could try
    >>
    >> EAUTIL x:\y\z g:\wherever\z.eas /s
    >>
    >> Now z has no EA's, but they are saved in z.eas so you can put them
    >> back if need be with
    >>
    >> EAUTIL x:\y\z g:\wherever\z.eas /j
    >>
    >> Once the EA's have been removed opening the directory will recreate
    >> them automatically and presumably uncorrupted.
    >>
    >> Note that although the description of EAUTIL says that it splits or
    >> joins EA's only for datafiles, it also works for directories.
    >>
    >> Needless to say, be sure you are backed up before messing around; but
    >> I don't need to tell you that. YMMV.

    > Alas, I get 'the system cannot find the path specified' ...\broken.
    > Broken is the bad directory.

    You could try a non OS/2 backup that loses the EAs. I have fixed
    problems like this by backing up with DOS pkzip, deleting, restoring
    with DOS pkzip.
    Won't work with long file names but some Unix ports could
    Dave

  13. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    In article , Dave Yeo wrote:

    >You could try a non OS/2 backup that loses the EAs.

    I use the OS/2 port of Info-ZIP (Version 2.3).
    It has this option: "-X eXclude eXtra file attributes"
    With it, EAs are not included in the ZIP file.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

  14. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:32:09 UTC, "sXwamp"
    opined:
    > I had this problem before. Here are some posted solutions:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....hread/thread/a
    > d4e0608764a7e52/5f1bb322be5cd69b%235f1bb322be5cd69b
    >
    > Try this first:
    >
    > If you find you have an undeletable object, this trick sometimes (but
    > not always) works.
    >
    > 1. Insert a floppy disk in a floppy drive.
    > 2. Open the Drives object.
    > 3. Drag the undeletable object to the floppy drive object. Make
    > sure that you are moving the object (you can ensure this by holding
    > the Shift key while dragging).
    > 4. Format the floppy disk.
    >

    > On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 07:48:31 UTC, tholen@antispam.ham wrote:
    >
    > > Stan Goodman writes:
    > >
    > > > I want to delete
    > > > the partition anyway, after I move the content elsewhere, rather than
    > > > just reformat it. But saving the content as-is is not a solution,
    > > > because the screwed-up file will still be there; I need to save
    > > > everything but the offending file. I'll work with an icon view of the
    > > > partition, so I can select the files and directories in large groups,
    > > > and copy them to a new location.

    > > I would probably use the DIR command with output redirected to a file
    > > to generate a complete list of fully qualified filenames, then use a
    > > text editor to remove the one offending file from the list, duplicate
    > > the filenames with the drive letter altered, insert the COPY command
    > > at the beginning of each lines, and then let 'er rip. Assumes the
    > > redirected output was put in a file with a .CMD extension so that it
    > > would be executed as a batch file.

    The solutioni to the undeletable file turned out to be the height of
    simplicity. I removed all other files and subdirectories to a new
    directory, leaving the undeletable isolated in its directory; I then
    made that directory Read Only. That made it possible to copy the
    partition to a new directory and then to destroy the original one.

    What is left is to zip the result so I can write it to a CD or DVD,
    depending on the size of the archive. I have had no success in doing
    this. ZIP.EXE (any one of several releases) begins by driving the CPU
    to 100% load, which is normal, but it never recovers from this, even
    given up to a half hour to get its act together. I conclude that I
    need a different backup mechanism for thie partition.

    What's been suggested here is Back Again v4.10, which I have
    downloaded. I've also been told that there is an available
    registration key for it, which has been uploaded somewhere by Nikolai
    Plushenko on 25March05. I have not been able to find it. Attempts on
    Google Groups for "Back Again", the author's name, and the approximate
    date have brought an automated accusation (the first I have ever seen)
    from Google to the effect that I appear to be a malicious hacker.
    =;-/8 A Google search has been even less revealing, but spared me
    the calumny of accusation. If someone can give me a better clue, I'd
    be much obliged.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  15. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:34:53 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > I've also been told that there is an available
    > registration key for it, which has been uploaded somewhere by Nikolai
    > Plushenko on 25March05. I have not been able to find it.

    They were reposted in this very thread by someone going under the name sXwamp.
    09 Jun 18:44.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  16. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:10:34 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    opined:
    > On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:34:53 UTC in comp.os.os2.misc, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I've also been told that there is an available
    > > registration key for it, which has been uploaded somewhere by Nikolai
    > > Plushenko on 25March05. I have not been able to find it.

    > They were reposted in this very thread by someone going under the name sXwamp.
    > 09 Jun 18:44.

    I must have missed it.

    I'm not able to use Google Groups anymore, Even after rebooting, it
    still thinks I am a virus or something, and makes me copy a distorted
    graphic to prove I am not, after which it still won't let me do
    anything.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on