Backup partition on DVD disk - OS2

This is a discussion on Backup partition on DVD disk - OS2 ; Hi Stan Stan Goodman wrote: > On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:53:18 UTC, "Bob Eager" > opined: >> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:32:20 UTC, "Stan Goodman" >> wrote: >> >>>> ZIP does go CPU-bound at first while it builds ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 56

  1. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:53:18 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    > opined:

    >>> My volume is a bit smaller than that, 1.5GB, with about 24000 files.
    >>> The 100% condition persisted for a half hour before I gave up. I used
    >>> the same options/switches, except the "g", which is unnecessary for a
    >>> new archive.
    >>>
    >>> The other volume, about 1GB in size, went in pretty much the same way
    >>> as yours, which makes it sound like the first didn't have enough
    >>> space, but the target directory was new, completely empty, and 5GB in
    >>> size. Does it need to be bigger than that?

    >> Shouldn't have thought so. May be worth using '-g' just to avoid
    >> creation of the temporary file (perhaps).

    > Apparently we have been barking up the wrong shin with respect to the
    > 1.5GB partition, which seems to have other complaints.
    >
    > This is a JFS partition, like all the others except the boot
    > partition. At boot time it claims to be clean. Now I have tried to
    > examine its content using the graphic that is part of the SmartBar
    > utility (Logical Disks); starts to assemble information for the graph,
    > then stalls, and I have to close SmartBar in order to continue.
    >
    > I ran CHKDSK /f for this partition, and it tells me that the partition
    > is dirty, although marked clean. Other partitions are able to form and
    > display the SmartBar graphic showing their content, and do not admit
    > to CHKDSK that they are dirty. I assume that all this is connected
    > with the inability of ZIP to do its thing for this particular
    > partition.
    >
    > Is there a tool that can diagnose and repair such problems in a JFS
    > partition?

    A quick and fairly easy way is to force chkdsk to work.

    A simple edit of config.sys so that you end up with a line like this
    (but relevant to the drive letters you use):-

    IFS=H:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+J+K

    At reboot the +J+K forces chkdsk even if those volumes are marked clean.

    Worked fine for me not that long ago :-)

    Regards

    Pete

  2. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 18:53:06 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:

    -----snip------

    > > Apparently we have been barking up the wrong shin with respect to the
    > > 1.5GB partition, which seems to have other complaints.
    > >
    > > This is a JFS partition, like all the others except the boot
    > > partition. At boot time it claims to be clean. Now I have tried to
    > > examine its content using the graphic that is part of the SmartBar
    > > utility (Logical Disks); starts to assemble information for the graph,
    > > then stalls, and I have to close SmartBar in order to continue.
    > >
    > > I ran CHKDSK /f for this partition, and it tells me that the partition
    > > is dirty, although marked clean. Other partitions are able to form and
    > > display the SmartBar graphic showing their content, and do not admit
    > > to CHKDSK that they are dirty. I assume that all this is connected
    > > with the inability of ZIP to do its thing for this particular
    > > partition.
    > >
    > > Is there a tool that can diagnose and repair such problems in a JFS
    > > partition?
    > >

    > A quick and fairly easy way is to force chkdsk to work.
    >
    > A simple edit of config.sys so that you end up with a line like this
    > (but relevant to the drive letters you use):-
    >
    > IFS=H:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+J+K
    >
    > At reboot the +J+K forces chkdsk even if those volumes are marked clean.
    >
    > Worked fine for me not that long ago :-)

    I already have the line:

    IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:* /CACHE:4096

    which someone apparently advised me to use a while ago. If this is
    valid syntax, shouldn't it do what you say for all the JFS partitions?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  3. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 18:53:06 UTC, Peter Brown
    > opined:
    >> Hi Stan
    >>
    >> Stan Goodman wrote:

    > -----snip------
    >
    >>> Apparently we have been barking up the wrong shin with respect to the
    >>> 1.5GB partition, which seems to have other complaints.
    >>>
    >>> This is a JFS partition, like all the others except the boot
    >>> partition. At boot time it claims to be clean. Now I have tried to
    >>> examine its content using the graphic that is part of the SmartBar
    >>> utility (Logical Disks); starts to assemble information for the graph,
    >>> then stalls, and I have to close SmartBar in order to continue.
    >>>
    >>> I ran CHKDSK /f for this partition, and it tells me that the partition
    >>> is dirty, although marked clean. Other partitions are able to form and
    >>> display the SmartBar graphic showing their content, and do not admit
    >>> to CHKDSK that they are dirty. I assume that all this is connected
    >>> with the inability of ZIP to do its thing for this particular
    >>> partition.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a tool that can diagnose and repair such problems in a JFS
    >>> partition?
    >>>

    >> A quick and fairly easy way is to force chkdsk to work.
    >>
    >> A simple edit of config.sys so that you end up with a line like this
    >> (but relevant to the drive letters you use):-
    >>
    >> IFS=H:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+J+K
    >>
    >> At reboot the +J+K forces chkdsk even if those volumes are marked clean.
    >>
    >> Worked fine for me not that long ago :-)

    > I already have the line:
    >
    > IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:* /CACHE:4096
    >
    > which someone apparently advised me to use a while ago. If this is
    > valid syntax, shouldn't it do what you say for all the JFS partitions?

    That is the standard line which works fine and should be in use all the
    time with this exception:

    If a volume is "dirty" but marked "clean" then no chkdsk occurs using
    the standard line - no need as the volume is reported as "clean".

    Using the +J+K (change for your drive letters) makes chkdsk run
    regardless of whether the volumes are marked "clean" or "dirty" - which
    sounds like what you need.

    My above line is usually REM'd, I un-REM it and REM the standard line
    when chkdsk needs to be run but the volume is marked "clean".

    After the reboot and a successful chkdsk I edit config.sys and reverse
    the REMs again so that the standard line is in use.

    Hope that clarifies it a little :-)

    Pete

  4. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 23:28:26 UTC, Peter Brown
    opined:
    > Hi Stan
    >
    > Stan Goodman wrote:
    > > On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 18:53:06 UTC, Peter Brown
    > > opined:
    > >> Hi Stan
    > >>
    > >> Stan Goodman wrote:

    > > -----snip------

    > >> A quick and fairly easy way is to force chkdsk to work.
    > >>
    > >> A simple edit of config.sys so that you end up with a line like this
    > >> (but relevant to the drive letters you use):-
    > >>
    > >> IFS=H:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+J+K
    > >>
    > >> At reboot the +J+K forces chkdsk even if those volumes are marked clean.
    > >>
    > >> Worked fine for me not that long ago :-)

    > > I already have the line:
    > >
    > > IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:* /CACHE:4096
    > >
    > > which someone apparently advised me to use a while ago. If this is
    > > valid syntax, shouldn't it do what you say for all the JFS partitions?
    > >

    > That is the standard line which works fine and should be in use all the
    > time with this exception:
    >
    > If a volume is "dirty" but marked "clean" then no chkdsk occurs using
    > the standard line - no need as the volume is reported as "clean".
    >

    > Using the +J+K (change for your drive letters) makes chkdsk run
    > regardless of whether the volumes are marked "clean" or "dirty" - which
    > sounds like what you need.
    >
    > My above line is usually REM'd, I un-REM it and REM the standard line
    > when chkdsk needs to be run but the volume is marked "clean".
    >
    > After the reboot and a successful chkdsk I edit config.sys and reverse
    > the REMs again so that the standard line is in use.
    >
    > Hope that clarifies it a little :-)

    It makes it crystal clear. Thank you.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  5. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    I may get flamed for this, but you may want to use Back Again 4.10. I
    use it all the time for my system partion (under 2gig). The serial
    codes are on the net. Just burned the Backup.DAT file to DVD. Plus
    you get compression and verification before you burn it to a DVD.

    If I am way off base, please tell me.

    Greggory Shaw

    --

  6. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 12:28:43 UTC, "sXwamp"
    opined:
    > I may get flamed for this, but you may want to use Back Again 4.10. I
    > use it all the time for my system partion (under 2gig). The serial
    > codes are on the net. Just burned the Backup.DAT file to DVD. Plus
    > you get compression and verification before you burn it to a DVD.
    >
    > If I am way off base, please tell me.
    >
    > Greggory Shaw

    I don't know if you are off-base or not.

    A Google search for Back Again v4.1 produced nothing; I found a demo
    for v4.0 on Hobbes. If I can't find v4.1, I probably can't find a
    serial number for it either.

    My favored solution is to clean up the apparent problem in the
    partition, then zip it and put it on a DVD. "Zip and Burn", as we
    might say.

    In general, ZIP is an adequate backup solution for me.

    Why would the Back Again suggestion get somebody flamed?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  7. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    Hi Greggory

    sXwamp wrote:
    > I may get flamed for this, but you may want to use Back Again 4.10. I
    > use it all the time for my system partion (under 2gig). The serial
    > codes are on the net. Just burned the Backup.DAT file to DVD. Plus
    > you get compression and verification before you burn it to a DVD.
    >
    > If I am way off base, please tell me.
    >
    > Greggory Shaw

    In the days when a partition backup was never going to exceed the 2Gb
    file size limit that then existed BA was great.

    However, things move on and backing up large volumes a bit at a time to
    get around the above file size limit can be a bit tedious.

    I did accidentally discover that BA will happily write a backup file
    larger than 2Gb - shame it could not Restore from that file due to the
    file size. That was the point at which I stopped using BA...

    Regards

    Pete

    > On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 09:40:58 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 23:28:26 UTC, Peter Brown
    >> opined:
    >>> Hi Stan

    >>> That is the standard line which works fine and should be in use all the
    >>> time with this exception:
    >>>
    >>> If a volume is "dirty" but marked "clean" then no chkdsk occurs using
    >>> the standard line - no need as the volume is reported as "clean".
    >>>

    >>> Using the +J+K (change for your drive letters) makes chkdsk run
    >>> regardless of whether the volumes are marked "clean" or "dirty" - which
    >>> sounds like what you need.
    >>>
    >>> My above line is usually REM'd, I un-REM it and REM the standard line
    >>> when chkdsk needs to be run but the volume is marked "clean".
    >>>
    >>> After the reboot and a successful chkdsk I edit config.sys and reverse
    >>> the REMs again so that the standard line is in use.
    >>>
    >>> Hope that clarifies it a little :-)

    >> It makes it crystal clear. Thank you.
    >>
    >>> Pete

  8. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On 06/09/07 09:13 am Stan Goodman wrote:

    > A Google search for Back Again v4.1 produced nothing; I found a demo
    > for v4.0 on Hobbes. If I can't find v4.1, I probably can't find a
    > serial number for it either.
    >
    > My favored solution is to clean up the apparent problem in the
    > partition, then zip it and put it on a DVD. "Zip and Burn", as we
    > might say.
    >
    > In general, ZIP is an adequate backup solution for me.
    >
    > Why would the Back Again suggestion get somebody flamed?

    ftp://os2.fannet.ru/pub/filesos2/apps/ba2ksv410.zip

    Registration keys were posted in a message on the eCS apps ng by Nikolai
    Plushenko on 3/25/2005.

    The program works fine with a Sony autoloader. Yes, it has the 2GB limit
    when writing to disk (but not to tape)-- but why would anyone use a hard
    disk for backup? The backup medium is as fragile as the original. And
    CD/DVDs take too much operator intervention for large backups. I know of
    no industrial-strength backup system that uses anything but tape.

    Perce

  9. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 16:22:15 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > On 06/09/07 09:13 am Stan Goodman wrote:
    >
    > > A Google search for Back Again v4.1 produced nothing; I found a demo
    > > for v4.0 on Hobbes. If I can't find v4.1, I probably can't find a
    > > serial number for it either.
    > >
    > > My favored solution is to clean up the apparent problem in the
    > > partition, then zip it and put it on a DVD. "Zip and Burn", as we
    > > might say.
    > >
    > > In general, ZIP is an adequate backup solution for me.
    > >
    > > Why would the Back Again suggestion get somebody flamed?

    > ftp://os2.fannet.ru/pub/filesos2/apps/ba2ksv410.zip

    A more complete set is at:

    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/oldsoft.html#CDS

    > Registration keys were posted in a message on the eCS apps ng by Nikolai
    > Plushenko on 3/25/2005.

    Indeed.

  10. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    I suggested BA 4.10, because his partition is 1.5 GB. And it is
    better for me to just burn one file to DVD (1.5 GB) and/or copy it to
    another harddisk. Plus there are no problems with the zip commands or
    its limitations, as pointed out in the early posts. Once BA/2 is set
    up it is a one click process, just remember about the 2 GB limit.
    When installing deselect the tape driver, if not needed.

    If you need an easy way to burn data to DVD, check out my article:

    http://24.119.63.125/index.php?id=23

    1.5 GB partition does not industrial level protection, or a 20/40 GB
    tape backup with auto-loader or remote backup.

    Cheers,

    Greggory Shaw

    Here is the serial number for BA 4.10:

    Long time ago Computer Data Strategies (CDS) making back up software
    for OS/2, Back Again/2. Later making Back Again/2000. 2004 Intradyn
    buying CDS, decide making no more OS/2 version.

    Back Again/2000 newest version is 4.1 Workstation Edition and Server
    Edition (WorkGroup and Enterprise). Trial versions can getting from
    Internet, with no registration key back up only 50MB.

    Server Edition better, can backing up JFS, HPFS386 security
    information.

    Use this key Back Again/2000 Server can making no-limit back ups:

    cb6cf-627ca-6a7e3-89faf-2779 (can be Workgroup?)

    c4fe5-629ca-6acea-a7f78-2779 (can be Enterprise?)

    Add this key can using automatic tape drive:

    cbfdf-627c9-6ac5c-b9f71-3729

    Add these key can using Remote File System agent on Windows computers
    and backing up Windows computer with OS/2 computer:

    Can backing up five remote Workstation:

    cbfef-627c8-6ec4c-89b71-3729

    Every one can adding five more Workstation:

    cbfe0-627c8-6ec4c-82b71-3729
    cbfe2-627c8-6ec4c-8cb71-3729
    cbfe4-627c8-6ec4c-86b71-3729
    cbfe6-627c8-6ec4c-80b71-3729
    cbfe8-627c8-6ec4c-8ab71-3729
    cbfea-627c8-6ec4c-84b71-3729
    cbfec-627c8-6ec4c-8eb71-3729
    cbfee-627c8-6ec4c-88b71-3729

    Can backing up five remote Server:

    cbfef-627cf-6ec4c-99b71-3729

    Every one can adding five more Server:

    cbfe0-627cf-6ec4c-92b71-3729
    cbfe2-627cf-6ec4c-9cb71-3729
    cbfe4-627cf-6ec4c-96b71-3729
    cbfe6-627cf-6ec4c-90b71-3729
    cbfe8-627cf-6ec4c-9ab71-3729
    cbfea-627cf-6ec4c-94b71-3729
    cbfec-627cf-6ec4c-9eb71-3729
    cbfee-627cf-6ec4c-98b71-3729

    Nikolai Plushenko

    --

  11. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:44:27 UTC, "sXwamp"
    wrote:

    Since you posted the serial numbers, let me repeat my URL for all three
    components so that they appear in one archived post:

    --
    Bob Eager

  12. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 16:22:15 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    opined:
    > On 06/09/07 09:13 am Stan Goodman wrote:
    >
    > > A Google search for Back Again v4.1 produced nothing; I found a demo
    > > for v4.0 on Hobbes. If I can't find v4.1, I probably can't find a
    > > serial number for it either.
    > >
    > > My favored solution is to clean up the apparent problem in the
    > > partition, then zip it and put it on a DVD. "Zip and Burn", as we
    > > might say.
    > >
    > > In general, ZIP is an adequate backup solution for me.
    > >
    > > Why would the Back Again suggestion get somebody flamed?

    > ftp://os2.fannet.ru/pub/filesos2/apps/ba2ksv410.zip
    >
    > Registration keys were posted in a message on the eCS apps ng by Nikolai
    > Plushenko on 3/25/2005.
    >
    > The program works fine with a Sony autoloader. Yes, it has the 2GB limit
    > when writing to disk (but not to tape)-- but why would anyone use a hard
    > disk for backup? The backup medium is as fragile as the original. And
    > CD/DVDs take too much operator intervention for large backups. I know of
    > no industrial-strength backup system that uses anything but tape.

    That solves _that_ problem: I don't have or need a tape drive, and
    don't plan on acquiring one. What a load off my mind.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  13. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 17:44:27 UTC, "sXwamp"
    opined:
    > I suggested BA 4.10, because his partition is 1.5 GB. And it is
    > better for me to just burn one file to DVD (1.5 GB) and/or copy it to
    > another harddisk. Plus there are no problems with the zip commands or
    > its limitations, as pointed out in the early posts. Once BA/2 is set
    > up it is a one click process, just remember about the 2 GB limit.
    > When installing deselect the tape driver, if not needed.
    >
    > If you need an easy way to burn data to DVD, check out my article:
    >
    > http://24.119.63.125/index.php?id=23

    The server is down.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  14. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    Back up, power when down for a while.

    --

  15. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    > ftp://os2.fannet.ru/pub/filesos2/apps/ba2ksv410.zip
    >
    > Registration keys were posted in a message on the eCS apps ng by Nikolai
    > Plushenko on 3/25/2005.

    Could I trouble you for the full name for eCS apps?
    I can not seem to find it here. :{

    TIA
    Rich W.

  16. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    On 06/10/07 07:31 pm Rich Wonneberger wrote:

    >> ftp://os2.fannet.ru/pub/filesos2/apps/ba2ksv410.zip
    >>
    >> Registration keys were posted in a message on the eCS apps ng by
    >> Nikolai Plushenko on 3/25/2005.

    > Could I trouble you for the full name for eCS apps?
    > I can not seem to find it here. :{

    The news server is news.ecomstation.com. The specific group is
    ecomstation.apps

    But somebody using the name "sXwamp" has quoted that whole message in
    this thread anyway.

    Perce

  17. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk

    Bob Eager schrieb:
    > Or on some other drive, using the -b option.

    Which does not work with some older zip versions. But 2.31 should be okay.

  18. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:15:36 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    opined:
    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 07:58:01 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    > opined:
    > > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 07:18:50 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:24:33 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    > > > opined:

    > > > Maybe you could expand on that a bit. What the "?" screen says is "-b
    > > > path", which is not of much help. I am calling explicit paths to both
    > > > the partition to be archived and to the new ZIP file, but one does't
    > > > need an option to do that; what path does "-b" specify?

    > > The temporary workfile directory. ZIP builds a new zipfile in a
    > > temporary file, then moves it over the old one when complete. With -b,
    > > one specifies a path where the temporary file can be stored, which can
    > > be on a different disk. If there is enough space on the disk, it won't
    > > matter.
    > >
    > > This is all in the documentation, which says rather more than the help
    > > screen.
    > >
    > > In your case, I think it's more likely that you need a newer version of
    > > ZIP.

    > Actually, I am using ZIP v2.32, dtd 19June2006, which is probably as
    > new as they come. I think I need to provide more space for the
    > temporary file. Given your explanation, it makes a lot of sense.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The suggestion of replacing the JFS line in config.sys with
    "IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+D" didn't produce any joy.
    I have found the source of the problem, but haven't solved it.

    There is a small directory in the partition that contains an
    impossible filename consisting of all non-alphanumeric characters --
    Greek letters, double angle brackets, and such. I have been unable to
    delete it.

    I have removed all the legitimate files in this directory to afresh
    directory, and tried to delete the directory containing only the
    corrupt file, but that is impossible. It is also impossible to delete
    the directory from a Linux boot.

    The only course I have thought of would be to backup the "real"
    content of the partition, and then to delete the partition. But I
    wonder if what looks like a bad filename may actually represent
    physical corruption in the HD surface that may show up at a later
    date. Is this likely?

    What's the recommended procedure in this situation?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  19. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    Stan Goodman writes:

    > The only course I have thought of would be to backup the "real"
    > content of the partition, and then to delete the partition. But I
    > wonder if what looks like a bad filename may actually represent
    > physical corruption in the HD surface that may show up at a later
    > date. Is this likely?

    JFS should mark any defective areas on the disk as bad blocks to
    prevent future usage, but you'll need to run CHKDSK for that to
    happen.

    Is it feasible to move everything legitimate off the partition and
    reformat?

  20. Re: Backup partition on DVD disk -- progress, but not enough

    Hi Stan

    Stan Goodman wrote:
    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 10:15:36 UTC, "Stan Goodman"
    > opined:
    >> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 07:58:01 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    >> opined:

    >>> The temporary workfile directory. ZIP builds a new zipfile in a
    >>> temporary file, then moves it over the old one when complete. With -b,
    >>> one specifies a path where the temporary file can be stored, which can
    >>> be on a different disk. If there is enough space on the disk, it won't
    >>> matter.
    >>>
    >>> This is all in the documentation, which says rather more than the help
    >>> screen.
    >>>
    >>> In your case, I think it's more likely that you need a newer version of
    >>> ZIP.

    >> Actually, I am using ZIP v2.32, dtd 19June2006, which is probably as
    >> new as they come. I think I need to provide more space for the
    >> temporary file. Given your explanation, it makes a lot of sense.
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > The suggestion of replacing the JFS line in config.sys with
    > "IFS=C:\OS2\JFS.IFS /LW:5,20,4 /AUTOCHECK:+D" didn't produce any joy.
    > I have found the source of the problem, but haven't solved it.

    It does not resolve EA problems either... :-(

    I just had to manually copy 95 image files to find out which 1 was had
    corrupt EAs causing a problem. Opening the directory caused a system
    hang when using the Desktop. No problem when accessing the directory
    from a command line though.

    > There is a small directory in the partition that contains an
    > impossible filename consisting of all non-alphanumeric characters --
    > Greek letters, double angle brackets, and such. I have been unable to
    > delete it.
    >
    > I have removed all the legitimate files in this directory to afresh
    > directory, and tried to delete the directory containing only the
    > corrupt file, but that is impossible. It is also impossible to delete
    > the directory from a Linux boot.
    >
    > The only course I have thought of would be to backup the "real"
    > content of the partition, and then to delete the partition. But I
    > wonder if what looks like a bad filename may actually represent
    > physical corruption in the HD surface that may show up at a later
    > date. Is this likely?
    >
    > What's the recommended procedure in this situation?
    >
    > --
    > Stan Goodman
    > Qiryat Tiv'on
    > Israel

    The above looks like a codepage problem. Been using any different
    codepages recently?

    I suggest a Google as I have seen some posts about a similar problems
    over the past couple of years.

    Regards

    Pete