Long filename support - OS2

This is a discussion on Long filename support - OS2 ; + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45 Hello All. Is there any type of add-on for OS/2-DOS that would enable it to see long filenames? Like under Win9x or XP, dir /x shows FAT compatible names. I'd like to try and make ...

  1. Long filename support

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello All.

    Is there any type of add-on for OS/2-DOS that would enable it to
    see long filenames? Like under Win9x or XP, dir /x shows FAT
    compatible names. I'd like to try and make some long names
    available to Maximus/2 BBS, which in spite of being native OS/2,
    doesn't support long names (or at least so it seems.) E.G., some
    of the programs called by Maximus/2 are DOS based and run in a
    VDM - I'd like to let that VDM see even abbreviated versions of
    the long names in certain directories.

    Hopefully I'm not dreaming and such an add-on or device driver
    exists.

    Much appreciate the help in advance!

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+

    ... Computer: A device designed to speed up and automate errors.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  2. Re: Long filename support

    Hi Marc,

    On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 11:13:19 UTC, "Marc Lewis"
    wrote:

    > + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    > Is there any type of add-on for OS/2-DOS that would enable it to
    > see long filenames? Like under Win9x or XP, dir /x shows FAT
    > compatible names. I'd like to try and make some long names
    > available to Maximus/2 BBS, which in spite of being native OS/2,
    > doesn't support long names (or at least so it seems.) E.G., some
    > of the programs called by Maximus/2 are DOS based and run in a
    > VDM - I'd like to let that VDM see even abbreviated versions of
    > the long names in certain directories.
    >
    > Hopefully I'm not dreaming and such an add-on or device driver
    > exists.
    >
    > Much appreciate the help in advance!

    Netdrive + the vfat plugin does this nicely - I use it on USB flash
    drives regularly

  3. re: Long filename support

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    regarding Re: Long filename support >

    ml> Is there any type of add-on for OS/2-DOS that would enable
    ml> it to see long filenames? Like under Win9x or XP, dir /x
    ml> shows FAT compatible names. I'd like to try and make some
    ml> long names available to Maximus/2 BBS, which in spite of
    ml> being native OS/2, doesn't support long names (or at least
    ml> so it seems.) E.G., some of the programs called by
    ml> Maximus/2 are DOS based and run in a VDM - I'd like to let
    ml> that VDM see even abbreviated versions of the long names in
    ml> certain directories.

    ml> Hopefully I'm not dreaming and such an add-on or device
    ml> diver exists.

    ml> Much appreciate the help in advance!

    PS> Netdrive + the vfat plugin does this nicely - I use it on
    PS> USB flash drives regularly

    I'm afraid that won't do what I'm after. I already utilise
    NetDrive v3.022 (registered) with the SMB plugin to access 1
    server that doesn't support NetBEUI. I downloaded the VFAT
    plugin, but that appears to only be for locally mounted drives
    or partitions.

    What I need is a way to have OS/2's DOS (and/or 4DOS) be able to
    read long names, regardless if its a local HPFS drive or a
    mapped NTFS drive. (CMD.EXE has no problem whatsoever with long
    names on mapped NTFS or VFAT drives.)

    I remember a long time back there was an LFN driver to make
    MSDOS 5 or 6 able to read the long names on certain drives.
    Never used it, but I suspect that I need something similar to
    that, that would be loaded as a device in CONFIG.SYS.

    Ideas?

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  4. Re: Long filename support

    In article <00077061@net396.fidonet.org>,
    "Marc Lewis" wrote:

    >I remember a long time back there was an LFN driver to make
    >MSDOS 5 or 6 able to read the long names on certain drives.
    >Never used it, but I suspect that I need something similar to
    >that, that would be loaded as a device in CONFIG.SYS.

    Real DOS enabled you to get in at the "kernel" level with such drivers.
    OS/2 has DOS emulation, not real DOS. The emulator may not allow LFNs to be
    visible even if you can install the driver. The "DOS from Drive A:" option
    might be a possibility, but again I doubt that the LFNs on any disk managed
    by OS/2 will be visible.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

  5. Re: Long filename support

    In , on 06/05/2007
    at 03:49 PM, black.hole.4.spam@gmail.com (Don Hills) said:

    >Real DOS enabled you to get in at the "kernel" level with such
    >drivers. OS/2 has DOS emulation, not real DOS.

    The VDM machines runs real DOS from \OS2\MDOS\, with some special
    drivers to communicate with OS/2. They can see files in HPFS, not just
    FAT, but the API has no way to pass a long file name.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  6. Re: Long filename support

    "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" writes:

    SJ> The VDM machines runs real DOS from \OS2\MDOS\, with some special
    SJ> drivers to communicate with OS/2. They can see files in HPFS, not just
    SJ> FAT, but the API has no way to pass a long file name.

    I don't suppose the DOS in ECS is an different than the DOS in Warp 4.52, is
    it?

    Best regards,
    Marc
    telnet://bbs.sursum-corda.com

    -+- QuikEdit 2.41R+
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  7. Re: Long filename support

    Sir:

    Marc Lewis wrote:
    > + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    > Hello All.
    >
    > Is there any type of add-on for OS/2-DOS that would enable it to
    > see long filenames? Like under Win9x or XP, dir /x shows FAT
    > compatible names. I'd like to try and make some long names
    > available to Maximus/2 BBS, which in spite of being native OS/2,
    > doesn't support long names (or at least so it seems.) E.G., some
    > of the programs called by Maximus/2 are DOS based and run in a
    > VDM - I'd like to let that VDM see even abbreviated versions of
    > the long names in certain directories.
    >
    > Hopefully I'm not dreaming and such an add-on or device driver
    > exists.
    >
    > Much appreciate the help in advance!

    You are looking for a DOS driver that will read a file's long file name
    and create a short name. I put that description into Google and got
    this as first hit.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: Long filename support

    In <000774b1@net396.fidonet.org>, on 06/05/2007
    at 08:07 PM, "Marc Lewis"
    said:

    >I don't suppose the DOS in ECS is an different than the DOS in Warp
    >4.52, is it?

    I doubt it, but that question is best addressed to John. All that I
    can guaranty is that on my eCS 1.1 system I can do a dir in a DOS
    window and get the 8.3 names from an HPFS drive, but not the longer
    names.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

+ Reply to Thread