Ubuntu, eCS, and XP - OS2

This is a discussion on Ubuntu, eCS, and XP - OS2 ; I want to try to install Ubuntu again on my slave drive, after the disaster the last time I tried with Ubuntu 5.10 and somehow got Grub installed on my master and all data on all partitions on the master ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    I want to try to install Ubuntu again on my slave drive, after the
    disaster the last time I tried with Ubuntu 5.10 and somehow got Grub
    installed on my master and all data on all partitions on the master hosed.
    I have the alternate install CD of Ubuntu 7.04, and have created a 256 M
    Linux Swap partition and two 6.5 M ext/3 Linux partitions with DFSEE.
    Jan van Wilk has been helping me get up the nerve to try again, and told
    me how I should tell it to install Grub to the Linux partition /dev/hdb2.
    I hope I can get it done correctly this time.

    Is anyone else running this combo? I admit to knowing nothing of Linux,
    little of XP, and not being too great with OS/2, which is why I always
    appreciate the help I get.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  2. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > I want to try to install Ubuntu again on my slave drive, after the
    > disaster the last time I tried with Ubuntu 5.10 and somehow got Grub
    > installed on my master and all data on all partitions on the master hosed.
    > I have the alternate install CD of Ubuntu 7.04, and have created a 256 M
    > Linux Swap partition and two 6.5 M ext/3 Linux partitions with DFSEE.
    > Jan van Wilk has been helping me get up the nerve to try again, and told
    > me how I should tell it to install Grub to the Linux partition /dev/hdb2.
    > I hope I can get it done correctly this time.
    >
    > Is anyone else running this combo? I admit to knowing nothing of Linux,
    > little of XP, and not being too great with OS/2, which is why I always
    > appreciate the help I get.
    >

    > Alan

    Not much help perhaps, but merely confirmation of the difficulty. I
    tried this scenario, and could not get past the stage where installing
    Grub corrupted the partition table. It was odd to look at in DFSEE
    because the logical partitions appeared twice and there was an error
    message about circular references. It was possible to recover to ECS and
    XP by editing the partition table, but that didn't help with getting
    linux installed.
    I gave up at that point.
    If you succeed I would be interested to learn the trick.
    Good luck!
    Peter

  3. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    nobody@junk.min.net schrieb:

    > I want to try to install Ubuntu again on my slave drive, after the
    > disaster the last time I tried with Ubuntu 5.10 and somehow got Grub
    > installed on my master and all data on all partitions on the master hosed.
    > I have the alternate install CD of Ubuntu 7.04, and have created a 256 M
    > Linux Swap partition and two 6.5 M ext/3 Linux partitions with DFSEE.
    > Jan van Wilk has been helping me get up the nerve to try again, and told
    > me how I should tell it to install Grub to the Linux partition /dev/hdb2.
    > I hope I can get it done correctly this time.
    >
    > Is anyone else running this combo? I admit to knowing nothing of Linux,
    > little of XP, and not being too great with OS/2, which is why I always
    > appreciate the help I get.

    An important point is that you choose the advanced install path.

    Hendrik

  4. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > I want to try to install Ubuntu again on my slave drive, after the
    > disaster the last time I tried with Ubuntu 5.10 and somehow got Grub
    > installed on my master and all data on all partitions on the master hosed.
    > I have the alternate install CD of Ubuntu 7.04, and have created a 256 M
    > Linux Swap partition and two 6.5 M ext/3 Linux partitions with DFSEE.
    > Jan van Wilk has been helping me get up the nerve to try again, and told
    > me how I should tell it to install Grub to the Linux partition /dev/hdb2.
    > I hope I can get it done correctly this time.
    >
    > Is anyone else running this combo? I admit to knowing nothing of Linux,
    > little of XP, and not being too great with OS/2, which is why I always
    > appreciate the help I get.
    >

    > Alan

    I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on a dual-CPU Dell along with eCS 1.1 and eCS
    1.2 partitions. It took a few times but things are working OK now.

    I set up the partitions on the OS/2 side with DFSee (wiping out the old
    WinXP partition I never used). One needs to keep track of the Unix
    numbers of the partitions (the "ux" column on the "fdisk -r-" command).
    On screen #4 I chose the manual partition option and told Ubuntu which
    partitions I wanted it to use, namely /dev/sdb4 for swap, 5 for /boot, 6
    for / and 7 for /home. Partition counting starts at 1.

    The nomenclature is "s" for a SCSI disk and "b" for the second disk on
    the system; if you have one ATA disk it'll be hda instead of sdb. One
    point of confusion for me is that I only have one internal hard disk,
    the second is an external USB. More on this later.

    I also added /boot to Boot Manager while in OS/2.

    On screen #7 the Advanced option lets you tell Ubuntu where to put grub.
    By default it'll go in the Master Boot Record. I told it to use /boot
    instead.

    On reboot Ubuntu said it couldn't find the boot partition. The problem
    was the first disk/second disk business. The /boot/menu.lst entry was
    (hd1,4). In grub the counting starts at zero so this entry means "boot
    from the 5th partition of the second disk (from the "h" it seems that
    grub doesn't care about the SCSI/ATA distinction).

    Fortunately one can edit the boot entry from the commandline in grub. I
    changed the 1,4 to 0,4 and it booted up properly. I then edited the
    menu.lst entry. Better would have been to edit menu.lst prior to rebooting.

    Ubuntu can read the two jfs partitions on the disk but only as
    superuser. Someday I hope to learn the subtleties of mount and fstab
    and get user access to jfs.

    Chuck Meins Jr

  5. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    In , on 05/31/2007
    at 09:19 AM, Chuck Meins said:

    >I set up the partitions on the OS/2 side with DFSee (wiping out the
    >old WinXP partition I never used). One needs to keep track of the
    >Unix numbers of the partitions (the "ux" column on the "fdisk -r-"
    >command).

    Note that Linux numbering of logical drives in an extended logical
    partition starts at 5, even if there aren't 4 partitions on the disk.

    >/dev/sdb4 for swap

    Why? Won't a logical drive work equally well and leave you with more
    flexibility?

    >Ubuntu can read the two jfs partitions on the disk but only as
    >superuser.

    That's a configuration problem. Search comp.os.linux.misc.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  6. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > I want to try to install Ubuntu again on my slave drive, after the
    > disaster the last time I tried with Ubuntu 5.10 and somehow got Grub
    > installed on my master and all data on all partitions on the master hosed.
    > I have the alternate install CD of Ubuntu 7.04, and have created a 256 M
    > Linux Swap partition and two 6.5 M ext/3 Linux partitions with DFSEE.
    > Jan van Wilk has been helping me get up the nerve to try again, and told
    > me how I should tell it to install Grub to the Linux partition /dev/hdb2.
    > I hope I can get it done correctly this time.

    I got Kubuntu 7.04 installed alongside ECS & WinXP. So much the same
    stuff - KDE rather than Gnome for a desktop.

    I avoided GRUB by hitting cancel or so when it wanted to install, it
    then failed but the next screen to be presented turned out to be Lilo (I
    favor that one over Grub). Lilo is much more flexible about where it
    wants to be put - the / partition (the option you and I need) is one of
    its suggestions.

    Later on you can add (K)Ubuntu to ECS boot manager by booting ECS and
    adding your Linux (in LVM).

    P.

  7. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    In , on 05/31/07
    at 09:19 AM, Chuck Meins said:

    >I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on a dual-CPU Dell along with eCS 1.1 and eCS
    >1.2 partitions. It took a few times but things are working OK now.

    >I set up the partitions on the OS/2 side with DFSee (wiping out the old
    >WinXP partition I never used). One needs to keep track of the Unix
    >numbers of the partitions (the "ux" column on the "fdisk -r-" command).
    > On screen #4 I chose the manual partition option and told Ubuntu which
    >partitions I wanted it to use, namely /dev/sdb4 for swap, 5 for /boot, 6
    >for / and 7 for /home. Partition counting starts at 1.

    I want to put Ubuntu on a 6.5 gig partition on my slave drive. I used
    DFSEE to create a SWAP partition, two 6.5 gig Linux partitions, and a 6
    gig HPFS partition (I keep zips of my HPFS partitions from the master,
    plus images of my XP partition, on that partition as another backup.) The
    partition I want to use is /dev/hdb2, according to DFSEE.

    >The nomenclature is "s" for a SCSI disk and "b" for the second disk on
    >the system; if you have one ATA disk it'll be hda instead of sdb. One
    >point of confusion for me is that I only have one internal hard disk,
    >the second is an external USB. More on this later.

    I have two internal IDE drives.

    >I also added /boot to Boot Manager while in OS/2.

    I'll get to that if I ever get Ubuntu installed. :-)

    >On screen #7 the Advanced option lets you tell Ubuntu where to put grub.
    > By default it'll go in the Master Boot Record. I told it to use /boot
    >instead.

    That's what I'll have to do. Grub being installed in the MBR killed
    everything the first time I installed Ubuntu 5,10.

    >Fortunately one can edit the boot entry from the commandline in grub. I
    >changed the 1,4 to 0,4 and it booted up properly. I then edited the
    >menu.lst entry. Better would have been to edit menu.lst prior to
    >rebooting.

    If I ever get to that point where I need to edit an Ubuntu file, I'll be
    here again.

    >Ubuntu can read the two jfs partitions on the disk but only as
    >superuser. Someday I hope to learn the subtleties of mount and fstab
    >and get user access to jfs.

    Ubuntu asked how I wanted format the partition (I got partway through the
    install before getting confused and quitting.) Should I select JFS ext3
    and LVM, or ext2?

    When I took a look at the install, I selected manual. I got as far as
    being asked about mounting the partition I chose, and didn't know what to
    select. There were a bunch of options, including root, home, /usr/local.
    Do I select all of them for one partition, or should I place some on /hdb2
    and some on /hdb3 (the second Linux partition created with DFSEE - Jan
    suggested I create two, in case I ever want another kind of Linux, but I
    wouldn't bet on that happening. I can muddle through OS/2, with a lot of
    help, I know little about Windows, and I know zilch about Linux.)

    eCS is all HPFS, if that matters. Can Linux read Fat16? I have a Fat16
    partition that is seen by eCS and XP (I copy updated bookmarks files to
    it, then move them to the proper folders for XP Seamonkey and Firefox. I
    could do the same with Ubuntu, if it reads Fat16.)

    Alan

    --

  8. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    In , on 05/31/07
    at 09:27 AM, Peter J Seymour said:

    >Not much help perhaps, but merely confirmation of the difficulty. I
    >tried this scenario, and could not get past the stage where installing
    >Grub corrupted the partition table. It was odd to look at in DFSEE
    >because the logical partitions appeared twice and there was an error
    >message about circular references. It was possible to recover to ECS and
    >XP by editing the partition table, but that didn't help with getting
    >linux installed.
    >I gave up at that point.
    >If you succeed I would be interested to learn the trick.

    The first time I tried to install Ubuntu 5.10, I told it to install to
    drive 2. It was doing that, when suddenly the screen said it was
    installing Grub to drive 1, and I couldn't stop it. That wound up killing
    eCS and Win98SE (I had that at the time.) Jan van Wilk was able to
    restore my partition table, but the data on every partition was messed up,
    so I had to reformat each one and restore from a backup (a friend
    installed XP in place of 98SE.) That's why I'm asking here, as well as
    conversing with Jan. Once bitten, twice chicken. :-)

    I have since learned that the manual install of Ubuntu must be used, and
    Grub must be told to install into the Linux partition you're using, NOT to
    the master boot record. I think it belongs in /boot.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  9. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    In <46607544$0$738$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccnet.nl>, on 06/01/07
    at 09:37 PM, Philip Nienhuis said:

    >I got Kubuntu 7.04 installed alongside ECS & WinXP. So much the same
    >stuff - KDE rather than Gnome for a desktop.

    I don't know one Ubuntu from another. I've seen the different names, and
    read that the desktops are different.

    >I avoided GRUB by hitting cancel or so when it wanted to install, it
    >then failed but the next screen to be presented turned out to be Lilo (I
    >favor that one over Grub). Lilo is much more flexible about where it
    >wants to be put - the / partition (the option you and I need) is one of
    >its suggestions.

    So either Linux boot handler is okay? Do they both recognize Windows and
    OS/2 for booting, if someone chooses to use them as a boot manager (which
    I presume can't be done unless Grub or Lilo is installed to the master
    boot record, where we don't want it?) People in the Ubuntu forums have
    suggested using Grub that way, but I don't want to.

    >Later on you can add (K)Ubuntu to ECS boot manager by booting ECS and
    >adding your Linux (in LVM).

    I would just call it "Ubuntu" or something, and choose the partition it
    and Grub/Lilo are on (/hdb2, in my case?)

    I hope I get that far.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  10. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
    > In , on 05/31/2007
    > at 09:19 AM, Chuck Meins said:

    (snip)
    >> /dev/sdb4 for swap

    > Why? Won't a logical drive work equally well and leave you with more
    > flexibility?

    I don't know if swap works on a logical partition or not. I picked up
    the idea from somewhere that swap needed a primary partition, so that's
    what I used. It would be more convenient if a logical one could be used.

    >> Ubuntu can read the two jfs partitions on the disk but only as
    >> superuser.

    The problem was that Ubuntu declared the owner of jfs to be root. I did
    a recursive change owner (chown -R). I then found that only the read
    attributes of the contents were set so I turned all of the attributes
    (read/write/execute) on recursively (chmod -R 777). Now everything is
    readable and editable.

    Chuck Meins Jr

  11. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    In , on 06/04/2007
    at 09:32 AM, Chuck Meins said:

    >I don't know if swap works on a logical partition or not.

    I've always run that way, with no problems. The only piece of Linux
    that I ever put in its own partition was /boot, and I won't guaranty
    that it won't work in a logical drive. My guess is that a logical
    drive for /boot is okay as long as the boot loader is in the MBR or
    you're loading Linux from the OS/2 BM.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  12. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    nobody@junk.min.net schrieb:

    > Ubuntu asked how I wanted format the partition (I got partway through the
    > install before getting confused and quitting.) Should I select JFS ext3
    > and LVM, or ext2?

    Be aware that the Linux LVM is not compatible with the OS/2 LVM.
    In any case you should select ext3, if it is not intended for
    data transfer with OS/2 , otherwise you should select jfs.

    > Can Linux read Fat16? I have a Fat16
    > partition that is seen by eCS and XP (I copy updated bookmarks files to
    > it, then move them to the proper folders for XP Seamonkey and Firefox. I
    > could do the same with Ubuntu, if it reads Fat16.)

    Linux can read fat16, if the according options are selected for the
    kernel compiling which is normally that case.

    Hendrik

  13. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    Chuck Meins wrote:

    > Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
    >> In , on 05/31/2007
    >> at 09:19 AM, Chuck Meins said:

    > (snip)
    >>> /dev/sdb4 for swap

    >> Why? Won't a logical drive work equally well and leave you with more
    >> flexibility?

    > I don't know if swap works on a logical partition or not. I picked up
    > the idea from somewhere that swap needed a primary partition, so that's
    > what I used. It would be more convenient if a logical one could be used.

    Chuck, I put everything on logicals and it has worked with the 4-5
    distributions of Linux I've tried. Matter of fact, I have one swap
    partition that is used by all the different flavors just to save hassle and
    remembering which is what.

    >>> Ubuntu can read the two jfs partitions on the disk but only as
    >>> superuser.

    > The problem was that Ubuntu declared the owner of jfs to be root. I did
    > a recursive change owner (chown -R). I then found that only the read
    > attributes of the contents were set so I turned all of the attributes
    > (read/write/execute) on recursively (chmod -R 777). Now everything is
    > readable and editable.

    Ah! A fellow "get a BIG hammer" type like myself .

    --
    Will Honea

  14. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > In <46607544$0$738$3a628fcd@textreader.nntp.hccnet.nl>, on 06/01/07
    > at 09:37 PM, Philip Nienhuis said:
    >
    >> I got Kubuntu 7.04 installed alongside ECS & WinXP. So much the same
    >> stuff - KDE rather than Gnome for a desktop.

    > I don't know one Ubuntu from another. I've seen the different names, and
    > read that the desktops are different.
    >
    >> I avoided GRUB by hitting cancel or so when it wanted to install, it
    >> then failed but the next screen to be presented turned out to be Lilo (I
    >> favor that one over Grub). Lilo is much more flexible about where it
    >> wants to be put - the / partition (the option you and I need) is one of
    >> its suggestions.

    > So either Linux boot handler is okay? Do they both recognize Windows and

    Sure; only thing is, I like Lilo much better. Just a matter of personal
    taste. And - Grub wants its destination to be specified as (xx, yy) or
    so, which turns out to be too complicated for a mere mortal like me :-)
    Now one of Lilo's suggestions was "the new Kubuntu partition" - now
    that's slang that I can understand....

    BTW I just reinstalled Kubuntu (not because of troubles, I only wanted
    to increase another partition's size and Kubuntu was simply in the way)
    and I now noted that you must not enter anything in the line where you
    specify where Grub's stuff is to be installed (just leave it / make sure
    it is blank); Grub's installer will fail, some red error messages appear
    (don't panic) and just scroll down the installation steps one step to
    see Lilo installation.
    From there installation will proceed w/o problems.

    > OS/2 for booting, if someone chooses to use them as a boot manager (which
    > I presume can't be done unless Grub or Lilo is installed to the master
    > boot record, where we don't want it?) People in the Ubuntu forums have

    Right, and again: right.

    > suggested using Grub that way, but I don't want to.
    >
    >> Later on you can add (K)Ubuntu to ECS boot manager by booting ECS and
    >> adding your Linux (in LVM).

    > I would just call it "Ubuntu" or something, and choose the partition it
    > and Grub/Lilo are on (/hdb2, in my case?)

    ECS LVM doen't understand /hdb2. Just give the partition a name and add
    it to the boot menu.

    > I hope I get that far.

    Sure you will. Just keep trying.

    Philip

  15. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    Hi Alan,

    > >I recently went through this and evenutually figured out the necessary
    > >steps. See the thread "How to get OS/2, Ubuntu, XP to co-exist" in
    > >comp.os.os2.setup.storage for details.

    > I had been using Airboot, and liked it, but one day, Seamonkey crashed in
    > eCS (not uncommon here, for some reason), and, after that, Airboot
    > reported a problem with the disk or partition table, and wouldn't proceed.
    > I restored the partition table, and checked the drive (no problem found),

    Did you use DFSee? DFSee will really check the partition tables. AiR-
    BOOT is quite serious about it. If anything seems wrong, AiR-BOOT will
    not boot your system. That's because booting in such state could mean
    data loss.

    If you don't find a problem w/ DFSee, please send me full partition
    table dumps. I should be able to spot the problem.

    Regards
    M. Kiewitz

  16. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    In <1181027631.961668.115750@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.c om>, on 06/05/07
    at 12:13 AM, kiewitzMegaSpam@klinikum-konstanz.de said:

    >> I had been using Airboot, and liked it, but one day, Seamonkey crashed in
    >> eCS (not uncommon here, for some reason), and, after that, Airboot
    >> reported a problem with the disk or partition table, and wouldn't proceed.
    >> I restored the partition table, and checked the drive (no problem found),

    >Did you use DFSee? DFSee will really check the partition tables. AiR-
    >BOOT is quite serious about it. If anything seems wrong, AiR-BOOT will
    >not boot your system. That's because booting in such state could mean
    >data loss.

    Understood. Yes, I used DFSEE. No problem was reported that I could see,
    but I admit my knowledge is limited. Jan saw no problem in the DFSDisk
    reports I sent him.

    >If you don't find a problem w/ DFSee, please send me full partition table
    >dumps. I should be able to spot the problem.

    What would you like? My DFSDisk output for the master drive? If
    something else, please tell me what to do.

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  17. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:59:53 UTC, Philip Nienhuis
    wrote:

    > BTW I just reinstalled Kubuntu (not because of troubles, I only wanted
    > to increase another partition's size and Kubuntu was simply in the way)
    > and I now noted that you must not enter anything in the line where you
    > specify where Grub's stuff is to be installed (just leave it / make sure
    > it is blank); Grub's installer will fail, some red error messages appear
    > (don't panic) and just scroll down the installation steps one step to
    > see Lilo installation.

    The bus is sitting in front of your screen. My UBUNTU boots well over
    IBM BM to GRUB (dev/hda2) to
    UBUNTU (/dev/hda9, /SWAP on /dev/hda10) beside W2K and eCS 1.2R on the
    same mashine whereas eCS and W2K have a better screen resolution as
    UBUNTU can assign.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  18. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    On Wed, 30 May 2007 21:35:19 UTC, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:

    > I want to try to install Ubuntu again on my slave drive, after the
    > disaster the last time I tried with Ubuntu 5.10 and somehow got Grub
    > installed on my master and all data on all partitions on the master hosed.
    > I have the alternate install CD of Ubuntu 7.04, and have created a 256 M
    > Linux Swap partition and two 6.5 M ext/3 Linux partitions with DFSEE.
    > Jan van Wilk has been helping me get up the nerve to try again, and told
    > me how I should tell it to install Grub to the Linux partition /dev/hdb2.
    > I hope I can get it done correctly this time.
    >
    > Is anyone else running this combo? I admit to knowing nothing of Linux,
    > little of XP, and not being too great with OS/2, which is why I always
    > appreciate the help I get.

    At first when however you have to use eCS or OS/2:

    You MUST use eCS to do any partitoning you have to to do.
    You can't use linux for that without the risk of destroying the
    partiton table.
    You can't use windows for that without the risk of destroying the
    partiton table.
    However when you have an alredy installed windows and/or linux on a
    hard disk and you have to install eCS you MUST use dfsee to fixup CHS
    and partiton table before you can do something else.

    However when you has no knowledge how linux is using the hard disks
    you needs to learn a minimum before you tries to start to install:

    Linux does never use drive letters but symbolic names:
    - a physical drive has different names /dev/xyzn
    /dev is the symbolic name of the directory that contains devises
    such as screens, disks, floppies, printers and so on. Here I will
    tell
    only about hard disks because anything other can live on modern
    linux
    as it is and is of no interest here:
    xyzn is a 3 letter combination that builds a disk name. Wjhereas
    x = a single letter defining the type of a disk:
    h stands for an (E)IDE drive
    s stands for a SCSI drive
    y = d stands simply for disk
    z = a single letter from a to z
    for IDE: a = first drive on primary controller
    b = second drive on primary controller
    c = first drive on secondary controller
    d = second drive on secondary controller
    for SCSI: a = SCSI ID 0
    b = 1
    and so on
    n = a partiton number:
    0 = 1. primary partiton
    1 = 2. primary partiton
    2 = 3. primary partiton
    3 = 4. primary partiton
    4 = extended partition, the container for logical drives
    This thing is well hidden under windows and OS2/eCS
    even as it exists
    5 = 1. logical drive in the extended partition
    6 = 2. logival drive in the extended partition
    and so on

    examples:
    hda0 (E)IDE, primary controller, master, 1. primary partiton
    hdb0 (E)IDE, primary controller, slave, 1. primary partiton
    hda5 (E)IDE, primary controller, master, 1. logical drive in
    extended partiton
    hda9 (E)IDE, primary controller, master, 5. logical drive in
    extended partiton
    hda10 (E)IDE, primary controller, master. 6. logical drive in
    extended partiton

    As sayed above you have to to the whole partitoning with eCS:
    preferred:
    - IBM BootManager
    free space on to of the drive
    size: exactly 1 cylinder (depends on the size of the whole
    physical drive)
    eCS/OS2 LVM/fdisk determines the size and occupies a
    primary partiton for it
    C: 2. primary partiton on master, primary controller
    windows/DOS
    DOS/W9x: max. 2GB
    Windows >9x: any size you likes for NTFS/FAT32
    LVM type: compatible, bootable
    x: 3. primary partiton (/dev/hda2) /boot
    recommended size: 100 MB
    gioves enouth free space to hold multiple LINUX kernels
    will hold linux bootmanager
    to let the LINUX bootmanager decide which of the installed
    kernels to boot from here
    LVM type: compatible bootable
    hidden extended partiton
    will be crated and maintanced by LVM/OS2 fdisk under the hood
    when the first logical drive gets created
    D: logical drive, resevered for windows data, optionally
    size depends on the partiton type you'll use for win
    You MUST create a volume from that partiton only when it should
    be visible under eCS
    w: optionally: more logical drives for windows
    o: at least one, recommended more partitons for eCS/OS2
    you MUST create volumes for each to get them visible under eCS
    The logical drive you reserve for install eCS must be
    LVM type: compatible, bootable, format /FS:HPFS
    eCS 2.0 and up: can be LVM, bootable, format /FS:JFS
    size: OS/2, eCS 1.0/1.1: 500 MB, eCS 1.2(R) 1GB,
    eCS 2.0 1,5GB or bigger
    recommended multiple other partitons/volumes:
    LVM type: LVM, not bootable, format /FS:JFS; HPFS allowed
    - reserved for / - the only one you nneds beside /swap
    size: 20 GB or more recommended, 8GB required
    - /swap
    size: minimum: 2 x size of real RAM, more is better

    When there is already a functional windows installation you may modify
    the layout above:
    At first before you do anything else:
    - let the C: on the primary partiton it is already
    - fire up DFSee most current version
    required for XP and Vista, windows befor that optionally:
    - let it fixup CHS mapping
    - let it fixup mbr
    this destroys nothing but makes the disk ready to work with LVM or
    on
    OS/2 prior to 2.4.1 to use OS/2 fdisk.
    DON'T use fdisk on eCS and OS/2 4.51 and above! LVM is required
    on them

    On linux you MUST use the expert install. You have to change the
    partiton types you'll install linux on manually to the linux partiton
    types you want. In special UBUNTU will destroy any partion during
    standard install. So never use the default, go through the
    expert/advanced mode and be carefully to set right partions to the
    right type. Don't do anything else with the partitons except setting
    the right type, check and recheck to not destroy anything else.

    As a real sample: I had had to modify a customer mashine that was
    coming in with

    C: primary XP system
    D: primary XP data
    E: primary XP data
    - lot of free space

    Job to do: install eCS 1.2R on it, leave XP intact.

    The steps needed:
    - use DFSee to fixup mbr and CHS to be ready for eCS.
    - use DFSee to move the XP data partitons away into new
    created extended drives
    - use DFSee remove the primary partitons D: and E:
    - use DFSee to create IBM BM immediately after C:
    - use DFSee to create extended drives immediately thereafter
    to bring the windows data back on theyr place
    - use eCS installer boot to
    - make a volume from C:
    - insert C: into IBM BM
    - create the partitons for eCS
    - create volumes from the now already existent partitons
    - format the new created eCS partitons
    F: HPFS eCS system
    G: JFS eCS programs
    H: JFS eCS data
    continue with install
    after install:
    - integrate mashine in my network and internet
    Boot up to XP to check it's functional - success in all tests
    Boot up eCS installer
    - install ecsmt and fix the system up
    - install some software in eCS
    done!

    About 4 hours work done, full success - except: touch screen not
    working under eCS because impossible to get a OS/2 driver for it.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2R Deutsch ist da!

  19. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    Herbert Rosenau wrote:
    > On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 19:59:53 UTC, Philip Nienhuis
    > wrote:
    >
    >> BTW I just reinstalled Kubuntu (not because of troubles, I only wanted
    >> to increase another partition's size and Kubuntu was simply in the way)
    >> and I now noted that you must not enter anything in the line where you
    >> specify where Grub's stuff is to be installed (just leave it / make sure
    >> it is blank); Grub's installer will fail, some red error messages appear
    >> (don't panic) and just scroll down the installation steps one step to
    >> see Lilo installation.

    > The bus is sitting in front of your screen. My UBUNTU boots well over
    > IBM BM to GRUB (dev/hda2) to
    > UBUNTU (/dev/hda9, /SWAP on /dev/hda10) beside W2K and eCS 1.2R on the
    > same mashine whereas eCS and W2K have a better screen resolution as
    > UBUNTU can assign.

    Sorry, I didn't quite catch that:
    - What's the relation between a screen resolution and GRUB?
    - What does your detailed partition setup has to do with an explanation
    of how to skip an installation step?
    - (hopefully unintended (minor) insult ignored.)

    I do appreciate your apparent intention of being helpful, but then a
    little more structured / less chaotic reply than what you've produced
    (quoted above) would be a lot better.

    So, what's your point? Or wasn't your reply meant to be helpful in the
    first place?

    P.

  20. Re: Ubuntu, eCS, and XP

    In , on
    06/06/2007
    at 07:23 AM, "Herbert Rosenau" said:

    >x: 3. primary partiton (/dev/hda2) /boot

    Can't that go in a logical drive?

    >- reserved for / - the only one you nneds beside /swap

    I strongly recommend putting /home on a separate logical drive.

    >On linux you MUST use the expert install.

    I'm not enough of an expert to use anything else ;-)