WatchCat for OS/2 - OS2

This is a discussion on WatchCat for OS/2 - OS2 ; A long ago, I used to rely on a program called Watchcat for process control and the like. I believe it's a long time the product isn't updated anymore, albeit it's still on sale on BMT Micro - along with ...

  1. WatchCat for OS/2

    A long ago, I used to rely on a program called Watchcat for process control
    and the like. I believe it's a long time the product isn't updated anymore,
    albeit it's still on sale on BMT Micro - along with other long abandoned
    products.

    I was wondering if anybody here got in touch with the authors recently, and
    asked if they would consider making the product OpenSource. I think it was a
    really valuable product and, under a GPL license, the whole ( nowadays
    small) OS/2 community could definitely benefit from it, expecially with an
    up-to-date version available.

    Your comments on the matter are welcome :-)

    Riccardo

  2. Re: WatchCat for OS/2

    On 05/28/07 09:37 am Riccardo Rubini wrote:

    > A long ago, I used to rely on a program called Watchcat for process control
    > and the like. I believe it's a long time the product isn't updated anymore,
    > albeit it's still on sale on BMT Micro - along with other long abandoned
    > products.
    >
    > I was wondering if anybody here got in touch with the authors recently, and
    > asked if they would consider making the product OpenSource. I think it was a
    > really valuable product and, under a GPL license, the whole ( nowadays
    > small) OS/2 community could definitely benefit from it, expecially with an
    > up-to-date version available.
    >
    > Your comments on the matter are welcome :-)

    I asked something like this a few years ago and received a personal
    email from somebody who claimed to know the authors of WatchCat. He told
    me that they no longer use OS/2 and could not agree among themselves
    about releasing it to the public domain (no question at that time of
    open source).

    However, I find that the combination of CADH and TOP works well. Both
    are on Hobbes, IIRC.

    Perce

  3. Re: WatchCat for OS/2

    On 28 Mag, 16:43, "Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:
    > On 05/28/07 09:37 am Riccardo Rubini wrote:
    >
    > > A long ago, I used to rely on a program called Watchcat for process control
    > > and the like. I believe it's a long time the product isn't updated anymore,
    > > albeit it's still on sale on BMT Micro - along with other long abandoned
    > > products.

    > > I was wondering if anybody here got in touch with the authors recently, and
    > > asked if they would consider making the product OpenSource. I think it was a
    > > really valuable product and, under a GPL license, the whole ( nowadays
    > > small) OS/2 community could definitely benefit from it, expecially with an
    > > up-to-date version available.

    > > Your comments on the matter are welcome :-)

    > However, I find that the combination of CADH and TOP works well. Both
    > are on Hobbes, IIRC.

    It's the same with me here. CADH + TOP work even better, if possible,
    than Watchcat, with the added value of having CADH in Italian (thanks
    to me:-)).

    Mentore

  4. Re: WatchCat for OS/2

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

    > I asked something like this a few years ago and received a personal
    > email from somebody who claimed to know the authors of WatchCat. He
    > told me that they no longer use OS/2 and could not agree among
    > themselves about releasing it to the public domain (no question at
    > that time of open source).

    I have neither of the authors' e-mail, so I currently can't write and try to
    persuade them. I spoke once with the author of a very famous OS/2 product,
    now abandoned as well, and he told me the main reason he couldn't release
    the source code to the public domain was the number of NDA papers he had to
    sign with IBM and others. Legally it wasn't viable. Probably it's the case
    of Watchcat as well.

    Riccardo

  5. Re: WatchCat for OS/2

    Mentore wrote:

    > It's the same with me here. CADH + TOP work even better, if possible,
    > than Watchcat, with the added value of having CADH in Italian (thanks
    > to me:-)).

    I have used Watchcat and my employees - poor guys are forced to use OS/2
    against their will - have enjoyed very much your Italian translation. Now I
    know whom I have to thank for that :-)

    Riccardo

  6. Re: WatchCat for OS/2

    Riccardo Rubini wrote:
    > Mentore wrote:
    >
    >> It's the same with me here. CADH + TOP work even better, if possible,
    >> than Watchcat, with the added value of having CADH in Italian (thanks
    >> to me:-)).

    > I have used Watchcat and my employees

    Oops... I meant CADH here...

  7. Re: WatchCat for OS/2

    On 29 Mag, 11:53, "Riccardo Rubini" wrote:
    > Riccardo Rubini wrote:
    > > Mentore wrote:

    > >> It's the same with me here. CADH + TOP work even better, if possible,
    > >> than Watchcat, with the added value of having CADH in Italian (thanks
    > >> to me:-)).

    > > I have used Watchcat and my employees

    > Oops... I meant CADH here...

    I understood the same :-) Very happy to know that someone is enjoying
    our work! Sorry for Top, but indeed I don't have sources for it, nor
    it seems really useul to translate it (it's so tiny)...

    Mentore

+ Reply to Thread