New version of FM/2 (file manager) released - OS2

This is a discussion on New version of FM/2 (file manager) released - OS2 ; A package that includes FM/2 3.05.09 and a warpin installer version of the FM/2 Utilities has been released. Using warpin you can now install both FM/2 and the FM/2 utilities in one simple process. Changes include a WarpIN-based installer, enhanced ...

  1. New version of FM/2 (file manager) released

    A package that includes FM/2 3.05.09 and a warpin installer version of
    the
    FM/2 Utilities has been released. Using warpin you can now install
    both
    FM/2 and the FM/2 utilities in one simple process.

    Changes include a WarpIN-based installer, enhanced drag and drop code
    avoid problems caused by dragging large numbers of files and other bug

    fixes (see HISTORY for a more complete list).

    Other than the WarpIN installation, the Utilities themselves have not
    been updated. This new installation makes it easy to ensure that FM/2
    will be able to find the (optional) Utilities. So, if you already have
    the Utilities installed and working with FM/2 reinstalling them isn't
    necessary.

    The new FM/2 and Utilities can be found at:

    or

    <http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-sea...m2utils-1-1.zi
    p&pushbutton=Search>

    --

    John Small

    (remove the z's for email address)

  2. Re: New version of FM/2 (file manager) released

    Hi John

    John Small wrote:
    > A package that includes FM/2 3.05.09 and a warpin installer version of
    > the
    > FM/2 Utilities has been released. Using warpin you can now install
    > both
    > FM/2 and the FM/2 utilities in one simple process.

    Having just had Warpin go "belly up" for about the 4th time in a few
    months due to a "munged" ini file which contains all the data about
    installed apps I am not really looking for any Warpin wrapped apps anymore.

    Is there still a standard zip package?

    Regards

    Pete

    > Changes include a WarpIN-based installer, enhanced drag and drop code
    > avoid problems caused by dragging large numbers of files and other bug
    >
    > fixes (see HISTORY for a more complete list).
    >
    > Other than the WarpIN installation, the Utilities themselves have not
    > been updated. This new installation makes it easy to ensure that FM/2
    > will be able to find the (optional) Utilities. So, if you already have
    > the Utilities installed and working with FM/2 reinstalling them isn't
    > necessary.
    >
    > The new FM/2 and Utilities can be found at:
    >

    > or
    >
    > <http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/cgi-bin/h-sea...m2utils-1-1.zi
    > p&pushbutton=Search>

  3. Re: New version of FM/2 (file manager) released

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:13:28 UTC, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > Hi John
    >
    > John Small wrote:
    > > A package that includes FM/2 3.05.09 and a warpin installer version of
    > > the
    > > FM/2 Utilities has been released. Using warpin you can now install
    > > both
    > > FM/2 and the FM/2 utilities in one simple process.
    > >

    > Having just had Warpin go "belly up" for about the 4th time in a few
    > months due to a "munged" ini file which contains all the data about
    > installed apps I am not really looking for any Warpin wrapped apps anymore.
    >
    > Is there still a standard zip package?

    The quick answer is "no". I will ask on the FM/2 list if they would
    consider it. I can provide some manual installation instructions if
    you can't wait.

    Having used WarpIN for many years, having NEVER had a problem with the
    INI file(s), and as developer of the WarpIN install for FM/2, I am
    curious about your problem.

    Have you found the cause of this problem? Have you asked for help with
    this problem in newsgroups and/or the Netlabs Warpin-user mailing
    list?

    --

    John Small

    (remove the z's for email address)

  4. Re: New version of FM/2 (file manager) released

    Hi John

    John Small wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:13:28 UTC, Peter Brown
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi John
    >>
    >> John Small wrote:
    >>> A package that includes FM/2 3.05.09 and a warpin installer version of
    >>> the
    >>> FM/2 Utilities has been released. Using warpin you can now install
    >>> both
    >>> FM/2 and the FM/2 utilities in one simple process.
    >>>

    >> Having just had Warpin go "belly up" for about the 4th time in a few
    >> months due to a "munged" ini file which contains all the data about
    >> installed apps I am not really looking for any Warpin wrapped apps anymore.
    >>
    >> Is there still a standard zip package?

    > The quick answer is "no". I will ask on the FM/2 list if they would
    > consider it. I can provide some manual installation instructions if
    > you can't wait.
    >
    > Having used WarpIN for many years, having NEVER had a problem with the
    > INI file(s), and as developer of the WarpIN install for FM/2, I am
    > curious about your problem.

    I cannot state that the cause of the problem is Warpin.

    What happens is Warpin suddenly refuses to run and it seems to be
    because the file H:\ecs\install\warpin\DATBAS_H.INI has become
    mangled/unreadable - deleting the file lets Warpin run.

    I do have some apps that are installed on other drives and those INI
    files have not (yet) been mangled, only the file for H: suffers this
    problem (to date).

    > Have you found the cause of this problem? Have you asked for help with
    > this problem in newsgroups and/or the Netlabs Warpin-user mailing
    > list?

    I did see another post about this sort of problem somewhere... There is
    a thread on os2world.com "Warpin and java programs"
    http://www.os2world.com/component/op...3/topic,146.0/

    In that thread ChrisR expresses an opinion that the INI file gets munged
    when it gets too big.

    While composing this message I decided to try to (re)use a copy of an
    ini file that Warpin refused to work with recently. Having made a copy I
    deleted H:\ecs\install\warpin\DATBAS_H.INI and copied
    H:\ecs\install\warpin\DATBAS_H.INI.NAFF to
    H:\ecs\install\warpin\DATBAS_H.INI

    Just to confuse me further Warpin works happily with that file...

    Strange.

    This is a file that previously prevented Warpin running. Or, rather,
    when Warpin refused to run deleting this file (after making a copy with
    a .NAFF ending) allowed Warpin to run.

    Guess I ought to get a coherent problem report sent to the mailing list
    sometime soon.

    Regards

    Pete

  5. Re: New version of FM/2 (file manager) released

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 19:34:57 GMT, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > What happens is Warpin suddenly refuses to run and it seems to be
    > because the file H:\ecs\install\warpin\DATBAS_H.INI has become
    > mangled/unreadable - deleting the file lets Warpin run.

    I would like to see the file...

    > In that thread ChrisR expresses an opinion that the INI file gets munged
    > when it gets too big.

    How big is your file?

    > While composing this message I decided to try to (re)use a copy of an
    > ini file that Warpin refused to work with recently. Having made a copy I
    > deleted H:\ecs\install\warpin\DATBAS_H.INI and copied
    > H:\ecs\install\warpin\DATBAS_H.INI.NAFF to
    > H:\ecs\install\warpin\DATBAS_H.INI
    >
    > Just to confuse me further Warpin works happily with that file...
    >
    > Strange.

    Strange indeed. Seems to point away from the file itself being the source
    of the problem.

    > Guess I ought to get a coherent problem report sent to the mailing list
    > sometime soon.

    That would be a good idea.

  6. Re: New version of FM/2 (file manager) released

    On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:13:28 GMT, Peter Brown
    wrote:

    > Having just had Warpin go "belly up" for about the 4th time in a few
    > months due to a "munged" ini file which contains all the data about
    > installed apps I am not really looking for any Warpin wrapped apps anymore.

    Munged in what way? No-one else has complained of anything like that AFAIR.
    In any case, WarpIN only uses standard PM API calls for handling its INI file.

  7. Re: New version of FM/2 (file manager) released

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 May 2007 15:13:28 GMT, Peter Brown
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Having just had Warpin go "belly up" for about the 4th time in a
    >> few months due to a "munged" ini file which contains all the data
    >> about installed apps I am not really looking for any Warpin wrapped
    >> apps anymore.

    > Munged in what way? No-one else has complained of anything like that
    > AFAIR. In any case, WarpIN only uses standard PM API calls for
    > handling its INI file.

    Someone mentioned large INI files. I have found that INI files (any INI
    files, not necessarily WarpIn files) can get corrupted when the system
    runs out of shared memory. Years ago, when OS/2 was under active
    development, shared memory was not a scarce resource. These days, with
    bigger applications and probably more running in parallel, we're running
    close to the margin.

    What is needed is a change that does not require INI files to be loaded
    into low memory. Or, equivalently, a way of reading and writing INI
    files that does NOT use standard PM API calls. I started work on a
    replacement library long ago, but got sidetracked onto other jobs and
    never solved the problem of how to deal with multiple users all opening
    the same INI file.

    --
    Peter Moylan http://www.pmoylan.org
    For an e-mail address, see my web page.

  8. Re: New version of FM/2 (file manager) released

    On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:31:03 +1000, Peter Moylan
    wrote:

    > Someone mentioned large INI files. I have found that INI files (any INI
    > files, not necessarily WarpIn files) can get corrupted when the system
    > runs out of shared memory.

    Well, yes, that is true, but how is that a WarpIN problem? All the other
    system INI files get corrupted as well.

    > What is needed is a change that does not require INI files to be loaded
    > into low memory. Or, equivalently, a way of reading and writing INI
    > files that does NOT use standard PM API calls. I started work on a
    > replacement library long ago, but got sidetracked onto other jobs and
    > never solved the problem of how to deal with multiple users all opening
    > the same INI file.

    The XWP Helpers library implements INI file access without using PM. It
    does not support shared access to the file however, for much the same
    reasons. You need some sort of shared memory implementation to allow this.

    Having said that, WarpIN only allows a single instance to access the file
    at once, so it could be converted to use the replacement calls.

+ Reply to Thread