Machine down. - OS2

This is a discussion on Machine down. - OS2 ; Greetings all. Seems that my main BBS machine (Warp 4.52 FixPak 5) has decided to not boot properly. I get a blank, off center desktop with a message that would seem to indicate that PMSHELL.EXE is not loading. Hence, any ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. Machine down.

    Greetings all.

    Seems that my main BBS machine (Warp 4.52 FixPak 5) has decided to not boot
    properly.
    I get a blank, off center desktop with a message that would seem to indicate
    that PMSHELL.EXE
    is not loading. Hence, any of the stored configs (accessed by Alt F1 at
    boot) won't work; same message.
    The option to go to a command prompt stops after VDOSTCP.SYS loads and just
    sits there.

    I can boot from diskettes, but cannot do anything as the LVM is not loaded.
    Any suggestions
    on how to boot from diskette to load the LVM and its attendant files? I
    suspect that I would be
    able to load LVM from diskette if I were able to make enough space on the
    Disk 1 diskette...
    but I'm not sure what files I can safely delete other than IBM2ADSF.DMD and
    IBM2SCSI.DMD.

    I really need help on this! Any suggestions will be MUCH appreciated!

    All the best,
    Marc
    1:396/45 FidoNet

  2. Re: Machine down.

    Please! Others respond here too, OK?

    Marc wrote:

    > Greetings all.
    >
    > Seems that my main BBS machine (Warp 4.52 FixPak 5) has decided to not boot
    > properly.
    > I get a blank, off center desktop with a message that would seem to indicate
    > that PMSHELL.EXE
    > is not loading. Hence, any of the stored configs (accessed by Alt F1 at
    > boot) won't work; same message.
    > The option to go to a command prompt stops after VDOSTCP.SYS loads and just
    > sits there.
    >
    > I can boot from diskettes, but cannot do anything as the LVM is not loaded.
    > Any suggestions
    > on how to boot from diskette to load the LVM and its attendant files?

    Were these Utility Diskettes made as part of the MCP2 tool set to make
    them after you had all this installed? If so, and tested to make sure
    that the floppy diskette boot did work from them, and still no access to
    the hard disk from using a known good diskette run, that would sure
    point to possible hard drive problems to me.

    > load LVM from diskette if I were able to make enough space on the
    > Disk 1 diskette...
    > but I'm not sure what files I can safely delete other than IBM2ADSF.DMD and
    > IBM2SCSI.DMD.

    Do you have any SCSI devices? If not, all of the Adaptec SCSI drivers
    there should be able to be deleted. The later ones are HUGE in size.
    If removed, my foggy memory says to look in the snoop list to get them
    out of there as well in this escapade.

    Will the MCP2 Install CD-ROM disk boot and let you the proceed to the
    command line? If so, and you are using Unimaint, have created the
    restore desktop options and have a clean desktop archived in it, you
    then could go to the latest clean desktop there and run the restore
    command line bailout from there if the hard disk is accessible.

    If you can get to a command line operation that way which will let you
    access the hard disk, other command line tools and so on might get you
    help this way. Including the CHKDSK stuff. While you are at it, from
    this view, you might see if you suddenly have a FOUND0 directory
    somewhere. And what you need may be in it and thus not being loaded in
    the 'normal' boot run.

    If this is a video driver corruption issue, you can reset the video to
    the low level video operations from the command line this way which can
    save you in some cases. Which can then let you complete a boot run to
    perhaps work these issues out.

    I've used another trick to get to the Desktop from a command line boot
    from the 'normal' such F1 option. Simply execute PMSHELL from it
    manually by hand and the Desktop will appear. Which in some cases has
    let me clean things up from Desktop available tools.

    As a command line operation, I've never tried or known how to get a
    formal IBM roll back to a previously installed system that way! Someone
    here able to teach us both how to do that?

    If the hard disk is really a problem here, do you have a copy of DFSEE?
    If you can get to a command line from the MCP2 CD-ROM install disk, you
    ought to be able to run DFSEE from that option as a floppy diskette OS/2
    run from that. As well, you can even prepare a DOS bootable DFSEE
    floppy which can in some cases let you work with DFSEE and the hard disk
    even that way to trace and repair drive problems that it and .. as a
    registered user .. Jan may be able to help you with.

    Be aware that DFSEE for OS/2, if used from a command line booted system,
    has to have a few of the OS/2 DLL's added to that floppy diskette for it
    to run as a recovery tool that way. I can tell you which ones from mime
    and the docs for DFSEE also tell you which have to be added to the DFSEE
    OS/2 floppy to get this to work.

    As well, DFSEE will even let you clone the whole hard drive into another
    with which you can do real exploratory work without risking the loss of
    critical data that is still good on the drive.

    As a, in sort of ill-mannered Fido humor here, wurst come to wurst
    system botch issue, If you have a second system on OS/2 that is able to
    let you work with things this way, and LVM oriented, you still have the
    option to reset the drive unit and jam it in to that system as a second
    hard disk there. From which you ought to be able to work with the data
    on it for whatever. Including, wurst come to wurst .. cloning it to a
    brand new install of MCP2 to bail out.

    Wurst come to wurst can actully be tasteful if it is XCOPY
    /H/O/T/S/E/R/V style in these cases..

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  3. Re: Machine down.

    Marc wrote:
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > Seems that my main BBS machine (Warp 4.52 FixPak 5) has decided to not boot
    > properly.
    > I get a blank, off center desktop with a message that would seem to indicate
    > that PMSHELL.EXE
    > is not loading. Hence, any of the stored configs (accessed by Alt F1 at
    > boot) won't work; same message.
    > The option to go to a command prompt stops after VDOSTCP.SYS loads and just
    > sits there.

    If I understand you correctly, it gets quite a ways along in the boot
    process until the desktop starts to appear which is off-center and
    incomplete. Probably there is a problem with the .ini files. The best
    way to fix it would be to load a back up set from archives. You say
    that that does not work, however, which is puzzling since even a partial
    desktop would appear long after the archive option had passed. You
    should be able to do Alt-F1 when the OS/2 and little white blob appear
    in the upper left corner and then the recovery screen should appear and
    let you select a backup to load. Also, AFAIK PMSHELL.EXE is not used
    for the recovery screen.

    > I can boot from diskettes, but cannot do anything as the LVM is not loaded.
    > Any suggestions
    > on how to boot from diskette to load the LVM and its attendant files? I
    > suspect that I would be
    > able to load LVM from diskette if I were able to make enough space on the
    > Disk 1 diskette...
    > but I'm not sure what files I can safely delete other than IBM2ADSF.DMD and
    > IBM2SCSI.DMD.

    \

    If you have a working set of 4 utility disks, the LVM and its files
    should be on the 4th diskette. When the booting is complete (diskettes
    1 through 3) remove the 3rd diskette and put in the 4th. Then type
    'LVM' at the command prompt and the vio version of lvm should load and
    let you fiddle with the volumes. I don't think that's your problem,
    though, from what you say above.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  4. Re: Machine down.

    Marc wrote:
    > Greetings all.
    >
    > Seems that my main BBS machine (Warp 4.52 FixPak 5) has decided to not boot
    > properly.
    > I get a blank, off center desktop with a message that would seem to indicate
    > that PMSHELL.EXE

    Is it really a desktop, with your background and icons? Does it have a
    titlebar and window controls?

    > is not loading. Hence, any of the stored configs (accessed by Alt F1 at
    > boot) won't work; same message.
    > The option to go to a command prompt stops after VDOSTCP.SYS loads and just
    > sits there.

    Sounds like a DOS prompt rather than a real command prompt. You
    shouldn't be loading anything at an OS/2 prompt.

  5. Re: Machine down.

    Marc wrote:

    > Greetings all.
    >
    > Seems that my main BBS machine (Warp 4.52 FixPak 5) has decided to not
    > boot properly.
    > I get a blank, off center desktop with a message that would seem to
    > indicate that PMSHELL.EXE
    > is not loading. Hence, any of the stored configs (accessed by Alt F1 at
    > boot) won't work; same message.
    > The option to go to a command prompt stops after VDOSTCP.SYS loads and
    > just sits there.
    >
    > I can boot from diskettes, but cannot do anything as the LVM is not
    > loaded. Any suggestions
    > on how to boot from diskette to load the LVM and its attendant files? I
    > suspect that I would be
    > able to load LVM from diskette if I were able to make enough space on the
    > Disk 1 diskette...
    > but I'm not sure what files I can safely delete other than IBM2ADSF.DMD
    > and IBM2SCSI.DMD.
    >
    > I really need help on this! Any suggestions will be MUCH appreciated!

    Others have made suggestions to address what could be either .ini file
    issues OR it could be a crapped out video card. The suggestion to boot
    from the MCP install CD is the best idea, but you can also use the 3-floppy
    method and the Warp install CD to get to a command line.

    I would first attempt to boot to a command line and check for disk errors.
    As Mike suggested, once you are fairly sure that there are no glaring disk
    problems, simply run pmshell as an app from the command line. If that
    works, you are home free. If not, you can try to run from a saved
    configuration but a simpler way that preserves your desktop setup (mine
    gets dated at times ) is to go the bootup menu using alt-F1 at the boot
    blob and try booting to VGA resolution. The result is ugly, but it
    preserves every thing leaving only re-installation of your video drivers to
    recover. If you have to resort to this, I would make sure and run checkini
    and/or sleanini to get the ini files straight before re-installing.

    --
    Will Honea

  6. Re: Machine down.

    Greetings all.

    In article <4654fd35$0$503$815e3792@news.qwest.net>, whonea@yahoo.com says...
    Following up on my original post:

    >> Seems that my main BBS machine (Warp 4.52 FixPak 5) has decided to not
    >> boot properly. I get a blank, off center desktop with a message that would
    >> seem to indicate that PMSHELL.EXE is not loading. Hence, any of the stored
    >> configs (accessed by Alt F1 at boot) won't work; same message.
    >> The option to go to a command prompt stops after VDOSTCP.SYS loads and
    >> just sits there. I can boot from diskettes, but cannot do anything as the
    >> LVM is not loaded.

    The problem with the LVM was because I was utilising the wrong diskettes.
    They were for the original install of Warp 4, before MCP.

    > Others have made suggestions to address what could be either .ini file
    > issues OR it could be a crapped out video card.

    The video card seems fine - - it works well in my test machine. I do suspect,
    as you mentioned, that an .ini file (or perhaps an executable) is grunged in
    some manner.

    >I would first attempt to boot to a command line and check for disk errors.
    >As Mike suggested, once you are fairly sure that there are no glaring disk
    >problems, simply run pmshell as an app from the command line.

    I have successfully booted with the correct install floppies. I then altered
    the config.sys to include a utility that allows a drop to command prompt from
    the config.sys (works very well.) I made a new startup.cmd file that simply
    starts the network and maps network drives. Rebooted again and ran chkdsk
    again; no problem found. I started a full backup of all drives (using ZIP)
    over to one of the big drives on this windoze machine... Just in case I have
    to end up re-installing the system and/or formatting anything. It's a lengthy
    process as there are probably over 250,000 files on the various partitions.

    Running PMSHELL.EXE from the command prompt results in the exact same pop-up
    message in the middle of a blank, white background, off-center desktop:
    "Can't start the program pointed to in set runworkplace=c:\os2\pmshell.exe
    Wininitapl returns "%1"." (Quote may be _slightly_ off, but VERY close to
    that.) That wininitapl or wininitapi part is what concerns me. I don't know
    where to go next on that.

    >If that works, you are home free. If not, you can try to run from a saved
    >configuration but a simpler way that preserves your desktop setup (mine
    >gets dated at times ) is to go the bootup menu using alt-F1 at the boot
    >blob and try booting to VGA resolution.

    I've already done this, with the exact same result - a blank desktop and that
    pop-up message. I'm a bit mystified by this - from working fine one minute to
    disaster after a clean reboot.

    >The result is ugly, but it preserves every thing leaving only re-installation
    >of your video drivers to recover. If you have to resort to this, I would
    >make sure and run checkini and/or sleanini to get the ini files straight
    >before re-installing.

    I'll have to dig up a copy of that. More than likely it's in one of my OS/2
    related file areas.

    Any other suggestions will be very much welcomed!

    All the best,
    Marc
    1:396/45 FidoNet

  7. Re: Machine down.

    THIS IS A CORRECTION/FOLLOW-UP TO MY PREVIOUS ARTICLE...

    In article ,
    marclewis303@comcast dot net says...

    >Running PMSHELL.EXE from the command prompt results in the exact same pop-up
    >message in the middle of a blank, white background, off-center desktop:
    >"Can't start the program pointed to in set runworkplace=c:\os2\pmshell.exe
    >Wininitapl returns "%1"." (Quote may be _slightly_ off, but VERY close to
    >that.) That wininitapl or wininitapi part is what concerns me. I don't know
    >where to go next on that.

    NOTE: The message in a "Workplace Shell" titled box reads:

    The program pointed to by the SET
    RUNWORKPLACE= line in
    CONFIG.SYS,this file, could not be
    started. WinStartApp returned %1.

    OK Cancel

    Hitting either OK or Cancel results in a blank desktop that is completely
    unresponsive to anything other than CTRL-ALT-DEL.

    I really don't want to loose all the work I've put into the system. And it's
    literally been years since I did a re-install of OS/2; it's just never been
    necessary. A few minor/major problems over the years, but nothing serious
    enough to merit a format/reinstall or just a reinstall. Hopefully with
    you folks helping me out, this won't become necessary!

    Thanks in advance!

    All the best,
    Marc
    1:396/45 FidoNet

  8. Re: Machine down.

    No guaranties Marc ..

    Marc wrote:
    > THIS IS A CORRECTION/FOLLOW-UP TO MY PREVIOUS ARTICLE...
    >
    > In article ,
    > marclewis303@comcast dot net says...
    >> Running PMSHELL.EXE from the command prompt results in the exact same pop-up
    >> message in the middle of a blank, white background, off-center desktop:
    >> "Can't start the program pointed to in set runworkplace=c:\os2\pmshell.exe
    >> Wininitapl returns "%1"." (Quote may be _slightly_ off, but VERY close to
    >> that.) That wininitapl or wininitapi part is what concerns me. I don't know
    >> where to go next on that.

    > NOTE: The message in a "Workplace Shell" titled box reads:
    >
    > The program pointed to by the SET
    > RUNWORKPLACE= line in
    > CONFIG.SYS,this file, could not be
    > started. WinStartApp returned %1.
    >
    > OK Cancel
    >
    > Hitting either OK or Cancel results in a blank desktop that is completely
    > unresponsive to anything other than CTRL-ALT-DEL.
    >
    > I really don't want to loose all the work I've put into the system. And it's
    > literally been years since I did a re-install of OS/2; it's just never been
    > necessary. A few minor/major problems over the years, but nothing serious
    > enough to merit a format/reinstall or just a reinstall. Hopefully with
    > you folks helping me out, this won't become necessary!
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > All the best,
    > Marc
    > 1:396/45 FidoNet

    First .. using the WPT utilities the CHECKINI and CLEANINI operation just may
    save your bacon with the current .INI files. Again .. be sure you don't have a
    FOUND0 issue which really suggests that hard disk corruption may have been
    involved in this.

    Beyond that .. here's what my research shows on how to recover your desktop
    from the formal IBM archives the HARD way. From a command line operation by
    hand. I make no promises, just what I researched a long time ago. This is
    back from "Your OS/2 Warp Version 3 Consultant", by Herb Tyson, with the added
    files I dunno which go where.

    Anyone else here know where they go in the below?

    In your boot drive setup where you find the OS/2 files, you should see the
    following directory, let's say it is driver C:, thus c:\os2\archives. In that
    directory will or should be subdirectories 01, 02 and 03. I think that o1 is
    the least recent and 03 is the most recent.

    In each of those you should find some files which are identified by a NUMBER
    only. These files are really as follows:

    0 OS2.INI
    1 OS2SYS.INI
    2 CONFIG.SYS
    3 NET START REQUEST
    4 AUTOEXEC.BAT
    5 ------------- I dunno this one
    6 ------------- I dunno this one
    KEYS.$$$ ------------- I dunno this one

    As well the DESKTOP directory has your archived Desktop for that session in it
    as far as I recall.

    In the long, long ago past, I've been able at times to restore things learned
    from "Your OS/2 Warp Version 3 Consultant", adapted into version 4 from fuzzy
    memory sort of like:

    1. Go to the \OS2 directory and use the ATTRIB command to make the
    OS2*.INI files accessible:

    ATTRIB -H -S -R OS2*.INI

    2. Rename the OS2*.INI files to something (in the off chance that they
    might be useful for something):

    REN OS2*.INI XOS2*.INI

    3. Copy the archived versions over OS2.INI and OS2SYS.INI"

    COPY \OS2\ARCHIVES\03\0 \OS2\OS2.INI
    COPY \OS2\ARCHIVES\O3\1 \OS2\OS2SYS.INI

    4. Replace \CONFIG.SYS with the archive version in the archive directory
    you used in step 4:

    COPY \OS@\ARCHIVES\03\2 \CONFIG.SYS

    5. Rename the "bad" Desktop, and copy over your Desktop directory
    with the archived version in the same archive directory used in
    steps 4 and 5:

    REN \DESKTOP \XDESKTOP
    XCOPY \OS2\ARCHIVES\03\DESKTOP \Desktop /s /e

    6.) Reboot OS/2; when the graphical WPS screen appears, press
    (and hold?) Alt+Shif+F1 to prevent any possible errant programs
    from starting.

    If OS/2 stalls while the Desktop is booting, press Ctrl+Esc to see if the
    Desktop is not responding ... pup-up appears. If it does then choose either
    Enter to end it to see if the Desktop will come back. It might be necessary to
    wait a minute or longer. When and if the Desktop does boot, do an immediate
    and proper Shutdown and reboot.

    If you used the 03 and it didn't work ... well there are still 02 and 01.

    I don't think I have ever used the CHECKINI and CLEANINI game from a
    non-running Desktop, per my recall. I have no idea what will happen when you
    face the action that it needs to restart your desktop, when you are working at
    a command line level from that kind of prompt.

    And as well, I'd save a copy of the CONFIG.SYS file as some convenient name
    other file so you can get back to a command line with it if the above doesn't
    work when you try the manual restore.

    Just trying to help Marc.....

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  9. Re: Machine down.

    Hi Marc

    Marc wrote:
    > THIS IS A CORRECTION/FOLLOW-UP TO MY PREVIOUS ARTICLE...
    >
    > In article ,
    > marclewis303@comcast dot net says...
    >> Running PMSHELL.EXE from the command prompt results in the exact same pop-up
    >> message in the middle of a blank, white background, off-center desktop:
    >> "Can't start the program pointed to in set runworkplace=c:\os2\pmshell.exe
    >> Wininitapl returns "%1"." (Quote may be _slightly_ off, but VERY close to
    >> that.) That wininitapl or wininitapi part is what concerns me. I don't know
    >> where to go next on that.

    > NOTE: The message in a "Workplace Shell" titled box reads:
    >
    > The program pointed to by the SET
    > RUNWORKPLACE= line in
    > CONFIG.SYS,this file, could not be
    > started. WinStartApp returned %1.
    >
    > OK Cancel
    >
    > Hitting either OK or Cancel results in a blank desktop that is completely
    > unresponsive to anything other than CTRL-ALT-DEL.
    >
    > I really don't want to loose all the work I've put into the system. And it's
    > literally been years since I did a re-install of OS/2; it's just never been
    > necessary. A few minor/major problems over the years, but nothing serious
    > enough to merit a format/reinstall or just a reinstall. Hopefully with
    > you folks helping me out, this won't become necessary!
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >
    > All the best,
    > Marc
    > 1:396/45 FidoNet

    Either os2.ini or os2sys.ini is hosed. Check the size when booted to a
    command line (don't forget to attrib -r -s -h os2*.ini in the \os2
    directory 1st) and see if a file is missing - or just mainly missing.

    You do have a current/recent backup of both files? If not you are left
    with makeini and recreating or reinstalling apps.

    Regards

    Pete

  10. Re: Machine down.

    mike luther writes:

    >No guaranties Marc ..
    >
    >Marc wrote:

    >And as well, I'd save a copy of the CONFIG.SYS file as some convenient name
    >other file so you can get back to a command line with it if the above doesn't
    >work when you try the manual restore.

    Yes.

    >Just trying to help Marc.....

    And if all that fails there is MAKEINI in the command reference.
    Last resort thing though.

    Good luck,

    Steve N.

  11. re: Machine down.

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    Machine down. >

    > And as well, I'd save a copy of the CONFIG.SYS file as some
    > convenient name other file so you can get back to a command
    > line with it if the above doesn't work when you try the
    > manual restore.

    S> Yes.

    > Just trying to help Marc.....

    S> And if all that fails there is MAKEINI in the command
    S> reference. Last resort thing though.

    Well, the machine is FINALLY back... Here's a portion of the
    message I sent to some of my downlinks:

    -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-CUT-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

    The BBS machine went down last Monday morning. OS/2 went AWOL
    like I've never seen before. I've had some minor/major problems
    over the years with the OS/2 systems, but NOTHING like this.
    Some due to my ignorance/errors and some, well, due to
    who-knows-what. Now, after 4 full installs, it's back up and
    running. It's a LONG story, but suffice it to say, I've learned
    some valuable lessons about what happens when something gooses
    the OS2.INI files. (And that "checkini.exe" program is about a
    useless piece of junk - OS/2 has to be running for it to work,
    in spite of it being a console mode application.)

    I had posted to the comp.os.os2.misc newsgroup (COMP-OS2-MISC on
    the system in Fido format) and received various bits of advice
    on courses of repair - none of which worked. So... boot from
    floppies (another story in and of itself) and do a migrate type
    reinstall - which didn't work worth a darn. Boot from floppies
    again and delete the OS/2 related directories. Install 4.52.
    Various video problems and auxiliary program install problems -
    - - to heck with it - - repeat the delete - install routine. Up
    and running - SNAP installed and desktop looking good. Install
    Norman AV - - without first deleting the Norman directory - W R
    O N G !!!!! W R O N G!!!!! - When I realised why it wasn't
    working properly I used its Uninstall option... Say goodbye to
    OS/2 again!!! Turned the ini files into mush. Delete &
    re-install for the forth time! This time everything (just
    about) went perfect. Installed the FP5 and WR08708 and UN02334
    updates, SNAP and away we go!

    I've lost count of how many hours I've spent on this machine! I
    must be a little crazy...

    BTW, all this time, the BinkP/FTP/SMTP server on the other OS/2
    machine just kept chugging along - storing the mail faithfully
    until this machine came back up... Boy! Was that mail tosser
    busy for a while!

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  12. Re: Machine down.

    Marc Lewis wrote:

    > The BBS machine went down last Monday morning. OS/2 went AWOL
    > like I've never seen before. I've had some minor/major problems
    > over the years with the OS/2 systems, but NOTHING like this.
    > Some due to my ignorance/errors and some, well, due to
    > who-knows-what. Now, after 4 full installs, it's back up and
    > running. It's a LONG story, but suffice it to say, I've learned
    > some valuable lessons about what happens when something gooses
    > the OS2.INI files. (And that "checkini.exe" program is about a
    > useless piece of junk - OS/2 has to be running for it to work,
    > in spite of it being a console mode application.)

    Checkini.exe is not perfect but it is useful in keeping errors out of
    the .ini files. You are right, though, that it is for maintenance
    rather than recovery. Once the .ini files are unbootable, it is too
    late for checkini. If you cannot restore from archive, your only option
    is to reinstall.

    > I had posted to the comp.os.os2.misc newsgroup (COMP-OS2-MISC on
    > the system in Fido format) and received various bits of advice
    > on courses of repair - none of which worked. So... boot from
    > floppies (another story in and of itself) and do a migrate type
    > reinstall - which didn't work worth a darn. Boot from floppies
    > again and delete the OS/2 related directories. Install 4.52.
    > Various video problems and auxiliary program install problems -
    > - - to heck with it - - repeat the delete - install routine. Up
    > and running - SNAP installed and desktop looking good. Install
    > Norman AV - - without first deleting the Norman directory - W R
    > O N G !!!!! W R O N G!!!!! - When I realised why it wasn't
    > working properly I used its Uninstall option... Say goodbye to
    > OS/2 again!!! Turned the ini files into mush. Delete &
    > re-install for the forth time! This time everything (just
    > about) went perfect. Installed the FP5 and WR08708 and UN02334
    > updates, SNAP and away we go!
    >
    > I've lost count of how many hours I've spent on this machine! I
    > must be a little crazy...

    Good that you've got the machine running again but...you still don't
    know what crapped up the .ini files and, until you know the cause, you
    should PLAN on the same thing happening again. Therefore, before you do
    another thing, make sure you figure out how to 1) save an archived copy
    of the desktop and 2) restore the desktop from archives. If you have an
    archived copy, you can avoid all of the reinstalling above and just
    restore the desktop from archive with a known good version, if the .ini
    files get messed up, until you figure out what is fouling them up. Also,
    once you get the archiving working, DON'T make a backup on every boot
    because if your .ini files are getting corrupted gradually, then the
    archived copies will not be much better than the corrupted ones, except
    they will still be bootable. Only make a backup when you make a
    significant change in the desktop.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  13. re: Machine down.

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    regarding Re: Machine down. >

    ml> some valuable lessons about what happens when something
    ml> gooses the OS2.INI files. (And that "checkini.exe" program
    ml> is about a useless piece of junk - OS/2 has to be running
    ml> for it to work, in spite of it being a console mode
    ml> application.)

    DTJ> Checkini.exe is not perfect but it is useful in keeping
    DTJ> errors out of the .ini files. You are right, though,
    DTJ> that it is for maintenance rather than recovery.

    That wasn't clear to me, as I'd never used it before. From the
    impression I got, it was almost a cure-all for .ini file
    problems. Live and learn.

    DTJ> Once the .ini files are unbootable, it is too late for
    DTJ> checkini. If you cannot restore from archive, your only
    DTJ> option is to reinstall.

    As I have realised - almost painfully.

    ml> I've lost count of how many hours I've spent on this
    ml> machine! I must be a little crazy...

    DTJ> Good that you've got the machine running again but...you
    DTJ> still don't know what crapped up the .ini files and,
    DTJ> until you know the cause, you should PLAN on the same
    DTJ> thing happening again. Therefore, before you do another
    DTJ> thing, make sure you figure out how to 1) save an archived
    DTJ> copy of the desktop and 2) restore the desktop from
    DTJ> archives.

    I have installed DTBACKUP and utilised it on this fresh, running
    install. Not only does it back up the Desktop, but the .ini
    files as well. It has an auxiliary program when it comes time to
    restore the stuff. I'm hoping this will be a good adjunct to
    the full zipped drive backups I've taken to doing now.

    I've also put the CMDBOOT utility to use in the config.sys.
    Rather neat little program that stops the load of the desktop
    and drops to a command line prompt. Handy if there's something
    wrong with the video or other program that start with the
    desktop. Obviously, if the .ini files are fouled beyond
    booting, it is not of any use. But it allows me to start and
    log into the network from the command line and navigate
    somewhat.

    While we're on the subject I have some semi-related questions:

    Is there a way to have OS/2 store more than 3 sets of archived
    desktop/ini file combinations that would be available from Alt
    F1 at boot?

    Is there a master program version file (like SETVER in DOS) that
    can be altered? Object is to set certain programs I use quite
    frequently in VDMs to operate properly under OS/2 DOS. I see
    the defaults that come up in the program DOS properties
    notebook, all of which are useless to me - I'd like to alter
    that default group.

    DTJ> Also, once you get the archiving working, DON'T make a
    DTJ> backup on every boot because if your .ini files are
    DTJ> getting corrupted gradually, then the archived copies
    DTJ> will not be much better than the corrupted ones, except
    DTJ> they will still be bootable. Only make a backup when you
    DTJ> make a significant change in the desktop.

    Noted. I really didn't realise that OS/2 .ini files were
    subject to a degradation similar to the Windoze registry; But I
    suppose that anything GUI based with various types of programs
    being employed to install/uninstall applications, it would
    almost be guaranteed. Somewhere down the line a significant
    degradation will foul the booting of the system.

    Thanks to you and all the others for the advice...

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+

    ... Oxymoron: Computer security
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  14. Re: Machine down.

    Marc Lewis wrote:

    > I have installed DTBACKUP and utilised it on this fresh, running
    > install. Not only does it back up the Desktop, but the .ini
    > files as well. It has an auxiliary program when it comes time to
    > restore the stuff. I'm hoping this will be a good adjunct to
    > the full zipped drive backups I've taken to doing now.

    I've always just used the archiving built into OS/2 for desktop restore
    and it has always done the job. For sure, you should actually test the
    DTBACKUP by restoring from archive to be sure it actually will do it.
    Better to find out how it works now before you need it for real.

    > I've also put the CMDBOOT utility to use in the config.sys.
    > Rather neat little program that stops the load of the desktop
    > and drops to a command line prompt. Handy if there's something
    > wrong with the video or other program that start with the
    > desktop. Obviously, if the .ini files are fouled beyond
    > booting, it is not of any use. But it allows me to start and
    > log into the network from the command line and navigate
    > somewhat.
    >
    > While we're on the subject I have some semi-related questions:
    >
    > Is there a way to have OS/2 store more than 3 sets of archived
    > desktop/ini file combinations that would be available from Alt
    > F1 at boot?

    No. There are other backup programs that will make as many desktop
    backups as you want but I've never used any of them and I don't think
    any of them are sold any more.

    > Is there a master program version file (like SETVER in DOS) that
    > can be altered? Object is to set certain programs I use quite
    > frequently in VDMs to operate properly under OS/2 DOS. I see
    > the defaults that come up in the program DOS properties
    > notebook, all of which are useless to me - I'd like to alter
    > that default group.

    You can change the default settings by right clicking on the DOS command
    prompt object, selecting properties, selecting the 'session' tab,
    selecting the 'DOS properties' button, and then changing whatever you
    want the new default to be. Or, you can just change the settings for
    each individual dos program object by right clicking on it, selecting
    properties, session, DOS properties, and changing the settings for just
    that program. In either case, you can set a particular dos emulation
    version for any particular app with the DOS_VERSION setting.

    > DTJ> Also, once you get the archiving working, DON'T make a
    > DTJ> backup on every boot because if your .ini files are
    > DTJ> getting corrupted gradually, then the archived copies
    > DTJ> will not be much better than the corrupted ones, except
    > DTJ> they will still be bootable. Only make a backup when you
    > DTJ> make a significant change in the desktop.
    >
    > Noted. I really didn't realise that OS/2 .ini files were
    > subject to a degradation similar to the Windoze registry; But I
    > suppose that anything GUI based with various types of programs
    > being employed to install/uninstall applications, it would
    > almost be guaranteed. Somewhere down the line a significant
    > degradation will foul the booting of the system.

    The .ini files can work okay for years without any attention or they can
    be problematic, depending on the apps you are using. The apps are
    allowed to write to the .ini files and they can trash them up if they
    are poorly implemented. The worst thing I ever saw for that was this
    Wordperfect 6.1 supplement thing that Wordperfect put out called the
    'OS/2 Compatibility Tools' which was a set of workplace shell classes
    that didn't do anything particularly useful but gradually corrupted the
    extended attributes of a lot of important files. The Wordperfect 6.1
    was okay on OS/2 but the 'OS/2 Compatibility Tools' must have been done
    in a hurry and had some serious problems. You should run the
    checkini.exe tool (or a similiar tool) every month or so to keep things
    cleaned up.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  15. Re: Machine down.

    Sir:

    Marc Lewis wrote:

    > Is there a way to have OS/2 store more than 3 sets of archived
    > desktop/ini file combinations that would be available from Alt
    > F1 at boot?

    I've added this to my config.sys:
    CALL=C:\OS2\ATTRIB.EXE -R -S -H C:\OS2\OS2*
    REM *** OLDEST BACKUP INI********
    CALL=C:\OS2\XCOPY.EXE C:\OS2\OS2*.INX C:\OS2\OS2*.INY
    REM ***NEXT OLDEST BACKUP INI*****
    CALL=C:\OS2\XCOPY.EXE C:\OS2\OS2*.INW C:\OS2\OS2*.INX
    REM ****LAST GOOD BACKUP INI **********
    CALL=C:\OS2\XCOPY.EXE C:\OS2\OS2*.INV C:\OS2\OS2*.INW
    REM ****THIS IS A COPY OF THE CURRENT INI************
    CALL=C:\OS2\XCOPY.EXE C:\OS2\OS2*.INI C:OS2\OS2*.INV
    ----
    The purpose of this is to create a set of running copies of the ini
    files for the desktop. If one is bad, this gives you two chances to
    realize that the desktop is not going to come up and go to a command
    line boot and nuke the bad ini files and restore the previous working
    ini files (do them in pairs). This suggestion came from the Warp 3 user
    guide. I suggest this as gradual change will creep up on oneself and
    your last full archive of the system is way old. Needed to do this just
    a few minutes ago.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  16. Re: Machine down.

    In <135nbeld8ak7u23@corp.supernews.com>, on 05/29/2007
    at 04:36 AM, mike luther said:

    >I then use the backup tool in the UNIMAINT package to archive the desktop.

    It's also an excellent way to migrate a desktop selectively to a new
    install.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  17. Re: Machine down.

    In <135nc8g60qvv665@corp.supernews.com>, on 05/28/2007
    at 09:50 PM, "David T. Johnson" said:

    >No. There are other backup programs that will make as many desktop
    >backups as you want but I've never used any of them and I don't think
    > any of them are sold any more.

    Are you sure that Unimaint is off the market?

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  18. re: Machine down.

    In article <000751a9@net396.fidonet.org>
    Marc.Lewis@p0.f45.n396.z1[.]fidonet[.]org "Marc Lewis" writes:

    > [...] (And that "checkini.exe" program is about a useless
    > piece of junk - OS/2 has to be running for it to work, in spite
    > of it being a console mode application.)
    >
    > [...]

    Marc, that really is a grossly unfair dismissal of a tool many
    OS/2 users have found extremely useful over the years. To say
    it is junk because OS/2 has to be running for it to work is on
    a par with claiming a car engine ignition strobe light is use-
    less because the car engine has to be running. The proper use
    of each tool is part of your skill set. Blaming CHECKINI in a
    fit of pique as you did says more about you than it.

    FWIW, the commonest use of CHECKINI is in ongoing maintenance.

    I hesitate to mention another popular tool, in case you squeal
    indignantly that it's, I dunno, the wrong colour; but there is
    also CLEANINI.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  19. Re: Machine down.

    On Tue, 29 May 2007 10:23:36 UTC, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
    wrote:

    -> In <135nc8g60qvv665@corp.supernews.com>, on 05/28/2007
    -> at 09:50 PM, "David T. Johnson" said:
    ->
    -> >No. There are other backup programs that will make as many desktop
    -> >backups as you want but I've never used any of them and I don't think
    -> > any of them are sold any more.
    ->
    -> Are you sure that Unimaint is off the market?
    ->

    Though it hasn't been updated in a long time, Unimaint is still
    available from BMT Micro, and it still works with even eCS 2.0. Its
    author, Jim Read is extremely helpful.
    http://www.filestar.com/pages/unimaint.html

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2006, Windsor, Ontario, Canada, Oct 12-15, 2006 -
    http://www.warpstock.org

  20. Re: Machine down.

    In , on 05/29/2007
    at 09:11 AM, "Mark Dodel" said:

    >Though it hasn't been updated in a long time, Unimaint is still
    >available from BMT Micro,

    Good; it's indispensible for me, and I'm glad that it's still an
    option for others.

    >Its author, Jim Read is extremely helpful.

    I know.