Ubuntu sucks - OS2

This is a discussion on Ubuntu sucks - OS2 ; rafe wrote: > to return to the thread subject: I ended up blowing away ubuntu in > favor of SUSE 10.2. *maybe I am a MS patsy, but SUSE seems light-years > ahead, and ZEN seems to work a little ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 23 of 23

  1. Re: Ubuntu sucks

    rafe wrote:

    > to return to the thread subject: I ended up blowing away ubuntu in
    > favor of SUSE 10.2. *maybe I am a MS patsy, but SUSE seems light-years
    > ahead, and ZEN seems to work a little better.

    Same rationale for moving - but while you may like Zen, just wait until it
    bites you in the butt! CPU hog and flakey, it's gone from the 10.3
    version. SMART id supposed to be good, but the stodgy old YAST way has
    been the most reliable for me.

    --
    Will Honea

  2. Re: Ubuntu sucks

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:58:33 -0000, rafe wrote:

    :>On Aug 10, 11:30 am, rafe wrote:
    :>> On Aug 8, 2:40 pm, "Pete" wrote:
    :>>
    :>>
    :>>
    :>> > On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 16:33:00 UTC, rafe wrote:
    :>> > > On Jun 12, 8:42 am, Felix Miata
    :>>
    :>> > --snip--
    :>>
    :>> > Looked at ubuntu by running it off the CD but was never impressed enough
    :>> > to install it.
    :>>
    :>> > > but -- that's actually not why I'm posting: I'm about to take delivery
    :>> > > of a new little box
    :>>
    :>> > >http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856110057
    :>>
    :>> > > on which I plan to install some flavor of Linux, plus XP, and might
    :>> > > even someday take a crack at with ecs 1.2. I'll partition with DFSee,
    :>> > > then install ubuntu (hopefully), then XP.
    :>>
    :>> > --snip--
    :>>
    :>> > Having set up a couple of boxes with OS2, DOS6.22, W98, XP, and Linux
    :>> > (one of then with both red hat and suse), I recommend creating all the
    :>> > partitions you're going to need at the outset because creating them
    :>> > later can render XP incapable of booting on account of teh resulting
    :>> > changes the partioning enumeration within XP. It's possible to fix this
    :>> > by editing boot.ini manually, but it can be a pain. Use IBM's Boot
    :>> > Manager, GRUB (not lilo), and put GRUB in the linux /boot directory.
    :>> > Don't let any partitioning tools other than DFSee tinker with the MBR
    :>> > and partition tables.
    :>>
    :>> > HTH,
    :>> > Pete
    :>>
    :>> > --
    :>>
    :>> I think it used grub. unfortunately after I selected guided
    :>> partitioning, it more or less took off and that was that, so I don't
    :>> really know. it's my secondary machine that I use mostly for the
    :>> iPod, archiving photos (I have to use the Nikon s/w as well as
    :>> Photoshop), and burning CDs.
    :>>
    :>> I just put ubuntu on yesterday, and after an hour I couldn't say I
    :>> prefer it to SUSE, not by a long shot -- though YAST sometimes takes
    :>> my lifetime, in fact none of the package handlers people have put
    :>> together for SUSE has really does everything right. I wanted to try
    :>> ubuntu out, see if someday I could make it do, but I haven't seen how
    :>> yet. (have never figured out how to get decent screen resolution out
    :>> of either distro, maybe I'm missing something.) haven't seen anything
    :>> to impel me off OS/2, really, and won't look much harder unless Dosbox
    :>> gets much better.
    :>>
    :>> if someone would buy Snap, that would be pretty good. this is really
    :>> quite a nifty little system, I wish I could get OS/2 running on it.
    :>
    :>
    :>to return to the thread subject: I ended up blowing away ubuntu in
    :>favor of SUSE 10.2. maybe I am a MS patsy, but SUSE seems light-years
    :>ahead, and ZEN seems to work a little better.

    If you have partitions enough, why not try Mandriva 2007.1 ("spring"). Its
    package manager is quite good nowadays.

    Mat Nieuwenhoven

  3. Re: Ubuntu sucks

    On Sep 3, 1:08 pm, "Mat Nieuwenhoven"
    wrote:

    > If you have partitions enough, why not try Mandriva 2007.1 ("spring"). Its
    > package manager is quite good nowadays.
    >
    > Mat Nieuwenhoven

    I may do that someday if I get some time and can straighten out my
    partitioning on my main box, especially since Jan van Wijk just sort
    of recommended it.

    alas, nothing makes me look forward to ever having to ditch OS/2.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2