killing a process? - OS2

This is a discussion on killing a process? - OS2 ; I've been trying to format an external USB hard drive using DFSee, and ran into a problem I had earlier with a USB thumb drive. After format- ting it FAT32, ejecting the drive, then re-inserting it, a small window pops ...

  1. killing a process?

    I've been trying to format an external USB hard drive using DFSee, and
    ran into a problem I had earlier with a USB thumb drive. After format-
    ting it FAT32, ejecting the drive, then re-inserting it, a small window
    pops up telling me that Drive K: was inserted. So far, so good. But LVM
    still appears minimized in the Xworkplace menu bar, and stays there. Re-
    storing it as a window shows a blank, and I can't kill it.

    If I don't touch LVM but try to start DFSee, I see the message:
    'Physical disk 1 = PD1 is not accessible (locked)'
    and that too won't die, using either TOP or the WXtask plugin for Xwork-
    place. TOP indicates that LVM uses very little CPU time, while SYSINIT
    uses most of it.

    Restarting the desktop leaves LVM, or DFSee, and its window untouched.

    If I try to eject drive K:, I get a 'SYS0005: Access is denied'. And if
    I simply unplug the USB connector, the whole system freezes solid, forc-
    ing a hard reset.

    Any suggestions how I can get the drive to register so I can use DFSee on
    it again? Thanks.

    - Dushan Mitrovich

  2. Re: killing a process?

    In article
    anti@spamming.org "Dushan Mitrovich" writes:

    > Restarting the desktop leaves LVM, or DFSee, and its window
    > untouched.

    I can't advise on the rest of your question but do you have that
    popular line (or similar)
    SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY,REBOOTONLY
    in CONFIG.SYS? (If you already know about this one, okay.)
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  3. Re: killing a process?

    Hi Dushan

    Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    > I've been trying to format an external USB hard drive using DFSee, and
    > ran into a problem I had earlier with a USB thumb drive. After format-
    > ting it FAT32, ejecting the drive, then re-inserting it, a small window
    > pops up telling me that Drive K: was inserted. So far, so good. But LVM
    > still appears minimized in the Xworkplace menu bar, and stays there. Re-
    > storing it as a window shows a blank, and I can't kill it.
    >
    > If I don't touch LVM but try to start DFSee, I see the message:
    > 'Physical disk 1 = PD1 is not accessible (locked)'
    > and that too won't die, using either TOP or the WXtask plugin for Xwork-
    > place. TOP indicates that LVM uses very little CPU time, while SYSINIT
    > uses most of it.
    >
    > Restarting the desktop leaves LVM, or DFSee, and its window untouched.
    >
    > If I try to eject drive K:, I get a 'SYS0005: Access is denied'. And if
    > I simply unplug the USB connector, the whole system freezes solid, forc-
    > ing a hard reset.
    >
    > Any suggestions how I can get the drive to register so I can use DFSee on
    > it again? Thanks.
    >
    > - Dushan Mitrovich

    I had a rather strange time trying to fat32 format a USB drive myself
    and ran into similar problems as above.

    To get around the problem I rebooted with the drive still attached and
    unplugged it before the usbresmgr.sys file loaded.

    When the Desktop was ready I attached the drive and then used LVM on it
    again to delete the existing partition and then recreate the partition.

    After saving and exiting LVM I then formatted it jfs (hpfs will do as well).

    Checked the disk works OK: did some file copying in both directions and
    attached and ejected a couple of times.

    Then I used DFSee to reformat it as fat32 - not sure if I had to change
    the Partition Type to fat32 as well; it is possible that DFSee did that
    automatically but you should check that.

    I then quit DFSee and ejected the disk, attached it again and could
    write and read from it OK.

    I did find fat32 rather slow and went back to using jfs as this disk
    does not need to be shared between OSes.

    Hope the above is of help

    Pete

  4. Re: killing a process?

    On Wed, 16 May 2007 17:21:06 -0700, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    > I've been trying to format an external USB hard drive using DFSee, and
    > ran into a problem I had earlier with a USB thumb drive. After format-
    > ting it FAT32, ejecting the drive, then re-inserting it, a small window
    > pops up telling me that Drive K: was inserted. So far, so good. But LVM
    > still appears minimized in the Xworkplace menu bar, and stays there. Re-
    > storing it as a window shows a blank, and I can't kill it.
    >
    > If I don't touch LVM but try to start DFSee, I see the message:
    > 'Physical disk 1 = PD1 is not accessible (locked)'

    You will get that while LVM is running.

    The problem is that LVM is not returning from the Rediscover_PRMs
    function, thereby seeming to hang while it waits. Since LVM locks
    exclusive access to the volume manager, you won't be able to run DFSee or
    any other program that goes through OS2LVM.DMD in the meantime.

    Some large USB drives can take a LONG time for the rediscover function to
    return. How long did you wait? Try 20-30 minutes before assuming it's
    stuck.

    If you're still out of luck, try disabling the auto-rediscover daemon
    (should be in the startup folder) and rebooting, then using DFSee to
    examine the disk.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  5. Re: killing a process?

    Alex Taylor wrote:
    >On Wed, 16 May 2007 17:21:06 -0700, Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    >> I've been trying to format an external USB hard drive using DFSee, and
    >> ran into a problem I had earlier with a USB thumb drive. After format-
    >> ting it FAT32, ejecting the drive, then re-inserting it, a small window
    >> pops up telling me that Drive K: was inserted. So far, so good. But LVM
    >> still appears minimized in the Xworkplace menu bar, and stays there. Re-
    >> storing it as a window shows a blank, and I can't kill it.
    >>
    >> If I don't touch LVM but try to start DFSee, I see the message:
    >> 'Physical disk 1 = PD1 is not accessible (locked)'

    > You will get that while LVM is running.
    >
    > The problem is that LVM is not returning from the Rediscover_PRMs
    > function, thereby seeming to hang while it waits. Since LVM locks
    > exclusive access to the volume manager, you won't be able to run DFSee
    > or any other program that goes through OS2LVM.DMD in the meantime.
    >
    > Some large USB drives can take a LONG time for the rediscover function to
    > return. How long did you wait? Try 20-30 minutes before assuming it's
    > stuck.
    >
    > If you're still out of luck, try disabling the auto-rediscover daemon
    > (should be in the startup folder) and rebooting, then using DFSee to
    > examine the disk.

    Alex, thanks, you hit the nail on the head.

    By accident I discovered that after leaving one of those 'stuck' windows
    for some while and doing something else, the window was unstuck when I
    came back to it. This clued me that I wasn't waiting long enough. Your
    ballpark of 20-30 minutes was on the money -- the hard disk is 80 GB in
    size.

    Peter Brown wrote:
    > I had a rather strange time trying to fat32 format a USB drive myself
    > and ran into similar problems as above.
    >
    > To get around the problem I rebooted with the drive still attached and
    > unplugged it before the usbresmgr.sys file loaded.
    >
    > When the Desktop was ready I attached the drive and then used LVM on it
    > again to delete the existing partition and then recreate the partition.
    >
    > After saving and exiting LVM I then formatted it jfs (hpfs will do as
    > well).
    >
    > Checked the disk works OK: did some file copying in both directions and
    > attached and ejected a couple of times.
    >
    > Then I used DFSee to reformat it as fat32 - not sure if I had to change
    > the Partition Type to fat32 as well; it is possible that DFSee did that
    > automatically but you should check that.
    >
    > I then quit DFSee and ejected the disk, attached it again and could
    > write and read from it OK.
    >
    > I did find fat32 rather slow and went back to using jfs as this disk
    > does not need to be shared between OSes.
    >
    > Hope the above is of help

    Pete, going to JFS would be exactly what I'd do, if I didn't need to have
    the partition also readable by other OSs. What I'm trying to do is copy
    files and directories from my eCS computer to eCS and Linux virtual ma-
    chines on a Mac Pro. FAT32 seems to be the common denominator for larger
    disks.

    But I don't need that big a disk, especially with the ridiculous time
    penalty, so I'm going to shrink the partition to 2 GB and use that.

    .... well, I'm going to use that as soon as I figure out how to get the VM
    OSs to recognize these DFSee-prepared USB drives (3 thumb drives and 1 HD).
    They work in the original eCS computer, and are read fine by the Mac's OS
    X, but when attached to either VM they never show up. This is unlike the
    64 MB Kingston USB thumb drive, which has worked fine everywhere. But its
    small size is pretty restrictive.

    Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    > I can't advise on the rest of your question but do you have that
    > popular line (or similar)
    > SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY,REBOOTONLY
    > in CONFIG.SYS? (If you already know about this one, okay.)

    Actually, RexxAutoStart replaced that line with
    SET RESTARTOBJECTS=no

    Thanks for all your answers. Now just one more hurdle...

    - Dushan

  6. Re: killing a process?

    Hi Dushan

    Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
> [...]

    >> Hope the above is of help

    > Pete, going to JFS would be exactly what I'd do, if I didn't need to have
    > the partition also readable by other OSs. What I'm trying to do is copy
    > files and directories from my eCS computer to eCS and Linux virtual ma-
    > chines on a Mac Pro. FAT32 seems to be the common denominator for larger
    > disks.
    >
    > But I don't need that big a disk, especially with the ridiculous time
    > penalty, so I'm going to shrink the partition to 2 GB and use that.
    >
    > ... well, I'm going to use that as soon as I figure out how to get the VM
    > OSs to recognize these DFSee-prepared USB drives (3 thumb drives and 1 HD).
    > They work in the original eCS computer, and are read fine by the Mac's OS
    > X, but when attached to either VM they never show up. This is unlike the
    > 64 MB Kingston USB thumb drive, which has worked fine everywhere. But its

    Does the VM software support USB? - Virtual PC for OS/2 does not but it
    is always possible to network to shared drives ie attach drive in eCS
    and share it, start VPC and "network" to the host eCS system to access
    the drive.

    Regards

    Pete

    > Andrew Stephenson wrote:
    >> I can't advise on the rest of your question but do you have that
    >> popular line (or similar)
    >> SET RESTARTOBJECTS=STARTUPFOLDERSONLY,REBOOTONLY
    >> in CONFIG.SYS? (If you already know about this one, okay.)

    > Actually, RexxAutoStart replaced that line with
    > SET RESTARTOBJECTS=no
    >

    > Thanks for all your answers. Now just one more hurdle...
    >
    > - Dushan

  7. Re: killing a process?

    Hi Pete,

    Peter Brown wrote:
    >Dushan Mitrovich wrote:
    >> ... well, I'm going to use that as soon as I figure out how to get the VM
    >> OSs to recognize these DFSee-prepared USB drives (3 thumb drives and 1 HD).
    >> They work in the original eCS computer, and are read fine by the Mac's OS
    >> X, but when attached to either VM they never show up. This is unlike the
    >> 64 MB Kingston USB thumb drive, which has worked fine everywhere. But its
    >> small size is pretty restrictive.

    > Does the VM software support USB? - Virtual PC for OS/2 does not but it
    > is always possible to network to shared drives ie attach drive in eCS
    > and share it, start VPC and "network" to the host eCS system to access
    > the drive.

    The Parallels VM does support USB -- at least some of it, since my
    Kingston 64 MB thumb drive works fine everywhere, including within the
    VMs. I suspect it's some detail in the MBR that's different in the
    re-formatted ones, but don't know what. I sent Jan van Wijk a message
    asking if he has some suggestions (he's getting a MacBook Pro). He'll
    probably find a solution

    The networking idea is very attractive, but I'm a near-total ignoramous
    regarding networking, never having done it myself. Chuck McKinnis was
    kind enough to set up my new DSL connection so both computers can use it,
    but that's as far as I've had time to get. As soon as the present fire
    is out I'm going to learn more about it.

    - Dushan

+ Reply to Thread