PCI riser card - OS2

This is a discussion on PCI riser card - OS2 ; Hello all. Do someone of you use some kind of riser card into your PC? I would like to know if this tool can be useful under OS/2 or eCS. I have a rather new nVidia motherboard, with only two ...

  1. PCI riser card

    Hello all.

    Do someone of you use some kind of riser card into your PC? I would
    like to know if this tool can be useful under OS/2 or eCS.

    I have a rather new nVidia motherboard, with only two PCI slots, both
    used: I'm thinking about buying a riser card to install a network
    card.

    Thanks all...
    Mentore Siesto
    Team OS/2 Italia

  2. Re: PCI riser card

    Mentore wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > Do someone of you use some kind of riser card into your PC? I would
    > like to know if this tool can be useful under OS/2 or eCS.
    >
    > I have a rather new nVidia motherboard, with only two PCI slots, both
    > used: I'm thinking about buying a riser card to install a network
    > card.

    I would think that the riser card you put in there would work okay but
    the PCI cards you plugged into he riser card would have to share
    whatever IRQ the motherboard gave to the slot that the riser card was
    plugged into. Some of the riser cards plug into two motherboard PCI
    slots to help with the IRQ sharing issues so it makes a difference what
    you get. Let us know how it works.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  3. Re: PCI riser card

    On 10 Mag, 17:19, "David T. Johnson" wrote:
    > Mentore wrote:
    > > Hello all.

    > > Do someone of you use some kind of riser card into your PC? I would
    > > like to know if this tool can be useful under OS/2 or eCS.

    > > I have a rather new nVidia motherboard, with only two PCI slots, both
    > > used: I'm thinking about buying a riser card to install a network
    > > card.

    > I would think that the riser card you put in there would work okay but
    > the PCI cards you plugged into he riser card would have to share
    > whatever IRQ the motherboard gave to the slot that the riser card was
    > plugged into. Some of the riser cards plug into two motherboard PCI
    > slots to help with the IRQ sharing issues so it makes a difference what
    > you get. Let us know how it works.

    The IRQ sharing issue was one of my concerns. The other is wether
    signals, power, and grounds would still be fine with this 'kludge':
    it's not so frequent to see such a thing into a common PC, even if
    Dell, HP and others use them.

    Should ACPI do its work fine, IRQ might be no problem, I think. Now to
    the electrical issues... I think I'm gonna try one and see what
    happens.

    Thanks, David.
    Mentore

+ Reply to Thread