System peculiarities... - OS2

This is a discussion on System peculiarities... - OS2 ; + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45 Hello All. Last week my BBS machine suffered from a bad memory stick... corrupted zip files and that sort of garbage. It's a 550MHz Intel Copamine (sp?) processor. Unit had 2x128M PC133 sticks originally. Replaced ...

  1. System peculiarities...

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello All.

    Last week my BBS machine suffered from a bad memory stick... corrupted zip
    files and that sort of garbage. It's a 550MHz Intel Copamine (sp?) processor.
    Unit had 2x128M PC133 sticks originally. Replaced both with 2x256M PC133. No
    other changes, either hardware nor software-wise.

    Now I am running into a minor problem copying files to/from a networked OS/2
    machine. The copy is successful, but very substantially SLOWER than before. It
    seems to be about the same in either a VDM or straight OS/2 (under 4OS2 as a
    command processor). Network settings haven't changed, nor has any hardware or
    software on the other OS/2 Warp 4.52 machine. Both are running under FP6.
    Likewise copies initiated from the OTHER machine TO the BBS machine are
    noticably slower. Copies to/from drives on the BBS machine are very fast; only
    across the network have the copies slowed down. The network is pretty much
    standard OS/2; no oddball protocols or other addendums to it, just standard
    OS/2 Netbios and NetBEUI.

    Further info: The OS/2 DOS COPY command no longer works on either OS/2
    machine. No matter what size file is copied or where it's copied to/from this
    error pops up:

    -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-CUT-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
    D:\>copy ALLFILES.45 W:\WORK
    SYS0008: There is not enough memory available to process this command.
    All available memory is in use.
    1 file(s) copied.
    (Though no file is actually copied in most cases.)
    -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-CUT-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

    (In VDMs I utilise Patriquin's PCOPY instead (always have), but it also runs
    into network errors when copying large files. Even small files (less than 1
    Meg. for example) take a LONG time to copy across machines, regardless of
    direction.)

    Do you think that perhaps 1/2 Gig of memory is too much for this machine or is
    there perhaps some undocumented problem with FP6beta. If the problem lies in
    the FixPak, how would I roll back to an earlier version?

    UNRELATED QUESTION:

    In the standard OS/2 DOS AUTOEXEC.BAT, what does the line:
    "LOADHIGH APPEND C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM" (immediately after the PATH statement.)
    do ?

    Any help on these items will be VERY much appreciated!

    Best regards,
    Marc

    ... If thine enemy offend thee, give his child a drum.
    -+- timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  2. Re: System peculiarities...

    Marc Lewis wrote:
    > -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-CUT-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
    > D:\>copy ALLFILES.45 W:\WORK
    > SYS0008: There is not enough memory available to process this command.
    > All available memory is in use.
    > 1 file(s) copied.
    > (Though no file is actually copied in most cases.)
    > -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-CUT-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

    I am pretty sure that this is part of your problem.

    Are the new memory modules recognized correctly? If their page size is
    too big for the main board only a quarter or less of their size might be
    recognized.

    > Do you think that perhaps 1/2 Gig of memory is too much for this machine or is
    > there perhaps some undocumented problem with FP6beta. If the problem lies in
    > the FixPak, how would I roll back to an earlier version?

    The CSF utility will give you that choice.

    Marcel

  3. re: System peculiarities...

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    message to All regarding Re: System peculiarities... >

    > -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-CUT-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
    > D:\>copy ALLFILES.45 W:\WORK
    > SYS0008: There is not enough memory available to process this command.
    > All available memory is in use.
    > 1 file(s) copied.
    > (Though no file is actually copied in most cases.)
    > -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-CUT-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

    =M> I am pretty sure that this is part of your problem.

    Indeed is was...

    =M> Are the new memory modules recognized correctly? If their
    =M> page size is too big for the main board only a quarter or
    =M> less of their size might be recognized.

    Yes, no problem with the board recognising the memory. It's a
    good IBM board and its BIOS is up to date.

    > Do you think that perhaps 1/2 Gig of memory is too much for
    > this machine or is there perhaps some undocumented problem
    > with FP6beta.

    The problem (at least the greatest majority of it) was FixPak 6
    beta. Apparently there are quite a few things (like the
    OS/2-DOS COPY command) that are broken. It was in fact a beta
    and not downloaded from the IBM site. I read up and backed the
    FixPak out and left the machine at FixPak 3 level. Then I
    installed FixPak 5 (obtained from IBM). Works _MUCH_ better!
    Did it to both my Warp 4.52 machines. Slick as butter now. :-)

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  4. Re: System peculiarities...

    "Marc Lewis" writes:

    >UNRELATED QUESTION:
    >
    >In the standard OS/2 DOS AUTOEXEC.BAT, what does the line:
    >"LOADHIGH APPEND C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM" (immediately after the PATH statement.)
    >do ?
    >
    >Any help on these items will be VERY much appreciated!

    Hi Marc,

    These are DOS commands. LOADHIGH loads a program/driver into
    high memory to free up low (conventional 640k limited) memory.
    APPEND is like a PATH command for data access. PATH to show
    where to search for programs, APPEND for data. In my experience
    it does not seem to work very well.

    HTH,

    Steve N.

  5. re: System peculiarities...

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    Re: System peculiarities... >

    S> "Marc Lewis" writes:

    >UNRELATED QUESTION:
    >In the standard OS/2 DOS AUTOEXEC.BAT, what does the line:
    > "LOADHIGH APPEND C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM" (immediately after the
    > PATH statement.) do ?
    >
    >Any help on these items will be VERY much appreciated!

    S> These are DOS commands. LOADHIGH loads a program/driver
    S> into high memory to free up low (conventional 640k limited)
    S> memory.

    I'm aware of that part, having grown up in DOS/DesqVIEW world
    for quite a few years. :-)

    S> APPEND is like a PATH command for data access.

    That makes it somewhat different than the traditional DOS Append
    command.

    S> PATH to show where to search for programs, APPEND for data.
    S> In my experience it does not seem to work very well.

    Very strange. I wonder what the difference would be between
    data a programs. I was thinking (which is more than likely
    incorrect) that since those two variables are so important to
    system operation, they were (at least the first one which is
    redundant) reproduced in an "added" path statement to guarantee
    they would always be present. As a "just in case" they were
    inadvertently truncated in a too-long primary DOS path
    statement. But that was just a guess.

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  6. Re: System peculiarities...

    Sir:

    Marc Lewis wrote:
    > + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    > Hello all.
    >
    > > Re: System peculiarities... >
    >
    > S> "Marc Lewis" writes:
    >
    >> UNRELATED QUESTION:
    >> In the standard OS/2 DOS AUTOEXEC.BAT, what does the line:
    > > "LOADHIGH APPEND C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM" (immediately after the
    > > PATH statement.) do ?
    >> Any help on these items will be VERY much appreciated!

    > S> These are DOS commands. LOADHIGH loads a program/driver
    > S> into high memory to free up low (conventional 640k limited)
    > S> memory.
    >
    > I'm aware of that part, having grown up in DOS/DesqVIEW world
    > for quite a few years. :-)
    >
    > S> APPEND is like a PATH command for data access.
    >
    > That makes it somewhat different than the traditional DOS Append
    > command.

    Append is a DOS command. Does not work under OS/2.

    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  7. re: System peculiarities...

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    regarding Re: System peculiarities... >

    [snip]
    ml> In the standard OS/2 DOS AUTOEXEC.BAT, what does the line:
    ml> "LOADHIGH APPEND C:\OS2;C:\OS2\SYSTEM" (immediately after
    ml> the PATH statement.) do ? Any help on these items will be
    ml> VERY much appreciated!

    S> These are DOS commands. LOADHIGH loads a program/driver
    S> into high memory to free up low (conventional 640k limited)
    S> memory.

    ml> I'm aware of that part, having grown up in DOS/DesqVIEW
    ml> world for quite a few years. :-)

    S> APPEND is like a PATH command for data access.

    ml> That makes it somewhat different than the traditional DOS
    ml> Append command.

    WLH> Append is a DOS command. Does not work under OS/2.
    [snip]

    Eh?? We were not talking about OS/2, William. We were talking
    about the "Loadhigh Append" statement in the default OS/2-DOS
    AUTOEXEC.BAT file. (Read before reply has always been a good
    guide.)

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  8. Re: System peculiarities...

    Sir:

    Marc Lewis wrote:

    > ml> That makes it somewhat different than the traditional DOS
    > ml> Append command.
    >
    > WLH> Append is a DOS command. Does not work under OS/2.
    > [snip]
    >
    > Eh?? We were not talking about OS/2, William. We were talking
    > about the "Loadhigh Append" statement in the default OS/2-DOS
    > AUTOEXEC.BAT file. (Read before reply has always been a good
    > guide.)

    You snipped the part that answered your last question. Was the answer
    what you needed? You did not know what the actions that the previous
    poster attempted to explain. The DOS append and the one under VDM is
    the same append. You can launch a VDM using any version of MS DOS
    (except maybe 1.0) and use the same utilities that came with it. The
    command loadhigh just tells DOS where to load the program to which is
    its parameter. So your impression that there is a difference between
    DOS and the behavior within the VDM is not true.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  9. Re: System peculiarities...

    + User FidoNet address: 1:396/45
    Hello all.

    regarding Re: System peculiarities... >

    ml> That makes it somewhat different than the traditional DOS
    ml> Append command.

    WLH> Append is a DOS command. Does not work under OS/2. [snip]

    > Eh?? We were not talking about OS/2, William. We were
    > talking about the "Loadhigh Append" statement in the default
    > OS/2-DOS AUTOEXEC.BAT file.

    WLH> You snipped the part that answered your last question.

    Just trying to keep the message concise, Bill.

    WLH> Was the answer what you needed?

    Yes to some extent. Just the phraseology used left an open
    question, which I posted.

    WLH> You did not know what the actions that the previous
    WLH> poster attempted to explain.

    Come again?

    WLH> The DOS append and the one under VDM is the same append.

    Again, the phrasing of the response from Steve N. (to me at
    least) made OS/2-DOS's Append _seem_ different than that which
    came with MS-DOS 6.xx.

    WLH> You can launch a VDM using any version of MS DOS (except
    WLH> maybe 1.0) and use the same utilities that came with it.
    WLH> The command loadhigh just tells DOS where to load the
    WLH> program to which is its parameter.

    I'm aware of these things, Bill.

    WLH> So your impression that there is a difference between DOS
    WLH> and the behavior within the VDM is not true.

    I accept that; just the command in the OS/2-DOS default
    autoexec.bat to append something already stated in the PATH
    statement was a bit puzzling to me - that's all. I was just
    trying to figure why the line was there.

    And, I was wondering why you commented that APPEND is a DOS
    command; that's moderately evident since it appears in the DOS
    autoexec batch file...

    Thanks, Bill, for your input. I generally find it valuable.

    Best regards,
    Marc
    -+-timEd/2 1.10.y2k+
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
    + The FidoNet News Gate (Meridian, MS - USA) +
    + The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

  10. Re: System peculiarities...

    "Marc Lewis" writes:

    >Come again?
    >
    > WLH> The DOS append and the one under VDM is the same append.
    >
    >Again, the phrasing of the response from Steve N. (to me at
    >least) made OS/2-DOS's Append _seem_ different than that which
    >came with MS-DOS 6.xx.

    Sorry for being unclear. I perhaps over-simplified things.

    >I accept that; just the command in the OS/2-DOS default
    >autoexec.bat to append something already stated in the PATH
    >statement was a bit puzzling to me - that's all. I was just
    >trying to figure why the line was there.

    Because the effects of PATH and APPEND are different.
    APPEND sets a search path for data files. PATH is a
    search path for executables.

    Oops,

    Steve N.

+ Reply to Thread