64 bit and eCS? - OS2

This is a discussion on 64 bit and eCS? - OS2 ; For whatever reason, my Abit KX7-333 motherboard is cranky, and refuses to accept more RAM than the pair of 256M sticks on it. We've tried adding a 1 gig stick, a 1 gig stick by itself, and other permutations, of ...

  1. 64 bit and eCS?

    For whatever reason, my Abit KX7-333 motherboard is cranky, and refuses to
    accept more RAM than the pair of 256M sticks on it. We've tried adding a
    1 gig stick, a 1 gig stick by itself, and other permutations, of correct
    speed, but the machine will not go anywhere near booting (not even the
    first bios screen) with anything but those two 256M sticks! The memory
    speed is right, and the board manual says it handles up to 3 gig
    unbuffered, 3.5 gig registered. Nothing about any jumpers needing change
    to add memory.

    My computer fixing friend is stumped. His latest suggestion - upgrade the
    motherboard and CPU. That would mean 64 bit, I presume. Will my eCS 1.2
    setup work with 64 bit CPU? If so, any motherboard suggestions? I like
    Abit because of it's Softmenu bios that makes for a fairly jumperless
    board, but I'm happy with anything that works (including the current
    board, if someone can tell me how to get it to accept more RAM.)

    Thanks,

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  2. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > For whatever reason, my Abit KX7-333 motherboard is cranky, and refuses to
    > accept more RAM than the pair of 256M sticks on it. We've tried adding a
    > 1 gig stick, a 1 gig stick by itself, and other permutations, of correct
    > speed, but the machine will not go anywhere near booting (not even the
    > first bios screen) with anything but those two 256M sticks! The memory
    > speed is right, and the board manual says it handles up to 3 gig
    > unbuffered, 3.5 gig registered. Nothing about any jumpers needing change
    > to add memory.
    >
    > My computer fixing friend is stumped. His latest suggestion - upgrade the
    > motherboard and CPU. That would mean 64 bit, I presume. Will my eCS 1.2
    > setup work with 64 bit CPU? If so, any motherboard suggestions? I like
    > Abit because of it's Softmenu bios that makes for a fairly jumperless
    > board, but I'm happy with anything that works (including the current
    > board, if someone can tell me how to get it to accept more RAM.)

    Open your config.sys file and REM out the lines for apm.sys and
    testcfg.sys. It will probably boot with more than 512mb then. The
    long-term fix is to upgrade the kernel to one the last three versions,
    either 103, 104, or 105 which fixed this problem for most hardware setups.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  3. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:09:47 UTC, nobody@junk.min.net opined:
    > For whatever reason, my Abit KX7-333 motherboard is cranky, and refuses to
    > accept more RAM than the pair of 256M sticks on it. We've tried adding a
    > 1 gig stick, a 1 gig stick by itself, and other permutations, of correct
    > speed, but the machine will not go anywhere near booting (not even the
    > first bios screen) with anything but those two 256M sticks! The memory
    > speed is right, and the board manual says it handles up to 3 gig
    > unbuffered, 3.5 gig registered. Nothing about any jumpers needing change
    > to add memory.
    >
    > My computer fixing friend is stumped. His latest suggestion - upgrade the
    > motherboard and CPU. That would mean 64 bit, I presume. Will my eCS 1.2
    > setup work with 64 bit CPU? If so, any motherboard suggestions? I like
    > Abit because of it's Softmenu bios that makes for a fairly jumperless
    > board, but I'm happy with anything that works (including the current
    > board, if someone can tell me how to get it to accept more RAM.)
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alan

    You probably missed my similar problem described in another group,
    which concerned eCS v1.1 and the impossibility of enlarging the memory
    beyond 500MB. The breakthrough came when someone mentioned that the
    limitation was in the kernel that shipped with that release, and that
    I needed to upgrade the kernel. Someone else (no names please) chewed
    me out because I was goosy about monkeying about with something I
    visualized as being a delicate gurus-only part of the OS, and that
    forced me to do the upgrade. My eCS v1.1 is now sporting a 14.104a
    kernel, and is running a full 2GBs of RAM. It's duck soup, as the
    chewer said.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  4. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 15:09:47 -0500, nobody wrote:

    > For whatever reason, my Abit KX7-333 motherboard is cranky, and refuses
    > to accept more RAM than the pair of 256M sticks on it. We've tried
    > adding a 1 gig stick, a 1 gig stick by itself, and other permutations,
    > of correct speed, but the machine will not go anywhere near booting (not
    > even the first bios screen) with anything but those two 256M sticks!
    > The memory speed is right, and the board manual says it handles up to 3
    > gig unbuffered, 3.5 gig registered. Nothing about any jumpers needing
    > change to add memory.
    >
    > My computer fixing friend is stumped. His latest suggestion - upgrade
    > the motherboard and CPU. That would mean 64 bit, I presume. Will my
    > eCS 1.2 setup work with 64 bit CPU? If so, any motherboard suggestions?
    > I like Abit because of it's Softmenu bios that makes for a fairly
    > jumperless board, but I'm happy with anything that works (including the
    > current board, if someone can tell me how to get it to accept more RAM.)

    If you are really chicken, you might be able to d/l the refreshed 1.2R
    slipstreamed version of 1.2 - I'm pretty sure the iso had at least the
    1.03 kernel that would fix your problem.

    --
    Will Honea

  5. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    In <130o5c5apd3ba02@corp.supernews.com>, on 03/29/07
    at 12:37 PM, "David T. Johnson" said:

    >> My computer fixing friend is stumped. His latest suggestion - upgrade the
    >> motherboard and CPU. That would mean 64 bit, I presume. Will my eCS 1.2
    >> setup work with 64 bit CPU? If so, any motherboard suggestions? I like
    >> Abit because of it's Softmenu bios that makes for a fairly jumperless
    >> board, but I'm happy with anything that works (including the current
    >> board, if someone can tell me how to get it to accept more RAM.)
    >>

    >Open your config.sys file and REM out the lines for apm.sys and
    >testcfg.sys. It will probably boot with more than 512mb then. The
    >long-term fix is to upgrade the kernel to one the last three versions,
    >either 103, 104, or 105 which fixed this problem for most hardware
    >setups.

    The boot process doesn't even get to the drive to start booting the OS. I
    have kernel 14.103a, if it would go that far, but nothing happens with a
    different memory amount. Not even a beep.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  6. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    In , on 03/29/07
    at 07:57 PM, "Stan Goodman" said:

    >> My computer fixing friend is stumped. His latest suggestion - upgrade the
    >> motherboard and CPU. That would mean 64 bit, I presume. Will my eCS 1.2
    >> setup work with 64 bit CPU? If so, any motherboard suggestions? I like
    >> Abit because of it's Softmenu bios that makes for a fairly jumperless
    >> board, but I'm happy with anything that works (including the current
    >> board, if someone can tell me how to get it to accept more RAM.)
    >>

    >You probably missed my similar problem described in another group, which
    >concerned eCS v1.1 and the impossibility of enlarging the memory beyond
    >500MB. The breakthrough came when someone mentioned that the limitation
    >was in the kernel that shipped with that release, and that I needed to
    >upgrade the kernel. Someone else (no names please) chewed me out because
    >I was goosy about monkeying about with something I visualized as being a
    >delicate gurus-only part of the OS, and that forced me to do the
    >upgrade. My eCS v1.1 is now sporting a 14.104a kernel, and is running a
    >full 2GBs of RAM. It's duck soup, as the chewer said.

    As I said to David, I have kernel 14.103a. I can't know if the OS even
    has a problem with more memory if the boot process doesn't even get to the
    point where the OS takes over from the bios.

    Will eCS work with 64 bit Athlon 3000+, if I have to change motherboards?

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  7. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    Hi Alan

    nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    > In , on 03/29/07
    > at 07:57 PM, "Stan Goodman" said:
    >
    >>> My computer fixing friend is stumped. His latest suggestion - upgrade the
    >>> motherboard and CPU. That would mean 64 bit, I presume. Will my eCS 1.2
    >>> setup work with 64 bit CPU? If so, any motherboard suggestions? I like
    >>> Abit because of it's Softmenu bios that makes for a fairly jumperless
    >>> board, but I'm happy with anything that works (including the current
    >>> board, if someone can tell me how to get it to accept more RAM.)
    >>>

    >> You probably missed my similar problem described in another group, which
    >> concerned eCS v1.1 and the impossibility of enlarging the memory beyond
    >> 500MB. The breakthrough came when someone mentioned that the limitation
    >> was in the kernel that shipped with that release, and that I needed to
    >> upgrade the kernel. Someone else (no names please) chewed me out because
    >> I was goosy about monkeying about with something I visualized as being a
    >> delicate gurus-only part of the OS, and that forced me to do the
    >> upgrade. My eCS v1.1 is now sporting a 14.104a kernel, and is running a
    >> full 2GBs of RAM. It's duck soup, as the chewer said.

    > As I said to David, I have kernel 14.103a. I can't know if the OS even
    > has a problem with more memory if the boot process doesn't even get to the
    > point where the OS takes over from the bios.

    I often find when changing hardware that the BIOS setting called
    something like Update ESCD needs to be Enabled.

    Not sure if that applies to RAM though...

    > Will eCS work with 64 bit Athlon 3000+, if I have to change motherboards?
    >

    > Alan

    I'm using an Asus A8N-E mainboard with an AMD64 3000+ CPU and 2 512
    sticks of RAM.

    eCS1.2 worked fine with it, if I remember correctly all I did was hookup
    my disks to the new mainboard, set a few things in the BIOS as I boot
    from SCSI, and off we went. I wrote an article for VOICE that may be of
    interest http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...feature_5.html

    eCS1.2R goes 1 better - it will install to the above system without
    problems or fiddling about.

    Regards

    Pete

  8. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    In , on 04/01/07
    at 03:51 PM, Peter Brown said:

    >>> 500MB. The breakthrough came when someone mentioned that the limitation
    >>> was in the kernel that shipped with that release, and that I needed to
    >>> upgrade the kernel. Someone else (no names please) chewed me out because
    >>> I was goosy about monkeying about with something I visualized as being a
    >>> delicate gurus-only part of the OS, and that forced me to do the
    >>> upgrade. My eCS v1.1 is now sporting a 14.104a kernel, and is running a
    >>> full 2GBs of RAM. It's duck soup, as the chewer said.

    >> As I said to David, I have kernel 14.103a. I can't know if the OS even
    >> has a problem with more memory if the boot process doesn't even get to the
    >> point where the OS takes over from the bios.

    >I often find when changing hardware that the BIOS setting called
    >something like Update ESCD needs to be Enabled.

    >Not sure if that applies to RAM though...

    We tried that, too. Looks like it'll be a new motherboard - a 64 bit
    Athlon 3000+, and a PCI-E video card, so I'll never get to try the ATI
    Radeon 9250 I bought on eBay. I hate computers..

    >> Will eCS work with 64 bit Athlon 3000+, if I have to change motherboards?
    >>

    >> Alan
    >>

    >I'm using an Asus A8N-E mainboard with an AMD64 3000+ CPU and 2 512
    >sticks of RAM.

    >eCS1.2 worked fine with it, if I remember correctly all I did was hookup
    >my disks to the new mainboard, set a few things in the BIOS as I boot
    >from SCSI, and off we went. I wrote an article for VOICE that may be of
    >interest http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_iss...feature_5.html

    >eCS1.2R goes 1 better - it will install to the above system without
    >problems or fiddling about.

    >Regards

    >Pete

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  9. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    On 04/01/07 11:55 pm Doug Bissett wrote:

    > I am running an Athlon 64 3000+, on an ASUS A8N-E motherboard, with
    > good success. There are a few things that need to be set in the BIOS,
    > to get USB to work right, and I recomend a PS/2 style keyboard, rather
    > than a USB keyboard, because you need to turn OFF legacy USB support,
    > which efectively disables a USB keyboard, until the drivers get loaded
    > (if you don't turn off legacy USB support, the drivers don't load).
    > That makes selecting a boot system, from the Boot Manager menu,
    > impossible, without a PS/2 type keyboard.

    I have the same motherboard, but with a dual-core CPU. I used to have to
    disable the legacy USB support until I discovered Pasha's recommendation
    in his more recent ACPI docs. to "reserve" IRQs 3, 5 and 7 in the mobo
    BIOS. Many devices now share IRQ 11, and the USB keyboard works even
    before the drivers have loaded.

    Perce

  10. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    In , on 04/02/07
    at 09:15 PM, Peter Brown said:

    >> Anyone know offhand if a Kensington Expert Mouse will work as USB?

    >I've seen some posts that suggest it will - might require the amouse
    >driver though... You should find it from this page
    >http://www.nbsoftware.de/index2.htm

    I need to use the OS/2 driver, as I have to set the second pair of buttons
    as locked down - I can't hold them down.

    >> I've got 1.2R, I believe (is there any way to check?)

    >Err,... I just look at the cd label...

    I should have thought of that.

    >Syslevel reports:-

    >H:\OS2\INSTALL\SYSLEVEL.ECS
    > eComStation Operating System 1.2 Version
    >1.20.1 Component ID 5639A6101
    >Type 0C
    >Current CSD level: XR0C004
    >Prior CSD level: XR04503

    >Not sure if that is different to eCS1.2 though...

    That's what mine reports.

    > If so, how do I install them and
    >> uninstall my Sblive driver (I can do that before any change is made?)

    >Use Local System -> Install/Remove -> Multimedia Management or
    >Multimedia Application Install (both seem to do the same thing here) to
    >Uninstall the SB driver and then install Uniaud.

    >When you reboot the uniaud driver should find the sound and mixer
    >chipset but, before rebooting, it is worth setting up Hardware Manager
    >to Full detection at next reboot and also setting the Update ESCD to
    >Enabled in the BIOS at the start of that reboot. No excuse for uniaud to
    >not find the hardware then :-)

    When I make the attempt, I'll do that. Thanks for the tips.

    >Forget the SATA RAID - unless you have an OS/2 driver? SATA2 (300) may
    >be supported by the Danis506.add, suggest you check the danis506.doc
    >before attempting to use.

    I likely won't use that.

    >> USB: Eight USB 2.0 ports (four soldered on the motherboard and four
    >> available thru I/O brackets, which don't come with the motherboard).

    >Not really relevant - What you need to know is how many of what type of
    >USB Controllers are available, probably 1 EHCI and 1 OHCI.
    >USBcfg can help with USB configuration issues
    >http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/system/usbcfgb7a.zip

    Already downloaded.

    >The last complete uniaud update is here
    >ftp://ftp.netlabs.org/pub/uniaud/uniaud114RC2.zip

    >There is an update to that package here
    >http://download.smedley.info/uniaud32.zip

    Thanks - I'll get them.

    > On-board
    >> video: Yes, produced by GeForce 6100 (GeForce 6 graphics engine).

    >Don't forget to Disable this if using the 6200 mentioned above.

    Will do.

    >> On-board LAN: Yes, Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) controlled by nForce 410 south
    >> bridge together with Realtek RTL8201BL chip.

    >Sorry, no idea if this is supported by OS/2 drivers or the GenMAC
    >"wrapper". Hopefully someone else will know.

    I'd be disabling that, and using my Intel card.

    Alan

    Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

  11. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:47:53 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > On 04/01/07 11:55 pm Doug Bissett wrote:
    >

    > > I am running an Athlon 64 3000+, on an ASUS A8N-E motherboard, with
    > > good success. There are a few things that need to be set in the BIOS,
    > > to get USB to work right, and I recomend a PS/2 style keyboard, rather
    > > than a USB keyboard, because you need to turn OFF legacy USB support,
    > > which efectively disables a USB keyboard, until the drivers get loaded
    > > (if you don't turn off legacy USB support, the drivers don't load).
    > > That makes selecting a boot system, from the Boot Manager menu,
    > > impossible, without a PS/2 type keyboard.

    > I have the same motherboard, but with a dual-core CPU. I used to have to
    > disable the legacy USB support until I discovered Pasha's recommendation
    > in his more recent ACPI docs. to "reserve" IRQs 3, 5 and 7 in the mobo
    > BIOS. Many devices now share IRQ 11, and the USB keyboard works even
    > before the drivers have loaded.
    >
    > Perce

    I haven't experimented with the ACPI driver, yet. Thanks for the
    tip...

    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  12. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    Doug Bissett wrote:
    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 20:09:47 UTC, nobody@junk.min.net wrote:
    >
    >> The memory
    >> speed is right, and the board manual says it handles up to 3 gig
    >> unbuffered, 3.5 gig registered. Nothing about any jumpers needing change
    >> to add memory.

    > Just a WAG, but some motherboards require matched pairs of memory
    > sticks. Your original two 256 meg sticks would be a matched pair. If
    > you wish to expand, you may need to go with two 512 meg sticks, or two
    > 1 GiB sticks. Probably not worth the money, or the effort.

    That would be interesting. The OP's board has VIA KT-333 chipset, the
    same my board (Asus A7V-333) has, but it should work with one memory
    module. I had it with one 512M module for a long time, I added another
    one half a year ago.

    Perhaps the NVidia chipsets with the dual channel may need some RAM
    setup as such...

    --
    Cheers,
    Martin

    UNDERSCOREmmiATcentrumDOTcz to email me

  13. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    nobody@junk.min.net schrieb:

    > My computer fixing friend is stumped. His latest suggestion - upgrade the
    > motherboard and CPU. That would mean 64 bit, I presume. Will my eCS 1.2
    > setup work with 64 bit CPU?

    Here's a misunderstanding.

    Although the new CPUs support a 64bit mode,
    this is mode is not active unless it is entered explicitly.

    Therefore these CPUs are just faster 32 bit CPUs for OS/2(eCS).

    Hendrik

  14. Re: 64 bit and eCS?

    On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 19:22:12 UTC, "Doug Bissett"
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 11:47:53 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On 04/01/07 11:55 pm Doug Bissett wrote:
    > >

    > > > I am running an Athlon 64 3000+, on an ASUS A8N-E motherboard, with
    > > > good success. There are a few things that need to be set in the BIOS,
    > > > to get USB to work right, and I recomend a PS/2 style keyboard, rather
    > > > than a USB keyboard, because you need to turn OFF legacy USB support,
    > > > which efectively disables a USB keyboard, until the drivers get loaded
    > > > (if you don't turn off legacy USB support, the drivers don't load).
    > > > That makes selecting a boot system, from the Boot Manager menu,
    > > > impossible, without a PS/2 type keyboard.

    > > I have the same motherboard, but with a dual-core CPU. I used to have to
    > > disable the legacy USB support until I discovered Pasha's recommendation
    > > in his more recent ACPI docs. to "reserve" IRQs 3, 5 and 7 in the mobo
    > > BIOS. Many devices now share IRQ 11, and the USB keyboard works even
    > > before the drivers have loaded.
    > >
    > > Perce

    > I haven't experimented with the ACPI driver, yet. Thanks for the
    > tip...

    Just to follow up, yes, reserving the IRQs does allow me to leave
    legacy USB support enabled.

    Thanks...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett