Minimal PM system - OS2

This is a discussion on Minimal PM system - OS2 ; Hi, Does anyone know what files are absolutely necessary to have PMShell running? I am working on an embedded system with small hd capacity. I used theseus on a working system to see all DLLS EXE and Drivers loaded, when ...

  1. Minimal PM system

    Hi,

    Does anyone know what files are absolutely necessary to have PMShell
    running? I am working on an embedded system with small hd capacity. I used
    theseus on a working system to see all DLLS EXE and Drivers loaded, when
    pmshell was up and running. Copied all these files to embedded hd, and
    modified config.sys. But launching Pmshell crashes system with Trap000d at
    PMDD.

    Tero

  2. Re: Minimal PM system

    Tero Kaarlela wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know what files are absolutely necessary to have PMShell
    > running? I am working on an embedded system with small hd capacity. I used
    > theseus on a working system to see all DLLS EXE and Drivers loaded, when
    > pmshell was up and running. Copied all these files to embedded hd, and
    > modified config.sys. But launching Pmshell crashes system with Trap000d at
    > PMDD.
    >

    > Tero

    I think I heard long ago that mouse.sys has to be loaded before pmdd ?

    MIkeG

  3. Re: Minimal PM system

    Now I know what is needed. I have MCP2(very stripped noswap) with MSHELL
    +MMOS2(only files needed by PM123) + UNIAUD + USBMSD + FAT32 + PM123 +
    SNAP(only files necessary for Trident Blade3d) + part of MPTN(only files
    needed by PM123) running on 32mb flash disk. space left on device is 18kb.
    Machine is Fujitsu Siemens Futro B210 thin client. VIA C3 533 + via eden
    chipset. booting takes about 4 seconds. Goal of this was to get a living
    room MP3 jukebox(songs are on external USB HD). And it works. BTW Mshell
    likes to write OS2.ini to Harddrive from time to time, is there a way to
    prevent this?(dont like Flash disk written constantly)

    Tero

    "Tero Kaarlela" kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know what files are absolutely necessary to have PMShell
    > running? I am working on an embedded system with small hd capacity. I used
    > theseus on a working system to see all DLLS EXE and Drivers loaded, when
    > pmshell was up and running. Copied all these files to embedded hd, and
    > modified config.sys. But launching Pmshell crashes system with Trap000d

    at
    > PMDD.
    >

    > Tero

  4. Re: Minimal PM system

    Tero Kaarlela wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know what files are absolutely necessary to have PMShell
    > running? I am working on an embedded system with small hd capacity. I used

    Maybe you could use bootos2 to crate a minimal partition:
    http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/system/bootos2.zip

    piersante

  5. Re: Minimal PM system

    On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:52:22 UTC, "Tero Kaarlela"
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know what files are absolutely necessary to have PMShell
    > running? I am working on an embedded system with small hd capacity. I used
    > theseus on a working system to see all DLLS EXE and Drivers loaded, when
    > pmshell was up and running. Copied all these files to embedded hd, and
    > modified config.sys. But launching Pmshell crashes system with Trap000d at
    > PMDD.

    Try building a maintenance partition, using bootAble:

    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/bootAble/

    The results should be close to what you need/want. I suggest getting
    the WPI (WarpIn) version, which contains my CONFIG MAKER program,
    which should help you to get a working config file, quickly.

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  6. Re: Minimal PM system

    Already done.

    Tero

    "Tero Kaarlela" kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know what files are absolutely necessary to have PMShell
    > running? I am working on an embedded system with small hd capacity. I used
    > theseus on a working system to see all DLLS EXE and Drivers loaded, when
    > pmshell was up and running. Copied all these files to embedded hd, and
    > modified config.sys. But launching Pmshell crashes system with Trap000d

    at
    > PMDD.
    >

    > Tero

  7. Re: Minimal PM system

    Hi,

    Tero Kaarlela schrieb:

    > BTW Mshell
    > likes to write OS2.ini to Harddrive from time to time, is there a way to
    > prevent this?(dont like Flash disk written constantly)

    Perhaps you can use another shell:
    \os2\install\SHUTDOWN.EXE is only 25 kb in size
    or
    ATSHELL

    Another option is to use an ramdrive.

    Regards,
    Andreas Kohl

  8. Re: Minimal PM system

    I recompiled Mshell(umcommented writing of inis).

    Tero

    "Andreas Kohl" kirjoitti viestissä
    > Hi,
    >
    > Tero Kaarlela schrieb:
    >
    > > BTW Mshell
    > > likes to write OS2.ini to Harddrive from time to time, is there a way to
    > > prevent this?(dont like Flash disk written constantly)

    > Perhaps you can use another shell:
    > \os2\install\SHUTDOWN.EXE is only 25 kb in size
    > or
    > ATSHELL
    >
    > Another option is to use an ramdrive.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Andreas Kohl

  9. Re: Minimal PM system

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 02:36:25 UTC, "Tero Kaarlela"
    wrote:

    > Now I know what is needed. I have MCP2(very stripped noswap) with MSHELL
    > +MMOS2(only files needed by PM123) + UNIAUD + USBMSD + FAT32 + PM123 +
    > SNAP(only files necessary for Trident Blade3d) + part of MPTN(only files
    > needed by PM123) running on 32mb flash disk. space left on device is 18kb.
    > Machine is Fujitsu Siemens Futro B210 thin client. VIA C3 533 + via eden
    > chipset. booting takes about 4 seconds. Goal of this was to get a living
    > room MP3 jukebox(songs are on external USB HD). And it works. BTW Mshell
    > likes to write OS2.ini to Harddrive from time to time, is there a way to
    > prevent this?(dont like Flash disk written constantly)

    Just a suggestion : you might be able to add a few more bytes to the
    free space by using Z! instead of PM123

    --
    Luc Van Bogaert

    Via ProNews/2 & eComStation
    http://www.os2world.com/os2ecs

  10. Re: Minimal PM system

    I might but it does not look as cool as PM123

    Tero

    "Luc Van Bogaert" kirjoitti viestissä
    > On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 02:36:25 UTC, "Tero Kaarlela"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Now I know what is needed. I have MCP2(very stripped noswap) with MSHELL
    > > +MMOS2(only files needed by PM123) + UNIAUD + USBMSD + FAT32 + PM123 +
    > > SNAP(only files necessary for Trident Blade3d) + part of MPTN(only files
    > > needed by PM123) running on 32mb flash disk. space left on device is

    18kb.
    > > Machine is Fujitsu Siemens Futro B210 thin client. VIA C3 533 + via eden
    > > chipset. booting takes about 4 seconds. Goal of this was to get a living
    > > room MP3 jukebox(songs are on external USB HD). And it works. BTW Mshell
    > > likes to write OS2.ini to Harddrive from time to time, is there a way to
    > > prevent this?(dont like Flash disk written constantly)

    > Just a suggestion : you might be able to add a few more bytes to the
    > free space by using Z! instead of PM123
    >
    > --
    > Luc Van Bogaert
    >
    > Via ProNews/2 & eComStation
    > http://www.os2world.com/os2ecs

  11. Re: Minimal PM system

    Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    "Tero Kaarlela" spake unto us, saying:

    >"Luc Van Bogaert" kirjoitti viestissä
    >
    >> Just a suggestion : you might be able to add a few more bytes to the
    >> free space by using Z! instead of PM123

    >I might but it does not look as cool as PM123

    Ah, but the shock value to a Windows user might be worth it. :-)

    I've showed people the text-based frequency analyzer in MPXPlay before
    (running in a VDM), and that generate some fairly interesting reactions
    as well... As in "WTF is that??!?"... :-)

    http://www.geocities.com/mpxplay/

    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

  12. Re: Minimal PM system

    Good point Well next thing to add to system is remote controller(Old
    Packard Bell Fast media that connects to RS232). To change songs,
    control volume and shutdown system. Maybe experiment with Z! after this
    is done.

    Tero

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > Here in comp.os.os2.misc,
    > "Tero Kaarlela" spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >> "Luc Van Bogaert" kirjoitti viestissä
    >>
    >>> Just a suggestion : you might be able to add a few more bytes to the
    >>> free space by using Z! instead of PM123

    >> I might but it does not look as cool as PM123

    > Ah, but the shock value to a Windows user might be worth it. :-)
    >
    > I've showed people the text-based frequency analyzer in MPXPlay before
    > (running in a VDM), and that generate some fairly interesting reactions
    > as well... As in "WTF is that??!?"... :-)
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/mpxplay/

  13. Re: Minimal PM system

    On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 20:57:52 UTC, "Tero Kaarlela"
    wrote:

    > I might but it does not look as cool as PM123

    Probably right, but OTOH that Z! text interface "does" something for
    me :-)

    --
    Luc Van Bogaert

    Via ProNews/2 & eComStation