Java Font Locations - OS2

This is a discussion on Java Font Locations - OS2 ; With IBM's and Innotek's Java for OS/2 comes a set of fonts with each of them which are named slightly different, but as far as I understand, pretty much the same font style. IBM has: Verzeichnis von F:\JAVA131\jre\lib\fonts 22.10.05 9.07 ...

  1. Java Font Locations

    With IBM's and Innotek's Java for OS/2 comes a set of fonts with each of them
    which are named slightly different, but as far as I understand, pretty much
    the same font style.

    IBM has:
    Verzeichnis von F:\JAVA131\jre\lib\fonts
    22.10.05 9.07 59.488 0 a--- LucB.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 56.240 0 a--- LucBB.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 59.112 0 a--- LucBBI.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 59.776 0 a--- LucBI.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 245.264 0 a--- LucS.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 85.348 0 a--- LucSB.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 89.444 0 a--- LucSBI.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 255.660 0 a--- LucSI.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 141.668 0 a--- LucT.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 59.308 0 a--- LucTB.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 63.168 209 a--- LucTBI.ttf
    22.10.05 9.07 148.412 209 a--- LucTI.ttf

    and with Innotek comes:
    Verzeichnis von F:\Java142\lib\fonts
    10.09.05 9.39 75.144 0 a--- LucidaBrightDemiBold.ttf
    10.09.05 9.39 75.124 0 a--- LucidaBrightDemiItalic.ttf
    10.09.05 9.39 80.856 0 a--- LucidaBrightItalic.ttf
    10.09.05 9.39 344.908 0 a--- LucidaBrightRegular.ttf
    10.09.05 9.39 317.896 0 a--- LucidaSansDemiBold.ttf
    10.09.05 9.39 698.236 0 a--- LucidaSansRegular.ttf
    10.09.05 9.39 234.068 0 a--- LucidaTypewriterBold.ttf
    10.09.05 9.39 242.700 0 a--- LucidaTypewriterRegular.ttf

    What I would like to know now is:
    1.) can those fonts be consolidated into d:\PSFonts, rather than having them
    cluttered all over the place, with Java still being able to find them?

    2.) Can those Java131 fonts, which seem to be the same as the ones with
    Java1.4.2_09, be removed and where/how does Java131 then learn about the
    changed Java1.4.2 names for them?

    3.) Where and under which name do I find the WarpSans font files (they are not
    part of d:\PSFonts)?

    Wolfi

  2. Re: Java Font Locations

    Wolfi wrote:
    > With IBM's and Innotek's Java for OS/2 comes a set of fonts with each of
    > them which are named slightly different, but as far as I understand,
    > pretty much the same font style.
    >

    > What I would like to know now is:
    > 1.) can those fonts be consolidated into d:\PSFonts, rather than having
    > them cluttered all over the place, with Java still being able to find them?
    >
    > 2.) Can those Java131 fonts, which seem to be the same as the ones with
    > Java1.4.2_09, be removed and where/how does Java131 then learn about the
    > changed Java1.4.2 names for them?
    >
    > 3.) Where and under which name do I find the WarpSans font files (they
    > are not part of d:\PSFonts)?
    >
    > Wolfi

    The font properties information is kept in the file
    X:\Java11\Lib|Font.PRP for Java 1.1.x, and in
    X:\Programs\Java142\Lib\Font.Properties for Java142 under eCS.

    The file names with the shorter file names can be used under Windows and
    OS/2 directly since they do not allow font file name that are too long.
    (Must be SFN for 16-bit Windows, and OS/2 allows a maximum of thirty-one
    characters in a file name, but most TrueType files are in the
    traditional format.

    I do not know where or how to change the locations of the files.

  3. Re: Java Font Locations

    My Name schrieb:
    > Wolfi wrote:
    >> With IBM's and Innotek's Java for OS/2 comes a set of fonts with each
    >> of them which are named slightly different, but as far as I
    >> understand, pretty much the same font style.
    >>

    >> What I would like to know now is:
    >> 1.) can those fonts be consolidated into d:\PSFonts, rather than
    >> having them cluttered all over the place, with Java still being able
    >> to find them?
    >>
    >> 2.) Can those Java131 fonts, which seem to be the same as the ones
    >> with Java1.4.2_09, be removed and where/how does Java131 then learn
    >> about the changed Java1.4.2 names for them?
    >>
    >> 3.) Where and under which name do I find the WarpSans font files (they
    >> are not part of d:\PSFonts)?
    >>
    >> Wolfi

    > The font properties information is kept in the file
    > X:\Java11\Lib|Font.PRP for Java 1.1.x, and in

    Since Java 1.1.x doesn't come with a fonts subdir of its own (can it actually
    already deal with Unicode fonts?), it shouldn't be affected at all, should it?

    > X:\Programs\Java142\Lib\Font.Properties for Java142 under eCS.

    ..... and here I don't see any reference to the provided LucidaXY TTFs, so I
    don't really understand, what this file does.

    > The file names with the shorter file names can be used under Windows and
    > OS/2 directly since they do not allow font file name that are too long.
    > (Must be SFN for 16-bit Windows, and OS/2 allows a maximum of thirty-one
    > characters in a file name, but most TrueType files are in the
    > traditional format.

    Since I'm mainly interested in having UniCode fonts available in one location
    for the Mozilla products, Java and whatever other program at some time might
    be able to use them, there isn't much concern for WinOS/2.
    But thanks for the pointer anyway.

    > I do not know where or how to change the locations of the files.

    Well, that still seems to be the key issue, then ;-)

  4. Re: Java Font Locations

    Wolfi wrote:
    > My Name schrieb:
    >> The font properties information is kept in the file
    >> X:\Java11\Lib|Font.PRP for Java 1.1.x, and in

    > Since Java 1.1.x doesn't come with a fonts subdir of its own (can it
    > actually already deal with Unicode fonts?), it shouldn't be affected at
    > all, should it?
    >
    >> X:\Programs\Java142\Lib\Font.Properties for Java142 under eCS.

    > .... and here I don't see any reference to the provided LucidaXY TTFs,
    > so I don't really understand, what this file does.
    >
    >> The file names with the shorter file names can be used under Windows
    >> and OS/2 directly since they do not allow font file name that are too
    >> long. (Must be SFN for 16-bit Windows, and OS/2 allows a maximum of
    >> thirty-one characters in a file name, but most TrueType files are in
    >> the traditional format.

    > Since I'm mainly interested in having UniCode fonts available in one
    > location for the Mozilla products, Java and whatever other program at
    > some time might be able to use them, there isn't much concern for WinOS/2.
    > But thanks for the pointer anyway.
    >
    >> I do not know where or how to change the locations of the files.

    > Well, that still seems to be the key issue, then ;-)

    The are added by using the Font Palette just like any other font file is
    setup for use by OS/2.

  5. Re: Java Font Locations

    My Name schrieb:
    > Wolfi wrote:
    >> My Name schrieb:
    >>> The font properties information is kept in the file
    >>> X:\Java11\Lib|Font.PRP for Java 1.1.x, and in

    >> Since Java 1.1.x doesn't come with a fonts subdir of its own (can it
    >> actually already deal with Unicode fonts?), it shouldn't be affected
    >> at all, should it?
    >>
    >>> X:\Programs\Java142\Lib\Font.Properties for Java142 under eCS.

    >> .... and here I don't see any reference to the provided LucidaXY TTFs,
    >> so I don't really understand, what this file does.
    >>
    >>> The file names with the shorter file names can be used under Windows
    >>> and OS/2 directly since they do not allow font file name that are too
    >>> long. (Must be SFN for 16-bit Windows, and OS/2 allows a maximum of
    >>> thirty-one characters in a file name, but most TrueType files are in
    >>> the traditional format.

    >> Since I'm mainly interested in having UniCode fonts available in one
    >> location for the Mozilla products, Java and whatever other program at
    >> some time might be able to use them, there isn't much concern for
    >> WinOS/2.
    >> But thanks for the pointer anyway.
    >>
    >>> I do not know where or how to change the locations of the files.

    >> Well, that still seems to be the key issue, then ;-)

    > The are added by using the Font Palette just like any other font file is
    > setup for use by OS/2.

    Ahm, that wasn't the problem. It's how does Java learn about those font files
    being relocated from within its own subdir structure to, f.e. \PSFonts.

  6. Re: Java Font Locations

    In article
    publicalfa-ng@yahoo.fr "Wolfi" writes:

    > Ahm, that wasn't the problem. It's how does Java learn about
    > those font files being relocated from within its own subdir
    > structure to, f.e. \PSFonts.

    Does it not simply look in \psfonts? That directory is a popular
    place to put system-wide fonts.

    Now that Sun is releasing Java to the world, maybe some kindly
    standards committee will settle the problem, once and for all,
    allowing the user to supply a list of resource-directories, or
    even URLs. (Not that I program in Java, so what do I know.)
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

+ Reply to Thread