Thinkpad T23 restore CD - OS2

This is a discussion on Thinkpad T23 restore CD - OS2 ; The time is coming when I will need to replace my venerable Thinkpad 600E. The battery won't hold charge (not actually a major inconvenience) and replacements are too costly to be worthwhile and the keyboard is getting rather worn. The ...

  1. Thinkpad T23 restore CD

    The time is coming when I will need to replace my venerable Thinkpad
    600E. The battery won't hold charge (not actually a major inconvenience)
    and replacements are too costly to be worthwhile and the keyboard is
    getting rather worn.
    The machine has still got some life left in it, but it has become rather
    a low end machine and I could do with a higher powered replacement.
    I tend to think in terms of refurbished thinkpads on the basis of value
    for money.
    I can get a T23 which would suffice, but I notice that the Windows XP
    has a 'Restore CD'.
    What I am wondering is does this impose any restrictions on
    repartitioning the disk (specifically, will using the restore CD
    interfere with the partitioning).
    Can anyone advise?
    Regards
    Peter

  2. Re: Thinkpad T23 restore CD

    On Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:00:08 UTC Peter J Seymour
    wrote:

    > The time is coming when I will need to replace my venerable Thinkpad
    > 600E. The battery won't hold charge (not actually a major inconvenience)
    > and replacements are too costly to be worthwhile and the keyboard is
    > getting rather worn.
    > The machine has still got some life left in it, but it has become rather
    > a low end machine and I could do with a higher powered replacement.
    > I tend to think in terms of refurbished thinkpads on the basis of value
    > for money.
    > I can get a T23 which would suffice, but I notice that the Windows XP
    > has a 'Restore CD'.
    > What I am wondering is does this impose any restrictions on
    > repartitioning the disk (specifically, will using the restore CD
    > interfere with the partitioning).
    > Can anyone advise?
    > Regards
    > Peter

    I've heard a couple of different stories for other models, but my R30
    restores to the repartitioned disk with no problems - so long as the
    target drive is a primary and is specifically made the active primary
    before I start the restore. I have OS/2, BootManager, and Linux on
    the disk with XP and I've had to restore XP at least 4 times - no
    sweat. But have a six-pack handy - that blasted restore takes forever
    and a day to finish!

    Some people have complained that the restore wiped and reformatted the
    entire disk - I think the key to my success may be that I put XP on
    the first physical partition as a promary and install BootManager
    after the Win partition. It works the same on the Toshiba laptop I'm
    using right now.

    --
    Will Honea

  3. Re: Thinkpad T23 restore CD

    On 2006-11-08, Will Honea wrote:

    >> I can get a T23 which would suffice, but I notice that the Windows XP
    >> has a 'Restore CD'.
    >> What I am wondering is does this impose any restrictions on
    >> repartitioning the disk (specifically, will using the restore CD
    >> interfere with the partitioning).

    > I've heard a couple of different stories for other models, but my R30
    > restores to the repartitioned disk with no problems - so long as the
    > target drive is a primary and is specifically made the active primary
    > before I start the restore. I have OS/2, BootManager, and Linux on
    > the disk with XP and I've had to restore XP at least 4 times - no
    > sweat. But have a six-pack handy - that blasted restore takes forever
    > and a day to finish!

    I can confirm this, I have a T23 and XP on restore-CDs.
    XP will restore to (and wipe out) the first primary partition.
    So make shure you install hibernation-partition (second primary),
    bootmanager (third primary), eCS (first extended),
    OS/2-service-partition (second extended), data-partitions, linux etc.
    after the first partiton which will be wiped out in case you need
    to restore.

    And when I restored XP the last time I had to use dfsee to make
    Bootmanager active again. XP failed to accomplish this task.

    Franz

  4. Re: Thinkpad T23 restore CD

    Peter J Seymour wrote:
    > The time is coming when I will need to replace my venerable Thinkpad
    > 600E. The battery won't hold charge (not actually a major inconvenience)
    > and replacements are too costly to be worthwhile and the keyboard is
    > getting rather worn.
    > The machine has still got some life left in it, but it has become rather
    > a low end machine and I could do with a higher powered replacement.
    > I tend to think in terms of refurbished thinkpads on the basis of value
    > for money.
    > I can get a T23 which would suffice, but I notice that the Windows XP
    > has a 'Restore CD'.
    > What I am wondering is does this impose any restrictions on
    > repartitioning the disk (specifically, will using the restore CD
    > interfere with the partitioning).
    > Can anyone advise?
    > Regards
    > Peter

    Looking at what is available, it will probably be a T23. Thanks for the
    Regards
    Peter

+ Reply to Thread