Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM? - OS2

This is a discussion on Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM? - OS2 ; Is it safe to use PowerQuest Partition Magic 3 or 4 with LVM? The last time I used it it changed a partition type, unannounced[1], and I'm worried about what other games it might play. FUP set to comp.os.os2.misc [1] ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

  1. Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    Is it safe to use PowerQuest Partition Magic 3 or 4 with LVM? The last
    time I used it it changed a partition type, unannounced[1], and I'm
    worried about what other games it might play.

    FUP set to comp.os.os2.misc

    [1] I had to use a sector editor to recover, once I figured out
    what they had done. Mucking forons!

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  2. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 19:11:37 UTC "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
    wrote:

    > Is it safe to use PowerQuest Partition Magic 3 or 4 with LVM? The last
    > time I used it it changed a partition type, unannounced[1], and I'm
    > worried about what other games it might play.
    >
    > FUP set to comp.os.os2.misc
    >
    > [1] I had to use a sector editor to recover, once I figured out
    > what they had done. Mucking forons!

    I wouldn't let it come near my OS/2 partitions. Do you know DFSEE?
    www.dfsee.com

    CU/2
    --
    Frank Beythien fBeythien AT gmx.de

  3. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    wrote:

    > Is it safe to use PowerQuest Partition Magic 3 or 4 with LVM? The last
    > time I used it it changed a partition type, unannounced[1], and I'm
    > worried about what other games it might play.
    >
    > FUP set to comp.os.os2.misc
    >
    > [1] I had to use a sector editor to recover, once I figured out
    > what they had done. Mucking forons!

    You just have to be very careful. If the partitions are big, it may not
    be able to cope.

    See: http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/lvm.html

    and look at the Repartitioning section.

    --
    Bob Eager

  4. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 20:17:37 UTC, "Bob Eager" wrote:

    > On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 19:11:37 UTC, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Is it safe to use PowerQuest Partition Magic 3 or 4 with LVM? The last
    > > time I used it it changed a partition type, unannounced[1], and I'm
    > > worried about what other games it might play.
    > >
    > > FUP set to comp.os.os2.misc
    > >
    > > [1] I had to use a sector editor to recover, once I figured out
    > > what they had done. Mucking forons!

    > You just have to be very careful. If the partitions are big, it may not
    > be able to cope.
    >
    > See: http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/lvm.html
    >
    > and look at the Repartitioning section.

    On my system PM 3.0 won't run with 768 meg of ram but will with 512.
    Quit using is years ago.

    Pete

    --

  5. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    wrote:

    > Is it safe to use PowerQuest Partition Magic 3 or 4 with LVM? The last
    > time I used it it changed a partition type, unannounced[1], and I'm
    > worried about what other games it might play.

    Adding to what others have said already:
    It's waaay too out of date. Isn't it much more than 5 years since they
    stopped doing any OS/2 at all? DFSEE is cheap, and the support is
    unreasonably good, and I'd rather use it and LVM than PM even if it
    worked.

    --
    Dan Drake
    dd@dandrake.com

  6. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In , on 11/03/2006
    at 08:32 PM, "Pete" said:

    >On my system PM 3.0 won't run with 768 meg of ram but will with 512.

    There's a patch for this.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp/eCS/DIY/14.103a_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)
    FILE PQMAGICO.EXE
    ; 12 Mar 05 SHL
    ; Do fixed allocation of 192MB
    ; Nop other tests
    ; code offset = 54530h to 5453Dh,
    ; file offset = 320A3h + 4530h = 365d3h
    ; mov eax, C00000h ; allocate 128MB
    VER 365D3 8B44240439E87606
    CHA 365D3 B80000C000909090
    VER 365DB 8D850000FFFF
    CHA 365DB 909090909090

  7. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    Will DFsee allow me to repartition a drive without losing the data on it?

    I've got a copy of DFSEE on my machine, but it seems mostly geared
    towards displaying what I have on my drives, and not towards making
    adjustents to them.

    Frank Beythien wrote:
    > On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 19:11:37 UTC "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Is it safe to use PowerQuest Partition Magic 3 or 4 with LVM? The last
    >>time I used it it changed a partition type, unannounced[1], and I'm
    >>worried about what other games it might play.
    >>
    >>FUP set to comp.os.os2.misc
    >>
    >>[1] I had to use a sector editor to recover, once I figured out
    >> what they had done. Mucking forons!

    > I wouldn't let it come near my OS/2 partitions. Do you know DFSEE?
    > www.dfsee.com
    >
    > CU/2

  8. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In , on 11/12/2006
    at 08:07 PM, "Hollis G. Pennewick" said:

    >Will DFsee allow me to repartition a drive without losing the data on it?

    In general, the answer is yes. The current version of dfsee is still
    somewhat limited in what kinds of partition types it can resize and how
    much it can reduce the partition size. Dfsee is not yet capable of
    reorganizing sectors within the a file system and this limits how much the
    partition size can be reduced.

    >I've got a copy of DFSEE on my machine, but it seems mostly geared
    >towards displaying what I have on my drives, and not towards making
    >adjustents to them.

    This is not really the case. Dfsee has many features that result in
    changes to the drive content. What version are you running?

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp/eCS/DIY/14.103a_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

  9. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In <4557cf49$1$fgrir53$mr2ice@news.west.earthlink.net>, on 11/13/2006
    at 01:50 AM, Steven Levine said:

    >In general, the answer is yes. The current version of dfsee is still
    >somewhat limited in what kinds of partition types it can resize and
    >how much it can reduce the partition size.

    I'm the OP. If it can move and resize FAT, HPFS, ext3 and reiserfs
    reliably then it's good enough for me. If it can move a logical drive
    in order to change the drive sequence[1] then it's perfect.

    I understand that others may need NTFS, VFAT and such, but those are
    not issues for me; I don't do windoze.

    [1] I've got a Warp 4 maintenance partition, which can't recognize
    LVM drive assignment.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  10. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:18:31 UTC, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
    wrote:

    > In <4557cf49$1$fgrir53$mr2ice@news.west.earthlink.net>, on 11/13/2006
    > at 01:50 AM, Steven Levine said:
    >
    > >In general, the answer is yes. The current version of dfsee is still
    > >somewhat limited in what kinds of partition types it can resize and
    > >how much it can reduce the partition size.

    > I'm the OP. If it can move and resize FAT, HPFS, ext3 and reiserfs
    > reliably then it's good enough for me. If it can move a logical drive
    > in order to change the drive sequence[1] then it's perfect.

    Resize:
    I think it can do FAT (but I haven't had a FAT partition for about 10
    years now), I know it can do FAT32, and HPFS, as long as you DEFRAG
    them first (or do a backup, format the partition, then restore to it,
    which actually does a better defrag than defrag does). I think it can
    also do NTFS, and JFS, drives. I am not too sure about the ext3, and
    reiserfs drives.

    Move:
    This can be done, and it shouldn't matter what file system is used,
    since DFSEE does that on a sector by sector basis. I have never tried
    that, so I am not too sure how it works.

    In any case you really should do a complete backup, that you know you
    can restore, before you try anything. You also need to be careful,
    that you don't go changing drive letters, for those programs that
    don't know about LVM.

    > I understand that others may need NTFS, VFAT and such, but those are
    > not issues for me; I don't do windoze.

    Lucky you...

    > [1] I've got a Warp 4 maintenance partition, which can't recognize
    > LVM drive assignment.

    Wouldn't it be better to simply update the warp4 to something that
    does understand LVM??? See:

    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~hrbaan/bootAble/index.html

    for a program that makesbuilding a maintenance partition (based on
    your current OS/2 version), very easy (it will also build a bootAble
    CD, or DVD, if you wish). I recommend the WarpIn (WPI) version,
    because it contains my Config Maker program, and that will help you to
    build a usable config file, without having to figure out how bootAble
    actually works.

    You can also retrofit the LVM support into Warp4. The instructions are
    on the internet, somewhere. Try google.

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  11. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In <45587eb8$9$fuzhry+tra$mr2ice@news.patriot.net>, on 11/13/2006
    at 09:18 AM, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
    said:

    Hi,

    >I'm the OP. If it can move and resize FAT, HPFS, ext3 and reiserfs
    >reliably then it's good enough for me. If it can move a logical drive in
    >order to change the drive sequence[1] then it's perfect.

    As Doug notes, moving and copying partitions is not an issue. Dfsee can
    handle this without problems. As I noted, there are limitations on
    resizing partitions. I recommend you read the writeup for the RESIZE and
    EXPAND commands in dfscmds.txt. The menu options are really just wrappers
    around these low level commands.

    Given today's large hard drives, it is usually pretty easy to work around
    dfsee's lack of full resize in place support with some combination of
    dfsee partition cloning and native filesystem copy operations.

    >[1] I've got a Warp 4 maintenance partition, which can't recognize
    > LVM drive assignment.

    I would suggest creating a minimal LVM aware maintenance volume.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp/eCS/DIY/14.103a_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

  12. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In , on 11/13/2006
    at 07:45 PM, "Doug Bissett" said:

    >In any case you really should do a complete backup, that you know you
    > can restore, before you try anything. You also need to be careful,
    >that you don't go changing drive letters, for those programs that
    >don't know about LVM.

    What's the issue for drive letters? The applications rely on the
    operating system, and the operating system is LVM aware[1]. Now, if I
    want to abandon drive letters entirely that might be an issue, but for
    the moment I've defined everything to LVM as compatibility.

    >Wouldn't it be better to simply update the warp4 to something that
    >does understand LVM???

    No, but when I get more disk space I might want a Warp 4 system and
    two eCS systems. I've kept my Warp 4 drive around on the off chance
    that I might want to run something that won't work under 4.52.

    >for a program that makesbuilding a maintenance partition (based on
    >your current OS/2 version), very easy (it will also build a bootAble
    > CD, or DVD, if you wish). I recommend the WarpIn (WPI) version,
    >because it contains my Config Maker program, and that will help you
    >to build a usable config file, without having to figure out how
    >bootAble actually works.

    Unless it knows how to migrate the relevant INI data for my
    applications, that sounds like more work than what I currently do,
    which is to leave my old system around when I install a new OS level.

    [1] In fact, LVM is mandatory.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  13. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In <455913c8$1$fgrir53$mr2ice@news.west.earthlink.net>, on 11/14/2006
    at 12:54 AM, Steven Levine said:

    >I would suggest creating a minimal LVM aware maintenance volume.

    Why? I use my maintenance system to do Unimaint functions that I can't
    do on the live system. I sometimes use other applications. I can
    see[1] retaining a full eCS system for maintenance, but a minimal
    system would just create more work for me.

    [1] And, in fact, I expect to do so once I have more disk space.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  14. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In <4559dd2b$7$fuzhry+tra$mr2ice@news.patriot.net>, on 11/14/2006
    at 10:13 AM, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
    said:

    >>I would suggest creating a minimal LVM aware maintenance volume.

    >Why?

    To avoid any drive letter renaming issues.

    >I use my maintenance system to do Unimaint functions that I can't do
    >on the live system. I sometimes use other applications. I can see[1]
    >retaining a full eCS system for maintenance, but a minimal system would
    >just create more work for me.

    Everyone's definition of minimal is different. I meant a setup with the
    minimal functions you would be comfortable with. For some, this means a
    setup with full WPS support.

    FWIW, you can add LVM support to your Warp4 partitions with minimal
    effort. This is what I have done for my remaining Warp4 partitions. Just
    another example of how flexible eCS/OS2 is.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp/eCS/DIY/14.103a_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

  15. How to LVMize Warp 4? - Was: Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In <455a06f6$1$fgrir53$mr2ice@news.west.earthlink.net>, on 11/14/06
    at 06:12 PM, Steven Levine said:

    >FWIW, you can add LVM support to your Warp4 partitions with minimal
    >effort. This is what I have done for my remaining Warp4 partitions.
    >Just another example of how flexible eCS/OS2 is.

    Pardon my ignorance, but how does one do that?

    TIA
    Nelson

    Nelson M. G. Santiago

  16. Re: How to LVMize Warp 4? - Was: Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    On Tue, 14 Nov 2006 17:30:14 -0200, Nelson M. G. Santiago wrote:
    >>FWIW, you can add LVM support to your Warp4 partitions with minimal
    >>effort. This is what I have done for my remaining Warp4 partitions.
    >>Just another example of how flexible eCS/OS2 is.

    > Pardon my ignorance, but how does one do that?

    To get Warp 4 to recognize (and use) LVMized volumes, replace Warp 4
    OS2DASD.DMD with OS2DASD.DMD and OS2LVM.DMD from an MCP or eCS system,
    and add BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD to CONFIG.SYS immediately after the OS2DASD
    line.

    To run the LVM utilities from Warp 4, also replace FDISK and FDISKPM with
    LVM.EXE, LVM.DLL, LVM.MSG, LVMH.MSG, FDISK.COM and the contents of
    OS2\JAVAAPPS (optional) from an MCP or eCS system.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  17. Re: How to LVMize Warp 4? - Was: Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In <455a51b0$0$177$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>, on 11/14/2006
    at 05:32 PM, Alex Taylor said:

    >To get Warp 4 to recognize (and use) LVMized volumes, replace Warp 4
    >OS2DASD.DMD with OS2DASD.DMD and OS2LVM.DMD from an MCP or eCS system,
    >and add BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD to CONFIG.SYS immediately after the OS2DASD
    >line.

    It's also a good idea to replace os2ldr and os2dump with the lvm aware
    versions.

    Steven

    Steven Levine MR2/ICE 2.67 #10183
    Warp/eCS/DIY/14.103a_W4 www.scoug.com irc.fyrelizard.com #scoug (Wed 7pm PST)

  18. Re: How to LVMize Warp 4? - Was: Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In <455a9041$1$fgrir53$mr2ice@news.west.earthlink.net>, on 11/15/06
    at 03:57 AM, Steven Levine said:

    >In <455a51b0$0$177$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>, on 11/14/2006
    > at 05:32 PM, Alex Taylor said:

    >>To get Warp 4 to recognize (and use) LVMized volumes, replace Warp 4
    >>OS2DASD.DMD with OS2DASD.DMD and OS2LVM.DMD from an MCP or eCS system,
    >>and add BASEDEV=OS2LVM.DMD to CONFIG.SYS immediately after the OS2DASD
    >>line.

    >It's also a good idea to replace os2ldr and os2dump with the lvm aware
    >versions.

    Thank you both. I'll give it a try.

    Regards
    Nelson

    Nelson M. G. Santiago

  19. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
    > I understand that others may need NTFS, VFAT and such, but those are
    > not issues for me; I don't do windoze.
    >
    > [1] I've got a Warp 4 maintenance partition, which can't recognize
    > LVM drive assignment.

    Here is a copy of the correct use of LVM from Warp Sever with earlier
    versions of OS/2 Warp.

    > 1.1 INSTALLING A PREVIOUS VERSION OF OS/2 AFTER INSTALLING OS/2
    > WARP SERVER
    > __________________________________________________ ______________
    >
    > OS/2 Warp Server uses the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) to
    > configure and manage disk drives on the system. LVM replaces
    > FDISK. Because of this, if you want to install an older version
    > of OS/2 (such as OS/2 Warp 4.0) on the same computer as OS/2 Warp
    > Server, you need to use both LVM and FDISK during installation.
    > After installation, use LVM on OS/2 Warp Server for all disk
    > management.
    >
    > To install a previous version of OS/2 on the same computer as OS/2
    > Warp Server:
    >
    > 1. From OS/2 Warp Server, use LVM to create an installable
    > volume for the OS/2 version you want to install. For
    > information on performing any of these steps, refer to the
    > "Quick Beginnings" book that came with OS/2 Warp Server.
    >
    > a. Start LVM by typing the following command at the
    > command line:
    >
    > lvm /si:fs /size:120
    >
    > b. Install Boot Manager, if it is not already installed.
    >
    > c. Create a compatibility volume for the OS/2 version.
    >
    > d. Mark the compatibility volume as "installable."
    >
    > e. Save your changes and exit LVM.
    >
    > 2. Locate the installation diskettes for the OS/2 version.
    > Replace all of the device drivers on the diskettes with
    > the OS/2 Warp Server counterparts. Do not replace any of the
    > device managers (.DMD files).
    >
    > 3. Add the following line to the CONFIG.SYS file on the OS/2
    > installation diskettes:
    >
    > SET COPYFROMFLOPPY=1
    >
    > 4. Install the OS/2 version.
    >
    > a. Boot the system using the OS/2 installation diskettes
    > you updated in step 2. Begin the installation process.
    >
    > b. When you are asked to select a drive for the
    > installation, do not accept the default. FDISK is
    > displayed.
    >
    > c. Find the FDISK partition you marked installable with
    > LVM. (It will appear with "--> LVM*" next to the name.)
    >
    > d. Use FDISK to mark this partition installable. Press F1
    > for help instructions on using FDISK.
    >
    > ATTENTION: Do not use FDISK to do anything other than
    > mark the partition installable.
    >
    > e. Save and exit FDISK. The installation window is
    > displayed.
    >
    > f. Accept the default drive and continue with the
    > installation.
    >

    > ATTENTION: FDISK is not supported as part of OS/2 Warp Server. Any
    > use of it beyond the scope of these instructions could
    > harm your system. Use LVM on OS/2 Warp Server for any disk
    > management.

  20. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    You said:
    >>>If it can move a logical drive
    >>>in order to change the drive sequence[1] then it's perfect.

    If you change the drive sequence, you will change drive letters for an
    OS that doesn't understand LVM drive letters. Defining a volume as an
    LVM volume, is only required if you want to expand a JFS volume, but
    it really has nothing to do with drive letters, except that non-LVM
    aware systems might think that an LVM volume is "free space". Due
    care, and attention, is required.

    > >Wouldn't it be better to simply update the warp4 to something that
    > >does understand LVM???

    > No, but when I get more disk space I might want a Warp 4 system and
    > two eCS systems. I've kept my Warp 4 drive around on the off chance
    > that I might want to run something that won't work under 4.52.

    ??? That doesn't make sense. There are very few (if any), properly
    written, programs that won't run on 4.52.

    If you install warp4, it will "see" the drive letters according to the
    old rules. That may not be what you have assigned with LVM, but that
    doesn't really matter, as long as you realize that the letters will be
    different. The only "important" drive letter is for the boot drive. It
    is actually quite easy to simply assing LVM drive letters to match
    what Warp4 will see, although that really should be done before you
    install your systems. It will also be necessary to keep your Warp4
    boot partition, completely within the first 1024 logical cylinders
    (usually 8 GiB).

    > >for a program that makesbuilding a maintenance partition (based on
    > >your current OS/2 version), very easy (it will also build a bootAble
    > > CD, or DVD, if you wish). I recommend the WarpIn (WPI) version,
    > >because it contains my Config Maker program, and that will help you
    > >to build a usable config file, without having to figure out how
    > >bootAble actually works.

    > Unless it knows how to migrate the relevant INI data for my
    > applications, that sounds like more work than what I currently do,
    > which is to leave my old system around when I install a new OS level.

    It is a MAINTENANCE partition. It is not meant to be used as a working
    partition. Selected programs can be added to it, using bootAble, but
    it does not build a complete system, and it won't run every program
    that is out there (although it could, theoretically, do that, IF
    somebody sits down to figue out how to do it). The advantage is, that
    you can build the system on a bootable CD, or DVD, for those cases
    where your hard disk just won't boot, at all. In many cases, a
    bootAble CD will give you the tools to analyse, and fix, the problem.
    With a little work, you can add other programs to the mix, if you feel
    you REALLY need them in a standalone, or an emergency, boot situation.

    I now have two boot volumes, using two drive letters (D:, and M:, but
    that is just the way it worked out). I install eCS on D:, and use that
    until I want to install another. The new one goes onto M:, and once I
    get that up to speed, D: becomes an emergency boot partition, until it
    is time to install again. Then the new one goes back onto D:.
    Alternating, in that way, I can keep all of my programs, and data, on
    other drives, and I can use the "old", until the "new" is ready to go,
    while I have everything still available, if there is some sort of
    problem. True, warp4 won't see the M: drive, as M:, but who cares? In
    fact, warp4, on my setup, would see M: as F:.

    > [1] In fact, LVM is mandatory.

    It is if you use any of the versions of OS/2 that use it. Warp4 (and,
    probably, warp3) can be converted to use LVM, if you want to do that.
    The main problem is with other non-LVM aware systems, that may see not
    matching drive letters.

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett