Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM? - OS2

This is a discussion on Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM? - OS2 ; Steven Levine wrote: What version are you running? > > Steven > version 3.07 all it gives me is a preliminary listing of the geometry of my fixed disks, followed by a crude graphic block diagram of all my disks ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    Steven Levine wrote:
    What version are you running?

    > Steven

    version 3.07 all it gives me is a preliminary listing of the geometry
    of my fixed disks, followed by a crude graphic block diagram of all my
    disks and partitions, followed by a neat, text form table giving many of
    the specifics of all my partitions, and that is it.

    Then it says "for help press F1" which I expected to find a command
    list, but there is nothing in there that can really be used to alter the
    discs, mostly it's just instructions on how to scroll the display window.

    Maybe Partition magic spoiled me, since that used to work great for me.
    Sure don't see near the functionality in DFSEE that I came to take for
    granted with PM.

  2. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    Doug Bissett wrote:

    > I now have two boot volumes, using two drive letters (D:, and M:, but
    > that is just the way it worked out). I install eCS on D:, and use that
    > until I want to install another. The new one goes onto M:, and once I
    > get that up to speed, D: becomes an emergency boot partition, until it
    > is time to install again. Then the new one goes back onto D:.
    > Alternating, in that way, I can keep all of my programs, and data, on
    > other drives, and I can use the "old", until the "new" is ready to go,
    > while I have everything still available, if there is some sort of
    > problem.

    Doesn't this mess up any application that remembers the boot drive in a
    configuration file?

    I think is is safer to make both bootable drives D and either hide (safer) or
    reletter (if you need to look at it or work on it while booted from the other
    bootable partition) the one you aren't booting from.

  3. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In , on 11/16/2006
    at 12:12 AM, "Doug Bissett" said:

    >If you change the drive sequence, you will change drive letters for
    >an OS that doesn't understand LVM drive letters.

    Yes. That's something that I would do when I want to change drive
    letters on a system without LVM, it's not something that I would do
    otherwise and it's something that would be irrelevant if I installed
    LVM on the older system. So, again, if I install LVM on the Warp 4
    system, what is it that I have to be careful about in connection with
    moving the drives?

    >??? That doesn't make sense.

    Think about it.

    >There are very few (if any), properly
    >written, programs that won't run on 4.52.

    And the ones that are not properly written?

    >If you install warp4, it will "see" the drive letters according to
    >the old rules. That may not be what you have assigned with LVM, but
    >that doesn't really matter, as long as you realize that the letters
    >will be different.

    It's not what you don't know that hurts you, it's what you know that
    isn't so. The drive order actually does matter.

    >The only "important" drive letter is for the boot drive.

    FSVO "important" irrelevant to my needs.

    >It is a MAINTENANCE partition.

    Yes, one less useful to me than what I currently have.

    >It is not meant to be used as a working partition.

    Which is why I don't build one. I use an old production partition,
    which already has the tools that I need.

    >The advantage is, that
    >you can build the system on a bootable CD, or DVD, for those cases
    >where your hard disk just won't boot, at all.

    I can use my eCS CD for recovery in those situations. IAC, there is no
    need for a recovery system on my fixed disk to be limited by the
    capacity of the CD recovery system.

    >I now have two boot volumes, using two drive letters (D:, and M:,
    >but that is just the way it worked out). I install eCS on D:, and
    >use that until I want to install another. The new one goes onto M:,
    >and once I get that up to speed, D: becomes an emergency boot
    >partition, until it is time to install again. Then the new one goes
    >back onto D:.

    So you *don't* do what you were telling me to do.

    >It is if you use any of the versions of OS/2 that use it. Warp4
    >(and, probably, warp3) can be converted to use LVM, if you want to
    >do that. The main problem is with other non-LVM aware systems, that
    >may see not matching drive letters.

    I have a rarely used DOS system, but every thing that I want it to
    have access to is either on its primary partition or on the first
    logical drive in the extended logical partition. Every thing else is
    HPFS, and everything I expect to add will be for only Linux, for only
    OS/2 or shared between Linux and OS/2. Linux doesn't use drive
    letters.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  4. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In , on 11/16/2006
    at 04:29 AM, "James J. Weinkam" said:

    >Doesn't this mess up any application that remembers the boot drive in
    >a configuration file?

    Yes, but not often. Unimaint handles such issues quite nicely.

    >I think is is safer to make both bootable drives D and either hide
    >(safer) or reletter (if you need to look at it or work on it while
    >booted from the other bootable partition) the one you aren't
    >booting from.

    I don't. I won't try to talk you out of it on your system; it's not my
    dog.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  5. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 04:29:30 UTC, "James J. Weinkam"
    wrote:

    > Doug Bissett wrote:
    > >
    > > I now have two boot volumes, using two drive letters (D:, and M:, but
    > > that is just the way it worked out). I install eCS on D:, and use that
    > > until I want to install another. The new one goes onto M:, and once I
    > > get that up to speed, D: becomes an emergency boot partition, until it
    > > is time to install again. Then the new one goes back onto D:.
    > > Alternating, in that way, I can keep all of my programs, and data, on
    > > other drives, and I can use the "old", until the "new" is ready to go,
    > > while I have everything still available, if there is some sort of
    > > problem.
    > >

    > Doesn't this mess up any application that remembers the boot drive in a
    > configuration file?

    I haven't found one yet. Why would a program care what drive the
    system is booted from? That is a very easy thing to determine anyway.

    In fact all of the programs, that I use, don't seem to store any drive
    dependent information. The biggest "problem", is that many programs
    store things like that in the system INI files, so you need to
    re-install (over top of the existing program), to get that stuff into
    the new INI files. You still need to do that, if you use the same
    drive letter for separate boot drives.

    > I think is is safer to make both bootable drives D and either hide (safer) or
    > reletter (if you need to look at it or work on it while booted from the other
    > bootable partition) the one you aren't booting from.

    Safer maybe (although I can't think of why), but far more difficult to
    manage.

    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  6. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 00:58:36 UTC, "Hollis G. Pennewick"
    wrote:

    > Steven Levine wrote:
    > What version are you running?
    > >
    > > Steven
    > >

    > version 3.07 all it gives me is a preliminary listing of the geometry
    > of my fixed disks, followed by a crude graphic block diagram of all my
    > disks and partitions, followed by a neat, text form table giving many of
    > the specifics of all my partitions, and that is it.

    Yeah 3.07 is ANCIENT history. Try version 8.08, which has menu items
    to do what you can't do with v 3.07.

    > http://www.dfsee.com/dfsee/

    You can't use a Ford model T truck to transport a modern D10 Cat.

    > Then it says "for help press F1" which I expected to find a command
    > list, but there is nothing in there that can really be used to alter the
    > discs, mostly it's just instructions on how to scroll the display window.
    >
    > Maybe Partition magic spoiled me, since that used to work great for me.
    > Sure don't see near the functionality in DFSEE that I came to take for
    > granted with PM.

    Try the new one. DFSEE knows about LVM, PM doesn't. DFSEE will do it
    right (and is well worth the cost, if you use it past the evaluation
    period). PM will simply cause you grief, with an LVM based system,
    although, if you REALLY know what you are doing, you can use it, and
    then use LVM to fix the problems that it creates.

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  7. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 18:13:23 UTC, "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
    wrote:

    > In , on 11/16/2006
    > at 12:12 AM, "Doug Bissett" said:
    >
    > >If you change the drive sequence, you will change drive letters for
    > >an OS that doesn't understand LVM drive letters.

    > Yes. That's something that I would do when I want to change drive
    > letters on a system without LVM, it's not something that I would do
    > otherwise and it's something that would be irrelevant if I installed
    > LVM on the older system. So, again, if I install LVM on the Warp 4
    > system, what is it that I have to be careful about in connection with
    > moving the drives?

    Windows??? Linux???

    > >??? That doesn't make sense.

    > Think about it.

    Thinking requires something worth thinking about...

    > >There are very few (if any), properly
    > >written, programs that won't run on 4.52.

    > And the ones that are not properly written?

    Find a replacement. If they are that badly written, they probably need
    the specific version of OS/2 that they were written for, and an old
    machine that matches that vintage of software...

    > >If you install warp4, it will "see" the drive letters according to
    > >the old rules. That may not be what you have assigned with LVM, but
    > >that doesn't really matter, as long as you realize that the letters
    > >will be different.

    > It's not what you don't know that hurts you, it's what you know that
    > isn't so. The drive order actually does matter.
    >
    > >The only "important" drive letter is for the boot drive.

    > FSVO "important" irrelevant to my needs.
    >
    > >It is a MAINTENANCE partition.

    > Yes, one less useful to me than what I currently have.

    Is it???

    > >It is not meant to be used as a working partition.

    > Which is why I don't build one. I use an old production partition,
    > which already has the tools that I need.

    I find that my old partitions become useless for "normal" work, after
    a short period. They do work fine as a "maintenance" partition, which
    is rarely needed anyway.If you are trying to use a Warp4 partition,
    as a "maintenance" partition, for an LVM based system, you may find
    that there are incompatibilities that will, eventually, cause you
    grief.

    > >The advantage is, that
    > >you can build the system on a bootable CD, or DVD, for those cases
    > >where your hard disk just won't boot, at all.

    > I can use my eCS CD for recovery in those situations. IAC, there is no
    > need for a recovery system on my fixed disk to be limited by the
    > capacity of the CD recovery system.

    BootAble creates a far more customized boot system, with programs like
    DFSEE, BackAgain/2, Firefox, and others, that are not on the eCS
    install disk, but may be needed to be able to 'fix" a problem.

    > >I now have two boot volumes, using two drive letters (D:, and M:,
    > >but that is just the way it worked out). I install eCS on D:, and
    > >use that until I want to install another. The new one goes onto M:,
    > >and once I get that up to speed, D: becomes an emergency boot
    > >partition, until it is time to install again. Then the new one goes
    > >back onto D:.

    > So you *don't* do what you were telling me to do.

    Actually, I do, but I also do the other method. It depends on which
    machine (size of hard disk), which method I actually use. I do use
    bootAble, to build a customized boot CD (or DVD), for doing things
    that do require a stand alone boot system, for all of my systems.

    > >It is if you use any of the versions of OS/2 that use it. Warp4
    > >(and, probably, warp3) can be converted to use LVM, if you want to
    > >do that. The main problem is with other non-LVM aware systems, that
    > >may see not matching drive letters.

    > I have a rarely used DOS system, but every thing that I want it to
    > have access to is either on its primary partition or on the first
    > logical drive in the extended logical partition. Every thing else is
    > HPFS, and everything I expect to add will be for only Linux, for only
    > OS/2 or shared between Linux and OS/2. Linux doesn't use drive
    > letters.

    Suit yourself, but I think you are unecessarily complicating your
    life...

    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    dougb007 at telus dot net

  8. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    Hallo,
    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz schrieb:
    > Is it safe to use PowerQuest Partition Magic 3 or 4 with LVM? The last

    3 and 4 are rather old and I wouldn't venture to start one of this versions on
    newer (bigger) disks. In the last years I only once used PQ8 to resize a ntfs
    partition but use DFSee for all other disk related tasks. And even then I made a
    backup of all partition tables with DFSee before (psave *...)

    Andi

  9. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In , on 11/17/2006
    at 07:23 PM, "Doug Bissett" said:

    >Windows???

    On your systen. Not on mine.

    >Linux???

    Doesn't use drive letters.

    >Find a replacement.

    Why bother?

    >Is it???

    Yes.

    >I find that my old partitions become useless for "normal" work,
    >after a short period.

    I don't use my old partitions for normal work; I use them for
    maintenance.

    >BootAble creates a far more customized boot system, with programs
    >like DFSEE, BackAgain/2, Firefox, and others, that are not on the
    >eCS install disk, but may be needed to be able to 'fix" a problem.

    I can install any and all of them on my normal systems. The only thing
    that a customized boot partition would buy me is a smaller partition
    size, and at today's disk prices it isn't worth the hassle.

    >I do use bootAble, to build a customized boot CD (or DVD),

    Which is the one case where I said I might find it of use.

    >Suit yourself, but I think you are unecessarily complicating your
    >life...

    Au contraire; creating a specialized boot partition would
    unnecessarily complicate my life. I get my maintenance partition
    automatically 95% of the time.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  10. Re: Safe to use PQ Partition Magic with LVM?

    In , on 11/17/2006
    at 07:23 PM, "Doug Bissett" said:

    >The biggest "problem", is that many programs store things like that
    >in the system INI files, so you need to re-install (over top of the
    >existing program), to get that stuff into the new INI files.

    I've found that with programs like DeskMan/2 and Unimaint you can
    often avoid that.