Opening a command window - OS2

This is a discussion on Opening a command window - OS2 ; Hello, Recently command line windows have been opening un-maximized and at a different location than what I want. I did have mouse/hand/keyboard fumbling incident that caused this change of behavior. I do not remember how have the os/2 windows open ...

  1. Opening a command window

    Hello,
    Recently command line windows have been opening un-maximized and at a
    different location than what I want. I did have mouse/hand/keyboard
    fumbling incident that caused this change of behavior.
    I do not remember how have the os/2 windows open maximized, and how to
    have them open in the same place always. Does anyone know how?

    os/2 WSeB 4.50 fp3

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  2. Re: Opening a command window

    On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:34:54 UTC, Jim Moe
    wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Recently command line windows have been opening un-maximized and at a
    > different location than what I want. I did have mouse/hand/keyboard
    > fumbling incident that caused this change of behavior.
    > I do not remember how have the os/2 windows open maximized, and how to
    > have them open in the same place always. Does anyone know how?

    I think you just open it, maximize it, then move it to where you
    want it while holding down the key.

    --
    Fred Blau
    (Remove SPAM-STOP from e-mail address)

  3. Re: Opening a command window

    On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:30:44 GMT, Fred Blau
    wrote:
    >> Recently command line windows have been opening un-maximized and at a
    >> different location than what I want. I did have mouse/hand/keyboard
    >> fumbling incident that caused this change of behavior.
    >> I do not remember how have the os/2 windows open maximized, and how to
    >> have them open in the same place always. Does anyone know how?

    > I think you just open it, maximize it, then move it to where you
    > want it while holding down the key.

    Also hold down Shift while clicking the maximize button.

    --
    Alex Taylor
    http://www.cs-club.org/~alex

    Remove hat to reply (reply-to address).

  4. Re: Opening a command window

    Alex Taylor wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:30:44 GMT, Fred Blau
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Recently command line windows have been opening un-maximized and at a
    >>>different location than what I want. I did have mouse/hand/keyboard
    >>>fumbling incident that caused this change of behavior.
    >>> I do not remember how have the os/2 windows open maximized, and how to
    >>>have them open in the same place always. Does anyone know how?

    >>I think you just open it, maximize it, then move it to where you
    >>want it while holding down the key.

    > Also hold down Shift while clicking the maximize button.

    That's supposed to work and it usually does. However, I have frequently seen
    OS/2 systems get into a state where the maximize and position while holding
    shift technique didn't work. I have never been able to figure out what causes
    this failure. However, the parameters that control window opening behavior for
    VIO windows are stored in the User Ini file in an application called Shield.
    There are three keywords: fMaximize, ~Font Size..., and sInitialShape

    While your system is behaving as you desire, use regedit2 to export Shield to a
    file, say, shield.reg. Then if you have trouble getting windows to open the way
    you want, you can always pop into regedit2 and import the correct settings.

    For example here are the contents of shield.reg on my T22:

    REGEDIT4

    [HINI_USER_PROFILE\Shield]
    fMaximize="1"
    ~Font Size...=hex:08,0e
    sInitialShape=hex:87,00,dc,02,28,03,08,00,64,00,03 ,00,00,00,6e,01,00,80

  5. Re: Opening a command window

    Jim Moe wrote:
    > Recently command line windows have been opening un-maximized and at a
    > different location than what I want. I did have mouse/hand/keyboard
    > fumbling incident that caused this change of behavior.
    > I do not remember how have the os/2 windows open maximized, and how to
    > have them open in the same place always. Does anyone know how?

    Yes, using the key worked. Thanks to all who answered!

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

  6. Re: Opening a command window

    Please someone?

    James J. Weinkam wrote:

    >> Also hold down Shift while clicking the maximize button.
    >>

    > That's supposed to work and it usually does. However, I have
    > frequently seen OS/2 systems get into a state where the maximize and
    > position while holding shift technique didn't work. I have never been
    > able to figure out what causes this failure.

    Yes! Nor me said the flea! I have a couple of boxes which I can no
    longer set the VIO window opening position and have it stick there.
    Normally what you do is open a DOS-VDM window session. You then
    MAXIMIZE the session which puts that window in the opper left hand
    corner of the Desktop right under the WPS if it is on top.

    Then while holding the keys down you drag the DOS-VDM window session
    object to where you want it to open. You release the mouse and then let
    up the hold keys. But it can happen that this doesn't work any longer.

    I've found that this seems to be related somehow to the font size
    selection for the window session. For smaller font sizes your selected
    window location will stick. But for larger font sizes, even though they
    are fully capable of being opened totally on the Desktop, the selected
    position will no longer stick.

    As well, it may somehow be related to the use of an added object into
    your STARTUP.CMD folder object. I think that if you have Privoxy, for
    example, added to your startup folder, and it is by default, a hidden
    window session, if perhaps that window location is in a position which
    may be somehow causing a space conflict if you choose a larger font
    size, then this may be why the larger font size won't stick. But I can'
    prove this yet. I've been searching for the answer for this for a
    couple months now without success.

    Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

    > However, the parameters that control window opening behavior for VIO
    > windows are stored in the User Ini file in an application called
    > Shield. There are three keywords: fMaximize, ~Font Size..., and
    > sInitialShape
    >
    > While your system is behaving as you desire, use regedit2 to export
    > Shield to a file, say, shield.reg. Then if you have trouble getting
    > windows to open the way you want, you can always pop into regedit2 and
    > import the correct settings.
    >
    > For example here are the contents of shield.reg on my T22:
    >
    > REGEDIT4
    >
    > [HINI_USER_PROFILE\Shield]
    > fMaximize="1"
    > ~Font Size...=hex:08,0e
    > sInitialShape=hex:87,00,dc,02,28,03,08,00,64,00,03 ,00,00,00,6e,01,00,80

    --

    --> Sleep well; OS2's still awake!

    Mike Luther

  7. Re: Opening a command window

    > [discussions of rituals required to make certain things happen]

    Nobody has yet mentioned that the chicken blood _must_ be that of
    a Rhode Island Red, fed only on corn harvested under a Full Moon.

    C'mon guys, try to get it right! ;-)
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  8. Re: Opening a command window

    Another trick is to open the properties of the command prompt icon and
    use something like the following line in the Parameters box:

    /k mode 80,80 & white & yaos

    which opens the window as 80 lines of 80 characters with a white
    background and dark blue characters (the way I like it) and invokes
    the YAOS command shell (available on hobbes)

    white.cmd is as follows:

    echo ^[[0;47;34;5m
    cls

    where ^[ is the escape character quoted. Of course, white.cmd and
    yaos.exe need to be in the path.

    Nate Liskov

    Jim Moe wrote:

    > Jim Moe wrote:
    > > Recently command line windows have been opening un-maximized and at a
    > > different location than what I want. I did have mouse/hand/keyboard
    > > fumbling incident that caused this change of behavior.
    > > I do not remember how have the os/2 windows open maximized, and how to
    > > have them open in the same place always. Does anyone know how?
    > >

    > Yes, using the key worked. Thanks to all who answered!

    --
    nate_NOSPAM@lcs.mit.edu http://nateliskov.kicks-ass.org
    or http://home.comcast.net/~nateliskov

+ Reply to Thread