Core 2 Duo systems - OS2

This is a discussion on Core 2 Duo systems - OS2 ; Reposted from c.o.o.setup.misc to see if there are people here running recent systems. I'd also take an AMD X2 system if it worked perfectly but I think I'd prefer Intel if possible! Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Core 2 Duo systems

  1. Core 2 Duo systems

    Reposted from c.o.o.setup.misc to see if there are people here running recent
    systems. I'd also take an AMD X2 system if it worked perfectly but I think I'd
    prefer Intel if possible!

    Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?

    Don't care much about audio.
    Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    will take such an ancient thing
    Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard
    Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more
    Needs working USB
    At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)

    Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but
    will go that route if required.

    And, no, I don't want a Mac!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  2. Re: Core 2 Duo systems

    On 30 , 01:51, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:
    > Reposted from c.o.o.setup.misc to see if there are people here running recent
    > systems. I'd also take an AMD X2 system if it worked perfectly but I think I'd
    > prefer Intel if possible!
    >
    > Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?
    >
    > Don't care much about audio.
    > Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    > will take such an ancient thing
    > Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard
    > Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more
    > Needs working USB
    > At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)
    >
    > Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but
    > will go that route if required.


    http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php


    > And, no, I don't want a Mac!


    yee, Mac = ASUS.


  3. Re: Core 2 Duo systems

    eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru wrote:
    > On 30 , 01:51, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > wrote:
    >> Reposted from c.o.o.setup.misc to see if there are people here running recent
    >> systems. I'd also take an AMD X2 system if it worked perfectly but I think I'd
    >> prefer Intel if possible!
    >>
    >> Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?
    >>
    >> Don't care much about audio.
    >> Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    >> will take such an ancient thing
    >> Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard
    >> Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more
    >> Needs working USB
    >> At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)
    >>
    >> Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but
    >> will go that route if required.

    >
    > http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php
    >
    >
    >> And, no, I don't want a Mac!

    >
    > yee, Mac = ASUS.
    >


    I only see one motherboard listed on the website...an ASUS M2V
    motherboard. This is an AMD Socket AM2 motherboard with a VIA chipset,
    an on board Gigabit NIC, ALC660 sound, as well as 4 pci slots, pci-e
    video, floppy connector, usb 2.0, etc that is a current model. The web
    page above does not say if the onboard alc660 sound works but the
    onboard nic didn't. Overall, though, it looks like it is a motherboard
    that will run os2/ecs with a current socket am2 processor which is great
    news. AFAIK, this is the only via-based motherboard that works with
    Socket AM2.

    More info on the asus website at:



    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  4. Re: Core 2 Duo systems

    On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:18:08 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "David T. Johnson"
    wrote:

    > eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru wrote:
    > > On 30 , 01:51, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > > wrote:
    > >> Reposted from c.o.o.setup.misc to see if there are people here running recent
    > >> systems. I'd also take an AMD X2 system if it worked perfectly but I think I'd
    > >> prefer Intel if possible!
    > >>
    > >> Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?
    > >>
    > >> Don't care much about audio.
    > >> Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    > >> will take such an ancient thing
    > >> Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard
    > >> Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more
    > >> Needs working USB
    > >> At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)
    > >>
    > >> Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but
    > >> will go that route if required.

    > >
    > > http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php
    > >
    > >
    > >> And, no, I don't want a Mac!

    > >
    > > yee, Mac = ASUS.
    > >

    >
    > I only see one motherboard listed on the website...an ASUS M2V
    > motherboard. This is an AMD Socket AM2 motherboard with a VIA chipset,
    > an on board Gigabit NIC, ALC660 sound, as well as 4 pci slots, pci-e
    > video, floppy connector, usb 2.0, etc that is a current model. The web
    > page above does not say if the onboard alc660 sound works but the
    > onboard nic didn't. Overall, though, it looks like it is a motherboard
    > that will run os2/ecs with a current socket am2 processor which is great
    > news. AFAIK, this is the only via-based motherboard that works with
    > Socket AM2.


    There are 143 motherboards in the list on that site but the info there is not
    particularly comprehensive. There's also no ability to search by cpu type nor
    date added (i.e. to weed out boards that are out of production or just don't
    support current CPUs etc). Nor can one search on whether LAN support works. You
    can't even sort the list by the one piece of info that is there - the "Mark" to
    get the 'very good' boards near the top of the list.

    This has the potential to be a good resource for choosing new hardware but needs
    more work to make it usable (sorry!).

    The best looking board I've found so far is an Intel D975XBX2 which has onboard
    Intel 82573L gigE network card which should be supported by the Intel drivers -
    at least it's listed that way on the Intel web site. I did quite like the look
    of the SuperMicro PDSBE but then I found that it has no PATA controller at all.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com

  5. Re: Core 2 Duo systems

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 15:18:08 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "David T. Johnson"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru wrote:
    >>> On 30 ���, 01:51, "Trevor Hemsley"
    >>> wrote:
    >>>> Reposted from c.o.o.setup.misc to see if there are people here running recent
    >>>> systems. I'd also take an AMD X2 system if it worked perfectly but I think I'd
    >>>> prefer Intel if possible!
    >>>>
    >>>> Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?
    >>>>
    >>>> Don't care much about audio.
    >>>> Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    >>>> will take such an ancient thing
    >>>> Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard
    >>>> Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more
    >>>> Needs working USB
    >>>> At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)
    >>>>
    >>>> Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but
    >>>> will go that route if required.
    >>> http://ecomstation.ru/hardware.php
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> And, no, I don't want a Mac!
    >>> yee, Mac = ASUS.
    >>>

    >> I only see one motherboard listed on the website...an ASUS M2V
    >> motherboard. This is an AMD Socket AM2 motherboard with a VIA chipset,
    >> an on board Gigabit NIC, ALC660 sound, as well as 4 pci slots, pci-e
    >> video, floppy connector, usb 2.0, etc that is a current model. The web
    >> page above does not say if the onboard alc660 sound works but the
    >> onboard nic didn't. Overall, though, it looks like it is a motherboard
    >> that will run os2/ecs with a current socket am2 processor which is great
    >> news. AFAIK, this is the only via-based motherboard that works with
    >> Socket AM2.

    >
    > There are 143 motherboards in the list on that site but the info there is not
    > particularly comprehensive. There's also no ability to search by cpu type nor
    > date added (i.e. to weed out boards that are out of production or just don't
    > support current CPUs etc). Nor can one search on whether LAN support works. You
    > can't even sort the list by the one piece of info that is there - the "Mark" to
    > get the 'very good' boards near the top of the list.
    >
    > This has the potential to be a good resource for choosing new hardware but needs
    > more work to make it usable (sorry!).


    You're right, there are 143 motherboards listed, although a lot of them
    are no longer sold. I must have clicked on the 'latest updates'
    motherboard and missed the 'motherboards' link on the right. I think
    the site is a great resource, although it would be better if it could be
    sorted a little bit as you say.

    >
    > The best looking board I've found so far is an Intel D975XBX2 which has onboard
    > Intel 82573L gigE network card which should be supported by the Intel drivers -
    > at least it's listed that way on the Intel web site. I did quite like the look
    > of the SuperMicro PDSBE but then I found that it has no PATA controller at all.
    >



    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and Sea Monkey 1.5a

  6. Re: Core 2 Duo systems

    Hi,

    > Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?

    not a Core 2 Duo but a Core Duo, but this should not make any difference!

    > Don't care much about audio.

    Well will only run with older PCI cards.

    > Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    > will take such an ancient thing

    This can work either with an older nic and a native driver (Intel should
    be good) or some newer nics with GenMAC (but probably no nForce 4/5).

    > Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard
    > Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more

    So you need an older graphic card (f.ex. pre ATI Radeon X1000, like
    X300, X700 etc.)

    > Needs working USB
    > At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)

    USB and IDE/SATA should not be a problem, I would recommend an
    Intel-chipset if you really want a Intel Core-CPU!

    > Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but

    Probably you will need ACPI, so first try eCS 2.0b4 or install eCS 1.2R
    and add ACPI, DANIS and the latest kernel!

    --
    To Answer please replace "invalid" with "de" !
    Zum Antworten bitte "invalid" durch "de" ersetzen !


    Chau y hasta luego,

    Thorolf

  7. Re: Core 2 Duo systems

    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Hemsley View Post
    Reposted from c.o.o.setup.misc to see if there are people here running recent
    systems. I'd also take an AMD X2 system if it worked perfectly but I think I'd
    prefer Intel if possible!

    Anyone got a decent Core 2 Duo system running OS/2?

    Don't care much about audio.
    Do care about LAN - preferably gigE but could use a PCI card if the motherboard
    will take such an ancient thing
    Do care about video supported by SNAP but doesn't have to be on the motherboard
    Needs PCI slots - at least one (2 if gigE not built in), perferably more
    Needs working USB
    At least one working IDE port needed (as opposed to SATA)

    Be nice if it worked without needing extra fixes now only available via eCS but
    will go that route if required.

    And, no, I don't want a Mac!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK
    Trevor dot Hemsley at ntlworld dot com
    Lenovo 3000 J200 9690-53S
    Dual core
    SATA 80 Gig HD and DVD multi-player (Supported by Danis r175)
    On-board NIC... Not working YET, realtek (Works with PCI INTEL NIC)
    RAM 512Mb
    USB mouse/keyboard working

    About the OS:
    OS/2 LAN Server for e-business
    ver /r says:
    The operating system/2 version is 4.5
    Revision 14.093

    I have installed some patches (can't remember which ones)...

    I have not configured the following on-board HW:
    AUDIO... I do not need it, so I am not sure if that works...
    NIC... Can't make it work yet

    So far all of my apps work.

+ Reply to Thread