More mystery crashes on boot-up - OS2

This is a discussion on More mystery crashes on boot-up - OS2 ; In another thread there has been some discussion of intermittent mystery system crashes at boot-up. I wonder if I am having the same problem. The OS/2 version in use is eCS-1.2. The diagnosic listed by its SYSLOGPM.EXE's log file, with ...

  1. More mystery crashes on boot-up

    In another thread there has been some discussion of intermittent
    mystery system crashes at boot-up. I wonder if I am having the
    same problem.

    The OS/2 version in use is eCS-1.2. The diagnosic listed by its
    SYSLOGPM.EXE's log file, with comments by me, was:

    ----
    Date Time Entry ID Severity Module
    05/01/06 14:54:16 72 3 PMMERGE.DLL

    Description
    PM:S1 wininit1.c(415) 29h 01h First CreateMsgQueue failed PT_DETACHED
    ----

    What could this mean? This particular instance led to sign-on
    sounds looping endlessly. Hardware system reset was required to
    clear it. On reboot, no problem, except a number of:

    ----
    Date Time Entry ID Severity Module Description
    05/01/06 14:55:48 81 0 No data found
    ----

    The log shows many instances of this one, with varying Entry IDs.

    A couple of days ago, I had a similar boot time crash while the
    pale blue screen was showing, but without sounds. Again, a h/w
    reset cleared it.

    Performance otherwise seems okay. The hardware has been stable
    for almost three years. The OS, as stated, is OS/2::eCS-1.2 w/o
    changes (except probable irrelevances like reverting to the older
    E.EXE). RAM is 512MB. CPU is an AMD XP thing. No added widgets
    beyond RSJ's CD writer and LAN stuff I still haven't configured
    correctly.

    I run CHECKINI and CLEANINI regularly (most recently, New Year's
    Day).

    Any thoughts, please?
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  2. Re: More mystery crashes on boot-up

    On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:01:29 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    Stephenson) wrote:

    > In another thread there has been some discussion of intermittent
    > mystery system crashes at boot-up. I wonder if I am having the
    > same problem.
    >
    > The OS/2 version in use is eCS-1.2. The diagnosic listed by its
    > SYSLOGPM.EXE's log file, with comments by me, was:
    >
    > ----
    > Date Time Entry ID Severity Module
    > 05/01/06 14:54:16 72 3 PMMERGE.DLL
    >
    > Description
    > PM:S1 wininit1.c(415) 29h 01h First CreateMsgQueue failed PT_DETACHED
    > ----
    >
    > What could this mean? This particular instance led to sign-on
    > sounds looping endlessly. Hardware system reset was required to
    > clear it. On reboot, no problem, except a number of:
    >
    > ----
    > Date Time Entry ID Severity Module Description
    > 05/01/06 14:55:48 81 0 No data found
    > ----
    >
    > The log shows many instances of this one, with varying Entry IDs.
    >
    > A couple of days ago, I had a similar boot time crash while the
    > pale blue screen was showing, but without sounds. Again, a h/w
    > reset cleared it.
    >
    > Performance otherwise seems okay. The hardware has been stable
    > for almost three years. The OS, as stated, is OS/2::eCS-1.2 w/o
    > changes (except probable irrelevances like reverting to the older
    > E.EXE). RAM is 512MB. CPU is an AMD XP thing. No added widgets
    > beyond RSJ's CD writer and LAN stuff I still haven't configured
    > correctly.
    >
    > I run CHECKINI and CLEANINI regularly (most recently, New Year's
    > Day).
    >
    > Any thoughts, please?

    I would suspect that some hardware component is going bad, or,
    something that isn't configured properly is causing an IRQ conflict.

    For starters, put your hand on top of the case, if it is even a little
    bit warm, check for blocked airflow, or sticky fans, that don't run at
    full speed. Heat is not a good thing for computers.

    You may also have a problem, where some corrosion is building up on
    some contacts. If you unplug everything, and plug it back in
    (carefully, and using static elimination techniques), you can scrape
    that sort of thing off, and all should be good.

    It is also possible, that your local power supplier is starting to use
    brownout to reduce usage. You may not notice, that the line voltage
    has dropped, and it may just cause some voltage to go out of spec, and
    cause problems. A bad surge protector can also do that. A UPS
    (Uninterruptable Power Supply) might help.

    I am sure there are a dozen other possibilities, but that is all that
    I can think of, at the moment.

    Good luck...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

  3. Re: More mystery crashes on boot-up

    In article
    doug.bissett!SPAM@attglobal.net "Doug Bissett" writes:

    > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:01:29 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    > Stephenson) wrote:
    >
    > > In another thread there has been some discussion of intermittent
    > > mystery system crashes at boot-up. I wonder if I am having the
    > > same problem.
    > >
    > > [description]

    > [possible causes list: incipient hardware failure; overheating;
    > connector corrosion; mains power brownouts]
    >
    > I am sure there are a dozen other possibilities, but that is
    > all that I can think of, at the moment.

    Thanks, Doug. A good list. The brownouts I think can be ruled
    out: time of day and weather did not favour a heavy load on the
    system. The other three -- yes, possible.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  4. Re: More mystery crashes on boot-up

    On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:27:38 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    Stephenson) wrote:

    > In article
    > doug.bissett!SPAM@attglobal.net "Doug Bissett" writes:
    >
    > > On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:01:29 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    > > Stephenson) wrote:
    > >
    > > > In another thread there has been some discussion of intermittent
    > > > mystery system crashes at boot-up. I wonder if I am having the
    > > > same problem.
    > > >
    > > > [description]

    > > [possible causes list: incipient hardware failure; overheating;
    > > connector corrosion; mains power brownouts]
    > >
    > > I am sure there are a dozen other possibilities, but that is
    > > all that I can think of, at the moment.

    > Thanks, Doug. A good list. The brownouts I think can be ruled
    > out: time of day and weather did not favour a heavy load on the
    > system. The other three -- yes, possible.

    Don't completely rule out brownouts. I remember a discussion, a few
    years ago, where a user was having intermittant problems. It turned
    out, that his computer was up against a wall, where there was an
    elevator on the other side. The final resolution (although it didn't
    get fixed), was that the motor in the elevator was defective, and it
    was causing power loading, and a lot of electical noise, as it went
    by, and the combination was crashing the computer, sometimes. I think
    the user moved his computer as far away from that location as he
    could, got a UPS, and finally got rid of the problem. Your symptoms
    don't quite fit that scenario, but something similar (or just as
    strange) could be happening.

    Hope this helps...
    --
    From the eComStation 1.2 of Doug Bissett
    doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

  5. Re: More mystery crashes on boot-up

    In article
    doug.bissett!SPAM@attglobal.net "Doug Bissett" writes:

    > On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:27:38 UTC, ames@deltrak.demon.co.uk (Andrew
    > Stephenson) wrote:
    >
    > > In article
    > > doug.bissett!SPAM@attglobal.net "Doug Bissett" writes:

    > > > [possible causes list: incipient hardware failure; overheating;
    > > > connector corrosion; mains power brownouts]
    > > >
    > > > I am sure there are a dozen other possibilities, but that is
    > > > all that I can think of, at the moment.

    > > Thanks, Doug. A good list. The brownouts I think can be ruled
    > > out: time of day and weather did not favour a heavy load on the
    > > system. The other three -- yes, possible.

    > Don't completely rule out brownouts. I remember a discussion, a few
    > years ago, where a user was having intermittant problems. It turned
    > out, that his computer was up against a wall, where there was an
    > elevator on the other side. [...]

    Now you mention it, perhaps something we UKians wouldn't call a
    "brownout", rather a transient dip in voltage, could be involved.
    I run a heat pump unit to warm the study in winter (in summer it
    provides cooling). This draws quite a heavy starting current,
    26A IIRC. On the UK's 230V system a 6% volt drop is allowed by
    law (ie, that's the constraint on the electric company). The
    company fuse protecting the whole house limits the load to 60A,
    of which 26A is a goodly proportion. When the computer is fully
    running this never seems to cause glitches; but maybe at boot
    time some sub-unit could be vulnerable.

    Okay, will watch out for coincidences of h/p activation and OS/2
    crashes. Thanks again.
    --
    Andrew Stephenson

  6. Re: More mystery crashes on boot-up

    On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 03:47:32 UTC, "Doug Bissett"
    wrote:

    > The final resolution (although it didn't
    > get fixed), was that the motor in the elevator was defective, and it
    > was causing power loading, and a lot of electical noise, as it went
    > by, and the combination was crashing the computer, sometimes. I think
    > the user moved his computer as far away from that location as he
    > could, got a UPS, and finally got rid of the problem.

    Getting a bit off-topic here, but that reminds me of something that
    happened about 35 years ago at the FAA technical center near Atlantic
    City, NJ. That was in the days of mainframes and magnetic tape, and
    IBM, who was developing the software for the en route air traffic
    control system (still in use, by the way) had a problem with tapes
    going bad. They couldn't find any pattern to the failures--not brand
    of tape, age of tape, machine used on, programmer, program, etc.
    Finally they put together a team to investigate, and this is what they
    found. After a tape was used, it was returned to the tape librarian
    and stacked on his desk. Next to his desk was a steel filing cabinet.
    On the side of the filing cabinet, holding up some papers, was a
    large magnet. Sometimes the stack of tapes got as high as the magnet,
    and sometimes it didn't.

    --
    John Varela
    Trade OLD lamps for NEW for email