IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future - OS2

This is a discussion on IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future - OS2 ; jasonmbowen@gmail.com wrote: > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ry/l-scrnsave/ "OS/2 is finally being withdrawn on December 23, 2005. According to the IBM Web site on OS/2 Warp migration (see Resources), there is no replacement product from IBM. IBM suggests that OS/2 customers consider Linux." So ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

  1. IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    jasonmbowen@gmail.com wrote:
    > http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ry/l-scrnsave/

    "OS/2 is finally being withdrawn on December 23, 2005. According to the
    IBM Web site on OS/2 Warp migration (see Resources), there is no
    replacement product from IBM. IBM suggests that OS/2 customers consider
    Linux."

    So much for the claims by Serenity that eCS is the successor to OS/2.
    With no access to OS/2 source code Serenity can do nothing but pile more
    crap on top of an old version of OS/2.

    The eCS Guyİ

  2. eComStation Continues Distribution of OS/2

    The eCS Guyİ wrote:
    > jasonmbowen@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ry/l-scrnsave/

    > "OS/2 is finally being withdrawn on December 23, 2005. According to the
    > IBM Web site on OS/2 Warp migration (see Resources), there is no
    > replacement product from IBM. IBM suggests that OS/2 customers consider
    > Linux."
    >
    > So much for the claims by Serenity that eCS is the successor to OS/2.
    > With no access to OS/2 source code Serenity can do nothing but pile more
    > crap on top of an old version of OS/2.

    This is simply a Linux group in IBM promoting Linux. No surprises. Not
    even back in July: http://www.ubersoft.net/d/20050718.html

    eComStation is not the successor to OS/2. It is a distribution of OS/2
    and has been for six years. The successor to eComStation .. that could
    be the successor to OS/2. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  3. FUD4 IBM Announces: OS/2 being withdrawn

    The eCS Guyİ schrieb:

    >> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ry/l-scrnsave/

    > "OS/2 is finally being withdrawn on December 23, 2005. According to the
    > IBM Web site on OS/2 Warp migration (see Resources), there is no
    > replacement product from IBM.

    You have to read carefully: There is no replacement product FROM IBM.
    Even if Bob St. John defines it differently, I know where the successor comes from.

    > IBM suggests that OS/2 customers consider Linux."

    Well, I did that, but Linux does not suite my needs.
    eCS is the far better choice for me and will remain it for quite some time.

    > So much for the claims by Serenity that eCS is the successor to OS/2.
    > With no access to OS/2 source code Serenity can do nothing but pile more
    > crap on top of an old version of OS/2.

    Thank god, most of use like the "crap" (like bootable JFS, or ACPI) that
    Serenity piles on that really old version of OS/2.

    Go ahead, Bob, we want to see more of your "crap"!

    Happy X-mas,
    Herwig

  4. Re: FUD4 IBM Announces: OS/2 being withdrawn

    And we don't want to see any more of the FUD4!

    Stan

  5. Re: eComStation Continues Distribution of OS/2

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > The eCS Guyİ wrote:
    >
    >> jasonmbowen@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ry/l-scrnsave/

    >> "OS/2 is finally being withdrawn on December 23, 2005. According to
    >> the IBM Web site on OS/2 Warp migration (see Resources), there is no
    >> replacement product from IBM. IBM suggests that OS/2 customers
    >> consider Linux."
    >>
    >> So much for the claims by Serenity that eCS is the successor to OS/2.
    >> With no access to OS/2 source code Serenity can do nothing but pile
    >> more crap on top of an old version of OS/2.

    > This is simply a Linux group in IBM promoting Linux. No surprises. Not
    > even back in July: http://www.ubersoft.net/d/20050718.html
    >
    > eComStation is not the successor to OS/2. It is a distribution of OS/2
    > and has been for six years. The successor to eComStation .. that could
    > be the successor to OS/2. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob St.John
    > Serenity Systems International

    Yup, look at the new eCS 2.0 and the hope of eCS 3.0.
    Great is the idea of the Voyager project - with new kernel and WPS
    migration. This is the new furture for eCS, something like that.

    Bob, Merry Christmas and happy new year!

  6. Re: eComStation Continues Distribution of OS/2

    Bob St.John wrote:

    > Larry Chauvet wrote:
    >
    >> jasonmbowen@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ry/l-scrnsave/

    >> "OS/2 is finally being withdrawn on December 23, 2005. According to
    >> the IBM Web site on OS/2 Warp migration (see Resources), there is no
    >> replacement product from IBM. IBM suggests that OS/2 customers
    >> consider Linux."
    >>
    >> So much for the claims by Serenity that eCS is the successor to OS/2.
    >> With no access to OS/2 source code Serenity can do nothing but pile
    >> more crap on top of an old version of OS/2.

    > This is simply a Linux group in IBM promoting Linux. No surprises. Not
    > even back in July: http://www.ubersoft.net/d/20050718.html
    >
    > eComStation is not the successor to OS/2. It is a distribution of OS/2
    > and has been for six years. The successor to eComStation .. that could
    > be the successor to OS/2. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob St.John
    > Serenity Systems International

    Of course. The above is simply more of Larry's insane rantings.

    Keep up the good work Bob. It's actually quite refreshing to see your
    continued coolness and level-headedness in the face of all the Larry
    Chauvet crap around here!

    The eCS Guy

  7. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    The eCS Guyİ wrote:

    > jasonmbowen@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ry/l-scrnsave/

    > "OS/2 is finally being withdrawn on December 23, 2005. According to
    > the IBM Web site on OS/2 Warp migration (see Resources), there is no
    > replacement product from IBM. IBM suggests that OS/2 customers
    > consider Linux."
    >
    > So much for the claims by Serenity that eCS is the successor to OS/2.
    > With no access to OS/2 source code Serenity can do nothing but pile
    > more crap on top of an old version of OS/2.
    >
    > The eCS Guyİ

    I take it that an OS/2 update can't be acquired thru PA, then?

  8. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    > The eCS Guyİ wrote:
    >
    >> jasonmbowen@gmail.com wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ry/l-scrnsave/

    >> "OS/2 is finally being withdrawn on December 23, 2005. According to
    >> the IBM Web site on OS/2 Warp migration (see Resources), there is no
    >> replacement product from IBM. IBM suggests that OS/2 customers
    >> consider Linux."
    >>
    >> So much for the claims by Serenity that eCS is the successor to OS/2.
    >> With no access to OS/2 source code Serenity can do nothing but pile
    >> more crap on top of an old version of OS/2.
    >>
    >> The eCS Guyİ

    > I take it that an OS/2 update can't be acquired thru PA, then?

    An update of OS/2 can't be acquired by the purchase of eComstation now
    or in the future. If you have a PA subscription you can still obtain
    the latest release of OS/2. Serenity has no access to OS/2 source code
    and cannot update OS/2 at all. All Serenity can do is pile stuff on top
    of an older OEM version of OS/2 and that makes eCS unstable and less
    powerful.

    But you know that Dilbert. You're just being silly (again).

    The eCS Guyİ

  9. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    The eCS Guyİ wrote:

    > An update of OS/2 can't be acquired by the purchase of eComstation now
    > or in the future. If you have a PA subscription you can still obtain
    > the latest release of OS/2. Serenity has no access to OS/2 source code
    > and cannot update OS/2 at all. All Serenity can do is pile stuff on top
    > of an older OEM version of OS/2 and that makes eCS unstable and less
    > powerful.

    I notice no eCS user steps forward to disclaim the true facts and the
    failure surrounding eCS.

    Understandable.

    The eCS Guyİ

  10. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    The eCS Guyİ wrote:

    > Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    >
    >> The eCS Guyİ wrote:

    >>> "OS/2 is finally being withdrawn on December 23, 2005. According to
    >>> the IBM Web site on OS/2 Warp migration (see Resources), there is no
    >>> replacement product from IBM. IBM suggests that OS/2 customers
    >>> consider Linux."
    >>>
    >>> So much for the claims by Serenity that eCS is the successor to
    >>> OS/2. With no access to OS/2 source code Serenity can do nothing but
    >>> pile more crap on top of an old version of OS/2.
    >>>
    >>> The eCS Guyİ

    >> I take it that an OS/2 update can't be acquired thru PA, then?

    > An update of OS/2 can't be acquired by the purchase of eComstation now
    > or in the future. If you have a PA subscription you can still obtain
    > the latest release of OS/2. Serenity has no access to OS/2 source
    > code and cannot update OS/2 at all. All Serenity can do is pile stuff
    > on top of an older OEM version of OS/2 and that makes eCS unstable and
    > less powerful.
    >
    > But you know that Dilbert. You're just being silly (again).
    >
    > The eCS Guyİ

    I wasn't even talking about ECS, (it's irrelavant to my questions for
    the moment) only OS/2.

    I know one can get updates if they are a subscriber for another year.
    just aren't sure if one can buy an update at this late date via PA.

    my os is at warp 4.52 (cp2) and do really need the updated usb drivers
    (they don't seem to work with the usb mouse which is prolly at 2.0 and
    the mobo's usb is prolly at 1.3 and really no point in getting the usb
    keyboard)
    and the updated JFS drivers. then again meybe not... does seem like I
    need to get a usb 2.0 card, that might do the trick.

    I've been dragging my feet before katrina hit. I really didn't do much
    after katrina hit, she was not a very nice lady at cat4 at that.....

  11. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
    > The eCS Guyİ wrote:
    >
    >> Dilbert Firestorm wrote:

    > I wasn't even talking about ECS, (it's irrelavant to my questions for
    > the moment) only OS/2.

    Hey Dilbert...

    It's a natural response. Serenity & eCS Lusers have repeatedly claimed
    eCS is the 'future' of OS/2 and have implied that Serenity has the
    ability
    to change, alter, enhance or upgrade OS/2. "The Boob" has no such
    ability whatsoever. It's true what Doug says, the most Serenity can do
    is
    pile crap upon a powerful desktop operating system and blame the
    problems from doing so on the eCS user or on IBM. Be that as it may...

    > I know one can get updates if they are a subscriber for another year.
    > just aren't sure if one can buy an update at this late date via PA.

    Why not? IBM hasn't stopped selling maintenance contracts at all.
    They have stopped selling OS/2. Anyone with a Warp 4 license
    can subscribe to Passport Advantage and purchase an OS/2
    Convenience Pack maintenance contract. And it is automatically
    renewable. IBM renews it automatically at the end of each year
    and sends you an email and snail mail notice. You have the option
    of opting out or re-upping for another $60 or so...

    > my os is at warp 4.52 (cp2) and do really need the updated usb drivers
    > (they don't seem to work with the usb mouse which is prolly at 2.0 and
    > the mobo's usb is prolly at 1.3 and really no point in getting the usb
    > keyboard)

    My OS/2 system is at Warp 4.53. This is the most recent OS/2 Warp
    Convenience Pack release. I use a USB mouse and the latest OS/2
    USB mouse drivers released late Nov/early Dec 2005 this year?
    Works great, no problems whatsoever. Warp 4.53? See
    http://www.tavi.co.uk/os2pages/levels.html

    > and the updated JFS drivers. then again meybe not... does seem like I
    > need to get a usb 2.0 card, that might do the trick.

    You could try using Limewire, Xnap or Phex and search for
    " OS2 USBMouse_120105.exe " I think that's where I first saw
    it before downloading it from IBM.

    I don't use JFS and have no plans to do so. Learning how to
    manipulate an entirely new filing system is certainly not worth
    the time and effort. I'm sure the JFS supporters will come
    bantering in claiming "it's amazing" but who cares? My hpfs
    system(s) run perfectly fine and I know hpfs quite well.

    > I've been dragging my feet before katrina hit. I really didn't do much
    > after katrina hit, she was not a very nice lady at cat4 at that.....

    Katrina was awful and Fema was and continues to remain
    a joke. And I keep losing friends who believed George Bush
    when he said Saddam had "WMD" and was behind 911.

    Signup for Passport Advantage and purchase an OS/2 Warp
    Convenience Package maintenance contract. Once you have
    it select the option to have the latest release sent to you (for free,
    it's part of the contract).

    Hope this info helps, Dilbert.

  12. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    The eCS Guyİ wrote:

    > An update of OS/2 can't be acquired by the purchase of eComstation now
    > or in the future. If you have a PA subscription you can still obtain
    > the latest release of OS/2.

    That is a pretty big "if". If you do not have PA subscription, or if
    you subscription runs out next month, what do you do?

    Two things, first, eComStation users have access to every update
    released by IBM. This has been true since eComStation was announced six
    years ago and remains true.

    Second, perhaps the biggest difference between OS/2 and eComStation is
    that you can still buy eComStation. And the purchase is a simple, direct
    transaction.

    And the eComStation product that you purchase is being actively
    developed. There is a beta of the next release available, now.

    And I do appreciate the job you are doing promoting eComStation ..

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  13. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    booby, where is the name of that IBM contact who will confirm that you
    have the deal of the century; you're selling what IBm won't sell to
    enterprise customers? -->I see your friend Ester also ducked out on the
    question. Must be she know's you're full of bull**** too, or she would
    not have run from the story.

    In <43b00254$0$1762$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net>, on 12/26/2005
    at 08:44 AM, "Bob St.John" said:

    >The eCS Guy wrote:
    >

    >> An update of OS/2 can't be acquired by the purchase of eComstation now
    >> or in the future. If you have a PA subscription you can still obtain
    >> the latest release of OS/2.

    >That is a pretty big "if". If you do not have PA subscription, or if
    >you subscription runs out next month, what do you do?

    >Two things, first, eComStation users have access to every update
    >released by IBM. This has been true since eComStation was announced six
    >years ago and remains true.

    >Second, perhaps the biggest difference between OS/2 and eComStation is
    >that you can still buy eComStation. And the purchase is a simple, direct
    >transaction.

    >And the eComStation product that you purchase is being actively
    >developed. There is a beta of the next release available, now.

    >And I do appreciate the job you are doing promoting eComStation ..

    >Regards,
    >Bob St.John
    >Serenity Systems International

  14. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    > booby, where is the name of that IBM contact who will confirm that you
    > have the deal of the century;

    All the confirmation you need is the fact that the product is still for
    sale. I realize you have, in the past, put forward the part of the
    announcement that refers to sale of existing inventory/media. Two things
    establish that this provision does not effect eComStation.

    First, that the product is still available for download. No physical
    media required so much for "existing media restrictions". Second, the
    product has entered a beta for a new version to be released next year.
    All new media will be manufactured to fill those orders next year.

    Thanks for continuing to spread the good news about eComStation.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  15. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    In <43b0249d$0$1765$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net>, on 12/26/2005
    at 11:11 AM, "Bob St.John" said:

    >letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >> booby, where is the name of that IBM contact who will confirm that you
    >> have the deal of the century;

    >All the confirmation you need is the fact that the product is still for
    >sale. I realize you have, in the past, put forward the part of the
    >announcement that refers to sale of existing inventory/media. Two things
    >establish that this provision does not effect eComStation.

    That confirms you have unsold licenses. Now where is the proof that you
    have the deal of a lifetime and are now selling what IBM won't sell to
    enterprise customers????

    >First, that the product is still available for download. No physical
    >media required so much for "existing media restrictions". Second, the
    >product has entered a beta for a new version to be released next year.
    >All new media will be manufactured to fill those orders next year.

    That confirms you have unsold licenses. -->For a man with the deal of a
    lifetime, you sure are hiding from producing verification of it -->when a
    real business man would be going wide-open on the marketing of it. You
    ain't booby. Its because you are lying as always.

    >Thanks for continuing to spread the good news about eComStation.

    >Regards,
    >Bob St.John
    >Serenity Systems International

  16. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > The eCS Guyİ wrote:
    >

    >> An update of OS/2 can't be acquired by the purchase of eComstation now
    >> or in the future. If you have a PA subscription you can still obtain
    >> the latest release of OS/2.

    > That is a pretty big "if". If you do not have PA subscription, or if
    > you subscription runs out next month, what do you do?

    You renew it. Mine runs out in February and IBM has assured me
    it will be renewed "automatically" unless I decide NOT to renew it.

    What we *all* know is that you can't turn to Serenity, that's for sure.
    Serenity has no access to OS/2 source code and the most you
    can do is pile more crap on top of an already powerful operating
    system - which will make your product less stable and less desirable.

    Your claims of "development" have nothing to do with OS/2 but
    with the development of conning the buyer into believing they
    are getting something of 'value' when they are not.

    But hey, if people are stupid they are stupid.

    The eCS Guyİ

  17. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >
    >> booby, where is the name of that IBM contact who will confirm that you
    >> have the deal of the century;

    > All the confirmation you need is the fact that the product is still for
    > sale.

    Ummmm .... no. The only product Serenity is selling is unsold product from
    the previous IBM OEM contract.

    You have no new OS/2 product and no access to OS/2 source code.

    Why won't you publicly admit that? Do you think people are stupid?

    But go aead and lie to your customers. No one of any consequence
    really cares.

    The eCS Guyİ

  18. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    > That confirms you have unsold licenses.

    You speak about this as though I have some limited inventory of licenses
    and once those are sold, there will be no more. You are incorrect. My
    supply of licenses is unlimited. But that isn't really what's important.
    What's important is that IBM has withdrawn OS/2 from active marketing
    and Serenity Systems International continues to sell eComStation.

    That's really the only thing that counts.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  19. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    The eCS Guyİ wrote:
    > Bob St.John wrote:
    >
    >> The eCS Guyİ wrote:
    >>

    >>> An update of OS/2 can't be acquired by the purchase of eComstation
    >>> now or in the future. If you have a PA subscription you can still
    >>> obtain the latest release of OS/2.

    >> That is a pretty big "if". If you do not have PA subscription, or if
    >> you subscription runs out next month, what do you do?

    > You renew it.

    Not according to IBM. According to IBM, renewals (and re-instatements)
    have been withdrawn along with sales of products and media kits. If you
    don't like it, take it up with IBM.

    Go to http://www-306.ibm.com/software/os/w...uncements.html and
    select the appropriate geography. The following text is from the US
    announcement:

    > Affected parts
    >
    > Effective December 23, 2005, IBM will withdraw from marketing the
    > following parts licensed under the IBM International Program License
    > Agreement:

    Among the list of parts are the maintenance agreemens and renewals:

    OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL ANNUAL SW E1C4MLL
    MAINT RNWL
    OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL FROM OS/2 D5C4LLL
    XX TRDUP LIC+SW MAINT 12 MO
    OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL LIC+SW D5C4JLL
    MAINT 12 MO
    OS/2 Warp 4 5639-A29 OS/2 WARP INSTALL SW MAINT D5C4NLL
    REINSTATE 12 MO

  20. Re: IBM Announces: eCS dead product with no future

    In an earlier post, Bob St.John postulated:
    > letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >
    >> That confirms you have unsold licenses.

    > You speak about this as though I have some limited inventory of licenses
    > and once those are sold, there will be no more. You are incorrect. My
    > supply of licenses is unlimited. But that isn't really what's import

    Your website hardly inspires confidence : your "motto" must be on of
    the most uninspiring ones I have ever seen. Did you design it to stop
    people purchasing your products?

    "eComStation will remain available as long as it is a good business.
    There is no end in sight". - Bob St.John,

    e.g we will continue to sell it while there is a business doing
    it. Err, yes. I see

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast