Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5 - OS2

This is a discussion on Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5 - OS2 ; Okay folks, how does one do this? I ordered the OpenOffice 1.1.5 release on CD from Mensys. (May have been the wrong thing to do, but it's too late for that now...I don't care.) It runs (poorly at best on ...

  1. Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5

    Okay folks, how does one do this?

    I ordered the OpenOffice 1.1.5 release on CD from Mensys. (May have been the
    wrong thing to do, but it's too late for that now...I don't care.) It runs
    (poorly at best on PS/2 Model 9585-0XF with 60MB RAM, lots of disk swapping)
    but I got a prompt for "registration" during setup.

    Without registration the ability to print is disabled. That's not a deal
    breaker...I have other computers running OpenOffice that can print my files.

    Now I don't know what to do with this. Both Serenity's and Mensys' websites
    have been of no help so far. I'd at least consider registering OOO for OS/2
    if I could figure out how and what it will cost, if anything.

    Any thoughts?

    William

  2. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5

    > Any thoughts?

    I got the registration data included in the invoice.
    Have a look at the end. You should also be able to
    get the registration data on the Mensys site after
    logging in. Select "Serialnumbers" and you're there.

    BTW, did you by any chance only order the Media Kit?
    You have to buy also the Support Agreement:
    http://shop.mensys.nl/catalogue/mns_OpenOfficeOS2.html

    If you got the data, you can easily use the clipboard
    to copy the data from the invoice to the registration box.

  3. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5

    Hi!

    > BTW, did you by any chance only order the Media Kit?
    > You have to buy also the Support Agreement:
    > http://shop.mensys.nl/catalogue/mns_OpenOfficeOS2.html

    Hmmm...no, I did not purchase a support agreement. I didn't really think I
    needed one at the time. (I have played with OpenOffice 2.0 and didn't really
    care for it.)

    I suppose that (unless I am breaking any laws by not doing so) that I will
    not register. All my work can be printed elsewhere (there's no printer
    attached to the computer in question).

    Thanks for the answer and explanation.

    William

  4. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5

    William R. Walsh wrote:
    > Okay folks, how does one do this?
    >
    > I ordered the OpenOffice 1.1.5 release on CD from Mensys. (May have been the
    > wrong thing to do, but it's too late for that now...I don't care.) It runs
    > (poorly at best on PS/2 Model 9585-0XF with 60MB RAM, lots of disk swapping)
    > but I got a prompt for "registration" during setup.

    Hey - with 2 GIG or RAM and a Pentium 4 at 2.0Ghz it runs just as bad,
    trust me here. OOo 1.1.5 is useless as a serious suite of
    applications. The only thing it is good for is previewing Power Point
    Presentations.

    > Without registration the ability to print is disabled. That's not a deal
    > breaker...I have other computers running OpenOffice that can print my files.

    All you need to do to register it is use your old OOo v1.1.4
    registration key. OOo v1.1.5 doesn't have its own registration key.
    If you don't have an older key then holler at Mensys. You may have to
    do so quite a few times. It is well known that they are slow to
    respond to "complaints".

    > Now I don't know what to do with this. Both Serenity's and Mensys' websites
    > have been of no help so far. I'd at least consider registering OOO for OS/2
    > if I could figure out how and what it will cost, if anything.
    >
    > Any thoughts?

    Sure. If you're going to use OO then use the versions available for
    the "other" operating systems. OO for OS/2 is a joke. There really
    isn't much hope or faith in the (upcoming?) OO for OS/2 v2.0.

  5. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5

    "The OS/2 Guy" nakombinował(a) coś takiego:
    > Sure. If you're going to use OO then use the versions available for
    > the "other" operating systems. OO for OS/2 is a joke. There really
    > isn't much hope or faith in the (upcoming?) OO for OS/2 v2.0.

    There is work performed about OO2 right now, and guess what?
    It would be native app so should be faster and much better. I hope it will
    be relesed soon (this was told at warpstock in presentation about eCS 1.2
    and beyond), gcc is developing very well I can see that it's easier to
    port anything from linux, so I hope it would be easier to port this app
    also.

    --

    _| _ o o |_ Dominik Chmaj :: gg:919564
    (_| (_) (\/) | (\) | |\ http://www.dominik.chmaj.net

  6. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5

    William R. Walsh wrote:

    >Okay folks, how does one do this?
    >
    >I ordered the OpenOffice 1.1.5 release on CD from Mensys. (May have been the
    >wrong thing to do, but it's too late for that now...I don't care.) It runs
    >(poorly at best on PS/2 Model 9585-0XF with 60MB RAM, lots of disk swapping)
    >but I got a prompt for "registration" during setup.
    >
    >Without registration the ability to print is disabled. That's not a deal
    >breaker...I have other computers running OpenOffice that can print my files.
    >
    >Now I don't know what to do with this. Both Serenity's and Mensys' websites
    >have been of no help so far. I'd at least consider registering OOO for OS/2
    >if I could figure out how and what it will cost, if anything.
    >
    >Any thoughts?
    >
    >William

    If you want document compatibility with OpenOffice use the latest
    StarOffice 5.1a.
    If you want stability and performance on your (old) machine try
    StarOffice 3.1, all later versions added more useless and buggy feature
    and need huge amounts of memory (>64MB).
    For german customers I would prefer to recommend Papyrus.
    Don't throw your money into this blackhole - OpenOffice 2 for OS/2 is
    vaporware :-(

    Regards,
    Andreas Kohl

  7. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5

    Ninik wrote:
    > "The OS/2 Guy" nakombinowal(a) cos takiego:
    >
    >>Sure. If you're going to use OO then use the versions available for
    >>the "other" operating systems. OO for OS/2 is a joke. There really
    >>isn't much hope or faith in the (upcoming?) OO for OS/2 v2.0.

    > There is work performed about OO2 right now, and guess what?
    > It would be native app so should be faster and much better. I hope it will
    > be relesed soon (this was told at warpstock in presentation about eCS 1.2
    > and beyond), gcc is developing very well I can see that it's easier to
    > port anything from linux, so I hope it would be easier to port this app
    > also.

    LOL! We heard the very same thing from Serenity et al with regards to
    Open Office v1.0, v1.1, 1.4 and 1.5. NONE of these releases have come
    near to or equaled the same releases for the other operating systems.
    There is a small side to the OS/2 community who refuse to face the
    reality that surrounds them. Despite the fact that you've been
    presented time and again with a "half empty" glass you have turned your
    heads, coughed, and believed the con artist's claim that it was really
    "half full".

    Half full isn't anywhere near full at all. And I can guarantee you the
    OOo v2.0 release (if it ever happens) will be a day late and cost you
    five times more than it does the users of any other operating system.

    Come back to reality. Stop offering false hope.

  8. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5

    "The OS/2 Guy" nakombinował(a) coś takiego:
    > Come back to reality. Stop offering false hope.

    If it's always step after go and get linux and be Linux-Guy, Windows-Guy..
    or AnyOtherOS-Guy - I'm sure other community will *love* You and Your
    optimistic ideas

    ps. using eCS 1.21mr + newest OO 1.5 :-PP
    Don't reply - I'm not going to argue with You, it's rather worthless.
    So EOT :PP

    --

    _| _ o o |_ Dominik Chmaj :: gg:919564
    (_| (_) (\/) | (\) | |\ http://www.dominik.chmaj.net

  9. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5

    Ninik wrote:
    > "The OS/2 Guy" nakombinowal(a) cos takiego:
    >
    >>Come back to reality. Stop offering false hope.

    > If it's always step after go and get linux and be Linux-Guy, Windows-Guy..
    > or AnyOtherOS-Guy - I'm sure other community will *love* You and Your
    > optimistic ideas

    If you're going to lie to the OS/2 user (and the OS/2 community) then
    it is you who need to change operating systems. I use but *ONE*
    operating system - OS/2 - yet IBM told me ten years ago further
    development to OS/2 would end. Accept that. Stop lying to people.
    Again, stop giving them false hope. eCS is a dead product.

    > ps. using eCS 1.21mr + newest OO 1.5 :-PP
    > Don't reply - I'm not going to argue with You, it's rather worthless.
    > So EOT :PP

    Whatever you do, don't read this. It isn't meant for you. It is meant
    for the *real* OS/2 user reading these newsgroups and nodding his head
    in agreement with me. He/she is the OS/2 user who has faced the
    reality of our situation and worked hard to keep his OS/2 operating
    system at the latest level and working well. It is not aimed at the
    eCS Luser who is reading this using his problematic eCS product and
    pretending to himself that he is 'ahead of the game'.

    Now, can we assume you have officially departed from these OS/2
    newsgroups allowing us the freedom to avoid having to plow through
    anymore of your ridiculous rose-colored optimistic eCS spams?

  10. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > LOL! We heard the very same thing from Serenity et al with regards to
    > Open Office v1.0, v1.1, 1.4 and 1.5. NONE of these releases have come
    > near to or equaled the same releases for the other operating systems.
    > There is a small side to the OS/2 community who refuse to face the
    > reality that surrounds them. Despite the fact that you've been
    > presented time and again with a "half empty" glass you have turned your
    > heads, coughed, and believed the con artist's claim that it was really
    > "half full".

    There are no such OOo V1.4, V1.5 things, there are only OOo 1.1, 1.1.3,
    1.1.4, 1.1.5. And the newest OOo 2.0.

  11. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5 [FUD4]

    On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:14:25 UTC, Alex wrote:

    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >

    > > LOL! We heard the very same thing from Serenity et al with regards to
    > > Open Office v1.0, v1.1, 1.4 and 1.5. NONE of these releases have come
    > > near to or equaled the same releases for the other operating systems.
    > > There is a small side to the OS/2 community who refuse to face the
    > > reality that surrounds them. Despite the fact that you've been
    > > presented time and again with a "half empty" glass you have turned your
    > > heads, coughed, and believed the con artist's claim that it was really
    > > "half full".
    > >

    > There are no such OOo V1.4, V1.5 things, there are only OOo 1.1, 1.1.3,
    > 1.1.4, 1.1.5. And the newest OOo 2.0.

    You should know that the fudster has never seen OpenOffice for OS/2
    nor any OS/2 version. He knows nothing about OS/2 or its applications
    because he uses windows and linux but has never installed an OS/2
    version. He has proven that endless times by showing his ignorance.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  12. Re: Registering OpenOffice 1.1.5 [FUD4]

    Herbert Rosenau wrote:

    > You should know that the fudster has never seen OpenOffice for OS/2
    > nor any OS/2 version.

    No one has, since they don't exist. There are only OS/2 "Kits" for the
    Win32 versions.

+ Reply to Thread