Lost my templates - OS2

This is a discussion on Lost my templates - OS2 ; I installed (separately) on my Warp 4 (v4.52) and eCS v1.2 systems, the latest version of XWorkplace v1.0.4 and lost the use of all the templates in my Templates folder . When I drag one of them out to my ...

  1. Lost my templates

    I installed (separately) on my Warp 4 (v4.52) and eCS v1.2 systems, the
    latest version of XWorkplace v1.0.4 and lost the use of all the
    templates in my Templates folder . When I drag one of them out to my
    desktop my computer grinds to a halt and I have to restart it.

    When I remove XWorkplace my templates return to normal.

    Is this a known problem with XWorkplace? Is there a work-around or a fix?

  2. Re: Lost my templates

    Lynn Taupin schrieb:
    > I installed (separately) on my Warp 4 (v4.52) and eCS v1.2 systems, the
    > latest version of XWorkplace v1.0.4 and lost the use of all the
    > templates in my Templates folder . When I drag one of them out to my
    > desktop my computer grinds to a halt and I have to restart it.
    >
    > When I remove XWorkplace my templates return to normal.
    >
    > Is this a known problem with XWorkplace? Is there a work-around or a fix?

    A good thing to do is boot to a command line, dir into the templates
    folder, delete all files and directories in there.
    On next bootup, the templates folder should repopulate itself.
    Unfortunately the templates folder contains some directories and
    contained templates, that will not recreate themselves (I think, the
    internet templates folder and/or the multimedia templates folder inside
    the templates folder). So you may want to save these away to another
    place before doing the command line boot and repair.

    Lars

  3. Re: Lost my templates

    Lars Erdmann wrote:
    > Lynn Taupin schrieb:
    >
    >> I installed (separately) on my Warp 4 (v4.52) and eCS v1.2 systems,
    >> the latest version of XWorkplace v1.0.4 and lost the use of all the
    >> templates in my Templates folder . When I drag one of them out to my
    >> desktop my computer grinds to a halt and I have to restart it.
    >>
    >> When I remove XWorkplace my templates return to normal.
    >>
    >> Is this a known problem with XWorkplace? Is there a work-around or a
    >> fix?

    > A good thing to do is boot to a command line, dir into the templates
    > folder, delete all files and directories in there.
    > On next bootup, the templates folder should repopulate itself.
    > Unfortunately the templates folder contains some directories and
    > contained templates, that will not recreate themselves (I think, the
    > internet templates folder and/or the multimedia templates folder inside
    > the templates folder). So you may want to save these away to another
    > place before doing the command line boot and repair.
    >
    > Lars

    I took your advice and did as directed. The templates were recreated
    but they still fail to work. If I drag one out to the desktop it
    disappears and the system comes to a halt. I can't get a window list or
    anything to kill the action .

    I tried moving the folder to another partition and the results were the
    same. Now I can't get rid of the second Templates folder on that
    separate partition. I booted to command line and deleted all the files
    and directories but the folder would not delete. When I started the
    system again all the templates were recreated in that folder too. I
    checked the properties folder under the file tab hoping it was checked
    as archive but it wasn't. There must be some kind of hidden flag that
    won't allow it to be deleted. Now I have two template folders and none
    of the templates will work.

    If I remove XWorkplace the templates work as they should. Even if I do
    that I can't get rid of that extra templates folder.

    Thanks for your help but I think I'll just leave it alone for now.

  4. Re: Lost my templates

    Lynn Taupin wrote:

    > I took your advice and did as directed. The templates were recreated
    > but they still fail to work. If I drag one out to the desktop it
    > disappears and the system comes to a halt. I can't get a window list or
    > anything to kill the action .

    It's been a *long* time now, but I have a vague recollection that this
    was caused by one of the buggier features of XWP - try disabling Turbo
    Folders and see if that helps.

  5. Re: Lost my templates

    Steve Wendt wrote:
    > Lynn Taupin wrote:
    >
    >> I took your advice and did as directed. The templates were recreated
    >> but they still fail to work. If I drag one out to the desktop it
    >> disappears and the system comes to a halt. I can't get a window list
    >> or anything to kill the action .

    > It's been a *long* time now, but I have a vague recollection that this
    > was caused by one of the buggier features of XWP - try disabling Turbo
    > Folders and see if that helps.

    I checked and the Turbo Folders feature is not turned on. I am
    convinced it is a bug associated with XWorkplace. If I remove
    XWorkplace the Templates work as they should.

  6. Re: Lost my templates

    On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:07:38 -0500, Lynn Taupin wrote:

    > Steve Wendt wrote:
    >> Lynn Taupin wrote:
    >>
    >>> I took your advice and did as directed. The templates were recreated
    >>> but they still fail to work. If I drag one out to the desktop it
    >>> disappears and the system comes to a halt. I can't get a window list
    >>> or anything to kill the action .

    >> It's been a *long* time now, but I have a vague recollection that this
    >> was caused by one of the buggier features of XWP - try disabling Turbo
    >> Folders and see if that helps.

    > I checked and the Turbo Folders feature is not turned on. I am
    > convinced it is a bug associated with XWorkplace. If I remove
    > XWorkplace the Templates work as they should.

    So which features did you enable? Do you have any other WPS enhancers
    installed? Which Templates cause this problem?

  7. Re: Lost my templates

    Lynn Taupin wrote:
    > Steve Wendt wrote:
    >
    >> Lynn Taupin wrote:
    >>
    >>> I took your advice and did as directed. The templates were recreated
    >>> but they still fail to work. If I drag one out to the desktop it
    >>> disappears and the system comes to a halt. I can't get a window list
    >>> or anything to kill the action .

    >> It's been a *long* time now, but I have a vague recollection that this
    >> was caused by one of the buggier features of XWP - try disabling Turbo
    >> Folders and see if that helps.

    > I checked and the Turbo Folders feature is not turned on. I am
    > convinced it is a bug associated with XWorkplace. If I remove
    > XWorkplace the Templates work as they should.

    XWorkplace is very modular. If you've got the patience, try disabling
    one feature at a time and you should be able to find the root cause.
    Then you can get some meaningful feedback to the XWorkplace team.

  8. Re: Lost my templates

    Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:07:38 -0500, Lynn Taupin wrote:
    >>Steve Wendt wrote:

    >>>It's been a *long* time now, but I have a vague recollection that this
    >>>was caused by one of the buggier features of XWP - try disabling Turbo
    >>>Folders and see if that helps.

    >> I checked and the Turbo Folders feature is not turned on. I am
    >>convinced it is a bug associated with XWorkplace. If I remove
    >>XWorkplace the Templates work as they should.

    > So which features did you enable? Do you have any other WPS enhancers
    > installed? Which Templates cause this problem?

    I have the following enabled in XWorkplace:

    Replace Icons
    Replace default help panels
    Fix Class titles
    Replace "Icon" page in all settings notebooks
    Replace "File: and "Details" pages
    Extended system sounds

    Extended folder sorting
    Replace folder auto-refresh
    Folder split views

    Enable XWorkplace Hook

    Replace Desktop archiving
    Enable "Restart Desktop"
    Enable eXtended Shutdown
    Check Desktop integrity
    Pre-populate Desktop

    Replace "file exists" dialog
    Replace "Drive not ready" dialog
    Replace "Paste" dialog
    Replace delete with trash can
    replace File Dialog

    I have no other WPS enhancers installed that I am aware of.

    When I drag a "program" template to the desktop the icon is replaced
    with a greyed box with lines through it and the system comes to a full
    halt. I cannot kill the process because I cannot get to any option to
    kill it. A reboot is the only option.

    If I remove XWorkplace and reboot I can drag a program template to the
    desktop and it works as it should.

+ Reply to Thread