eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now - OS2

This is a discussion on eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now - OS2 ; ACPI 2.0.0 eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now (equipped with SMP, DualCore and HyperThreading CPUs). The purpose of the ACPI driver is provide ACPI interface to applied developers. ACPI project consists of: * ACPI-CA driver * Toolkit for developers of ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

  1. eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    ACPI 2.0.0

    eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now
    (equipped with SMP, DualCore and HyperThreading CPUs).

    The purpose of the ACPI driver is provide ACPI interface to applied
    developers.
    ACPI project consists of:
    * ACPI-CA driver
    * Toolkit for developers of drivers and applications

    Whatsnew:
    * Fresh Intel code
    * SMP support added

    ACPI driver is a product of Netlabs.

    http://betazone.ecomstation.nl/

  2. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    Il giorno Mon, 5 Dec 2005 00:08:55 UTC, un Tizio di nome
    eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru s'e' permesso di scrivere cosi':

    > ACPI 2.0.0
    >
    > eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now
    > (equipped with SMP, DualCore and HyperThreading CPUs).
    >
    > The purpose of the ACPI driver is provide ACPI interface to applied
    > developers.
    > ACPI project consists of:
    > * ACPI-CA driver
    > * Toolkit for developers of drivers and applications
    >
    > Whatsnew:
    > * Fresh Intel code
    > * SMP support added
    >
    > ACPI driver is a product of Netlabs.
    >
    > http://betazone.ecomstation.nl/

    Great, good job Netlabs!
    I don't have SMP nor HT (still stuck with my old K6-II), but my Mobo
    seems to have ACPI.
    I will fetch it.

    --
    Mentore Siesto
    Team OS/2 Italia

  3. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    I still cannot manually switch off the system
    after shutdown. Nothing changed for quite some
    driver revisions. It seems to be also noted in FAQ.

    Will this be fixed some point in time?

    Does it only appear on my system?
    Why are the developer systems not impacted?

  4. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    I still cannot manually switch off the system
    after shutdown. Nothing changed for quite some
    driver revisions. It seems to be also noted in FAQ.
    It's is a non-smp Athlon64 system which otherwise
    works fine with ACPI in Linux and WinXP.

    Will this be fixed at some point in time?

    Does it only appear on my system?
    Why are the developer systems not impacted?

  5. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 21:35:33 UTC, "Mentore Siesto"
    opined:
    > Il giorno Mon, 5 Dec 2005 00:08:55 UTC, un Tizio di nome
    > eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru s'e' permesso di scrivere cosi':
    >
    > > ACPI 2.0.0
    > >
    > > eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now
    > > (equipped with SMP, DualCore and HyperThreading CPUs).
    > >
    > > The purpose of the ACPI driver is provide ACPI interface to applied
    > > developers.
    > > ACPI project consists of:
    > > * ACPI-CA driver
    > > * Toolkit for developers of drivers and applications
    > >
    > > Whatsnew:
    > > * Fresh Intel code
    > > * SMP support added
    > >
    > > ACPI driver is a product of Netlabs.
    > >
    > > http://betazone.ecomstation.nl/

    > Great, good job Netlabs!
    > I don't have SMP nor HT (still stuck with my old K6-II), but my Mobo
    > seems to have ACPI.
    > I will fetch it.

    It's my impression that it isn't being offered for routine use, but as
    a test program and as a preview for developers to get their teeth
    into. Am I wrong?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  6. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 23:45:28 +0100, Heiko Nitzsche wrote:

    >I still cannot manually switch off the system
    >after shutdown. Nothing changed for quite some
    >driver revisions. It seems to be also noted in FAQ.
    >It's is a non-smp Athlon64 system which otherwise
    >works fine with ACPI in Linux and WinXP.
    >
    >Will this be fixed at some point in time?
    >
    >Does it only appear on my system?
    >Why are the developer systems not impacted?

    What happens if you hold the power button in for 4 seconds?

    There is a BIOS setting that changes what the power button does, you
    can set instant off or soft-off, if you have soft off selected you need
    to hold the power button in for 4 seconds to remove the power.

    This is how my BIOS is set, yours may be different but the option
    should still be there even if it's worded differently.

    --
    Regards - Rodney Pont

  7. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    > What happens if you hold the power button in for 4 seconds?

    Nothing. The system stays on.

    > There is a BIOS setting that changes what the power button does, you
    > can set instant off or soft-off, if you have soft off selected you need
    > to hold the power button in for 4 seconds to remove the power.

    I'm aware of this and it is configured for soft-off for getting
    the system to sleep manually. At least under WinXP this works.
    On eCS it also works with APM but it doesn't wake up anymore since
    I have upgraded the system to 1GB RAM. I think with 512MB this worked
    as well as soft off via eStyler's switching off capabilities using APM.
    That's why I have APM completely disabled in BIOS. Just ACPI (2.0)
    is enabled for use by WinXP and Linux (and hopefully for eCS soon).

    > This is how my BIOS is set, yours may be different but the option
    > should still be there even if it's worded differently.

    I'll try with instant off setting to see if it makes any difference.

  8. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 00:08:55 UTC, eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru opined:
    > ACPI 2.0.0
    >
    > eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now
    > (equipped with SMP, DualCore and HyperThreading CPUs).
    >
    > The purpose of the ACPI driver is provide ACPI interface to applied
    > developers.
    > ACPI project consists of:
    > * ACPI-CA driver
    > * Toolkit for developers of drivers and applications
    >
    > Whatsnew:
    > * Fresh Intel code
    > * SMP support added
    >
    > ACPI driver is a product of Netlabs.
    >
    > http://betazone.ecomstation.nl/

    I've installed ACPI, following the simple instructions (also disabling
    APM
    and enabling Hyper-Threading). It seems not to be behaving as
    expected. What I see is as follows:

    The boot process pauses with the announcement that line 133 will be
    ignored; there is no mention of an error number. The system doesn't
    wait for me to press any key, but proceeds to its next complaint,
    which is that line 132 will be ignored because of SYS1195. This error
    means that the statement is not a recognized system command.

    Lines 132 and 133 are as follows:

    PSD=ACPI.PSD
    BASEDEV=ACPICA.ADD

    These are precisely according to the written instructions accompanying
    the utility, so if there is an error it is probably not mine. Here is
    step 2 of the instructions:

    2. Add to config.sys:
    psd=acpi.psd
    basedev=acpica.add

    Should there be "SET" before the first of these? Or what? ACPI.PSD is
    in \os2\boot, as it should be according to the instructions.

    Apparently the system does accept line 133, because immediately after
    I press a key for the second complaint, this driver announces itself,
    so the short pause seems to be a matter of timing.

    The only other observation I have so far (which may be unfair, because

    of the unresolved PSD problem) is that an attempt to shut down and
    power off never finishes shutting down. The message "The system will
    power down once the shutdown is complete" remains on the screen.
    CTRL-ALT-DEL causes CHKDSK to be applied to drives on the subsequent
    boot, because they were improperly stopped.

    I would like a more detailed explanation of the switches for
    ACPImanager.exe. The brief treatment of this file assumes too much.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  9. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    Hello Stan Goodman,

    1) Please, forward all questions to the betazone forum.

    2) Yes, check that your CONFIG.SYS contains two lines:
    psd=acpi.psd
    basedev=acpica.add

    (no path/SET words)

    3) Do you use the latest kernel? (released in the second half of 2005
    or later, www.ecomstation.com)

  10. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:57:11 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > PSD=ACPI.PSD

    I think PSD lines will only be recognised by a uni or smp kerrnel not by a w4
    one (using the testcase naming conventions).

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  11. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    I had a look to the BIOS and soft-off is an APM
    feature and thus is not available as I have disabled
    APM support.

  12. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    Stan Goodman schrieb:
    > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 00:08:55 UTC, eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru opined:
    >
    >>ACPI 2.0.0
    >>
    >>eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now
    >>(equipped with SMP, DualCore and HyperThreading CPUs).
    >>
    >>The purpose of the ACPI driver is provide ACPI interface to applied
    >>developers.
    >>ACPI project consists of:
    >>* ACPI-CA driver
    >>* Toolkit for developers of drivers and applications
    >>
    >>Whatsnew:
    >>* Fresh Intel code
    >>* SMP support added
    >>
    >>ACPI driver is a product of Netlabs.
    >>
    >>http://betazone.ecomstation.nl/

    > I've installed ACPI, following the simple instructions (also disabling
    > APM
    > and enabling Hyper-Threading). It seems not to be behaving as
    > expected. What I see is as follows:
    >
    > The boot process pauses with the announcement that line 133 will be
    > ignored; there is no mention of an error number. The system doesn't
    > wait for me to press any key, but proceeds to its next complaint,
    > which is that line 132 will be ignored because of SYS1195. This error
    > means that the statement is not a recognized system command.
    >
    > Lines 132 and 133 are as follows:
    >
    > PSD=ACPI.PSD
    > BASEDEV=ACPICA.ADD
    >
    > These are precisely according to the written instructions accompanying
    > the utility, so if there is an error it is probably not mine. Here is
    > step 2 of the instructions:
    >
    > 2. Add to config.sys:
    > psd=acpi.psd
    > basedev=acpica.add

    Where did you place the files ? .PSD files HAVE TO BE in subdirectory
    \OS2 and .ADD files in \OS2\BOOT.

    Lars

  13. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 16:20:39 UTC, eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru opined:
    > Hello Stan Goodman,
    >
    > 1) Please, forward all questions to the betazone forum.
    >
    > 2) Yes, check that your CONFIG.SYS contains two lines:
    > psd=acpi.psd
    > basedev=acpica.add

    See my question, where this appears.

    > (no path/SET words)

    I had to ask.

    > 3) Do you use the latest kernel? (released in the second half of 2005
    > or later, www.ecomstation.com)

    That's it. I'll revert, and try again if and when eCS v1.2 gets here.

    Thanks.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  14. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 21:04:22 UTC, Heiko Nitzsche
    opined:
    > I had a look to the BIOS and soft-off is an APM
    > feature and thus is not available as I have disabled
    > APM support.

    I see no mention of anything of the sort in my BIOS. I also see no
    mention of APM, only ACPI.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  15. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 21:39:12 UTC, Lars Erdmann
    opined:
    > Stan Goodman schrieb:
    > > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 00:08:55 UTC, eugenegorbunoff@mail.ru opined:
    > >
    > >>ACPI 2.0.0
    > >>
    > >>eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now
    > >>(equipped with SMP, DualCore and HyperThreading CPUs).
    > >>
    > >>The purpose of the ACPI driver is provide ACPI interface to applied
    > >>developers.
    > >>ACPI project consists of:
    > >>* ACPI-CA driver
    > >>* Toolkit for developers of drivers and applications
    > >>
    > >>Whatsnew:
    > >>* Fresh Intel code
    > >>* SMP support added
    > >>
    > >>ACPI driver is a product of Netlabs.
    > >>
    > >>http://betazone.ecomstation.nl/

    > > I've installed ACPI, following the simple instructions (also disabling
    > > APM
    > > and enabling Hyper-Threading). It seems not to be behaving as
    > > expected. What I see is as follows:
    > >
    > > The boot process pauses with the announcement that line 133 will be
    > > ignored; there is no mention of an error number. The system doesn't
    > > wait for me to press any key, but proceeds to its next complaint,
    > > which is that line 132 will be ignored because of SYS1195. This error
    > > means that the statement is not a recognized system command.
    > >
    > > Lines 132 and 133 are as follows:
    > >
    > > PSD=ACPI.PSD
    > > BASEDEV=ACPICA.ADD
    > >
    > > These are precisely according to the written instructions accompanying
    > > the utility, so if there is an error it is probably not mine. Here is
    > > step 2 of the instructions:
    > >
    > > 2. Add to config.sys:
    > > psd=acpi.psd
    > > basedev=acpica.add

    > Where did you place the files ? .PSD files HAVE TO BE in subdirectory
    > \OS2 and .ADD files in \OS2\BOOT.
    >

    > Lars

    That's not what the instructions say. Here is what's in the docs:

    1. copy acpi.psd to \os2\boot
    copy acpica.add to \os2\boot
    copy acpi32.dll to \os2\dll

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  16. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:14:18 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    opined:
    > On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:57:11 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > PSD=ACPI.PSD

    > I think PSD lines will only be recognised by a uni or smp kerrnel not by a w4
    > one (using the testcase naming conventions).

    I don't have a SMP kernel; what's UNI?

    So I should omit the line PSD=ACPI.PSD line from CONFIG.SYS. And I
    don't need the file.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  17. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:26:11 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:14:18 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > opined:
    > > On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:57:11 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "Stan Goodman"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > > PSD=ACPI.PSD

    > > I think PSD lines will only be recognised by a uni or smp kerrnel not by a w4
    > > one (using the testcase naming conventions).

    > I don't have a SMP kernel; what's UNI?

    Scott used to place 3 sets of kernel files on testcase, smp (does what it says
    on the tin), uni (for the convenience packs on single processor machines I
    think) and w4 for non-CP systems.

    > So I should omit the line PSD=ACPI.PSD line from CONFIG.SYS. And I
    > don't need the file.

    But then you'd be missing the bit that does the work!

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  18. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 19:26:44 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    opined:
    > On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 16:26:11 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:14:18 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > > opined:

    > > > I think PSD lines will only be recognised by a uni or smp kerrnel not by a w4
    > > > one (using the testcase naming conventions).

    > > I don't have a SMP kernel; what's UNI?

    > Scott used to place 3 sets of kernel files on testcase, smp (does what it says
    > on the tin), uni (for the convenience packs on single processor machines I
    > think) and w4 for non-CP systems.
    >
    > > So I should omit the line PSD=ACPI.PSD line from CONFIG.SYS. And I
    > > don't need the file.

    > But then you'd be missing the bit that does the work!

    I was confused before, partly because the ACPI/2 docs are not very
    informative, and am doubly so now. I now run eCS v1.1; if v1.2 ever
    gets here, I will be running that. I have been assuming, based on
    Yevgenii's statement that I need to be using a really recent kernel,
    that v1.2 will see the PSD file, which v1.1 does not. Is that correct?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  19. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 20:56:07 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > now run eCS v1.1; if v1.2 ever
    > gets here, I will be running that. I have been assuming, based on
    > Yevgenii's statement that I need to be using a really recent kernel,
    > that v1.2 will see the PSD file, which v1.1 does not. Is that correct?

    I don't have a copy of eCS so I don't know what kernel it uses. I do have two
    machines running ACP1, one a dual processor, the other a single. I get this
    report from bldlevel against the two kernels:

    [I:\]bldlevel x:\os2krnl
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.10.480 Oct 6 2000
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2000
    Signature: @#IBM:14.103a#@_UNI IBM OS/2 Kernel
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.103
    File Version: 14.103

    [I:\]bldlevel h:\os2krnl
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.10.480 Oct 6 2000
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2000
    Signature: @#IBM:14.103#@_SMP IBM OS/2 Kernel
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.103
    File Version: 14.103

    By contrast, the latest w4 kernel file I have contains an os2krnl that reports

    [I:\tmpinst]bldlevel os2krnl
    Build Level Display Facility Version 6.10.480 Oct 6 2000
    (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2000
    Signature: @#IBM:14.104a#@_W4 IBM OS/2 Kernel
    Vendor: IBM
    Revision: 14.104
    File Version: 14.104

    So far as I know (and I might be wrong), the ability to understand a PSD is
    limited to either an smp or a uni kernel. It's also possible that a uni kernel
    won't understand it either - I can't tell as I removed the PSD line from
    config.sys when I converted that system from one that used the smp kernel to
    one that used the uni one.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  20. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 21:33:20 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"
    opined:
    > On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 20:56:07 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > now run eCS v1.1; if v1.2 ever
    > > gets here, I will be running that. I have been assuming, based on
    > > Yevgenii's statement that I need to be using a really recent kernel,
    > > that v1.2 will see the PSD file, which v1.1 does not. Is that correct?

    > I don't have a copy of eCS so I don't know what kernel it uses. I do have two
    > machines running ACP1, one a dual processor, the other a single. I get this
    > report from bldlevel against the two kernels:
    >
    > [I:\]bldlevel x:\os2krnl
    > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.10.480 Oct 6 2000
    > (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2000
    > Signature: @#IBM:14.103a#@_UNI IBM OS/2 Kernel
    > Vendor: IBM
    > Revision: 14.103
    > File Version: 14.103
    >
    > [I:\]bldlevel h:\os2krnl
    > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.10.480 Oct 6 2000
    > (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2000
    > Signature: @#IBM:14.103#@_SMP IBM OS/2 Kernel
    > Vendor: IBM
    > Revision: 14.103
    > File Version: 14.103
    >
    > By contrast, the latest w4 kernel file I have contains an os2krnl that reports
    >
    > [I:\tmpinst]bldlevel os2krnl
    > Build Level Display Facility Version 6.10.480 Oct 6 2000
    > (C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1993-2000
    > Signature: @#IBM:14.104a#@_W4 IBM OS/2 Kernel
    > Vendor: IBM
    > Revision: 14.104
    > File Version: 14.104
    >
    > So far as I know (and I might be wrong), the ability to understand a PSD is
    > limited to either an smp or a uni kernel. It's also possible that a uni kernel
    > won't understand it either - I can't tell as I removed the PSD line from
    > config.sys when I converted that system from one that used the smp kernel to
    > one that used the uni one.

    With this eCS v1.1, I have a W4 kernel, v14.93. We have already
    determined that it is too old to profit from ACPI/2. I too have
    little idea what the response of v1.2 will be to the same query, but I
    assume for the moment from the enthusiastic tone of the blurbs on
    ACPI/2 that I will be able to use it on this motherboard, else the
    motherboard loses much of its power-control functionality. Since it is
    not SMP, I have to assume that the eCS v1.2 kernel w ill identify
    itself as UNI, and I will learn at the first boot if UNI recognizes
    PSD files, or alternatively if the MB will have to limp along with
    one-buttocked power control. I have to be optimistic: I asked
    Gorbunoff if this utility is applicable to this MB, and was assured
    that it is.

    There are penalties to operating a non-mainstream operating system.

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

+ Reply to Thread