eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now - OS2

This is a discussion on eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now - OS2 ; On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 Trevor Hemsley wrote: > So far as I know (and I might be wrong), the ability to understand a PSD > is limited to either an smp or a uni kernel. It's also possible that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 27 of 27

  1. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 Trevor Hemsley wrote:

    > So far as I know (and I might be wrong), the ability to understand a PSD
    > is limited to either an smp or a uni kernel. It's also possible that a uni
    > kernel won't understand it either - I can't tell as I removed the PSD line
    > from config.sys when I converted that system from one that used the smp
    > kernel to one that used the uni one.

    AFAIR, the only differences between the W4 and the UNI kernels are the
    awareness of PSD lines in CONFIG.SYS and the CPU affinity API (which is
    only useable in SMP of course).

    /Olli/
    --
    WarpUpdates International/Deutschland
    http://www.warpupdates.mynetcologne.de/

  2. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 20:09:08 UTC, oliver.rick@oor2.de (Oliver Rick)
    opined:
    > On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    >
    > > So far as I know (and I might be wrong), the ability to understand a PSD
    > > is limited to either an smp or a uni kernel. It's also possible that a uni
    > > kernel won't understand it either - I can't tell as I removed the PSD line
    > > from config.sys when I converted that system from one that used the smp
    > > kernel to one that used the uni one.

    > AFAIR, the only differences between the W4 and the UNI kernels are the
    > awareness of PSD lines in CONFIG.SYS and the CPU affinity API (which is
    > only useable in SMP of course).
    >
    > /Olli/

    So for the benefit of those for whom this has become too tangled to
    understand. for which non-SMP kernels is the PSD line
    necessary/relevant? To which non-SMP kernels, if any, is the ACPI/2
    power control utility applicable?

    --
    Stan Goodman
    Qiryat Tiv'on

  3. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:12:10 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "Stan Goodman"
    wrote:

    > for which non-SMP kernels is the PSD line
    > necessary/relevant? To which non-SMP kernels, if any, is the ACPI/2
    > power control utility applicable?

    The ACPI PSD will load (carefully not saying "work" since I haven't used it!) on
    both smp and uni kernels but not on w4.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  4. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:29:17 -0600, "Trevor Hemsley"
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:12:10 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "Stan Goodman"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> for which non-SMP kernels is the PSD line
    >> necessary/relevant? To which non-SMP kernels, if any, is the ACPI/2
    >> power control utility applicable?

    >The ACPI PSD will load (carefully not saying "work" since I haven't used it!) on
    >both smp and uni kernels but not on w4.

    I wonder if W4 kernel in its latest versions can support a PSD since
    "
    From: "Scott"
    Newsgroups: comp.os.os2.bugs
    Subject: Re: latest kernel oddity
    Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 04:05:20 GMT

    UNI and SMP are both for ACP/MCP. W4 is for Warp 4 FP13+. There are
    few differences, as follows:

    - W4 will work properly with 486sx chips. UNI will not (reliably).
    - Uni abd SMO kernels enable a codepage object of some sort in the
    shell. I forget the details
    - W4 did not until recently support loading a PSD

    You only want to load an SMP kernel if you really have two or more
    physical CPUs. Not because it won't work -- all three should work on
    any system where any works (except for 486sx boxes) -- but with an SMP
    kernel you have a lot of overhead not present with the UNI kernel.
    This may incur as much as a 20% performance penalty!"

  5. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    yankeebean schrieb:
    > On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:29:17 -0600, "Trevor Hemsley"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 22:12:10 UTC in comp.os.os2.ecomstation, "Stan Goodman"
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>for which non-SMP kernels is the PSD line
    >>>necessary/relevant? To which non-SMP kernels, if any, is the ACPI/2
    >>>power control utility applicable?

    >>The ACPI PSD will load (carefully not saying "work" since I haven't used it!) on
    >>both smp and uni kernels but not on w4.

    > I wonder if W4 kernel in its latest versions can support a PSD since
    > Scott said it should here:

    One of the ways to find out is use lxlite.exe /X on a copy of os2krnl.
    Then use a text editor to look for string "PSD". If you find something
    (especially if it is preceded by the string "CONFIG.SYS" nearby) then
    you have a good chance that it is detected as a config.sys keyword (and
    the kernel therefore able to load a PSD).

    Also you will find these strings that mark the PSD entry point's names:
    PSD_INSTALL PSD_DEINSTALL PSD_INIT PSD_PROC_INIT PSD_START_PROC
    PSD_GET_NUM_OF_PROCS PSD_GEN_IPI PSD_END_IPI PSD_PORT_IO PSD_IRQ_MASK
    PSD_IRQ_REG PSD_IRQ_EOI PSD_APP_COMM PSD_SET_ADV_INT_MODE
    PSD_SET_PROC_STATE PSD_QUERY_SYSTEM_TIMER PSD_SET_SYSTEM_TIMER
    PSD_RESET_MODE PSD_MTRACE_START

    Lars

  6. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 23:29:17 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley" wrote:

    > The ACPI PSD will load (carefully not saying "work" since I haven't used it!) on
    > both smp and uni kernels but not on w4.

    Funny, I just installed ACPI using the eCS 1.2 media refresh
    (@#IBM:14.103a#@_W4) and it loads and works (I can throttle my CPU). Or
    did you want to write SMP PSD instead of ACPI PSD?
    --
    Greetings, ^
    Peter.

  7. Re: eComStation supports modern multiprocessor systems now

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 23:46:24 UTC, "Peter Weilbacher"
    wrote:

    > Funny, I just installed ACPI using the eCS 1.2 media refresh
    > (@#IBM:14.103a#@_W4) and it loads and works (I can throttle my CPU). Or
    > did you want to write SMP PSD instead of ACPI PSD?

    Quiet a while ago Scott stated, that the "W4" kernels would not
    even attempt to load PSDs, but apparetly this has changed..

    --
    Ruediger "Rudi" Ihle [S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany]
    http://www.s-t.de

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2