Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support - OS2 ; On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:42:54 UTC, "Ian Johnston" wrote: > On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 21:17:34 UTC, The eCS Guy > wrote: > > : Ahh but you don't have mini-icons the size of 20X20 pixels and that's > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Results 121 to 126 of 126

  1. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    wrote:

    > On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 21:17:34 UTC, The eCS Guy
    > wrote:
    >
    > : Ahh but you don't have mini-icons the size of 20X20 pixels and that's
    > : what I have on my OS/2 desktop. You have "small" icons which are
    > : the size of 32x32 pixels. Normal icons are 40X40 pixels.
    >
    > I have just checked, by selecting "small icons", capturing one with
    > PMView and then having a good look at it. It (actually, "they",
    > because I checked two) are 16x16 pixels. I can email you one if you
    > want!
    >
    > Perhaps this is video adaptor or video driver or screen resolution
    > dependent?
    >
    > Ian
    > :

    Visually on the screen they have 1/2 the height and 1/2 the width of
    the normal Icons. So maybe it is a different issue like you suggest.
    --

  2. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 00:03:26 UTC, The eCS Guy
    wrote:

    > Kevin K wrote:
    > > On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:45:34 UTC, The eCS Guy
    > > wrote:
    > >>
    > >>You're using OS/2 not eCS. I'm well acquainted with OS/2 and
    > >>that was the first thing I did. The option in eCS wasn't there and
    > >>is still not there. Wasn't there in any of the eCS installs I performed.
    > >>Why wasn't it there? Had the installation failed to add it or had it
    > >>been reassigned elsewere or removed altogether?

    > > Admitting here that ECS is based on OS/2
    > >
    > > Anyway, it is exactly where the instructions claimed it would be,
    > > though it doesn't seem like it saves all that much space unless I also
    > > reduce the size of the font for the text.
    > >
    > > And this ECS was installed as a fresh install, not as an upgrade.

    > Let's try this again: eCS doesn't offer "mini" icons. eCS offers
    > "small" icons. Normal default icons are 40X40 pixels. "Small"
    > icons are 32X32 pixels. "Mini" icons are 20X20 pixels.
    >
    > I have "mini" icons on the OS/2 desktop and can only have
    > "small" icons on the eCS desktop.
    >
    > With eCS you get less than you get with an OS/2 Warp 4.52
    > operating system.
    >
    > The eCS Guy

    Then I guess I am missing the "Small" icons, but getting Mini Icons
    named small.

    I don't recall seeing 3 icon sizes available back on Warp 4.

  3. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 17:22:37 UTC, The eCS Guy wrote:

    > Bob St.John wrote:
    > > The eCS Guy wrote:

    > >> You're using OS/2 not eCS. I'm well acquainted with OS/2 and
    > >> that was the first thing I did.

    > > Odd .. I'm using eComStation 1.2 .. I right clicked on the desktop,
    > > clicked on VIEW and the Small Icon option was right in the middle of the
    > > options listed.

    > I removed XWorkplace and the desktop folder now offers the "small"
    > icons option and behold and *it is* selected.

    Could be, but I doubt it. XWorkplace does not block or otherwise stop me from
    selecting and using "View" --> "Small icons" when RMB'ing my eCS v1.1 desktop.

    > The problem is the icons are not half their normal size as they are
    > in OS/2. The normal size is 40X40 pixels. With the small icons option
    > selected in eCS they become 32X32. In OS/2 they are 20X20 without
    > any loss of clarity. At 32X32 they are still far too big. Someone else
    > suggested I try forcing them in the config.sys and offered the command
    > line statement to do that. I'll search back and see if I can find it.
    >
    > What I resent here is having to do so much work to get what OS/2
    > gives me so easily.

    Yeah. Can you now shut up and return to the OS/2 version you claim to know so
    well?

    --
    Best regards
    Sten Solberg

    .... Also sprach Zarathustra: "Have a Good Day!"

  4. Re: [FUD4] IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    wrote:

    > Let's try this again: eCS doesn't offer "mini" icons. eCS offers
    > "small" icons. Normal default icons are 40X40 pixels. "Small"
    > icons are 32X32 pixels. "Mini" icons are 20X20 pixels.

    As usual, all lies... I have 16x16 icons on my Desktop. Using your
    logic, eCS is therefore better than OS/2, as it offers "mini mini"
    icons, whereas OS/2 only offers "normal mini" icons.

    > I have "mini" icons on the OS/2 desktop and can only have
    > "small" icons on the eCS desktop.

    Maybe it's time to upgrade your display driver from the older version
    you are using to get the "mini mini" icon option that us available in
    eCS. It seems your current video driver doesn't offer all advantages
    the one in eCS does.

    > With eCS you get less than you get with an OS/2 Warp 4.52
    > operating system.

    If you mean you get smaller icons in eCS than in OS/2, you're
    absolutely right.

    --
    Luc Van Bogaert

    Via ProNews/2 & eComStation
    http://www.os2world.com/os2ecs

  5. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:32:57 UTC, The eCS Guyİ
    wrote:

    > Steve Wendt wrote:
    > > The eCS Guyİ wrote:
    > >
    > >> I migrated from Warp 4 to Warp 4.51 then to Warp 4.52 without losing
    > >> any programs.

    > > Exactly, you did an upgrade install instead of a new install. If you
    > > did an upgrade install of eCS over an existing Warp install, I imagine
    > > it would work the same way.

    > No, it didn't. I installed eCS several times to figure out how it worked.
    > There are three phrases but that isn't clear enough during the install
    > process. I cloned my original Warp 4.52 partition to a separate
    > partition and tried the eCS migration option there. I lost far too many
    > (needed and valuable) programs, some of which I no longer had
    > or could easily get for reinstall. I tried copying them over from the
    > Warp 4.52 partition but that either failed or required too much effort
    > to make work.

    This is wack. Programs belong in their own folders
    and the specific location
    of these folders in the system is generally not
    important as long as config.sys
    has pointers to each. So how can folders/programs
    get lost? Even lacking
    access to your desktop how hard is it to find the
    folder and click on the
    executable? Then recreate shadows or program
    objects?

    No one can be this clueless. Is this artifice just
    for argument sake?
    --
    dj

  6. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    django@hotclub.fr wrote:
    > On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 11:32:57 UTC, The eCS Guyİ
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Steve Wendt wrote:

    >>>Exactly, you did an upgrade install instead of a new install. If you
    >>>did an upgrade install of eCS over an existing Warp install, I imagine
    >>>it would work the same way.

    >>No, it didn't. I installed eCS several times to figure out how it worked.
    >>There are three phrases but that isn't clear enough during the install
    >>process. I cloned my original Warp 4.52 partition to a separate
    >>partition and tried the eCS migration option there. I lost far too many
    >>(needed and valuable) programs, some of which I no longer had
    >>or could easily get for reinstall. I tried copying them over from the
    >>Warp 4.52 partition but that either failed or required too much effort
    >>to make work.

    > This is wack. Programs belong in their own folders
    > and the specific location
    > of these folders in the system is generally not
    > important as long as config.sys
    > has pointers to each. So how can folders/programs
    > get lost? Even lacking
    > access to your desktop how hard is it to find the
    > folder and click on the
    > executable? Then recreate shadows or program
    > objects?
    >
    > No one can be this clueless. Is this artifice just
    > for argument sake?

    Actually it's not "wack" at all. eCS is known to fail at previous
    installation migrations and the standard Serenity Systems response to
    the complaint is to install to a clean hard drive. Serenity needs the
    eCS consumer to start 'afresh' and 'anew' so they don't realize what
    they've lost with the inability to migrate forward.

    I don't know why anyone would care about eCS. It has no future.
    Serenity Systems cannot update the OEM OS/2 operating and IBM has
    clearly abandoned their OS/2 Business Partners - well, at least those
    who opt to stay with OS/2 instead of migrating off to Linux.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7