Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support - OS2 ; Frank wrote: > Hello, > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 08:55:42 -0500, The eCS Guy wrote: > > >>The eCenter is just the xCenter (renamed from XWorkplace) and if you >>like that xCenter >feature you can add it to your ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 126

Thread: Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

  1. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Frank wrote:
    > Hello,
    > On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 08:55:42 -0500, The eCS Guy wrote:
    >
    >
    >>The eCenter is just the xCenter (renamed from XWorkplace) and if you
    >>like that xCenter >feature you can add it to your OS/'2 system.
    >>Without the WarpCenter your eComstation is less than OS/2.

    >
    > I don't agree, you can give e(x)Center all the features of warpcenter and more.
    > I especially like the Wlan widget and lSwitcher. On http://www.os2usr.org/xcenter/
    > you can find all kind of widgets, including a stopwatch and find.


    Then you are fooling yourself. If you want a Wlan or Iswitcher digit
    then
    install XWorkplace center and add an xCenter. That's all the eCenter
    is. Not only that but we're talking a minor third party "addon".
    Where's
    the File Finder? The App Killer? The built-in date, stopwatch and
    (pretty) clock? Each of the latter will require three "not as nice or
    as feature-full" widgets cloging up your xCenter until you have to
    add a second tray. Silliness, absolute silliness. And the eCenter
    is buggy, problematic and clunky.

    ADD the damn xCenter if you want a faux WarpCenter.

    >>>: How come
    >>>: your damn desktop is clogged up with big old ugly looking icons so
    >>>: large that ten of them hide your desktop background?
    >>>
    >>>There are twenty six icons on my desktop as I speak, covering a minute
    >>>proportion of my desktop. Do you perhaps still have a 640 * 480 VGA
    >>>monitor?

    >>
    >>In OS/2 Warp 4.52 we have the option of using "mini" icons, which are
    >>the size of 20x20 pixels and are as crisp and clear as the larger
    >>sized icons of 40x40 pixels available in OS/2 and defaulted in eCS.

    >
    > With "set sddicons=small" in config.sys you get small sized icons.
    > Though with this setting they are a bit to small for me, because of the screen
    > resolution I use.


    Ahh, there you go. That's the answer - an answer that can't be
    found anywhere but in the newsgroups. There is no option to
    do that automatically in your config.sys whereas with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    you don't need to "set..." anything.

    Are you eCS Lusers THAT stupid that you would jump through all
    those hoops and still believe you have a better system than
    OS/2 Warp 4.52? GET A GRIP!

    >
    >>This has been removed from eComstation's eCenter. The makers
    >>of eCS would like you to put a shadow of the Seek and Scan program
    >>on your desktop if you want such a feature. The advantage of the
    >>WarpCenter File Finder was the ability to quickly find a file on your
    >>system. The Seek and Scan is a second defaulted file finder program
    >>on the OS/2 system and can be added to your WarpCenter or to your
    >>desktop as a "mini" icon if you like it's searching abilities. File Finder
    >>displays an icon of the file searched. Clicking on the properties option
    >>gives you indepth info on the file. Seek and Scan displays the full
    >>path to the found file. Without the ability to use a built-in File Finder
    >>on the eCenter in eComstation means you have less then the OS/2
    >>user has in the way of WarpCenter features.

    >
    > Most of the time I use PMseek, because I can look for strings in files to,
    > so I have that in a tray. But like I said there is a widget for it.


    Umm... no, there is no "widget" for file searching and you fail to
    mention
    that most widgets require additional libraries, scroller and special
    files
    to work. And more importantly you fail to mention that all can be
    added
    to xCenter if the eCS Luser would just install XWorkplace - which is,
    of
    course, NOT recommended because XWorkplace doesn't work well
    in eCS despite the fact that it works quite well in OS/2 Warp 4.52.

    The eCS user gets less of a product that the OS/2 Warp 4.52 user does.
    The OS/2 user gets a native OS/2 built-in WarpCenter AND an xCenter
    with all the widgets they want/need.

    >
    >>>: But wait Ian - how come eCS freezes 'on a whim'? How come eCS takes
    >>>: three times as long as OS/2 Warp 4.52 to boot up?
    >>>
    >>>I cannot help your setup problems. Sorry.

    >>
    >>The complaint of random system freezes has been reported by several
    >>users using eCS v1.2R. It doesn't matter if you use the easy install method
    >>or the customized method, eComstation has never been as stable as an
    >>OS/2 Warp 4.52 operating system. I have experienced the freezing problem
    >>several times and a full reboot can be expected with a bad program or
    >>function causes the freeze. There is a feature in eCS that is supposed to
    >>kill a non-functioning program which should allow the unfreezing of the
    >>system but it does not work. The freezing is bad enough but each reboot
    >>under eCS takes a very long time to get back to a working desktop.

    >
    > I don't have 1.2R (not available in Dutch yet) so I can't comment on that,
    > but 1.2 runs fine here. I don't seen any freezing up.


    Maybe eCS understands Dutch better than it does American English.

    >
    >>OS/2 has the WarpCenter application killer (hold down the control key
    >>and select the application list icon on the WarpCenter). Using that
    >>option allows the OS/2 user to kill or close 99% of all non-functioning
    >>programs or files. Without the ability to use a functioning application
    >>killer and to have a stable non-freezing system when using eCS
    >>means eCS users have less than the OS/2 user.

    >
    > eCS comes with CADH, looks like a program killer to me. LSwitcher also has a
    > nice program killer and I also have Watchcat installed, though I hardly use
    > this.


    None of those are needed in OS/2 Warp 4.52 because it comes with a
    PID Killer. CADH is a joke. Watchcat is so old it isn't funny
    anymore.
    The eCS Luser gets less of a product that the OS/2 user who can add
    Watchcat, LSwitcher's program killer and several other "program
    killers".
    >
    >>>: Here's another Ian - how come you poor eCS Lusers have to manually
    >>>: insert a 128-digit registration code over and over when you want to set
    >>>: up and partition a hard disk prior to eCS installation?
    >>>
    >>>Or grab it off a disk?

    >>
    >>Without access to a floppy to copy it from you have to insert the long
    >>almost indeciferable registration code manually. Hardware manufacturers
    >>today no longer supply floppy drives in their computers expecting buyers
    >>to use the CDRom instead. Laptop users have always been without a
    >>floppy drive. To 'grab it off a disk' as you instruct means new hardware
    >>buyers and laptop users will have to purchase a separate floppy drive
    >>just to be able to 'grab it off a disk'.
    >>Prior to installing eCS or OS/2 for that matter there is the ability to
    >>partition
    >>your hard drive for specific reasons. It has always been a wise decision
    >>to install OS/2 in one partition and your applications, music, movies, etc
    >>in another or separate partitions.

    >
    > My T23 also doesn't have a floppy, so guess were I put the key prior to installing.


    You don't really want me to say publicly, do you Frank?

    So here's the scenario Frank. You've been convinced by some idyit that
    eComStation is the next coming of Jesus and you buy it having never
    seen or touched OS/2. You don't know that it is an OEM version OS/2
    because Serenity hides that fact from you in everything they print and
    [don't] say.

    You have to download a near 1 GIG set of ISO files. You have to find a
    burner and learn the process of turning those ISO files into working
    CDs.
    You have to somehow figure out a way to insert a paranoid
    multi-multi-digit
    registration number several times because you don't want to wipe out
    your expensive WindowsXPPro operating system sitting on Drive C
    so you'll need to partition up the hard drive - and you eventually
    become
    so annoyed, frustrated and underwhelmed once you get to an eCS
    desktop with its big old icons that you log off and never come back
    again. Especially after you learn that you aren't using a "new"
    operating
    system but an OEM version of IBM's 1996 OS/2 operating system.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  2. Re: [FUD4] IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 19:03:51 UTC, " The OS2 Guy "
    wrote:

    > Now *you're* lying, Luc. The CAD function fails to work 99
    > out of 100 times on a full normal installation and a customized
    > installation of eCS v1.2R.


    As I said : check your system, surely there is something wrong
    (probably hardware) as the CAD handler works perfectly here.

    > Reboot? Do you *really* want to go there, Luc? 3-4 times
    > longer than a normal OS/2 Warp 4.52 boot.


    There seems to be a problem with your configuration. Here, eCS boots
    faster than WinXP on the same machine! And in a virtual machine it's
    faster than Linux! Check your system for faulty setup before
    complaining about a terrific product.

    > The eCs Luser sits there like an idyit wondering if his machine is dead or


    Who is this "eCS Luser" guy? Do you know his real name? He should get
    in contact with eCS support to get his problem fixed, or ask for a
    refund if he is not 100% satisfied with the software.

    > if eCS has failed to boot up - not for just a minute or two minutes
    > but for several minutes. Finally it shows some life and eventually
    > and very slowly builds a desktop with those big fat defaulted
    > icons all over the place.


    No! My eCS system is very snappy and fast, and my Desktop looks just
    terrific. What screen are you running eCS on, a 12" or something?

    > The truth is out, Luc.


    Really? Where "doctor"?

    --
    Luc Van Bogaert

    Via ProNews/2 & eComStation
    http://www.os2world.com/os2ecs

  3. Re: [FUD4] IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 19:31:05 UTC, " The OS2 Guy "
    wrote:

    > Because it isn't where it should be - if it is even there at all. You
    > say it has been moved off to a far away folder somewhere on the system.


    Not at all : the mini-icon option is right there in the properties
    notebook of every folder, including the Desktop. You seem to be
    inventing stuff that doesn't exist, just to spam these newsgroups.
    It's no surprise that no one here takes anything you write seriously,
    as these facts can very easily be verified by anyone running eCS,
    which is *a lot* of people.

    > There is no "File Finder" button in the eCenter like there is in the
    > OS/2 WarpCenter and that means the eCS Luser has to go fishing and
    > mining just to find what should be a very simple and easy to find
    > display option.


    Silly you : don't you know there's a "Find" menu item in the context
    menu of every folder on the Desktop? You call yourself the "OS/2 Guy",
    but it certainly seems that you don't know how to use it properly, do
    you? First, you have trouble installing a program object on your
    desktop, then you can't find a scheduler app when it is staring you
    right in the face and finally you seem to have difficulty centering
    text in a spreadsheet cell. Why do you expect people to take you
    seriously? Oh BTW : if I need a Find button on my eCenter, all I have
    to do is add one; or two, or three, or... you get the point;, don't
    you.

    > The OS/2 WarpCenter
    > offers a far superior stopwatch, date and (pretty) clock as one
    > clickable feature.


    The WarpCenter is outdated, tends to lock up the WPS when started from
    config.sys and is just as flexible as a rock. Serenity took a very
    wise decision to move on and enhance OS/2 by using eCenter as the
    default program launcher. Users agreed as no one I know of has ever
    complained about this design decision.

    > Tell him (and all of us) how to get the WarpCenter back.


    You're the "OS/2 Guy" : why don't you tell us how to run Warpcenter on
    eCS? Surely you won't rely on an eCS user's knowledge here, will you?

    > Gee, I don't use a "shift" key in OS/2 Warp 4.52, why does eCS force
    > you to use that combination instead of just dragging, adjusting the
    > size, maximize, minimize then close?


    What! Do you really have to maximize, minimize and then close VIO
    windows? What a waste of time! No wonder you have no time left to get
    a real life. BTW : shift drag to position VIO windows has been the
    standard OS/2 way since many, many years. I wonder why I have to tell
    you something as trivial as this.

    Nope : I receive and read every message that appears on the main eCS
    mailing list : I've never seen anyone complain about long boot times,
    on the contrary!

    > Didn't have to check OS/2 and add a -d parameter.


    Clearly that's because OS/2 offers far less flexibility : you're stuck
    with the default setting that isn't satisfactory on most modern
    systems. The -d parameter offers that flexibility and configurability.
    If you don't like that you should keep running OS/2 or switch to
    Windows.

    > Ahhh, Luc is the "annointed" one whose eCS system seems to have none of
    > the oft-repeatedly reported problems beseiging other CS
    > Lusers. Those other eCS Lusers are dumb and stupid unlike Luc.


    No at all : no one at our local OS/2 users group experiences these
    problem with eCS. That's why I suggest that this "eCS Guy" checks out
    his system : there's something terribily wrong there.

    BTW : what newsreader are you using? it shows a tendency to remove
    part of the subject line in messages.

    --
    Luc Van Bogaert

    Via ProNews/2 & eComStation
    http://www.os2world.com/os2ecs

  4. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On 5 Dec 2005 12:26:29 -0800, The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    >Frank wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 08:55:42 -0500, The eCS Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>The eCenter is just the xCenter (renamed from XWorkplace) and if you
    >>>like that xCenter >feature you can add it to your OS/'2 system.
    >>>Without the WarpCenter your eComstation is less than OS/2.

    >>
    >> I don't agree, you can give e(x)Center all the features of warpcenter and more.
    >> I especially like the Wlan widget and lSwitcher. On http://www.os2usr.org/xcenter/
    >> you can find all kind of widgets, including a stopwatch and find.

    >
    >Then you are fooling yourself. If you want a Wlan or Iswitcher digit
    >then
    >install XWorkplace center and add an xCenter. That's all the eCenter
    >is. Not only that but we're talking a minor third party "addon".
    >Where's
    >the File Finder? The App Killer? The built-in date, stopwatch and
    >(pretty) clock? Each of the latter will require three "not as nice or
    >as feature-full" widgets cloging up your xCenter until you have to
    >add a second tray. Silliness, absolute silliness. And the eCenter
    >is buggy, problematic and clunky.
    >
    >ADD the damn xCenter if you want a faux WarpCenter.

    eCenter is xCenter, so I see no reason why anyone should install xWorkplace in order
    to replace eCenter. Sure, 3 widgets measuring 20 pixels clog up your desktop. What
    resolution are you on? 640x480?

    >>>>: How come
    >>>>: your damn desktop is clogged up with big old ugly looking icons so
    >>>>: large that ten of them hide your desktop background?
    >>>>
    >>>>There are twenty six icons on my desktop as I speak, covering a minute
    >>>>proportion of my desktop. Do you perhaps still have a 640 * 480 VGA
    >>>>monitor?
    >>>
    >>>In OS/2 Warp 4.52 we have the option of using "mini" icons, which are
    >>>the size of 20x20 pixels and are as crisp and clear as the larger
    >>>sized icons of 40x40 pixels available in OS/2 and defaulted in eCS.

    >>
    >> With "set sddicons=small" in config.sys you get small sized icons.
    >> Though with this setting they are a bit to small for me, because of the screen
    >> resolution I use.

    >
    >Ahh, there you go. That's the answer - an answer that can't be
    >found anywhere but in the newsgroups.

    Not true, it's in the documentation of Snap.

    > There is no option to
    >do that automatically in your config.sys whereas with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    >you don't need to "set..." anything.
    >
    >Are you eCS Lusers THAT stupid that you would jump through all
    >those hoops and still believe you have a better system than
    >OS/2 Warp 4.52? GET A GRIP!


    Look, if you call me that I don't see the point in discussing this any
    further.




  5. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On 5 Dec 2005 10:52:51 -0800, "© The OS2 Guy ©"
    wrote:

    >Percival P. Cassidy wrote:


    >> It's NOT 128 digits (it's a 17-character User Name and an 88-character
    >> key), and they say specifically NOT to try typing in the key, although I
    >> did so once successfully.

    >
    >It doesn't matter if the damn thing is ten digits Percy, it isn't
    >needed
    >at all. We're talking about a product here that has sold to no more
    >than a handful of people. *IF*, and I stress that boldly, eCS were to
    >ever seriously sell then a registration code or key *may* be warranted
    >but as it stands now, it is a hinderence to all sales, an annoyance
    >and a forced frustration that no consumer should have to deal with.


    It's a very rare day - I have to say I agree with Dr. Martin 100% on
    this issue.

    >> Since then I always saved the registration info. from the email I
    >> received and imported it from a floppy or from the maintenance partition
    >> -- until just a week or so ago when I installed eCS 1.2.1 (the 1.2 Media
    >> Refresh) and imported it from a USB memory stick.

    >
    >You keep missing the point here, Perce. I dunno, maybe you're just
    >stupid (the fact that you use eCS certainly tends to confirm that), but
    >all new computers and laptops purchased today *HAVE NO FLOPPY
    >DRIVES*


    Precisely my situation, and the reason for my aggravation installing
    eCS on my laptop. On the other hand, eCS was the only version of OS/2
    that would even install on the thing - WSeB and 4.52 wouldn't look at
    it. On the gripping hand, in a couple of weeks eCS will be the only
    game in town for 'modern' hardware, unless you manage to track down a
    copy of 4.52 on ebay.

    I'd hoped Serenity would drop this stupid key in the refresh release,
    I guess they didn't. Couldn't they at least make the registration
    requirement post-install, with say a 30 day grace period before it
    stops working - so you could install, then download the key and cut &
    paste? Bob?

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores
    I am the history within'

  6. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Mike Ross wrote:

    > I'd hoped Serenity would drop this stupid key in the refresh release,
    > I guess they didn't. Couldn't they at least make the registration
    > requirement post-install, with say a 30 day grace period before it
    > stops working - so you could install, then download the key and cut &
    > paste? Bob?


    I'm sympathetic to the key issue (or lack of key issue). We didn't use
    keys at IBM and I don't think reg keys dissaude pirates. However, this
    is not my decision, alone. The original key (in 1.0) was required
    because of some of the commercial software being included.

    The publishers of some applications insisted that eComStation be
    "locked" with a reg key as part of their terms and conditions. However,
    a lot has changed in the intervening five or six years and I would be
    willing to revisit the issue.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  7. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support [FUD4]

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 23:18:20 UTC, "Frank"
    wrote:

    ->
    ->
    -> Look, if you call me that I don't see the point in discussing this any
    -> further.
    ->

    tim martin is really a troll. He doesn't exist. He's a sock puppet
    for a mentally ill and rather stupid fellow named larry who uses a lot
    of fake personnas to post garbage to these groups. It is always best
    to ignore this psycho. See: http://www.mr2ice.com/TMFaq/


    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Hershey, PA, Oct 6-9, 2005 - http://www.warpstock.org

  8. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > Mike Ross wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I'd hoped Serenity would drop this stupid key in the refresh release,
    >> I guess they didn't. Couldn't they at least make the registration
    >> requirement post-install, with say a 30 day grace period before it
    >> stops working - so you could install, then download the key and cut &
    >> paste? Bob?

    >
    > I'm sympathetic to the key issue (or lack of key issue). We didn't use
    > keys at IBM and I don't think reg keys dissaude pirates. However, this
    > is not my decision, alone. The original key (in 1.0) was required
    > because of some of the commercial software being included.
    >
    > The publishers of some applications insisted that eComStation be
    > "locked" with a reg key as part of their terms and conditions. However,
    > a lot has changed in the intervening five or six years and I would be
    > willing to revisit the issue.


    Perhaps you should confront your commercial software vendors and
    complain that their insistence is killing your product. If they refuse
    then drop the use of their products. There is paranoia and there is
    stupidity. I know of two eCS consumers who have demanded refunds
    because of it and you know few eCS consumers will even talk with me.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  9. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Mike Ross wrote:

    > On the gripping hand, in a couple of weeks eCS will be the only
    > game in town for 'modern' hardware, unless you manage to track down a
    > copy of 4.52 on ebay.


    Any one and every one who is going to use OS/2 has already
    purchased OS/2. Sales of eCS stopped months ago leaving
    several to request refunds and a return to Warp 4.52.

    Serenity has never marketed eCS to anyone but the naive OS/2
    user and that small percentage edging from the fringes of an even
    smaller OS niche marketplace is depleted. Serenity has no access
    to OS/2 source code which means the OEM version of OS/2 as the
    base operating system in eCS cannot be improved, enhanced,
    adjusted, or fixed. Serenity, themselves, have produced no drivers
    and no new OS/2 native software. All Serenity has really done is to
    remove features from the OEM version of OS/2, pile buggy apps
    on top of OS/2, removed the OS/2 logo and avoided, at every
    stage of their silly marketing plan, any mention of OS/2 whatsover.
    More importantly, Serenity has destroyed what was once a strong
    vibrant OS/2 community.

    Time has already proven me right and this time next year those few
    who are left will begrudgingly say "I wish I had listened to he who
    should not be mentioned..."

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  10. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > Mike Ross wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I'd hoped Serenity would drop this stupid key in the refresh release,
    >> I guess they didn't. Couldn't they at least make the registration
    >> requirement post-install, with say a 30 day grace period before it
    >> stops working - so you could install, then download the key and cut &
    >> paste? Bob?

    >
    >
    > I'm sympathetic to the key issue (or lack of key issue). We didn't use
    > keys at IBM and I don't think reg keys dissaude pirates. However, this
    > is not my decision, alone. The original key (in 1.0) was required
    > because of some of the commercial software being included.
    >
    > The publishers of some applications insisted that eComStation be
    > "locked" with a reg key as part of their terms and conditions. However,
    > a lot has changed in the intervening five or six years and I would be
    > willing to revisit the issue.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bob St.John
    > Serenity Systems International



    I have not found using the "key" dificult at all - and I am sure
    it is not a "hinderence" to sales. Just import the thing from a
    USB stick (or floppy drive if you have one). It takes all of 4
    seconds...

    Not that the post-install idea is a bad one...but I for one have
    had no issue whatsoever with importing the key on any ecs distro.

  11. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On 12/05/05 06:08 pm Mike Ross tossed the following ingredients into the
    ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

    >>>It's NOT 128 digits (it's a 17-character User Name and an 88-character
    >>>key), and they say specifically NOT to try typing in the key, although I
    >>>did so once successfully.

    >>
    >>It doesn't matter if the damn thing is ten digits Percy, it isn't
    >>needed
    >>at all. We're talking about a product here that has sold to no more
    >>than a handful of people. *IF*, and I stress that boldly, eCS were to
    >>ever seriously sell then a registration code or key *may* be warranted
    >>but as it stands now, it is a hinderence to all sales, an annoyance
    >>and a forced frustration that no consumer should have to deal with.

    >
    >
    > It's a very rare day - I have to say I agree with Dr. Martin 100% on
    > this issue.
    >
    >
    >>>Since then I always saved the registration info. from the email I
    >>>received and imported it from a floppy or from the maintenance partition
    >>>-- until just a week or so ago when I installed eCS 1.2.1 (the 1.2 Media
    >>>Refresh) and imported it from a USB memory stick.

    >>
    >>You keep missing the point here, Perce. I dunno, maybe you're just
    >>stupid (the fact that you use eCS certainly tends to confirm that), but
    >>all new computers and laptops purchased today *HAVE NO FLOPPY
    >>DRIVES*

    >
    >
    > Precisely my situation, and the reason for my aggravation installing
    > eCS on my laptop. On the other hand, eCS was the only version of OS/2
    > that would even install on the thing - WSeB and 4.52 wouldn't look at
    > it. On the gripping hand, in a couple of weeks eCS will be the only
    > game in town for 'modern' hardware, unless you manage to track down a
    > copy of 4.52 on ebay.


    DID YOU READ what I wrote? I wrote that the last time I installed eCS
    (to be specific, the Media Refresh) I imported the key FROM A USB MEMORY
    STICK (and that was precisely because I was installing on a notebook
    that uses interchangeable devices in a single bay, so it can have CD-ROM
    *or* floppy, but not both at the same time). Previously when installing
    eCS on that notebook, I have stored the key ahead of time on the
    maintenance partition.

    Perce

  12. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    © The OS2 Guy © wrote:

    > Perhaps you should confront your commercial software vendors and
    > complain that their insistence is killing your product.


    Why complain? eComStation is a very successful product. Introduced in
    2000, you claimed it had poor sales in 2000, 2001. 2002, 2003, 2004, and
    2005, and no doubt will make the same claim in 2006.

    The problem with your misnformation is that the product could not have
    stayed around for all those years without significant sales. Maintaining
    an OEM agreement with IBM requires meeting significant revenue
    objectives, which were met in 2000, 2001, etc.

    btw ... another bit of you misinformation you were promulgating awhile
    ago was that the IBM OEM agreement would end this month and would not be
    renewed. Looks like you got that wrong, too. eComStation will sail into
    2006 with a new release and significant new features.

    Nope, I really don't feel like complaining. Things are good, thanks.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  13. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    The eCS Guy© wrote:

    > The CAD function in eCS doesn't work while the "Kill PID" program
    > on the WarpCenter has a solid track record.


    I don't know what version of CADH is in eCS, but the 2005.07.03 works
    great here. It can be used far more often than the WarpCenter feature,
    which only works when the WPS is responding.

  14. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:05:50 UTC, The eCS Guy©
    wrote:

    > Luc Van Bogaert wrote:
    > > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 03:20:08 UTC, " The OS/2 Guy "
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Ok, so how do I change that, you know, where is the "small icons" setting?

    > >
    > >
    > > on eCS 1.2 : folder Properties -> View -> Icon view -> Small size
    > >
    > >
    > >>There isn't one.

    > >
    > >
    > > You're a liar.
    > >

    >
    > It may be there but I haven't looked. Serenity has changed the
    > normal OS/2 setup options and coming from an OS/2 point of
    > view that makes it difficult to do what was is so easy with OS/2.


    Timmy Martini proves himself once again as dumb liar. He proves that
    he has never used OS/2 or he would know how to get what he needs as
    there is absolutely no difference between eCS and any version of OS/2
    since 2.0.

    So Timmy Martini proves that he has never used one of the 32 bit
    versions of OS/2.

    > How about the WarpCenter itself? Can I bring that back? I'd rather
    > have the date display and the program that kills apps then the
    > eCenter itself. And why won't my VIO windows (z! NFTP and Injoy)
    > remain where positioned? Each time I start them they are off in the
    > upper left hand corner and I've got to keep dragging them back.
    > That doesn't happen with my OS/2 system. Is there a setting for
    > that and where can it be found?


    Timmy Martini proves here again that he knows nothing about the 32 bit
    versions of OS/2 because he has never used one of them. Otherwise he
    would know what to do to get WarpCenter up and runnuning during system
    start.

    > Luc, why does it take eCS so long to boot up? I can run my
    > eCS system and my OS/2 system side by side, reboot them
    > both (the eCS system first) and the OS/2 system desktop comes
    > up long before eCS. Sometimes I think eCS has frozen or isn't
    > going to boot because it takes so long. Can I change that?


    Timmy Martini proves himself as liar again. The truth is that one can
    READ news and email under eCS long before OS/2 WARP 4.5x is able to
    start the same apps after boot.

    > Why does eCS freeze so often? Dr. Martin has advised I install
    > a program called WatchCat. How would that help?


    Timmy Martini proves again that he knows nothing about OS/2. Else he
    would never ask so dumb questions.


    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    Visit http://www.ecomstation.de the home of german eComStation
    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  15. Re: [FUD4] IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:37:12 UTC, "Luc Van Bogaert"
    wrote:

    > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:08:10 UTC, The eCS Guy
    > wrote:
    >
    > > The CAD function in eCS doesn't work while the "Kill PID" program
    > > on the WarpCenter has a solid track record.

    >
    > The CAD function in eCS works fine here, so there seems to be
    > something wrong with your setup. Why don't you post relevant details
    > here in the eCS newsgroups to get help?
    >

    The fudster has not even seen eCS or a single 32 bit version of OS/2.
    The only he can do is spreading FUD.

    --
    Tschau/Bye
    Herbert

    Visit http://www.ecomstation.de the home of german eComStation
    eComStation 1.2 Deutsch ist da!

  16. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > © The OS2 Guy © wrote:
    >
    >> Perhaps you should confront your commercial software vendors and
    >> complain that their insistence is killing your product.

    >
    > Why complain?


    Well, you would never do so publicly nor would you admit failure
    but it's there and we all know it.

    > eComStation is a very successful product.


    Is it? How come so few use it today? The same handful of eCS
    Lusers buy and rebuy simply to keep you afloat. And then there
    are those who buy "and never install" believing they are "helping
    the cause" of OS/2. Nothing could be more ridiculous.

    > Introduced in
    > 2000, you claimed it had poor sales in 2000, 2001. 2002, 2003, 2004, and
    > 2005, and no doubt will make the same claim in 2006.


    Again, the same six eCS Lusers keep buying repeated licenses
    and openly admit it in your own eCS Yahoo and ecomstation
    forums.

    Do you have a brick and mortar storefront anywhere within the
    U.S.? Answer: No, some six years later and you still can't afford
    to pay rent on an "eCS Store" nor pay your own business taxes
    in the state of Texas. You have registered your business under
    the name of "Serenity Systems" but to avoid receiving complaints
    or facing consumers you illegally claim the product comes from
    "Serenity Systems International".

    Are you still forced to sell your product *outside* the U.S.
    fearful of consumer complaints? Answer: Yes. You are so
    paranoid that you peddle your product out of "The Netherlands"
    to avoid lawsuits by U.S. consumers.

    > The problem with your misnformation is that the product could not have
    > stayed around for all those years without significant sales.


    Of course it could. Warp City is still around for far more years and
    you claim we have no subscribers? How can that be? You have
    no employees, pay no salaries to anyone but yourself, and have
    nearly depleted your retirement fund.

    > Maintaining
    > an OEM agreement with IBM requires meeting significant revenue
    > objectives, which were met in 2000, 2001, etc.


    No, it has no such requirement. the *only* requirement is the yearly
    payment and your right to sell an established number of OEM OS/2
    licenses. You have plenty of the latter because eCS has been a
    dismal failure.

    > btw ... another bit of you misinformation you were promulgating awhile
    > ago was that the IBM OEM agreement would end this month and would not be
    > renewed. Looks like you got that wrong, too. eComStation will sail into
    > 2006 with a new release and significant new features.


    No "misinformation" at all. IBM did not renew your OEM agreement.
    What
    you have to sell for 2006 is leftover inventory from 2005. Your
    request to
    IBM for OS/2 source code was firmly denied and you cannot change,
    alter,
    enhance, upgrade, or adjust any part of IBM's OS/2 operating system.
    You
    can 'add to' 'pile on' and 'bundle' but that's it. Even then you are
    restricted
    and are forbidden - again by OEM contract - from 'rebranding the OS/2
    product or marketing eCS as "IBM's OS/2 operating system".

    You forget, I have a copy of the OEM agreement. :-)

    eCS will 'live on' as long as you have unsold OS/2 licenses and that
    could take us into 2010 because the same six eCS buyers are old men
    on limited incomes.

    > Nope, I really don't feel like complaining. Things are good, thanks.


    At least not publicly. Privately you are desperate, frustrated and
    know
    full well eCS is, has been, and will always be - a failed product.

    Thanks for piping in. We enjoy making a fool out of you and your
    facetious claims!

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  17. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support


    Mike Luther wrote:
    > ... I note in the Polarbar formum, it's reported that Pbar
    > is alledged to now be working fine with this SR9.


    What's up with PolarBar anyway (and where's the forum)? The
    http://www.polarbar.org/ web site is still there but nothing on it has
    been updated in years.


  18. FUD4 Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Probably would be better for your position not to mention Warp City.
    What was once reputed to be a worthwhile site has become something
    tortured .. looking for something to do. Auction, "adult" hosting. Pitiful.

    © The OS/2 Guy © wrote:


    >
    >
    >>Maintaining
    >>an OEM agreement with IBM requires meeting significant revenue
    >>objectives, which were met in 2000, 2001, etc.

    >
    >
    > No, it has no such requirement.


    Anyone is free to contact IBM and ascertain the terms and conditions
    required. No reason to take my word ... or yours.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  19. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    What does this have to do with the subject line?

    On Tue, 6 Dec 2005 02:38:09 UTC, "Percival P. Cassidy"
    wrote:

    > On 12/05/05 06:08 pm Mike Ross tossed the following ingredients into the
    > ever-growing pot of cybersoup:
    >
    > >>>It's NOT 128 digits (it's a 17-character User Name and an 88-character
    > >>>key), and they say specifically NOT to try typing in the key, although I
    > >>>did so once successfully.
    > >>
    > >>It doesn't matter if the damn thing is ten digits Percy, it isn't
    > >>needed
    > >>at all. We're talking about a product here that has sold to no more
    > >>than a handful of people. *IF*, and I stress that boldly, eCS were to
    > >>ever seriously sell then a registration code or key *may* be warranted
    > >>but as it stands now, it is a hinderence to all sales, an annoyance
    > >>and a forced frustration that no consumer should have to deal with.

    > >
    > >
    > > It's a very rare day - I have to say I agree with Dr. Martin 100% on
    > > this issue.
    > >
    > >
    > >>>Since then I always saved the registration info. from the email I
    > >>>received and imported it from a floppy or from the maintenance partition
    > >>>-- until just a week or so ago when I installed eCS 1.2.1 (the 1.2 Media
    > >>>Refresh) and imported it from a USB memory stick.
    > >>
    > >>You keep missing the point here, Perce. I dunno, maybe you're just
    > >>stupid (the fact that you use eCS certainly tends to confirm that), but
    > >>all new computers and laptops purchased today *HAVE NO FLOPPY
    > >>DRIVES*

    > >
    > >
    > > Precisely my situation, and the reason for my aggravation installing
    > > eCS on my laptop. On the other hand, eCS was the only version of OS/2
    > > that would even install on the thing - WSeB and 4.52 wouldn't look at
    > > it. On the gripping hand, in a couple of weeks eCS will be the only
    > > game in town for 'modern' hardware, unless you manage to track down a
    > > copy of 4.52 on ebay.

    >
    > DID YOU READ what I wrote? I wrote that the last time I installed eCS
    > (to be specific, the Media Refresh) I imported the key FROM A USB MEMORY
    > STICK (and that was precisely because I was installing on a notebook
    > that uses interchangeable devices in a single bay, so it can have CD-ROM
    > *or* floppy, but not both at the same time). Previously when installing
    > eCS on that notebook, I have stored the key ahead of time on the
    > maintenance partition.
    >
    > Perce



    --
    Chuck McKinnis
    mckinnis@sandia.net
    Covenant Solutions
    http://7cities.net/~mckinnis/

  20. eCS CAN be installed on floppyless notebooks. Was: IBM Releases UpdatedOS/2 Enhanced IDE Support, but I was

    On 12/06/05 07:19 pm Chuck McKinnis tossed the following ingredients
    into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

    >>>>>It's NOT 128 digits (it's a 17-character User Name and an 88-character
    >>>>>key), and they say specifically NOT to try typing in the key, although I
    >>>>>did so once successfully.


    >>>>It doesn't matter if the damn thing is ten digits Percy, it isn't
    >>>>needed
    >>>>at all. We're talking about a product here that has sold to no more
    >>>>than a handful of people. *IF*, and I stress that boldly, eCS were to
    >>>>ever seriously sell then a registration code or key *may* be warranted
    >>>>but as it stands now, it is a hinderence to all sales, an annoyance
    >>>>and a forced frustration that no consumer should have to deal with.


    >>>It's a very rare day - I have to say I agree with Dr. Martin 100% on
    >>>this issue.


    >>>>>Since then I always saved the registration info. from the email I
    >>>>>received and imported it from a floppy or from the maintenance partition
    >>>>>-- until just a week or so ago when I installed eCS 1.2.1 (the 1.2 Media
    >>>>>Refresh) and imported it from a USB memory stick.


    >>>>You keep missing the point here, Perce. I dunno, maybe you're just
    >>>>stupid (the fact that you use eCS certainly tends to confirm that), but
    >>>>all new computers and laptops purchased today *HAVE NO FLOPPY
    >>>>DRIVES*


    >>>Precisely my situation, and the reason for my aggravation installing
    >>>eCS on my laptop. On the other hand, eCS was the only version of OS/2
    >>>that would even install on the thing - WSeB and 4.52 wouldn't look at
    >>>it. On the gripping hand, in a couple of weeks eCS will be the only
    >>>game in town for 'modern' hardware, unless you manage to track down a
    >>>copy of 4.52 on ebay.


    >>DID YOU READ what I wrote? I wrote that the last time I installed eCS
    >>(to be specific, the Media Refresh) I imported the key FROM A USB MEMORY
    >>STICK (and that was precisely because I was installing on a notebook
    >>that uses interchangeable devices in a single bay, so it can have CD-ROM
    >>*or* floppy, but not both at the same time). Previously when installing
    >>eCS on that notebook, I have stored the key ahead of time on the
    >>maintenance partition.


    > What does this have to do with the subject line?


    OK, the discussion has wandered away from the original subject line
    without it having been changed, but I was responding to Mike Ross's
    agreement with the claim that the need to enter a registration key makes
    it impossible to install eCS on a notebook without a floppy drive.

    Perce

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast