Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support - OS2 ; In , on 12/04/2005 at 02:21 PM, " The OS/2 Guy " said: >Ian Johnston wrote: >> On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 05:20:25 UTC, " The OS2 Guy " >> wrote: >> >> : People say you're the guy behind ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 126

Thread: Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

  1. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    In <1133734914.359654.290130@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, on 12/04/2005
    at 02:21 PM, " The OS/2 Guy " said:



    >Ian Johnston wrote:
    >> On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 05:20:25 UTC, " The OS2 Guy "
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> : People say you're the guy behind the bastardization of
    >> : the OEM version of OS/2 found in eComStation.
    >>
    >> I am delighted to see that you finally accept that eCS contains OS/2.
    >> Shall we all move on now?


    >You *do* have a reading comprehenson problem, Ian. There is a BIG
    >difference between a *real* OS/2 operating system and an OEM version of
    >OS/2. An OS/2 OS is gold. An OEM version of OS/2 is fool's gold.



    Exactly. And that's why there isn't one single ecs enterprise customer
    anywhere in the world, and there never will be.




    >--
    >Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    >Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    >email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com




  2. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On 3 Dec 2005 21:31:14 -0800, "© The OS/2 Guy ©"
    wrote:

    >Where's your OS/2
    >WarpCenter Ian? And the stopwatch and date program that is available
    >to all *real* OS/2 users but not to the stupid eCS Luser?


    Who in hell cares about a frelling stopwatch on a PC? That's about as
    useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.

    >How come
    >your damn desktop is clogged up with big old ugly looking icons so
    >large that ten of them hide your desktop background?


    Presumably because he's sloppy; my desktop isn't cluttered at all.

    >Here's another Ian - how come you poor eCS Lusers have to manually
    >insert a 128-digit registration code over and over when you want to set
    >up and partition a hard disk prior to eCS installation?


    An excellent point, as I've said before. If eCS was, say, Photoshop,
    or some other piece of software that 'everyone' wanted, I would
    understand a certain level of security. It is, however, a piece of
    software that's of no interest whatever to 99.99% of PC users, and yet
    it has the most annoyingly paranoid registration key I've ever seen.

    I wouldn't give it houseroom, for exactly that reason, if it wasn't
    for the fact that no other version of OS/2 would even install on my
    laptop.

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores
    I am the history within'

  3. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Victor Bien wrote:

    > I must say that this is the first time for me that I've got something
    > out of Tim's contribution. For a long time I could not understand the
    > noise he has been making. Consequently I stopped bothering to read any
    > noise started by him and was irrited by that garbage filling NG lists.


    Thank you, Victor, for taking the time to read my review. You may be
    unaware of it but you don't have to give up your current Warp 4.52
    system simply because you don't think you'll have access to the files
    to update it. Far from it. All you have to do is download OS2MT
    (OS/2 Maintenance Tool) at http://www.os2mt.tk/ ( authored and
    distributed by Zsolt Kadar. The program will download and install
    all the updates and OS/2 programs you want or need to keep your
    OS/2 Warp 4.52 operating system up to date.

    As for investing eCS I don't think you understand the repercussions
    of such actions. eCS is a 'dumbed down' version of Warp 4.52.
    You're used to using Warp 4.52 and you're going to find eCS will
    be missing quite a few (and very much needed/wanted) OS/2
    native features. AND, you're going to find eCS doesn't work as
    well as your OS/2 Warp 4.52 system. If you are smart then you'll
    keep your Warp 4.52 system and install eCS on another partition.
    That way you'll see exactly how 'poor' eCS is when compared
    to OS/2 Warp 4.52.

    And maybe then you'll get even more out of my contributions.
    My devotion is to OS/2 but if eComStation were to ever surpass
    OS/2 Warp 4.52 I would open my arms to it and recommend it
    to others.

    The reality is - eCS comes no where near the quality, power and
    stability of OS/2 Warp 4.52. It's that simple and anyone who tells
    you differently is blatantly lying to you. I know. I have them both.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  4. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    > In <1133734914.359654.290130@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, on 12/04/2005
    > at 02:21 PM, " The OS/2 Guy " said:
    >
    >>Ian Johnston wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 05:20:25 UTC, " The OS2 Guy "
    >>>wrote:
    >>>
    >>>: People say you're the guy behind the bastardization of
    >>>: the OEM version of OS/2 found in eComStation.
    >>>
    >>>I am delighted to see that you finally accept that eCS contains OS/2.
    >>>Shall we all move on now?

    >
    >>You *do* have a reading comprehenson problem, Ian. There is a BIG
    >>difference between a *real* OS/2 operating system and an OEM version of
    >>OS/2. An OS/2 OS is gold. An OEM version of OS/2 is fool's gold.

    >
    > Exactly. And that's why there isn't one single ecs enterprise customer
    > anywhere in the world, and there never will be.


    Agreed - wholeheartedly! Why would any large enterprise want
    to run eCS when it is 'less than' OS/2 itself? They don't and that's
    a hurdle Serenity/St. John cannot overcome.

    And without access to IBM's OS/2 source code Serenity/St. John
    will never be able to over come the power and stability of OS/2.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  5. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    © The OS/2 Guy © wrote:
    > Victor Bien wrote:
    >
    >
    >> I must say that this is the first time for me that I've got something
    >>out of Tim's contribution. For a long time I could not understand the
    >>noise he has been making. Consequently I stopped bothering to read any
    >>noise started by him and was irrited by that garbage filling NG lists.


    > As for investing eCS I don't think you understand the repercussions
    > of such actions. eCS is a 'dumbed down' version of Warp 4.52.
    > You're used to using Warp 4.52 and you're going to find eCS will
    > be missing quite a few (and very much needed/wanted) OS/2
    > native features. AND, you're going to find eCS doesn't work as
    > well as your OS/2 Warp 4.52 system. If you are smart then you'll
    > keep your Warp 4.52 system and install eCS on another partition.
    > That way you'll see exactly how 'poor' eCS is when compared
    > to OS/2 Warp 4.52.
    >


    Actually I haven't had the curiosity, inclination, need or time to
    install eCS. I subscribed to eCS because at the time I had no (time
    effective) means to get FP5 - the price was about the same maybe a bit
    dearer but "cheaper" if I factored in the fuss and bother needed to be
    dogmatic about getting it from IBM. So I still run 4.52 but the path
    which I got FP5 was thru eCS.

    So I note the shortcomings of eCS with interest although my interest
    is academic at this time.

    I have noted your reference to OS/2 maintenance tool - thanks, I've
    bookmarked it.

    --
    To reply by e-mail edit this address to the correct form: vbien at
    attglobal dot net

  6. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Mike Ross wrote:
    > On 3 Dec 2005 21:31:14 -0800, "© The OS/2 Guy ©"
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Where's your OS/2
    >>WarpCenter Ian? And the stopwatch and date program that is available
    >>to all *real* OS/2 users but not to the stupid eCS Luser?

    >
    >
    > Who in hell cares about a frelling stopwatch on a PC? That's about as
    > useful as an ashtray on a motorbike.


    To you perhaps but to others who use and rely on it as a part of their
    OS/2 operating system, it's an important but lost feature in eCS.
    But that's not the only lost feature and the most important one is the
    entire WarpCenter itself. The eCenter is nothing more than a
    renamed xCenter removed from XWorkplace and used in eCS.
    The eCenter and the xCenter come now where near the quality
    and power of the WarpCenter, yet the WarpCenter was removed
    entirely along with several of the important and very much wanted
    WarpCenter features: The Kill App mechanism most importantly
    because it allows the OS/2 user to kill 99% of all errant applications
    without taking down or freezing up the OS/2 operating system.

    That's pretty important, don't you think? What did Serenity replace
    it with in eCS? CAD and CAD doesn't work at all. It may work on
    some twinky lite program but I have yet to get the damn thing to
    close down any errant program that has frozen up eCS and left
    me sitting there dumbfounded for ten minutes not wanting to accept
    the fact that I've got to reboot the whole damn system. And you
    know why I dread that, in spite of the fact that I wouldn't have to
    reboot the entire system if running Warp 4.52, is the fact that it
    is going to take eCS three to four times as long to boot up then it
    does OS/2 Warp 4.52.

    Think about that for a moment. You're running a business or you've
    got to get back online to place an eBay bid before the auction
    time runs out and your forced to sit there and wait four times as
    long before you can even see a working eCS desktop. Dude, we're
    talking time and money here and no eCS product is worth that kind
    of foolishness.

    But we're not just missing the App Kill program and the StopWatch
    program. The date display has been axed. Now we all know that
    there are a gazillion OS/2 desktop clocks that can be and are used.
    ODPro offers the best one in the Control Center. So having the date
    display as an option has always been a Godsend. But you don't
    have the WarpCenter feature in eCS.

    No drop down OS/2 Information, troubleshooting, software updates,
    technical notes, internet information, reference and commands,
    tasks or problem determination tools icon. Gone. Removed.

    All replaced with a thing called an "eCenter" which is flaky and
    a third party "addon" that can be easily added to the bottom of
    the screen, if wanted or needed.

    Without the solid OS/2 native WarpCenter, eCS offers the user
    less of an operating system whereas the OS/2 Warp 4.52
    user not only gets this great feature but he can supplement
    his system with the free xCenter and add his own widgets
    giving him the best of both worlds.

    >>How come
    >>your damn desktop is clogged up with big old ugly looking icons so
    >>large that ten of them hide your desktop background?

    >
    > Presumably because he's sloppy; my desktop isn't cluttered at all.


    It really has nothing to do with sloppiness at all. Taking a look at
    my desktop, which displays an enhanting Thomas Kincaid garden,
    I have but five mini-icons hanging stealthly on a brick wall. I *know*
    they are there but the casual viewer walking by sees the painting
    and more often then not comments on 'what a nice desktop'.

    When I brought this same desktop into eCS as the desktop I kept
    wondering why the thing looked so odd and why the icons stuck
    out so glaringly. Then I realized they were double the size of
    the same icons on the OS/2 Warp 4.52 desktop. Ok, so how
    do I change that, you know, where is the "small icons" setting?
    There isn't one. The eCS Luser is stuck with the bigger sized
    icons.

    Now place 26 of those poker chips on your desktop and to hell
    with the picture behind them - you aren't going to enjoy it unless
    you create a folder and dump all your big icons into it.

    Again, the eCS user ends up the eCS Luser. None of these missing
    features may mean anything to you but to a majority of OS/2 users
    they are going to miss them.

    >>Here's another Ian - how come you poor eCS Lusers have to manually
    >>insert a 128-digit registration code over and over when you want to set
    >>up and partition a hard disk prior to eCS installation?

    >
    > An excellent point, as I've said before. If eCS was, say, Photoshop,
    > or some other piece of software that 'everyone' wanted, I would
    > understand a certain level of security. It is, however, a piece of
    > software that's of no interest whatever to 99.99% of PC users, and yet
    > it has the most annoyingly paranoid registration key I've ever seen.
    >
    > I wouldn't give it houseroom, for exactly that reason, if it wasn't
    > for the fact that no other version of OS/2 would even install on my
    > laptop.
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > http://www.corestore.org
    > 'As I walk along these shores
    > I am the history within'


    I'm one of the lucky ones because I do have an external floppy
    that connects to my Replicators and Docking Stations. I was able
    to import the reg number but I just can't imagine anyone sitting
    there for thirty minutes trying to format a hard drive, reboot,
    reinsert that 128 digit, adjust, partition, reboot, reinsert that 128
    digit, add a boot manager, etc.. I'd go nuts and install IBM's
    OS/2 Warp 4.52 and use OS2MT to update it for free, no
    reg code required.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  7. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    © The OS/2 Guy © wrote:

    > No drop down OS/2 Information, troubleshooting, software updates,
    > technical notes, internet information, reference and commands,
    > tasks or problem determination tools icon. Gone. Removed.


    Yeah, that stuff is *so* useful.
    Honestly, I think the last time I looked at that stuff was 1996.

  8. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support [FUD4]

    Steve Wendt wrote:
    > © The OS/2 Guy © wrote:
    >
    >> No drop down OS/2 Information, troubleshooting, software updates,
    >> technical notes, internet information, reference and commands,
    >> tasks or problem determination tools icon. Gone. Removed.

    >
    > Yeah, that stuff is *so* useful.
    > Honestly, I think the last time I looked at that stuff was 1996.


    Desktop -> Local System -> Help Center

    --
    Best regards,
    Jeroen Besse
    http://rblcheck.besse.nl/
    (to contact me: the nospam address actually exists)

  9. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    In <1133748973.787058.93710@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>, on 12/04/2005
    at 06:16 PM, " The OS/2 Guy " said:



    >letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >> In <1133734914.359654.290130@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>, on 12/04/2005
    >> at 02:21 PM, " The OS/2 Guy " said:
    >>
    >>>Ian Johnston wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 05:20:25 UTC, " The OS2 Guy "
    >>>>wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>: People say you're the guy behind the bastardization of
    >>>>: the OEM version of OS/2 found in eComStation.
    >>>>
    >>>>I am delighted to see that you finally accept that eCS contains OS/2.
    >>>>Shall we all move on now?

    >>
    >>>You *do* have a reading comprehenson problem, Ian. There is a BIG
    >>>difference between a *real* OS/2 operating system and an OEM version of
    >>>OS/2. An OS/2 OS is gold. An OEM version of OS/2 is fool's gold.

    >>
    >> Exactly. And that's why there isn't one single ecs enterprise customer
    >> anywhere in the world, and there never will be.


    >Agreed - wholeheartedly! Why would any large enterprise want to run eCS
    >when it is 'less than' OS/2 itself? They don't and that's a hurdle
    >Serenity/St. John cannot overcome.


    >And without access to IBM's OS/2 source code Serenity/St. John will never
    >be able to over come the power and stability of OS/2.



    The other fact in this turth is that the enterprise market is where the
    money is. Without that market to fund development, even the source code is
    not going to keep ecs going. -- And the hidden factor in that is that no
    enterprise IS manager is going to trust his career of the antics and
    bull**** of booby st. john; e.g., its been said that no one has ever been
    fired for buying IBM. booby can't offer that stability and safety. Hell,
    he can't even give an honest answer to anything asked here.



    >--
    >Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    >Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    >email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com




  10. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Luc Van Bogaert wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 03:20:08 UTC, " The OS/2 Guy "
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Ok, so how do I change that, you know, where is the "small icons" setting?

    >
    >
    > on eCS 1.2 : folder Properties -> View -> Icon view -> Small size
    >
    >
    >>There isn't one.

    >
    >
    > You're a liar.
    >


    It may be there but I haven't looked. Serenity has changed the
    normal OS/2 setup options and coming from an OS/2 point of
    view that makes it difficult to do what was is so easy with OS/2.

    How about the WarpCenter itself? Can I bring that back? I'd rather
    have the date display and the program that kills apps then the
    eCenter itself. And why won't my VIO windows (z! NFTP and Injoy)
    remain where positioned? Each time I start them they are off in the
    upper left hand corner and I've got to keep dragging them back.
    That doesn't happen with my OS/2 system. Is there a setting for
    that and where can it be found?

    Luc, why does it take eCS so long to boot up? I can run my
    eCS system and my OS/2 system side by side, reboot them
    both (the eCS system first) and the OS/2 system desktop comes
    up long before eCS. Sometimes I think eCS has frozen or isn't
    going to boot because it takes so long. Can I change that?

    Why does eCS freeze so often? Dr. Martin has advised I install
    a program called WatchCat. How would that help?

    Thanks.

    The eCS Guy©

  11. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Steve Wendt wrote:
    > © The OS/2 Guy © wrote:
    >
    >> No drop down OS/2 Information, troubleshooting, software updates,
    >> technical notes, internet information, reference and commands,
    >> tasks or problem determination tools icon. Gone. Removed.

    >
    >
    > Yeah, that stuff is *so* useful.
    > Honestly, I think the last time I looked at that stuff was 1996.


    What about the other "stuff"? I think all of those items are useful.
    The CAD function in eCS doesn't work while the "Kill PID" program
    on the WarpCenter has a solid track record. And why does eCS
    crash or freeze so often? What causes that?

    The eCS Guy©

  12. Re: [FUD4] IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:05:50 UTC, The eCS Guy
    wrote:

    > It may be there but I haven't looked. Serenity has changed the
    > normal OS/2 setup options and coming from an OS/2 point of
    > view that makes it difficult to do what was is so easy with OS/2.


    If you haven't looked, why do you say it has been made difficult? How
    would you even know?

    > How about the WarpCenter itself? Can I bring that back? I'd rather
    > have the date display and the program that kills apps then the
    > eCenter itself.


    Everything you need, including the date display, the stopwatch, the
    application killer, and much more is available with the eCenter. In
    another message I have posted en URL where one can get dozens of new
    widgets (read 'features) for the eCenter. As such, the eCenter is in
    fact a step foward compared to the old WarpCenter. But if you really
    want to downgrade, there's no reason why the WarpCenter wouldn't run
    on eCS. After all, it's running on top of OS/2's WPS.

    > And why won't my VIO windows (z! NFTP and Injoy)
    > remain where positioned?


    Don't ask me, rather find out why they don't do that on your system.
    Here, on my system running eCS 1.2, VIO windows always come up at the
    location that I have configured. Tip : use the Shift-key while
    dragging a VIO window into place; it will stay there.

    > Luc, why does it take eCS so long to boot up?


    Here, it boots relatively fast, so you should check your system if
    there is anything wrong.

    > I can run my
    > eCS system and my OS/2 system side by side, reboot them
    > both (the eCS system first) and the OS/2 system desktop comes
    > up long before eCS. Sometimes I think eCS has frozen or isn't
    > going to boot because it takes so long. Can I change that?


    If you're using DHCP on one of your NIC's, check the -d parameter that
    tells the system how long to wait for getting an IP address. It is set
    to 60 secs by default, but you can change that.

    > Why does eCS freeze so often?


    It doesn't freeze or lock up here. There's probably something wrong
    with your hardware. Why don't you post relevant details to the eCS
    newsgroups top get help?


    --
    Luc Van Bogaert

    Via ProNews/2 & eComStation
    http://www.os2world.com/os2ecs

  13. Re: [FUD4] IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:08:10 UTC, The eCS Guy
    wrote:

    > The CAD function in eCS doesn't work while the "Kill PID" program
    > on the WarpCenter has a solid track record.


    The CAD function in eCS works fine here, so there seems to be
    something wrong with your setup. Why don't you post relevant details
    here in the eCS newsgroups to get help?

    --
    Luc Van Bogaert

    Via ProNews/2 & eComStation
    http://www.os2world.com/os2ecs

  14. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    On 12/04/05 07:55 pm Mike Ross tossed the following ingredients into the
    ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

    >>Here's another Ian - how come you poor eCS Lusers have to manually
    >>insert a 128-digit registration code over and over when you want to set
    >>up and partition a hard disk prior to eCS installation?


    > An excellent point, as I've said before. If eCS was, say, Photoshop,
    > or some other piece of software that 'everyone' wanted, I would
    > understand a certain level of security. It is, however, a piece of
    > software that's of no interest whatever to 99.99% of PC users, and yet
    > it has the most annoyingly paranoid registration key I've ever seen.
    >
    > I wouldn't give it houseroom, for exactly that reason, if it wasn't
    > for the fact that no other version of OS/2 would even install on my
    > laptop.


    It's NOT 128 digits (it's a 17-character User Name and an 88-character
    key), and they say specifically NOT to try typing in the key, although I
    did so once successfully.

    Since then I always saved the registration info. from the email I
    received and imported it from a floppy or from the maintenance partition
    -- until just a week or so ago when I installed eCS 1.2.1 (the 1.2 Media
    Refresh) and imported it from a USB memory stick.

    Perce

  15. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    > All you have to do is download OS2MT
    > (OS/2 Maintenance Tool) at http://www.os2mt.tk/ ( authored and
    > distributed by Zsolt Kadar.


    Unfortunately, Firefox is unable to find that URL.


  16. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    > On 12/04/05 07:55 pm Mike Ross tossed the following ingredients into the
    > ever-growing pot of cybersoup:
    >
    >>> Here's another Ian - how come you poor eCS Lusers have to manually
    >>> insert a 128-digit registration code over and over when you want to set
    >>> up and partition a hard disk prior to eCS installation?

    >
    >> An excellent point, as I've said before. If eCS was, say, Photoshop,
    >> or some other piece of software that 'everyone' wanted, I would
    >> understand a certain level of security. It is, however, a piece of
    >> software that's of no interest whatever to 99.99% of PC users, and yet
    >> it has the most annoyingly paranoid registration key I've ever seen.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't give it houseroom, for exactly that reason, if it wasn't
    >> for the fact that no other version of OS/2 would even install on my
    >> laptop.

    >
    > It's NOT 128 digits (it's a 17-character User Name and an 88-character
    > key), and they say specifically NOT to try typing in the key, although I
    > did so once successfully.


    It doesn't matter if the damn thing is ten digits Percy, it isn't
    needed
    at all. We're talking about a product here that has sold to no more
    than a handful of people. *IF*, and I stress that boldly, eCS were to
    ever seriously sell then a registration code or key *may* be warranted
    but as it stands now, it is a hinderence to all sales, an annoyance
    and a forced frustration that no consumer should have to deal with.

    > Since then I always saved the registration info. from the email I
    > received and imported it from a floppy or from the maintenance partition
    > -- until just a week or so ago when I installed eCS 1.2.1 (the 1.2 Media
    > Refresh) and imported it from a USB memory stick.


    You keep missing the point here, Perce. I dunno, maybe you're just
    stupid (the fact that you use eCS certainly tends to confirm that), but
    all new computers and laptops purchased today *HAVE NO FLOPPY
    DRIVES*

    Do you not understand that serious problem? Here's the synopsis:
    you just bought a fine looking "OS/2 hardware compatible" desktop
    from ERA and slapped down over $300 for eComStation v1.2R.
    You use another computer to download two ISO files totally nearly
    1GIG and you burn your eCS installation CD and the eCS CD.

    Now you've got to haul ass off to the eComstation web site and
    register there then register your new purchase to obtain a
    multi-multi-digit
    text file. You turn to your new computer, insert your eCS install CD
    and
    before you can even partition the 180GIG hard drive you've got to
    someone get that multi-multi-digit registration number into the eCS
    registration boxes. Yes, there is an "import your reg key" button
    but without access to a reg key via Floppy Drive then you're sitting
    there like an idiot and you've got to start all over. Write out your
    multi-multi-digit reg code and not screw it up when writing it and
    begin again.

    Now only will you have to begin several more times *after* that
    but by the time you've entered it you've probably memorized
    the first 30 digits!

    How pathetic is that? And for what? Fearful that someone installs
    a copy of eCS without paying Boob St. John for the (cough cough)
    privilege?

    You're an idyit, Perce. A bona-fide idyit if you think eCS is so
    important that it even needs a registration code. eCS has so
    many problems that the eCS user is truly and eCS Luser when
    compared to the power and stability OS/2 Warp 4.52 gives to
    the *real* OS/2 user.

    No matter how many times you eCS Lusers come in here and
    try to justify the lack of features, the paranoid registration
    requirements,
    and turn a blind eye to the never-ending "no reason" eCS system
    freezes, you aren't going to convince anyone. You can't because
    the truth about eCS has been revealed far too many times.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  17. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Luc Van Bogaert wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:08:10 UTC, The eCS Guy
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The CAD function in eCS doesn't work while the "Kill PID" program
    >>on the WarpCenter has a solid track record.

    >
    > The CAD function in eCS works fine here, so there seems to be
    > something wrong with your setup. Why don't you post relevant details
    > here in the eCS newsgroups to get help?


    Now *you're* lying, Luc. The CAD function fails to work 99
    out of 100 times on a full normal installation and a customized
    installation of eCS v1.2R. Many many people have complained
    about this failure of eCS in every eCS forum.

    More to the point, eCS will - for no known reason - simply
    freeze itself resulting in a forced reboot.

    Reboot? Do you *really* want to go there, Luc? 3-4 times
    longer than a normal OS/2 Warp 4.52 boot. The eCs Luser
    sits there like an idyit wondering if his machine is dead or
    if eCS has failed to boot up - not for just a minute or two minutes
    but for several minutes. Finally it shows some life and eventually
    and very slowly builds a desktop with those big fat defaulted
    icons all over the place.

    The truth is out, Luc. No matter how many times you stomp
    yo widdle feet and lie to the OS/2 communuity no one is
    going to believe you. NOT anymore.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  18. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support [FUD4]

    © The OS2 Guy © wrote:
    > Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
    >> On 12/04/05 07:55 pm Mike Ross tossed the following ingredients into the
    >> ever-growing pot of cybersoup:
    >>
    >>>> Here's another Ian - how come you poor eCS Lusers have to manually
    >>>> insert a 128-digit registration code over and over when you want to set
    >>>> up and partition a hard disk prior to eCS installation?
    >>> An excellent point, as I've said before. If eCS was, say, Photoshop,
    >>> or some other piece of software that 'everyone' wanted, I would
    >>> understand a certain level of security. It is, however, a piece of
    >>> software that's of no interest whatever to 99.99% of PC users, and yet
    >>> it has the most annoyingly paranoid registration key I've ever seen.
    >>>
    >>> I wouldn't give it houseroom, for exactly that reason, if it wasn't
    >>> for the fact that no other version of OS/2 would even install on my
    >>> laptop.

    >> It's NOT 128 digits (it's a 17-character User Name and an 88-character
    >> key), and they say specifically NOT to try typing in the key, although I
    >> did so once successfully.

    >
    > It doesn't matter if the damn thing is ten digits Percy, it isn't
    > needed
    > at all. We're talking about a product here that has sold to no more
    > than a handful of people. *IF*, and I stress that boldly, eCS were to
    > ever seriously sell then a registration code or key *may* be warranted
    > but as it stands now, it is a hinderence to all sales, an annoyance
    > and a forced frustration that no consumer should have to deal with.
    >
    >> Since then I always saved the registration info. from the email I
    >> received and imported it from a floppy or from the maintenance partition
    >> -- until just a week or so ago when I installed eCS 1.2.1 (the 1.2 Media
    >> Refresh) and imported it from a USB memory stick.

    >
    > You keep missing the point here, Perce. I dunno, maybe you're just
    > stupid (the fact that you use eCS certainly tends to confirm that), but
    > all new computers and laptops purchased today *HAVE NO FLOPPY
    > DRIVES*




    Read again: USB memory stick.

  19. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Luc Van Bogaert wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 13:05:50 UTC, The eCS Guy
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It may be there but I haven't looked. Serenity has changed the
    >>normal OS/2 setup options and coming from an OS/2 point of
    >>view that makes it difficult to do what was is so easy with OS/2.

    >
    > If you haven't looked, why do you say it has been made difficult? How
    > would you even know?


    Because it isn't where it should be - if it is even there at all. You
    say it has been moved off to a far away folder somewhere on the system.
    There is no "File Finder" button in the eCenter like there is in the
    OS/2 WarpCenter and that means the eCS Luser has to go fishing and
    mining just to find what should be a very simple and easy to find
    display option.
    >
    >>How about the WarpCenter itself? Can I bring that back? I'd rather
    >>have the date display and the program that kills apps then the
    >>eCenter itself.

    >
    > Everything you need, including the date display, the stopwatch, the
    > application killer, and much more is available with the eCenter. In
    > another message I have posted en URL where one can get dozens of new
    > widgets (read 'features) for the eCenter. As such, the eCenter is in
    > fact a step foward compared to the old WarpCenter. But if you really
    > want to downgrade, there's no reason why the WarpCenter wouldn't run
    > on eCS. After all, it's running on top of OS/2's WPS.


    First, the eCenter is a piece of ****. Unstable, cheap looking and a
    'third party addon' unlike the WarpCenter. Second the so called
    widgets" are gangly, unattractive, most don't work (as advertised) and
    they end up taking far more room then needed. For a stopwatch, date
    and clock you'd have to install three widgets. The OS/2 WarpCenter
    offers a far superior stopwatch, date and (pretty) clock as one
    clickable feature.

    eCenter is nothing but a minor third party "addon" known to have bugs.
    It is a step backward for the eCS Luser compared to the native
    WarpCenter provided in OS/2 Warp 4.52.

    Tell him (and all of us) how to get the WarpCenter back. If they want
    an "eCenter" all they have to do is add the minor third party addon
    known as XWorkplace and they can have it.

    With eCS you get less of a product then the OS/2 user gets with Warp
    4.52.

    >>And why won't my VIO windows (z! NFTP and Injoy)
    >>remain where positioned?

    >
    > Don't ask me, rather find out why they don't do that on your system.
    > Here, on my system running eCS 1.2, VIO windows always come up at the
    > location that I have configured. Tip : use the Shift-key while
    > dragging a VIO window into place; it will stay there.


    Gee, I don't use a "shift" key in OS/2 Warp 4.52, why does eCS force
    you to use that combination instead of just dragging, adjusting the
    size, maximize, minimize then close?

    With eCS you get less of a product then the OS/2 user gets with Warp
    4.52.
    >
    >>Luc, why does it take eCS so long to boot up?

    >
    > Here, it boots relatively fast, so you should check your system if
    > there is anything wrong.


    Nice try Bozo but the slow boot process is one of the biggest
    complaints filling up the eCS forums - and you know it. There is no
    reason for eCS to take any longer to boot up then an OS/2 Warp 4.52
    system - except for the fact that eCS uses an OEM version of OS/2 and
    has so damn much **** piled on top of it that it has become cumbersome
    and unstable.

    With eCS you get less of a product then the OS/2 user gets with Warp
    4.52
    >
    >>I can run my
    >>eCS system and my OS/2 system side by side, reboot them
    >>both (the eCS system first) and the OS/2 system desktop comes
    >>up long before eCS. Sometimes I think eCS has frozen or isn't
    >>going to boot because it takes so long. Can I change that?

    >
    > If you're using DHCP on one of your NIC's, check the -d parameter that
    > tells the system how long to wait for getting an IP address. It is set
    > to 60 secs by default, but you can change that.


    Didn't have to check OS/2 and add a -d parameter.

    With eCS you get less of a product then the OS/2 user gets with Warp
    4.52
    >
    >>Why does eCS freeze so often?

    >
    > It doesn't freeze or lock up here.


    Ahhh, Luc is the "annointed" one whose eCS system seems to have none of
    the oft-repeatedly reported problems beseiging other CS
    Lusers. Those other eCS Lusers are dumb and stupid unlike Luc.

    >There's probably something wrong
    > with your hardware. Why don't you post relevant details to the eCS
    > newsgroups top get help?


    I've read his posts there along with several other eCS Lusers who
    complain of the same thing. They spend hours posting their "details'
    and still no answer to the system freezing problem has resulted.

    The one freezing problem I found with eCS v1.2R was with an errant or
    'non-eCS-compatible' OS/2 program. I say non-eCS-compatible" program
    because the very same program runs well under OS/2 Warp 4.52.

    Luc will say it is a hardware problem. He can't blame it on IBM as he
    is want to do and what used to be the normal refrain (I dunno, ask IBM
    it's their fault...).

    I'm going to repeat this again: "With eCS you get less of a product
    then the OS/2 user gets with Warp 4.52"

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  20. Re: IBM Releases Updated OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support

    Hello,
    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 08:55:42 -0500, The eCS Guy wrote:

    >The eCenter is just the xCenter (renamed from XWorkplace) and if you
    >like that xCenter >feature you can add it to your OS/'2 system.
    >Without the WarpCenter your eComstation is less than OS/2.

    I don't agree, you can give e(x)Center all the features of warpcenter and more.
    I especially like the Wlan widget and lSwitcher. On http://www.os2usr.org/xcenter/
    you can find all kind of widgets, including a stopwatch and find.

    >> : How come
    >> : your damn desktop is clogged up with big old ugly looking icons so
    >> : large that ten of them hide your desktop background?
    >>
    >> There are twenty six icons on my desktop as I speak, covering a minute
    >> proportion of my desktop. Do you perhaps still have a 640 * 480 VGA
    >> monitor?

    >
    >In OS/2 Warp 4.52 we have the option of using "mini" icons, which are
    >the size of 20x20 pixels and are as crisp and clear as the larger
    >sized icons of 40x40 pixels available in OS/2 and defaulted in eCS.


    With "set sddicons=small" in config.sys you get small sized icons.
    Though with this setting they are a bit to small for me, because of the screen
    resolution I use.

    >This has been removed from eComstation's eCenter. The makers
    >of eCS would like you to put a shadow of the Seek and Scan program
    >on your desktop if you want such a feature. The advantage of the
    >WarpCenter File Finder was the ability to quickly find a file on your
    >system. The Seek and Scan is a second defaulted file finder program
    >on the OS/2 system and can be added to your WarpCenter or to your
    >desktop as a "mini" icon if you like it's searching abilities. File Finder
    >displays an icon of the file searched. Clicking on the properties option
    >gives you indepth info on the file. Seek and Scan displays the full
    >path to the found file. Without the ability to use a built-in File Finder
    >on the eCenter in eComstation means you have less then the OS/2
    >user has in the way of WarpCenter features.

    Most of the time I use PMseek, because I can look for strings in files to,
    so I have that in a tray. But like I said there is a widget for it.

    >
    >> : But wait Ian - how come eCS freezes 'on a whim'? How come eCS takes
    >> : three times as long as OS/2 Warp 4.52 to boot up?
    >>
    >> I cannot help your setup problems. Sorry.

    >
    >The complaint of random system freezes has been reported by several
    >users using eCS v1.2R. It doesn't matter if you use the easy install method
    >or the customized method, eComstation has never been as stable as an
    >OS/2 Warp 4.52 operating system. I have experienced the freezing problem
    >several times and a full reboot can be expected with a bad program or
    >function causes the freeze. There is a feature in eCS that is supposed to
    >kill a non-functioning program which should allow the unfreezing of the
    >system but it does not work. The freezing is bad enough but each reboot
    >under eCS takes a very long time to get back to a working desktop.

    I don't have 1.2R (not available in Dutch yet) so I can't comment on that,
    but 1.2 runs fine here. I don't seen any freezing up.

    >OS/2 has the WarpCenter application killer (hold down the control key
    >and select the application list icon on the WarpCenter). Using that
    >option allows the OS/2 user to kill or close 99% of all non-functioning
    >programs or files. Without the ability to use a functioning application
    >killer and to have a stable non-freezing system when using eCS
    >means eCS users have less than the OS/2 user.

    eCS comes with CADH, looks like a program killer to me. LSwitcher also has a
    nice program killer and I also have Watchcat installed, though I hardly use
    this.

    >> : Here's another Ian - how come you poor eCS Lusers have to manually
    >> : insert a 128-digit registration code over and over when you want to set
    >> : up and partition a hard disk prior to eCS installation?
    >>
    >> Or grab it off a disk?

    >
    >Without access to a floppy to copy it from you have to insert the long
    >almost indeciferable registration code manually. Hardware manufacturers
    >today no longer supply floppy drives in their computers expecting buyers
    >to use the CDRom instead. Laptop users have always been without a
    >floppy drive. To 'grab it off a disk' as you instruct means new hardware
    >buyers and laptop users will have to purchase a separate floppy drive
    >just to be able to 'grab it off a disk'.
    >Prior to installing eCS or OS/2 for that matter there is the ability to
    >partition
    >your hard drive for specific reasons. It has always been a wise decision
    >to install OS/2 in one partition and your applications, music, movies, etc
    >in another or separate partitions.

    My T23 also doesn't have a floppy, so guess were I put the key prior to installing.

    Frank



+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast