Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2? - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2? - OS2 ; Michael DeBusk wrote: > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:19:43 -0500, William L. Hartzell > wrote: > > >> The only problem with Dell or other mass producters is you don't >> know what parts they'll put inside. > > ...

  1. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Michael DeBusk wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:19:43 -0500, William L. Hartzell
    > wrote:
    >

    >> The only problem with Dell or other mass producters is you don't
    >> know what parts they'll put inside.

    > This was my major concern. I've built the bulk of the PCs I've owned
    > for this very reason.

    I've heard that Dell uses non-standard power supplies, so that if the PS
    dies out of warranty, you are at their mercy for a replacement.

    Also, best to keep an XP partition - their [offshore] support people may
    not give you the time of day if you can't demo the problem in XP.

  2. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:48:48 +0000, Julian Thomas wrote:

    > Also, best to keep an XP partition - their [offshore] support people
    > may not give you the time of day if you can't demo the problem in
    > XP.

    That was my intent anyway. Of course, I've been known to lie to tech
    support people if I knew the problem was not OS-related.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

  3. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 12:48:48 +0000, Julian Thomas wrote:

    >I've heard that Dell uses non-standard power supplies, so that if the PS
    >dies out of warranty, you are at their mercy for a replacement.

    Interesting about the PS. Sort of like the problem I had putting in a
    floppy, I couldn't find a cage that worked w/o going back to Dell.

    The PS is one point I forgot to mention in my post about using a Dimension
    3000. The power supply is a piece of junk. I use the Dell on a ship and
    it's power does not run a true 60 cycles. It is close, usually within less
    than 1 cycle. I run it at 220vac. It loses an unbelievable amount of time,
    I presume this is due to some kind of switching used in the power supply. I
    have the Relish scheduler go to the server and correct the time every 6 hours
    just to keep it within a few minutes of the correct time.

    Since I am not where that machine is located at this time I don't have the
    specifics but ISTR that the time was losing as much as 18 minutes a day! The
    Compaq that sits right next to it is rock solid (running w2k) with it's
    timekeeping.

    Jon

  4. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Power source has nothing to do with it as the only timer used is from
    the CMOS clock chip on the mobo. There is no referencing the line freq
    to the clock.
    If the problem happens running other OS's - even just DOS booted from a
    floppy the clock chip is off. Possibly just the CMOS battery is dying,
    but usually the clock chip has its own "10-year" battery in it..
    If you're lucky there might a timer "calibration" prog out there. Check
    the Dell site or Google for it.

    --
    Richard W. Budd
    Synchron Laser Service, Inc.

  5. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 12:58:42 -0400, Richard W. Budd wrote:

    >Power source has nothing to do with it as the only timer used is from
    >the CMOS clock chip on the mobo. There is no referencing the line freq
    >to the clock.

    It ran fine when I had it at home for 2 weeks. I do have a partition with
    Suse on that computer but I am seldom booted into it long enough to notice.
    Next time I will watch it.

    You would have to experience the power source to believe it. As an example,
    a typical electric alarm clock will not keep accurate time (as they are
    designed for 60 cycles, not 59, or 61 or spikes). But if you can find a
    crystal controlled one then it keeps perfect time.

    Jon

  6. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:01:42 -0700 (PDT), Jon
    wrote:

    > You would have to experience the power source to believe it.

    Would a UPS be useful in this situation? One of the things they do is
    to "condition" the power coming in so as to provide a more stable
    stream of electricity to the PC.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

  7. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Sir:

    Michael DeBusk wrote:
    > On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 23:01:42 -0700 (PDT), Jon
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You would have to experience the power source to believe it.

    > Would a UPS be useful in this situation? One of the things they do is
    > to "condition" the power coming in so as to provide a more stable
    > stream of electricity to the PC.

    Very few UPS control the frequency unless they are providing the power.
    To provide that level of service you would need a always-on
    motor/generator pair (rectifier/alternator).
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  8. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    William L. Hartzell wrote:

    > Michael DeBusk wrote:
    >
    >> Would a UPS be useful in this situation? One of the things they do is
    >> to "condition" the power coming in so as to provide a more stable
    >> stream of electricity to the PC.
    >>

    > Very few UPS control the frequency unless they are providing the power.
    > To provide that level of service you would need a always-on
    > motor/generator pair (rectifier/alternator).

    Not true. A basic UPS does nothing at all while mains power is on, but
    "always on" units are only a little higher up the food chain -- and they
    always condition the power, including (IIRC) controlling the frequency.
    (They essentially run from their battery all the time, using mains
    power only to keep the battery charged.) An M/G set would be gross
    overkill for this purpose.

    Dave

  9. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Sir:

    Dave Anderson wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell wrote:
    >
    >> Michael DeBusk wrote:
    >>
    >>> Would a UPS be useful in this situation? One of the things they do is
    >>> to "condition" the power coming in so as to provide a more stable
    >>> stream of electricity to the PC.
    >>>

    >> Very few UPS control the frequency unless they are providing the
    >> power. To provide that level of service you would need a always-on
    >> motor/generator pair (rectifier/alternator).

    > Not true. A basic UPS does nothing at all while mains power is on, but
    > "always on" units are only a little higher up the food chain -- and they
    > always condition the power, including (IIRC) controlling the frequency.
    > (They essentially run from their battery all the time, using mains
    > power only to keep the battery charged.) An M/G set would be gross
    > overkill for this purpose.
    >
    > Dave

    I have a Smart UPS and Back UPS by APC. I did not see that claimed in
    the Smart UPS documentation. They claimed everything but Frequency
    control. The only mentioning of Frequency is a statement that the device
    would synchronize to line upon restore of power.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  10. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Dell advertises servers with a Xeon processor (second is an extra-cost
    option) and no OS for only $500 or so. Since they come without an OS,
    isn't it reasonable to assume that they ought to operate with *any* OS
    and that they shoudl be prepared to honor the warranty even if you
    aren't using WinJunk?

    Perce

    On 07/04/05 08:48 am Julian Thomas tossed the following ingredients into
    the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

    >>> The only problem with Dell or other mass producters is you don't
    >>> know what parts they'll put inside.

    >> This was my major concern. I've built the bulk of the PCs I've owned
    >> for this very reason.

    > I've heard that Dell uses non-standard power supplies, so that if the PS
    > dies out of warranty, you are at their mercy for a replacement.
    >
    > Also, best to keep an XP partition - their [offshore] support people may
    > not give you the time of day if you can't demo the problem in XP.

+ Reply to Thread