Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2? - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2? - OS2 ; Michael DeBusk wrote: > I'm wanting a new PC pretty badly and am liking the deals I see on Dell > computers. Before I put my money down, though, I'd like to hear from > anyone who's had OS/2 experience ...

  1. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Michael DeBusk wrote:
    > I'm wanting a new PC pretty badly and am liking the deals I see on Dell
    > computers. Before I put my money down, though, I'd like to hear from
    > anyone who's had OS/2 experience with a recent Dell PC. Any problems
    > installing Warp 4.52 or eComStation on one?

    I would be very surprised to hear of anyone who has successfully
    installed either OS/2 or eCS on a recent new Dell PC, although it can
    probably still be done by someone who is very knowledgable about
    hardware. If you want a new PC, your best approach is to go the 'white
    box' route where you buy a motherboard, graphics card, case, power
    supply, hard disk, DVD burner, and memory and then plug it all together.
    You will get better and more powerful hardware that way and you are
    less likely to encounter BIOS restrictions on the OS. The price of the
    combined package can also be cheaper than a Dell-equivalent (assuming
    that that exists) but you have to do the work of putting it all together.

    --
    Posted with OS/2 Warp 4.52
    and IBM Web Browser v2.0.5

  2. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 08:50:29 -0700, David T. Johnson
    wrote:

    > If you want a new PC, your best approach is to go the 'white box'
    > route where you buy a motherboard, graphics card, case, power
    > supply, hard disk, DVD burner, and memory and then plug it all
    > together.

    That's my usual approach, and I like doing it that way. Considering the
    overall feedback here, I may do it again.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

  3. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    David T. Johnson wrote:
    > Michael DeBusk wrote:
    >
    >> I'm wanting a new PC pretty badly and am liking the deals I see on Dell
    >> computers. Before I put my money down, though, I'd like to hear from
    >> anyone who's had OS/2 experience with a recent Dell PC. Any problems
    >> installing Warp 4.52 or eComStation on one?

    > I would be very surprised to hear of anyone who has successfully
    > installed either OS/2 or eCS on a recent new Dell PC, although it can
    > probably still be done by someone who is very knowledgable about
    > hardware.

    (snip)

    I'm using eCS 1.2 on a very recent Dell Precision 670 workstation at
    work. It came with a SCSI disk on an Adaptec RAID controller and a
    PCI-E nVidia graphics card. I had to switch to a supported SCSI
    controller (also Adaptec) and a supported PCI-E card (Radeon X600).
    Some hardware knowledge was needed on my part but it was straight
    forward given Dell's pick-and-choose webpage and the eCS (and SNAP) list
    of supported hardware.

    The only truly curious thing about the Dell is that it works fine with
    IBM1S506 but not with DaniS506. The machine will run with Dani but
    very, very slowly.

    Chuck Meins Jr

  4. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:50:50 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, Chuck Meins
    wrote:

    > The only truly curious thing about the Dell is that it works fine with
    > IBM1S506 but not with DaniS506. The machine will run with Dani but
    > very, very slowly.

    What version of Danis506 did you try? I had a similar problem with, iirc, 1.6.8
    and Dani fixed the problem (for me) in one of the 1.7.0 betas.

    --
    Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.
    Trevor-Hemsley at dsl dot pipex dot com

  5. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Trevor Hemsley wrote:
    > On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:50:50 UTC in comp.os.os2.apps, Chuck Meins
    > wrote:
    >
    >>The only truly curious thing about the Dell is that it works fine with
    >>IBM1S506 but not with DaniS506. The machine will run with Dani but
    >>very, very slowly.

    > What version of Danis506 did you try? I had a similar problem with, iirc, 1.6.8
    > and Dani fixed the problem (for me) in one of the 1.7.0 betas.

    It was the latest version at the time, v1.7.2 I think. I sent a trouble
    report to Daniela. She had me run some diagnostics and return the
    outputs to her. She couldn't find anything that explained the problem.
    I also tried v1.7.3 when it came out. Unfortunately, it didn't clear
    up the problem either.

    It takes the Dell about 45 minutes just to boot up with DaniS506 (vs.
    about a minute with IBM1S506). When I first tried installing eCS on the
    Dell I used Dani. I thought that the long delay meant that eCS wasn't
    working. When I finally tried the IBM driver and succeeded in getting
    eCS installed, I was so relieved that I haven't worried too much about
    problem. Of course, it would be nice to have DaniS506 when it comes to
    RSJ and CD/DVD reading and writing.

    Chuck Meins Jr

  6. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 20:50:50 UTC, Chuck Meins
    wrote:

    > The only truly curious thing about the Dell is that it works fine with
    > IBM1S506 but not with DaniS506.

    My Thinkpad R40e will only work with DANIS506.ADD /FORCEGBM /!BM

    Ian