Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2? - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2? - OS2 ; Michael DeBusk wrote: > I'm wanting a new PC pretty badly and am liking the deals I see on Dell > computers. Before I put my money down, though, I'd like to hear from > anyone who's had OS/2 experience ...

  1. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Michael DeBusk wrote:

    > I'm wanting a new PC pretty badly and am liking the deals I see on Dell
    > computers. Before I put my money down, though, I'd like to hear from
    > anyone who's had OS/2 experience with a recent Dell PC. Any problems
    > installing Warp 4.52 or eComStation on one?

    ebay has some good deals on new and refurbished IBM Thinkcentres...

    --
    -bc-

  2. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 17:33:42 -0000, Bill Clark
    wrote:

    > ebay has some good deals on new and refurbished IBM Thinkcentres...

    I thought IBM was out of that business.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

  3. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Michael DeBusk wrote:

    > > ebay has some good deals on new and refurbished IBM Thinkcentres...

    > I thought IBM was out of that business.

    Yes and no ... Apparently they sold off that division to a company, the
    name of which escapes me at the moment, but they still come with IBM
    support... I purchased a refurbished one (new ones are also relatively
    cheap) and then customized it and have a real machine much cheaper than I
    could build it from scratch... It didn't come with the restore cds but IBM
    overnighted them to me and machine registration and driver/software
    upgrades are still through IBM... IBM recommends you get them from them
    rather than mickeysoft... So far, although I haven't gotton to setting up
    dual boot, I'm a happy camper (hardware wise)... The one I'm replacing
    hasn't quite kicked the bucket yet so I'm still doing my homework before
    messing with the dual boot phase on the new one...

    --
    -bc-

  4. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Bill Clark wrote:

    > Yes and no ... Apparently they sold off that division to a company, the
    > name of which escapes me at the moment,

    Lenovo.

  5. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:33:42 UTC "Bill Clark"
    wrote:

    > Michael DeBusk wrote:
    >
    > > I'm wanting a new PC pretty badly and am liking the deals I see on Dell
    > > computers. Before I put my money down, though, I'd like to hear from
    > > anyone who's had OS/2 experience with a recent Dell PC. Any problems
    > > installing Warp 4.52 or eComStation on one?

    > ebay has some good deals on new and refurbished IBM Thinkcentres...

    I'm a great fan of the Thinkpads but I came across one really bad
    reference point over the weekend. The Air Force Academy issued
    Thinkpad T30's to all the cadets for a few years and they have now
    switched to Dell. I was asking why (other than typical gov't. bidding
    rules) and got an ear full of complaints about relaibility issues with
    the T30 - of the 30 or so cadets in the room, nearly half had
    replacement motherboards in their machines. Several were on their
    second and one gal was on her third motherboard. I had not heard any
    real knock on the T30 until then but this grabbed me. They may be
    using some sort of special build or reman lot but I'll definitely keep
    this in mind when looking at used T30's from now on.

    --
    Will Honea

  6. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Will Honea wrote:
    > On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 17:33:42 UTC "Bill Clark"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Michael DeBusk wrote:
    >>

    >>>I'm wanting a new PC pretty badly and am liking the deals I see on Dell
    >>>computers. Before I put my money down, though, I'd like to hear from
    >>>anyone who's had OS/2 experience with a recent Dell PC. Any problems
    >>>installing Warp 4.52 or eComStation on one?

    >>ebay has some good deals on new and refurbished IBM Thinkcentres...

    > I'm a great fan of the Thinkpads but I came across one really bad
    > reference point over the weekend. The Air Force Academy issued
    > Thinkpad T30's to all the cadets for a few years and they have now
    > switched to Dell. I was asking why (other than typical gov't. bidding
    > rules) and got an ear full of complaints about relaibility issues with
    > the T30 - of the 30 or so cadets in the room, nearly half had
    > replacement motherboards in their machines. Several were on their
    > second and one gal was on her third motherboard. I had not heard any
    > real knock on the T30 until then but this grabbed me. They may be
    > using some sort of special build or reman lot but I'll definitely keep
    > this in mind when looking at used T30's from now on.

    Yes, the T30 has a solder problem on the mother board.
    After a while, they only show the memory in slot 1, not slot 2.
    The fix is to replace the board, -sometimes- twice.
    I haven't seen 3 times myself.

    IBM is not the only one. I have changed a lot of Compaq Evo laptop
    system boards. More then I cared to do. Wasn't a hard job, probable 20
    minutes once I got the hang of it, but still more then I would have
    liked to see. Older Armada 5x00 were another line from Compaq that had
    a high failure.

    Just my 2 cents anyway
    Rich W

  7. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 16:36:08 -0000, Bill Clark
    wrote:

    > > I thought IBM was out of that business.

    > Yes and no ...

    I was wondering if that would be the case.

    > I purchased a refurbished one (new ones are also relatively cheap)
    > and then customized it and have a real machine much cheaper than I
    > could build it from scratch...

    Did you get it from IBM, or from Lenovo, or from somewhere else?

    > I'm a happy camper (hardware wise)...

    Good news.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

  8. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Michael DeBusk wrote:

    > Did you get it from IBM, or from Lenovo, or from somewhere else?

    I got it from ebay... There are people selling these in IBM sealed boxes
    with IBM warrantee and support... If you decide to go this route be sure
    to check with the seller to be sure of what you are getting as some are a
    little fuzzy on the way they word things ... Also there is paypal
    protection on these items...

    --
    -bc-

  9. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 15:12:24 -0000, Bill Clark
    wrote:

    > I got it from ebay...

    I checked eBay last night. As you said, the ones there come with no
    CDs, and that concerned me a little until just now. The prices are
    excellent (though the prices on the Lenovo Web site aren't bad).

    Thanks.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

+ Reply to Thread