Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2? - OS2

This is a discussion on Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2? - OS2 ; On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 06:41:35 GMT, Michael DeBusk wrote: >I'm wanting a new PC pretty badly and am liking the deals I see on Dell >computers. Before I put my money down, though, I'd like to hear from >anyone ...

  1. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 06:41:35 GMT, Michael DeBusk wrote:

    >I'm wanting a new PC pretty badly and am liking the deals I see on Dell
    >computers. Before I put my money down, though, I'd like to hear from
    >anyone who's had OS/2 experience with a recent Dell PC. Any problems
    >installing Warp 4.52 or eComStation on one?

    I installed eCS on a Dell. It works ok except for the sound. I have not
    spent any effort trying out different drivers as I don't really need the
    sound for what I use that machine for. Everything is on an intergrated
    board. The CD, HD, video, & NIC all work. It's a Dimension 3000 and like
    you I couldn't pass up the $400 price.

    BTW, I ordered it w/o a floppy because I have a few laying around.
    Unfortunately, their case requires a special cage, so I could not use my own
    floppy without making a sloppy installation. So I recommend you don't try to
    cut any corners. It wound up costing me slightly more to correct this
    oversight.

    Jon

  2. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:52:29 -0700 (PDT), Jon
    wrote:

    > I installed eCS on a Dell. It works ok except for the sound.

    One of the available options is a Sound Blaster, and I imagine I'll
    take them up on it.

    > I couldn't pass up the $400 price.

    Whew...

    > BTW, I ordered it w/o a floppy because I have a few laying around.
    > Unfortunately, their case requires a special cage, so I could not
    > use my own floppy without making a sloppy installation.

    Hmm... I'm not sure I like this. I wonder what else is "special" in the
    case. I like to upgrade a piece at a time when I want.

    As far as the floppy goes, I did intend to get it with one, as the one
    I have here is showing its age.

    Thanks.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

  3. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Michael DeBusk wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:52:29 -0700 (PDT), Jon
    > wrote:

    [cuts...]

    > Hmm... I'm not sure I like this. I wonder what else is "special" in the
    > case. I like to upgrade a piece at a time when I want.

    I had occasion to service some Dell desktops recently. A high end
    model has moved to SATA hard disks. (I am not up-to-date with the
    device driver for SATA HDs).

    --
    To reply by e-mail edit this address to the correct form: vbien at
    attglobal dot net

  4. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:51:33 +1000, Victor Bien wrote:

    > I had occasion to service some Dell desktops recently. A high end
    > model has moved to SATA hard disks. (I am not up-to-date with the
    > device driver for SATA HDs).

    I'll have to check DANIS506.ADD to make sure it supports these.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

  5. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Michael DeBusk turpitued:
    >On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:51:33 +1000, Victor Bien wrote:
    >
    >> I had occasion to service some Dell desktops recently. A high end
    >> model has moved to SATA hard disks. (I am not up-to-date with the
    >> device driver for SATA HDs).

    >I'll have to check DANIS506.ADD to make sure it supports these.

    I have a relatively recent (< 1 year old) Dell desktop with a SATA
    disk, and I have had absolutely no luck in installing eCS. (Note that
    eCS uses the DANI drivers by default.) However, I have not yet tried
    the option of adding an IDE disk and installing to that.

    Note that this is a desktop machine, not a laptop. The story might
    be different with a laptop.

    One comment I've heard from other people is that Dell hardware is
    not designed to be upgraded. If you want to upgrade it, the method
    is to throw it out and buy a new one.

    On the other hand, the machine does appear to be more powerful.
    The hardware is good, the software (XP Pro) is absolute crap.

    --
    Peter Moylan peter at ee dot newcastle dot edu dot au
    http://eepjm.newcastle.edu.au (OS/2 and eCS information and software)

  6. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 01:52:16 +0000 (UTC), Peter Moylan
    wrote:

    > I have a relatively recent (< 1 year old) Dell desktop with a SATA
    > disk, and I have had absolutely no luck in installing eCS.

    Damn. One against Dell.

    > One comment I've heard from other people is that Dell hardware is
    > not designed to be upgraded. If you want to upgrade it, the method
    > is to throw it out and buy a new one.

    At those prices, I can understand. All the same, though... two against.

    > On the other hand, the machine does appear to be more powerful.
    > The hardware is good, the software (XP Pro) is absolute crap.

    I'm definitely not a Windows fan, regardless of the flavor.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

  7. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Sunday, in article

    m_debusk@despammed.com "Michael DeBusk" wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 22:52:29 -0700 (PDT), Jon
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I installed eCS on a Dell. It works ok except for the sound.

    > One of the available options is a Sound Blaster, and I imagine I'll
    > take them up on it.

    Don't get too optimistic; recent experience has shown me that machines
    that claim to have a SoundBlaster actually have some form of AC97 sound,
    with BIOS settings that permit /some/ SoundBlaster compatible software to
    believe that there is a genuine SoundBlaster present, and to use it.

    However, having recently tried [repeatedly] to put WinXP on such a
    machine, and found it hanging every time, I ended up putting Win98 on it
    and then attempting the WinXP "upgrade" (we have an infinity of M$
    licences available, as a university). Only then was I able to discover
    that WinXP thought the hardware was incompatible because of the SB
    emulation; switching this off in the BIOS allowed me to complete the
    upgrade, and later to perform a full installation /ab initio/.

    I then heard from the previous user of the machine (who'd been running
    SuSE v8.2 on it) that he too had experienced difficulty with the "Sound
    Blaster", and had also switched it off in the BIOS. (The reason it
    wasn't still switched off was that he'd done a "reset to factory
    defaults" before releasing the machine back to the department.)

    Since the XP drivers didn't understand the SoundBlaster emulation, you
    might find that OS/2's don't either; so make very certain that there is a
    /real/ SB present, rather than something that Win95/98/ME/2K (but not XP)
    only understands.

    --
    Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk@dsl.co.uk
    "Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu

  8. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    On Mon, 04 Jul 2005 00:52:09 +0100 (BST), Brian {Hamilton Kelly}
    wrote:

    > Don't get too optimistic; recent experience has shown me that
    > machines that claim to have a SoundBlaster actually have some form
    > of AC97 sound, with BIOS settings that permit /some/ SoundBlaster
    > compatible software to believe that there is a genuine SoundBlaster
    > present, and to use it.

    Unless Dell is pulling a bait-and-switch, the "customize" option offers
    genuine Sound Blaster (Audigy, I think) as an upgrade.

    --
    Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
    Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

  9. Re: Do Dell PCs do OS/2?

    Peter Moylan wrote:
    > Michael DeBusk turpitued:
    >
    >>On Sun, 03 Jul 2005 18:51:33 +1000, Victor Bien wrote:
    >>

    >>> I had occasion to service some Dell desktops recently. A high end
    >>> model has moved to SATA hard disks. (I am not up-to-date with the
    >>> device driver for SATA HDs).

    >>I'll have to check DANIS506.ADD to make sure it supports these.

    > I have a relatively recent (< 1 year old) Dell desktop with a SATA
    > disk, and I have had absolutely no luck in installing eCS. (Note that
    > eCS uses the DANI drivers by default.) However, I have not yet tried
    > the option of adding an IDE disk and installing to that.

    The eCS 1.2 install CD won't work with SATA. You need to put the latest
    DANIS506 on a diskette and do the driver update thing.

+ Reply to Thread