making boot diskettes - OS2

This is a discussion on making boot diskettes - OS2 ; My hard disk has died and I need to install eCS 1.2 on a replacement drive. I cannot boot from CD for some reason (not even when either of my two drives is the sole disk drive in the system!) ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: making boot diskettes

  1. making boot diskettes


    My hard disk has died and I need to install eCS 1.2 on a replacement
    drive. I cannot boot from CD for some reason (not even when either of my
    two drives is the sole disk drive in the system!) so I need to make boot
    diskettes but I don't know which combination of the possible alternatives
    to choose. Where do I start?

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  2. Re: making boot diskettes

    Pierre Jelenc asked:

    > I cannot boot from CD for some reason (not even when either of my
    > two drives is the sole disk drive in the system!)


    How does this 'cannot boot' turns up? -- error messages?

    > so I need to make boot
    > diskettes but I don't know which combination of the possible alternatives
    > to choose. Where do I start?


    CD1, makedisk.cmd/bat. Choose the menu floppy set.

    --
    Veit Kannegieser

  3. Re: making boot diskettes

    Veit Kannegieser writes:
    >
    > How does this 'cannot boot' turns up? -- error messages?


    after the initial boot sequence I see

    Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS
    ENTER

    And it keeps doing that no matter what disk is in there.

    (Note that it used to work when I got the PC originally; I think it last
    worked about a year ago.)

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  4. Re: making boot diskettes

    Sir:

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Veit Kannegieser writes:
    >> How does this 'cannot boot' turns up? -- error messages?

    >
    > after the initial boot sequence I see
    >
    > Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS
    > ENTER
    >
    > And it keeps doing that no matter what disk is in there.
    >
    > (Note that it used to work when I got the PC originally; I think it last
    > worked about a year ago.)
    >
    > Pierre

    They make CD cleaning disk to remove dust and lint that get inside.
    Maybe you need to use one of them. Or else the drive is failing and you
    need to update to the latest DVD burner like LG GSA4163B that I just
    purchased.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  5. Re: making boot diskettes

    William L. Hartzell writes:
    > They make CD cleaning disk to remove dust and lint that get inside.
    > Maybe you need to use one of them. Or else the drive is failing and you
    > need to update to the latest DVD burner like LG GSA4163B that I just
    > purchased.


    Well, something's wrong with the CD drive. I borrowed a drive from a
    friend and now I can boot from CD with eCS 1.0, 1.1, and Linux Knoppix.
    But NOT from eCS 1.2!

    Is there a way to force it to do so? Or is the CD damaged? It looks OK,
    i.e. no cracks or scratches. Is there a way to check it while beeing
    booted in eCS 1.1 from the CD?

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  6. Re: making boot diskettes



    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > My hard disk has died and I need to install eCS 1.2 on a replacement
    > drive. I cannot boot from CD for some reason (not even when either of my
    > two drives is the sole disk drive in the system!) so I need to make boot
    > diskettes but I don't know which combination of the possible alternatives
    > to choose. Where do I start?



    get yourself a copy of a true IBM OS/2 Warp 4.52 and from there you'll
    be able to make the Boot from diskettes needed to your case.

    If you got problems with your CD rom than borrow some friends one and
    you'll be in business.

    Anyway you should RTFM as it texplain very clearly what to do.

    if not post your problems in:

    news.ecomstatiom.com

    that's where you belong.

    au revoir messieur!

  7. Re: making boot diskettes

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell writes:
    >
    >>They make CD cleaning disk to remove dust and lint that get inside.
    >>Maybe you need to use one of them. Or else the drive is failing and you
    >>need to update to the latest DVD burner like LG GSA4163B that I just
    >>purchased.

    >
    >
    > Well, something's wrong with the CD drive. I borrowed a drive from a
    > friend and now I can boot from CD with eCS 1.0, 1.1, and Linux Knoppix.
    > But NOT from eCS 1.2!
    >
    > Is there a way to force it to do so? Or is the CD damaged? It looks OK,
    > i.e. no cracks or scratches. Is there a way to check it while beeing
    > booted in eCS 1.1 from the CD?


    1.1 and 1.2 use a similar boot-mechanism, so it may have something to
    do with corrupt media or corrupt data on the media.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  8. Re: making boot diskettes

    Mr.C wrote:

    >
    > if not post your problems in:
    >
    > news.ecomstatiom.com
    >
    > that's where you belong.


    Or right here in the eComStation newsgroup.

    > au revoir messieur!


    Along those lines, have you managed to unsquare the circle by getting a
    response from Digi? Please post it, as that company was a reference you
    provided.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  9. Re: making boot diskettes

    Bob St.John wrote:
    > Mr.C wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> if not post your problems in:
    >>
    >> news.ecomstatiom.com
    >>
    >> that's where you belong.

    >
    > Or right here in the eComStation newsgroup.


    These are the *OS/2* newsgroups. eComStation has
    a publicly accessible established newsgroup located
    at news.ecomstation.nl. There are also several well
    controlled well monitored "members only" Yahoo Groups
    set up just for eCS.

    If the handful of eCS Lusers want their own newsgroup
    they should establish one as comp.os.ecomstation
    and get out of the OS/2 newsgroups.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com

  10. Re: making boot diskettes

    Sir:

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > William L. Hartzell writes:
    >> They make CD cleaning disk to remove dust and lint that get inside.
    >> Maybe you need to use one of them. Or else the drive is failing and you
    >> need to update to the latest DVD burner like LG GSA4163B that I just
    >> purchased.

    >
    > Well, something's wrong with the CD drive. I borrowed a drive from a
    > friend and now I can boot from CD with eCS 1.0, 1.1, and Linux Knoppix.
    > But NOT from eCS 1.2!
    >
    > Is there a way to force it to do so? Or is the CD damaged? It looks OK,
    > i.e. no cracks or scratches. Is there a way to check it while beeing
    > booted in eCS 1.1 from the CD?
    >


    Can you read the data that is on that disk, eg. pull an ISO image of it?
    You'd use Chris's CD Writing Utilities,aka Audio/Data CD Creator, its
    1-1 CD copy program to grab an img file. If you can pull an image file,
    then there is nothing wrong with media.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  11. Re: making boot diskettes


    >
    > Well, something's wrong with the CD drive. I borrowed a drive from a
    > friend and now I can boot from CD with eCS 1.0, 1.1, and Linux Knoppix.
    > But NOT from eCS 1.2!
    >
    > Is there a way to force it to do so? Or is the CD damaged? It looks OK,
    > i.e. no cracks or scratches. Is there a way to check it while beeing
    > booted in eCS 1.1 from the CD?
    >
    > Pierre


    You say you can't boot from the eCS 1.2 disk. Can you be more specific?
    Are you saying it does not see the eCS 1.2 disk to boot or is it
    stopping at some error during the bootup process and if so what error?

    David

  12. Re: making boot diskettes

    David Graser writes:
    >
    > You say you can't boot from the eCS 1.2 disk. Can you be more specific?
    > Are you saying it does not see the eCS 1.2 disk to boot or is it
    > stopping at some error during the bootup process and if so what error?


    It never starts the booting process at all: when it checks the CD drive I
    get the same message I mentioned earlier:

    Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
    PRESS ENTER

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  13. Re: making boot diskettes

    On Tuesday, in article <42b8e8e5_4@news3.prserv.net>
    OS2Guy@Gmail.com "The OS/2 Guy" wrote:

    > These are the *OS/2* newsgroups. eComStation has
    > a publicly accessible established newsgroup located
    > at news.ecomstation.nl. There are also several well
    > controlled well monitored "members only" Yahoo Groups
    > set up just for eCS.
    >
    > If the handful of eCS Lusers want their own newsgroup
    > they should establish one as comp.os.ecomstation
    > and get out of the OS/2 newsgroups.


    Obviously your multifarious talents do not stretch to comprehension of
    simple English. Herewith a copy of the control message which caused this
    newsgroup, comp.os.os2.ecomstation, to be carried on a hundred thousand
    or more news servers around the planet.

    comp.os.os2.ecomstation is an unmoderated newsgroup which passed its vote for
    creation by 175:20 as reported in news.announce.newgroups on 25 Sep 2004.

    For your newsgroups file:
    comp.os.os2.ecomstation Serenity Systems operating system eComStation.

    comp.os.os2.ecomstation is an unmoderated newsgroup for discussion of
    the eComStation operating system and related technologies.

    Appropriate discussion in the group will involve eComStation and other
    eComStation-related products (including Serenity Virtual Station.)

    Some examples of topics that should be posted to
    comp.os.os2.ecomstation:

    - General questions regarding the installation and operation of eComStation
    - Questions regarding eComStation specific programming
    - Discussion of eComStation related technologies
    - Questions regarding application software and hardware support
    - eComStation user advocacy and debate

    Posting guidelines:

    1) Posts must be related to the discussion of eComStation, which includes
    all the modern aspects of operating eComStation as well as related
    topics, but excludes general OS/2 topics, unless a direct relevance to
    eComStation can be made explicit. Topics which are relevant to the
    broader audience of OS/2 users may be better received in the
    appropriate general category OS/2 group. Original and interesting
    criticism of eComStation is welcome.

    2) Posts should not be made if they contain personal attacks, incitement
    to retribution (i.e. flames and obvious trolling), or general
    hostility.

    Clearly inappropriate postings include:
    (1) Personal attacks;
    (2) Discussion that isn't about or related to eComStation
    (3) Multiple messages that all say the same or very similar things; and
    (4) Overly speculative postings and postings that are "not even wrong."

    3) Posts may include links to websites or personal pages that contain
    relevant and on-topic information about eComStation.

    4) Posting of binary files is prohibited. Short segments of source code or
    quotes from papers may be posted; however, large projects and complete
    papers should be archived elsewhere, and a link to the download site
    included in the post.

    It's quite obvious that YOU are the one who is failing to understand that
    comp.os.os2.ecomstation is NOT "an OS/2 newsgroup", and that traffic
    concerning eComStation is most decidedly the ONLY content that should
    appear here.

    So **** off and die, you syphilitic cunt.

    --
    Brian {Hamilton Kelly} bhk@dsl.co.uk
    "Je n'ai fait celle-ci plus longue que parce que je n'ai pas eu
    le loisir de la faire plus courte."
    Blaise Pascal, /Lettres Provinciales/, 1657

  14. Re: making boot diskettes

    In , on 06/22/2005
    at 08:45 PM, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) said:

    >It never starts the booting process at all: when it checks the CD
    >drive I get the same message I mentioned earlier:


    > Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM: DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND
    > PRESS ENTER


    That sounds like a BIOS issue. Have you ever been able to boot fron
    eCS 1.2 disk 1? Have you tried disk 2?

    In the worst case you can cut a set of boot floppies, which is
    documented in the eCS manual.

    --
    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz, SysProg and JOAT

    Unsolicited bulk E-mail subject to legal action. I reserve the
    right to publicly post or ridicule any abusive E-mail. Reply to
    domain Patriot dot net user shmuel+news to contact me. Do not
    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org


  15. Re: making boot diskettes

    In article <20050622.2105.60328snz@dsl.co.uk>,
    bhk@dsl.co.uk (Brian {Hamilton Kelly}) wrote:

    > On Tuesday, in article <42b8e8e5_4@news3.prserv.net>
    > OS2Guy@Gmail.com "The OS/2 Guy" wrote:
    >
    > > These are the *OS/2* newsgroups. eComStation has
    > > a publicly accessible established newsgroup located
    > > at news.ecomstation.nl. There are also several well
    > > controlled well monitored "members only" Yahoo Groups
    > > set up just for eCS.
    > >
    > > If the handful of eCS Lusers want their own newsgroup
    > > they should establish one as comp.os.ecomstation
    > > and get out of the OS/2 newsgroups.

    >
    > Obviously your multifarious talents do not stretch to comprehension of
    > simple English. Herewith a copy of the control message which caused this
    > newsgroup, comp.os.os2.ecomstation, to be carried on a hundred thousand
    > or more news servers around the planet.


    Larry's multifarious talents include lying. Period.

    He lies about who he is, he lies about OS/2, he lies about eCS.

    Dan

  16. Re: making boot diskettes

    Brian {Hamilton Kelly} wrote:
    > On Tuesday, in article <42b8e8e5_4@news3.prserv.net>
    > OS2Guy@Gmail.com "The OS/2 Guy" wrote:
    >
    >>These are the *OS/2* newsgroups. eComStation has
    >>a publicly accessible established newsgroup located
    >>at news.ecomstation.nl. There are also several well
    >>controlled well monitored "members only" Yahoo Groups
    >>set up just for eCS.
    >>
    >>If the handful of eCS Lusers want their own newsgroup
    >>they should establish one as comp.os.ecomstation
    >>and get out of the OS/2 newsgroups.

    >
    > Obviously your multifarious talents do not stretch to comprehension of
    > simple English.


    You're missing the point numbnuts. *THESE* are the OS/2
    newsgroups. eCS *is not* OS/2. eCS simply *uses* OS/2
    as a base operating system.

    If *you* and the other "syphilitic cunts" want an ecomstation
    newsgroup you have two options: use the one created
    for ecomstation at news.ecomstation.nl or create your
    own comp.os.ecomstation.

    Now take a hike.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com

  17. Re: making boot diskettes

    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz writes:
    >
    > That sounds like a BIOS issue. Have you ever been able to boot fron
    > eCS 1.2 disk 1? Have you tried disk 2?


    Never tried to boot from 1.2 before now, but 1.0 and 1.1 boot OK. I did
    not know disk 2 was bootable as well, I'll try that (but I have to fix a
    fan first.)

    Disk 1 does not boot on a friend's machine either, which boots various
    flavors of Windows successfully.

    > In the worst case you can cut a set of boot floppies, which is
    > documented in the eCS manual.


    But why would it not boot since it's supposed to use the same method as
    1.1, which works fine?

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  18. [FUD4] Re: making boot diskettes

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:08:57 UTC, The OS/2 Guy
    wrote:

    > If *you* ... want an ecomstation
    > newsgroup you have two options: use the one created
    > for ecomstation at news.ecomstation.nl or create your
    > own comp.os.ecomstation.


    Or we could use comp.os.os2.ecomstation.

    Ian

    --


  19. Re: making boot diskettes

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:08:57 UTC, The OS/2 Guy
    > wrote:
    >
    >>If *you* ... want an ecomstation
    >>newsgroup you have two options: use the one created
    >>for ecomstation at news.ecomstation.nl or create your
    >>own comp.os.ecomstation.

    >
    > Or we could use comp.os.os2.ecomstation.


    Then it will remain a trashed newsgroup of little to
    no consequence. You won't want to even point
    potential eCS consumers to it because we'll tell
    them the truth about eCS - the truth you and the
    other eCS investors don't want revealed.

    You *have* the opportunity and ability to create
    your own publicly accessible ecomstation-only
    newsgroup: alt.ecomstation. You've
    encroached on the OS/2 community for no good
    reason other then your sick determination to
    convince the world eCS is 'the future of OS/2'.
    We all know that claim is a pathetic joke.
    Think of it as an illegal immigrant trying to
    push you out of your own home through the
    back door. You'd do everything within your
    power, including exposing them as illegal
    trespassers, to keep them out. And that's
    exactly what the *real* OS/2 community will
    continue to do. We're not asking for much,
    we just want you to leave us and our OS/2
    community alone.

    Now please, move on to news.ecomstation.nl
    or the eCS Yahoo Groups because you've
    certainly overstayed your welcome here.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com

  20. Re: making boot diskettes

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:08:57 -0400 in comp.os.os2.ecomstation,
    The OS/2 Guy spake unto us, saying:

    > You're missing the point numbnuts. *THESE* are the OS/2
    > newsgroups. eCS *is not* OS/2. eCS simply *uses* OS/2
    > as a base operating system.


    You had your chance to protest the creation of this newsgroup, and you
    lost. The majority of the voters involved in the election wanted this
    newsgroup to be created, so the group was created.

    There isn't much else to say, really.

    The discussion of eComStation is on-topic here according to the group
    charter. Other OS/2 topics are handled in other newsgroups. If you do
    not wish to discuss eCS, then don't participate in this newsgroup.

    --
    -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA
    OS/2 + eCS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
    WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it!
    The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast