making boot diskettes - OS2

This is a discussion on making boot diskettes - OS2 ; In , on 06/23/2005 at 06:35 PM, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) said: >But why would it not boot since it's supposed to use the same method >as 1.1, which works fine? There re two different formats for a bootable CD, and ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

  1. Re: making boot diskettes

    In , on 06/23/2005
    at 06:35 PM, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) said:

    >But why would it not boot since it's supposed to use the same method
    >as 1.1, which works fine?

    There re two different formats for a bootable CD, and your BIOS might
    not support the newer one. Appendix E of the eCS manual also talks
    about a timing problem as a possibility.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  2. [FUD4]Re: making boot diskettes

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:07:14 UTC, The OS/2 Guy
    wrote:

    > Now please, move on to news.ecomstation.nl
    > or the eCS Yahoo Groups because you've
    > certainly overstayed your welcome here.

    eComStation is wonderful. It was by far the cheapest way for me to
    upgrade from Warp 4 to the latest version. Support - what little I
    have needed - has been consistently fast, effective and friendly. I'm
    delighted with it.

    Ian "Just a happy customer" J

  3. Re: [FUD4] The Troll unmasked. [Was: making boot diskettes]

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 05:45:55 UTC, Richard Steiner
    wrote:

    -> You had your chance to protest the creation of this newsgroup, and you
    -> lost. The majority of the voters involved in the election wanted this
    -> newsgroup to be created, so the group was created.
    ->

    The troll did protest, but of course being a troll he used a fake
    identity (a couple actually, Hudson Johns (which he used before as
    John S Hudson, but the nitwit got confused I guess) and as Liam
    Kennedy, both posting from the same ISP), so when it was unmasked he
    scurried back under the rock he came out from under.

    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...rm/thread/5c0b
    65413c7a47ff/ddb933599c1442a5?q=%2Bnews.groups+%2Bcomp.os.os2.e comstat
    ion+%2BJohns&rnum=1&hl=en#ddb933599c1442a5

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Hershey, PA, Oct 6-9, 2005 - http://www.warpstock.org

  4. Re: making boot diskettes

    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz writes:
    > In , on 06/23/2005
    > at 06:35 PM, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) said:
    >
    > >But why would it not boot since it's supposed to use the same method
    > >as 1.1, which works fine?

    > There re two different formats for a bootable CD, and your BIOS might
    > not support the newer one. Appendix E of the eCS manual also talks
    > about a timing problem as a possibility.

    Right, but 1.1 and 1.2 use the *same* method, whatever that is.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  5. Re: making boot diskettes

    William L. Hartzell writes:

    > Can you read the data that is on that disk, eg. pull an ISO image of it?
    > You'd use Chris's CD Writing Utilities,aka Audio/Data CD Creator, its
    > 1-1 CD copy program to grab an img file. If you can pull an image file,
    > then there is nothing wrong with media.

    There is no OS installed, the hard disk is blank, so I can't do that, but
    booting from the Knoppix or the eCS 1.1 CD I can see the files in both 1.2
    CDs.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  6. Re: making boot diskettes

    Pierre Jelenc writes:

    > There is no OS installed, the hard disk is blank, so I can't do that, but
    > booting from the Knoppix or the eCS 1.1 CD I can see the files in both 1.2
    > CDs.

    And I can't figure out how to make boot diskettes: there does not seem to
    be a way to boot eCS 1.1 to a command line from the CD, it just wants to
    install itself. I have an old DOS diskette, but there's no CD support.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  7. Re: making boot diskettes

    Richard Steiner wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:08:57 -0400 in comp.os.os2.ecomstation,
    > The OS/2 Guy spake unto us, saying:
    >
    >>You're missing the point numbnuts. *THESE* are the OS/2
    >>newsgroups. eCS *is not* OS/2. eCS simply *uses* OS/2
    >>as a base operating system.

    > You had your chance to protest the creation of this newsgroup, and you
    > lost. The majority of the voters involved in the election wanted this
    > newsgroup to be created, so the group was created.

    Everyone here knows the newsgroup was forced on the OS/2
    community through fraud voting. During the voting period, eCS
    salesmen illegally sought out non-OS/2 users to vote on behalf
    of eCS in an effort to destroy OS/2. The Yahoo Groups were
    cited many times for illegally promoting the fraudulent pandering
    for illegal votes.

    > There isn't much else to say, really.

    Actually there is. Your response only helps the OS/2 community
    reveal the truth about eCS and makes sure any new potential
    eCS customers are alerted to the falsehoods and the scam of
    eComStation. We thank you for that.

    > The discussion of eComStation is on-topic here according to the group
    > charter. Other OS/2 topics are handled in other newsgroups. If you do
    > not wish to discuss eCS, then don't participate in this newsgroup.

    eCS discussions belong in the publicly accessible eCS newsgroup
    established specifically for eComStation: news.ecomstation.nl.

    If you want an eCS newsgroup then you have every opportunity
    and right to establish such a group as alt.ecomstation.

    This newsgroup will never belong to eComStation but it will be
    a newsgroup for revealing the truth about the scam known
    as eComStation and those who work to destroy OS/2.

    Thanks for your assistance and efforts.

  8. Re: The Liar Dodie unmasked. [Was: making boot diskettes]

    Mark Dodel wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 05:45:55 UTC, Richard Steiner
    > wrote:
    >
    > -> You had your chance to protest the creation of this newsgroup, and you
    > -> lost. The majority of the voters involved in the election wanted this
    > -> newsgroup to be created, so the group was created.
    >
    > The troll did protest, but of course being a troll he used a fake
    > identity (a couple actually, Hudson Johns (which he used before as
    > John S Hudson, but the nitwit got confused I guess) and as Liam
    > Kennedy, both posting from the same ISP), so when it was unmasked he
    > scurried back under the rock he came out from under.
    >
    > http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...rm/thread/5c0b
    > 65413c7a47ff/ddb933599c1442a5?q=%2Bnews.groups+%2Bcomp.os.os2.e comstat
    > ion+%2BJohns&rnum=1&hl=en#ddb933599c1442a5

    The truth here: the so-called 'fake' account above was created
    by an eCS Luser and has no ties whatsoever to me or any other
    OS/2 user. Nor has anyone anywhere ever proven differently.
    Dodie Dodel's claim is a complete and utter falsehood. When
    the fake account was traced back to the true owner, that owner
    turned out to be a familiar eCS salesmen posting complaints
    about eCS in hopes of raising more non-OS/2 votes for eCS.

  9. Re: making boot diskettes

    Ian Johnston wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:07:14 UTC, The OS/2 Guy
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Now please, move on to news.ecomstation.nl
    >>or the eCS Yahoo Groups because you've
    >>certainly overstayed your welcome here.

    > eComStation is wonderful. It was by far the cheapest way for me to
    > upgrade from Warp 4 to the latest version. Support - what little I
    > have needed - has been consistently fast, effective and friendly. I'm
    > delighted with it.
    >
    > Ian "Just a happy customer" J

    Then why not take your phony propaganda to the place where it
    belongs and quit harassing the OS/2 community?

    Please move to news.ecomstation.nl or create your own
    alt.ecomstation newsgroup and leave the OS/2 community
    alone.

    Thank you.

  10. Re: making boot diskettes

    Sir:

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Pierre Jelenc writes:
    >> There is no OS installed, the hard disk is blank, so I can't do that, but
    >> booting from the Knoppix or the eCS 1.1 CD I can see the files in both 1.2
    >> CDs.

    > And I can't figure out how to make boot diskettes: there does not seem to
    > be a way to boot eCS 1.1 to a command line from the CD, it just wants to
    > install itself. I have an old DOS diskette, but there's no CD support.

    Why not install eCS 1.1 and then use it to install eCS 1.2? It seems
    that you have a driver issue.
    --
    Bill
    Thanks a Million!

  11. Re: making boot diskettes

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > Ian Johnston wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 02:07:14 UTC, The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now please, move on to news.ecomstation.nl
    >>> or the eCS Yahoo Groups because you've
    >>> certainly overstayed your welcome here.

    >> eComStation is wonderful. It was by far the cheapest way for me to
    >> upgrade from Warp 4 to the latest version. Support - what little I
    >> have needed - has been consistently fast, effective and friendly. I'm
    >> delighted with it.
    >>
    >> Ian "Just a happy customer" J

    > Then why not take your phony propaganda to the place where it
    > belongs and quit harassing the OS/2 community?
    >
    > Please move to news.ecomstation.nl or create your own
    > alt.ecomstation newsgroup and leave the OS/2 community
    > alone.

    Well Larry, you ****ing moron, since this *is* the eCS newsgroup, why
    don't YOU go away!

    The eCS Guy

  12. Re: making boot diskettes

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > Pierre Jelenc writes:
    >
    >>There is no OS installed, the hard disk is blank, so I can't do that, but
    >>booting from the Knoppix or the eCS 1.1 CD I can see the files in both 1.2
    >>CDs.

    > And I can't figure out how to make boot diskettes: there does not seem to
    > be a way to boot eCS 1.1 to a command line from the CD, it just wants to
    > install itself. I have an old DOS diskette, but there's no CD support.
    >
    > Pierre

    You can open a maintenance CMD console from within eCS installer, in
    some menus before you get to the place where one enters reg code.

    Cheers,
    Martin

  13. Re: making boot diskettes

    MMI writes:

    > You can open a maintenance CMD console from within eCS installer, in
    > some menus before you get to the place where one enters reg code.

    I can't even get that far. When it asks me to chose a volume to install
    in, there is nothing in the window.

    Can someone walk me through the paces to install on a blank hard drive? I
    need 2 eCS partitions (normal and backup), one main data partition, one
    temp/swap partition, and boot manager. How do I do that considering the CD
    that boots is 1.1 but I eventually will want to install 1.2?

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  14. Re: making boot diskettes

    Pierre Jelenc wrote:
    > MMI writes:
    >
    >>You can open a maintenance CMD console from within eCS installer, in
    >>some menus before you get to the place where one enters reg code.

    > I can't even get that far.

    Are you sure? After eCS 1.1 CD is booted, you get "Begin the
    installation" screen with the lang, kbd and font settings. After
    pressing NEXT, you get agree with the EULA, and after agreeing, you
    should get to the "Select the installation type" screen. There, check
    the "Management console" checkbox and press NEXT, you should get to the
    menu bar "eComStation Command Drives Edit" at the top of the screen. In
    "Commands" choose either eCS Window or eCS Fullscreen and there you go -
    CMD.EXE runs.

    Cheers,
    Martin

    > When it asks me to chose a volume to install
    > in, there is nothing in the window.
    >

    > Can someone walk me through the paces to install on a blank hard drive? I
    > need 2 eCS partitions (normal and backup), one main data partition, one
    > temp/swap partition, and boot manager. How do I do that considering the CD
    > that boots is 1.1 but I eventually will want to install 1.2?
    >
    > Pierre

  15. Re: making boot diskettes

    MMI writes:

    > the "Management console" checkbox and press NEXT, you should get to the
    > menu bar "eComStation Command Drives Edit" at the top of the screen.

    Aha. Management console means command line! Who thinks these things up?

    So now I think that my 1.2 disk is indeed bad: I booted 1.1 to the
    "management console", switched the disk to the 1.2 one and typed
    makedisk.cmd. Nothing happens, I get the command line again immediately.
    I examined the file with TEDIT, and it appears empty, even though DIR
    tells me it has 6285 bytes! The .BAT and FAQ.TXT also appear empty despite
    having non-zero length in the DIR listing.

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  16. Re: making boot diskettes

    In , on 06/26/2005
    at 03:01 PM, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) said:

    >I can't even get that far. When it asks me to chose a volume to
    >install in, there is nothing in the window.

    Did you read the appendix on LVM?

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  17. Re: making boot diskettes

    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz writes:
    > In , on 06/26/2005
    > at 03:01 PM, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) said:
    >
    > >I can't even get that far. When it asks me to chose a volume to
    > >install in, there is nothing in the window.

    > Did you read the appendix on LVM?

    Yes, but how do I use it? Remember, I can't boot from the CD, and I can't
    make diskettes.

    Plus I'm now convinced the CD is bad (and perhaps so is #2, if it's
    supposed to be bootable.)

    Pierre
    --
    Pierre Jelenc | New on Home Office Records: Ethan Lipton
    | www.homeofficerecords.com www.ethanlipton.com
    The Gigometer | Pepper Of The Earth: the HO blog
    www.gigometer.com | www.homeofficerecords.com/blog

  18. Re: making boot diskettes

    In , on 06/28/2005
    at 07:51 PM, rcpj@panix.com (Pierre Jelenc) said:

    >Yes, but how do I use it? Remember, I can't boot from the CD, and I
    >can't make diskettes.

    You don't have another machine that you can cut the floppies on, and
    don't know anyone that will let you use theirs? All that you need is a
    DOS prompt on a machine with a CD drive and a floppy drive.

    >Plus I'm now convinced the CD is bad (and perhaps so is #2, if it's
    >supposed to be bootable.)

    I couldn't find the bit about disk 2 in the manual, so I may have been
    confusing eCS with SuSE in re disk 2. Have you tried browsing the text
    files on another machine?

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

  19. Re: making boot diskettes

    Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz writes:

    > Have you tried browsing the text files on another machine?

    The only machine I have with a CD drive is the Mac laptop I'm using now,
    and it can't read the disk.

    Pierre