IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates... - OS2

This is a discussion on IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates... - OS2 ; IBM released two new important updates recently for the OS/2 operating system, available to Passport Advantage subscribers. They are: OS/2 Power Management SpeedStep and Enhanced SpeedStep Technology This software package provides IBM's most current support for: - Intel's SpeedStep technology ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 95

Thread: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

  1. IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    IBM released two new important updates recently
    for the OS/2 operating system, available to
    Passport Advantage subscribers. They are:

    OS/2 Power Management
    SpeedStep and Enhanced SpeedStep Technology

    This software package provides IBM's most current support for:
    - Intel's SpeedStep technology for IBM ThinkPad T2x and T30 systems
    - Intel's Enhanced SpeedStep technology for IBM ThinkPad T4x systems

    and

    OS/2 Enhanced IDE Support v5.0.1 released May 25, 2005

    Again, these items are now available for download and
    immediate installation if you have access to them.

    As usual (and expected) there is no mention of the
    availability of these new releases at ecomstation.com.
    This is, of course, because they won't work "as downloaded"
    under eCS until they are incorporated, tested, retested, and
    an updated Maintenance Tool can be generated to get
    them installed.

    *Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com

  2. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    > *Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    > course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    > advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.


    Gee .. thanks, but these were uploaded to the eComStation site days ago.
    The eComStation Maintenence Tool has been updated to make the download
    and install of the updates automatic. Chuck McKinnis does a great job on
    these things

    Chuck is also very helpful as he explains whats new and changed in the
    updates. So, would you please tell us exactly what has been updated and
    what is the effect and importance to the user? Which users should apply
    these updates and why? Or did you just dash out to make some noise?

    That's one of the benefits and advantages available to eComStation
    users. "*real* OS/2 users" get assaulted with "noise" from you. Now,
    please go .. look into the updates and come back when you can provide
    meaningful information about them.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  3. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    Bob StJohn wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >
    >> *Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    >> course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    >> advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.

    >
    >
    > Gee .. thanks, but these were uploaded to the eComStation site days ago.
    > The eComStation Maintenence Tool has been updated to make the download
    > and install of the updates automatic. Chuck McKinnis does a great job on
    > these things
    >
    > Chuck is also very helpful as he explains whats new and changed in the
    > updates. So, would you please tell us exactly what has been updated and
    > what is the effect and importance to the user? Which users should apply
    > these updates and why? Or did you just dash out to make some noise?
    >


    Hey Bob,

    I think I emailed Chuck in the past that the new IBM Speedstep drivers
    don't seem to work right with older Thinkpads. You know anything about that?

    --
    M Greene Voice Memeber #1356 (ICQ:319474014)

    IRC (MikeG):
    irc.va.webbnet.info #os/2 #learnc++ #os/2warp irc.ecomstation.com #eCS

    OS/2 Stuff : http://members.cox.net/greenemk/os2/
    My OpenWatcom : http://members.cox.net/mikeos2/

  4. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    Bob StJohn wrote:
    > The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >
    >> *Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    >> course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    >> advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.

    >
    >
    > Gee .. thanks, but these were uploaded to the eComStation site days ago.


    Then you should list them as being available. You don't. Typical.

    --
    Dr. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com

  5. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    the excitement I get from updating my ide driver makes me so glad
    that I'm a "*real*" OS/2 user.
    *whew!* thanks for making my day

    best regards,
    - dink

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:04:45 -0400, The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    :*Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    :course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    :advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.
    :
    :--
    r. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    :Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    :email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com




  6. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    In <429fb523$0$965$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net>, on 06/02/2005
    at 08:38 PM, Bob Stjohn said:

    >The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    >> *Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    >> course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    >> advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.


    >Gee .. thanks, but these were uploaded to the eComStation site days ago.
    >The eComStation Maintenence Tool has been updated to make the download
    >and install of the updates automatic. Chuck McKinnis does a great job on
    >these things


    FACT: You're relying on a freeware author to keep your one-man show
    working -- and you have been since your buddy,
    kimmy-its-all-the-fault-of-IBM ran off. Probably because he wasn't being
    paid, or was here on a green card that expired. You probably conned him to
    work for you in the first place. Or you conned your former Calif partner;
    YING HE to invest by hiring Kimmy.

    Bottom line: Anyone or any company who has to rely on freeware
    programmers to keep the product working, is out of business. You're out
    of business booby. Stop the con game today.





















    >Chuck is also very helpful as he explains whats new and changed in the
    >updates. So, would you please tell us exactly what has been updated and
    >what is the effect and importance to the user? Which users should apply
    >these updates and why? Or did you just dash out to make some noise?


    >That's one of the benefits and advantages available to eComStation
    >users. "*real* OS/2 users" get assaulted with "noise" from you. Now,
    >please go .. look into the updates and come back when you can provide
    >meaningful information about them.


    >Regards,
    >Bob St.John
    >Serenity Systems International



  7. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:28:14 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:



    >Bottom line: Anyone or any company who has to rely on freeware
    >programmers to keep the product working, is out of business.


    Linux seems to be doing just fine on that business model ;-)

    Won't happen of course, but maybe OS/2 would get a new lease of life
    if IBM open sourced it...

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores
    I am the history within'

  8. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:58:59 UTC, Mike Ross wrote:

    >
    > >Bottom line: Anyone or any company who has to rely on freeware
    > >programmers to keep the product working, is out of business.

    >
    > Linux seems to be doing just fine on that business model ;-)


    apples >< pears ;-)

    Linux is Open Source and you are able to download it for free.

    regards
    --
    Frank Wochatz

  9. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    In <1117796251.a61ab155195217eb08d96e86853cf9d0@terane ws>, on 06/03/2005
    at 06:58 AM, Mike Ross said:

    >On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:28:14 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:


    >


    >>Bottom line: Anyone or any company who has to rely on freeware
    >>programmers to keep the product working, is out of business.


    >Linux seems to be doing just fine on that business model ;-)


    Wrong. Its has not replaced or displaced M$. It also started as
    shareware/freeware. ecs was never free. Furthermore, linux software is
    not even selling enough to make it worth the development cost; example
    DB2. ecs is bigger flop. booby can't afford even hire one programmer, he
    has a commercial product that is clearly a failed business when he needs
    freeware programmers to make essential parts of the system.

    Now stop the bull**** posts and take your ecs shilling and trolling
    somewhere else. I suggest the ecs newsgroup.



    >Won't happen of course, but maybe OS/2 would get a new lease of life if
    >IBM open sourced it...


    >Mike
    >--
    >http://www.corestore.org
    >'As I walk along these shores
    >I am the history within'



  10. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:58:59 UTC, Mike Ross wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:28:14 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > >Bottom line: Anyone or any company who has to rely on freeware
    > >programmers to keep the product working, is out of business.

    >
    > Linux seems to be doing just fine on that business model ;-)
    >
    > Won't happen of course, but maybe OS/2 would get a new lease of life
    > if IBM open sourced it...


    Which they couldn't do even if they wanted to, sinbce M$ have rights to
    chunks of it, I believe...

    Linux...a jumped up UNIX wannabe...! I use FreeBSD....when I need a
    UNIX-like system!

    --
    Bob Eager



  11. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:51:38 UTC, "Bob Eager"
    wrote:

    ->
    -> Which they couldn't do even if they wanted to, sinbce M$ have rights to
    -> chunks of it, I believe...
    ->

    They do, but what I have heard is that m$ could care less. If that
    were the only issue it probably would have been done by now. IBM
    actually looked into this. The problem is all the other companies
    that had copyrighted material in OS/2. Many or most of which may not
    even exist any more. IBM just didn't/doesn't want to spend the money
    to track all of those people down to get permission. Its all about
    the lawyers.

    Mark

    --
    From the eComStation of Mark Dodel

    http://www.os2voice.org
    Warpstock 2005, Hershey, PA, Oct 6-9, 2005 - http://www.warpstock.org

  12. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    The real excitement you should get comes from the fact that
    those damn IBM people continue to offer updates to the OS/2
    operating system despite those who have claimed IBM
    doesn't want anyone to use it.

    z! could use an update Dink.

    dinkmeister wrote:
    > the excitement I get from updating my ide driver makes me so glad
    > that I'm a "*real*" OS/2 user.
    > *whew!* thanks for making my day
    >
    > best regards,
    > - dink
    >
    > On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:04:45 -0400, The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >
    > :*Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    > :course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    > :advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.
    > :
    > :--
    > r. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    > :Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    > :email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com


  13. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:14:20 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    >In <1117796251.a61ab155195217eb08d96e86853cf9d0@terane ws>, on 06/03/2005
    > at 06:58 AM, Mike Ross said:
    >
    >>On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:28:14 GMT, letoured@nospam.net wrote:

    >
    >>

    >
    >>>Bottom line: Anyone or any company who has to rely on freeware
    >>>programmers to keep the product working, is out of business.

    >
    >>Linux seems to be doing just fine on that business model ;-)

    >
    >Wrong. Its has not replaced or displaced M$.


    I never said it did. I'm just saying it's doing reasonable well, it's
    not 'out of business'. If you want a specific example of an
    open-source freeware program that IS kicking M$ fat ass... Apache.
    Half the WWW relies on those 'freeware programmers' and the web
    doesn't show much sign of going 'out of business' :-)

    >It also started as
    >shareware/freeware. ecs was never free.


    Irrelevant. I didn't mention eCS in my reply - I simply pointed out
    that as a generalisation, "Anyone or any company who has to rely on
    freeware programmers to keep the product working, is out of business"
    - which is what you said - is, to be blunt, bull****. What have you
    got against freeware, for goodness sake?

    >Furthermore, linux software is
    >not even selling enough to make it worth the development cost; example
    >DB2.


    Maybe so, maybe no - I didn't discuss applications, I simply said that
    Linux was not 'out of business', thus contradicting your bald
    assertion regarding freeware.

    >Now stop the bull**** posts and take your ecs shilling and trolling
    >somewhere else. I suggest the ecs newsgroup.


    I'm discussing freeware generally, I never mentioned eCS. You did. I'm
    not going anywhere, especially not on your rather rude advice.

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores
    I am the history within'

  14. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    Michael Greene wrote:
    > Bob StJohn wrote:
    >
    >> The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> *Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    >>> course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    >>> advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Gee .. thanks, but these were uploaded to the eComStation site days
    >> ago. The eComStation Maintenence Tool has been updated to make the
    >> download and install of the updates automatic. Chuck McKinnis does a
    >> great job on these things
    >>
    >> Chuck is also very helpful as he explains whats new and changed in the
    >> updates. So, would you please tell us exactly what has been updated
    >> and what is the effect and importance to the user? Which users should
    >> apply these updates and why? Or did you just dash out to make some noise?
    >>

    >
    > Hey Bob,
    >
    > I think I emailed Chuck in the past that the new IBM Speedstep drivers
    > don't seem to work right with older Thinkpads. You know anything about
    > that?


    No. I think you need to wait for Chuck to respond. He can query IBM
    about the problem.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International
    >


  15. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    > Bob StJohn wrote:
    >
    >> The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> *Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    >>> course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    >>> advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Gee .. thanks, but these were uploaded to the eComStation site days ago.

    >
    >
    > Then you should list them as being available. You don't. Typical.


    Also typical, you didn't answer any of my questions. I recall you
    making a big deal about an update being proof of how IBM continued to
    enhance 'OS/2' .. but when the dust cleared, the "update" consisted of
    editing a readme file associated with a device driver.

    It's good to bring news .. but .. bring news .. genuine information, if
    you can.

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International
    >


  16. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 11:06:41 +0000 (UTC), "Frank Wochatz"
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 10:58:59 UTC, Mike Ross wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> >Bottom line: Anyone or any company who has to rely on freeware
    >> >programmers to keep the product working, is out of business.

    >>
    >> Linux seems to be doing just fine on that business model ;-)

    >
    >apples >< pears ;-)
    >
    >Linux is Open Source and you are able to download it for free.


    Oh sure - I was just pointing out that Mr. Letoured was talking utter
    nonsense in his blanket assertion regarding relying on freeware being
    a recipe for corporate disaster!

    Mike
    --
    http://www.corestore.org
    'As I walk along these shores
    I am the history within'

  17. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    > In <429fb523$0$965$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net>, on 06/02/2005
    > at 08:38 PM, Bob Stjohn said:
    >
    >
    >>The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>*Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    >>>course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    >>>advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.

    >
    >
    >>Gee .. thanks, but these were uploaded to the eComStation site days ago.
    >>The eComStation Maintenence Tool has been updated to make the download
    >>and install of the updates automatic. Chuck McKinnis does a great job on
    >>these things

    >
    >
    > FACT: You're relying on a freeware author to keep your one-man show
    > working --


    Gee .. that's not a fact. The fact is, many people and organizations are
    part of the development and support of eComStation. And SSI continues to
    contract for commercial development.

    Another fact is, most of the good OS/2 software being provided these
    days is being provided in just this manner and this has been the case
    for awhile. For one aspect of the situation, see
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23615

    Regards,
    Bob St.John
    Serenity Systems International

  18. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    z! has had a lot of development lately, but I havn't decided to release it
    just yet.

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 06:05:57 -0400, The OS/2 Guy wrote:

    :z! could use an update Dink.
    :
    :dinkmeister wrote:
    :> the excitement I get from updating my ide driver makes me so glad
    :> that I'm a "*real*" OS/2 user.
    :> *whew!* thanks for making my day
    :>
    :> best regards,
    :> - dink
    :>
    :> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 18:04:45 -0400, The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    :>
    :> :*Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    :> :course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    :> :advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.
    :> :
    :> :--
    :> r. Timothy Martin, The Official and Only OS/2 Guy
    :> :Warp City Web Site - http://www.warpcity.com
    :> :email: OS2Guy@Gmail.com OR eCSGuy@Gmail.com




  19. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    Can't you guys argue on the phone or something? It seems like you guys
    have a lot in common, like the need to argue constantly.


    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 08:32:37 -0500, Bob StJohn wrote:

    :The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    :> Bob StJohn wrote:
    :>
    :>> The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    :>>
    :>>
    :>>> *Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    :>>> course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    :>>> advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.
    :>>
    :>>
    :>>
    :>> Gee .. thanks, but these were uploaded to the eComStation site days ago.
    :>
    :>
    :> Then you should list them as being available. You don't. Typical.
    :
    :Also typical, you didn't answer any of my questions. I recall you
    :making a big deal about an update being proof of how IBM continued to
    :enhance 'OS/2' .. but when the dust cleared, the "update" consisted of
    :editing a readme file associated with a device driver.
    :
    :It's good to bring news .. but .. bring news .. genuine information, if
    :you can.
    :
    :Regards,
    :Bob St.John
    :Serenity Systems International
    :>




  20. Re: IBM Releases More OS/2 Updates...

    In <42a05f4b$0$963$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net>, on 06/03/2005
    at 08:44 AM, Bob Stjohn said:

    >letoured@nospam.net wrote:
    >> In <429fb523$0$965$8b463f8a@news.nationwide.net>, on 06/02/2005
    >> at 08:38 PM, Bob Stjohn said:
    >>
    >>
    >>>The OS/2 Guy wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>*Real* OS/2 users can install them immediately, of
    >>>>course, once downloaded. That's the privilege and
    >>>>advantage of having a *real* OS/2 operating system.

    >>
    >>
    >>>Gee .. thanks, but these were uploaded to the eComStation site days ago.
    >>>The eComStation Maintenence Tool has been updated to make the download
    >>>and install of the updates automatic. Chuck McKinnis does a great job on
    >>>these things

    >>
    >>
    >> FACT: You're relying on a freeware author to keep your one-man show
    >> working --


    >Gee .. that's not a fact. The fact is, many people and organizations are
    >part of the development and support of eComStation. And SSI continues to
    >contract for commercial development.


    Its all donated freeware work booby. You have no programmers on staff or
    on contract. Your entire development effort consists of donated work.
    That's the defination of a failed commericial product.




    >Another fact is, most of the good OS/2 software being provided these
    >days is being provided in just this manner and this has been the case
    >for awhile. For one aspect of the situation, see
    >http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23615


    So you're comparing your ecs to a dead or at best a maintenance-mode
    product. Thanks for confirming that ecs is dead with no where to go.




    >Regards,
    >Bob St.John
    >Serenity Systems International



+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast